Suitable Headphone Amp to drive AKG k701

I've recently bought a new AKG k701...hopefully it will arrive sometime this week....

I hope member of SNA can help me to chose a most suitable amp to drive this cans. My budget is < $1000 ....Please advise.

I've just done a quick search on the net and see people recommended the following Amp.

Talisman T-3H,

Corda Opera,

Lehmann Black Cube Linear

HeadSave Classic,

Stello HP100.

I've got a Talisman T-35HP (unsure how it compares with the T-3H), which I think is absolutely brilliant for the 701's. Allows them full dynamics, and plenty of detail. I don't think you need valves at all if the SS is up to the job (depending on the sound you like).

I've got a Talisman T-35HP (unsure how it compares with the T-3H), which I think is absolutely brilliant for the 701's. Allows them full dynamics, and plenty of detail. I don't think you need valves at all if the SS is up to the job (depending on the sound you like).
IIRC the 35P and 3H are essentially the same, but the 35P has a preamp.

Ben

Both Talisman's are the same, but the dearer one has preamp function AND gain selector (great for 701's) which is worth the money IMO. SS and valves both drive 701's, tubes aren't 'better' just different. Also consider Headamp GS-1, although out of budget. Don't skimp on amps with the 701's, get the best one you can afford.

I probably should add (sorry, my brain doesn't work sometimes) that out of your selection the Talisman is the better choice. Opera is great but you are paying for features you may not use (or may use depending on your setup) so check it out first. Talisman amps are dual mono so great for 701's, and probably the only choice for an amp at the $1000 price range IMO, will compete with dearer amps. I have owned a Talisman and if i bought another ss amp I would be looking at $2000+ to really get something extra sound wise I would think ie. Rudistor, Headroom. Warning - the 701's may not like cheaper/lesser amps!!:D Talisman's are very musical and versatile.

Sure, the Yammy is another option, I chose it over the Talisman because, well, it looks fantastic. Not a huge difference in sound to the Talisman though. Yammy/tubes=natural sound/slightly less detail Talisman/ss=slightly less natural/more detail/faster tighter bass. To my ears. Some peolpe say the Talisman has got a tube amp type sound, as i said though, very musical. The Opera has come down in price i see, not a bad option but do you need an inbuilt DAC etc.??

-Do you need USB/DAC etc. options?

-What type of sound do you like, what do you listen to? eg. detailed/fast or natural. Acoustic or electric?

-Have you tried the headphone jack of your speaker amp yet?(My ROTEL RA-05 is great).

-Do you want tubes or ss? Organic/natural vs detailed.

These are things to think about. Also think about the Ming DA from Coem audio. Read Bronal's review in the product review section (page 2). $450!, huge savings, he uses 701's as well. Nearly bought one myself but I already have the Yammy. We really need a pub to meet and talk about this;) the keyboard aint big enough, but the 4 points i made really make it simple, because it is! My personal choices:

SS - TALISMAN T35-HP (go for the gain switch!)

- OPERA (if you need the extra gadgets)

- HEADAMP GS-1 (over budget, long waiting time to build)

TUBE - YAMAMOTO HA-02

- MING DA (modified like Bronal's)

With these amps you are guaranteed satisfaction. Hope I'm not too annoying!:D Visit Headphonic, Marcus (the owner) uses a Talisman. These are only my opinions!!:D

Hello,

I've been using a Darkvoice 336i with my K701 and I must say it sounds great!! Highly recommended. And it's quite cheap too, maybe about 400ish.. You may be able to get a Darkvoice 332 for <$1000. Check out head-fi for other recommended amps

Akg is sort of "cold" sound due to its high definition and purity. The treble part is too sharp sometimes. To make it softer and warmer, I would suggest tube amps, dark voice 332 and little dot 3,4 are so nice for it. Meier and lehmanns are tube-like solid state amps though. If your budget is around "1000$" probablly you can try Meiers' their new amps "simp" is commikng out soon.

I own K701s, which I drive with the Ming Da and Lehmann Black Cube.

IMO the K701s need quite a lot of power to get the bass going.

The Lehmann sounds nice with them, but IMO is a little bit polite with rock and electronic music. However drives the AT W-5000s I bought from Braddo to perfection. Definitely horses for courses with headphones!

The Ming Da OTOH has power to spare (about 1.5 wpc AFAICT), as well as that glorious valve sound. In other words, it's two to three times more powerful than most other headphone amps. In fact, I use it with attenuators to provide more volume control. It has some residual hum and hiss, most of which can be got rid of by installing better valves and limiting the gain. The hum is no problem as you will never hear it with music playing.

But the Ming Da would be my pick. I don't know if Coem still have any, as they were clearing their stocks a few months ago.

Edited by bronal
Typo

Bronal is right. Don't mess around with 701's they NEED power, both the 701's AND you will be dissapointed if they don't get it. The MING DA sounds like a great deal second hand, if not, PLEASE visit HEADPHONIC.COM.AU for advice aswell. Read the forums there, heaps of happy 701/Talsiman owners. Unless you go with the OPERA, I think MEIER amps is underdoing it a bit. Just my opinion! Good Luck!

have anyone hear or know of this consonance headphone amp?

http://www.opera-consonance.com/products/cyber10usb.htm

I have a Cyber 20 which I use to run Senn HD600's and it's excellent. The Cyber 10 has inbuilt dac and can also power a pair of speakers.

I believe Greg has a Cyber 10 in stock. Terrific options for a small pair of speakers and cans run from a digital source.

Thank you all for your recommendation ....time for me to make decision.

I've have received the AKG K701 on Thursday last week out of the box it's look very solid and a beautiful ipod white look...my first impress with the cans.

1. sturdy, well build and comfortable.

2. sound thin and terrible without the amp.

3. tried it with my Woo audio 3 valve amp ....it's sound AWESOME...very huge soundstage and details compare to my existing HD600.