Sign in to follow this  
Cafad

Integrated Amps: An Addicts Guide Part, The Third.

Have you noticed the eBay photos have a Krell badge? What's going on there?

I've always been fascinated with this amp since seeing it on ebay. Do you think a person would be better off with a little class D amp or one of these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that would depend very much upon your speakers.  If they are efficient and/or easy to drive then the little Nobsound will do a good job, if they aren't then the class D will handle them better.  

Have you noticed the eBay photos have a Krell badge? What's going on there?

I noticed that too and it certainly grabbed my attention, but I suspect that it's just for show (or maybe an advertising ploy).

I had plans to do the little Nobsound next, then another, then the Stello and finish off with the big Xindak but as with life, plans change.  Once I heard the Xindak I had trouble moving away from it again, so, I changed plans.

One Xindak A600E (09), a beast of an amp at 53kg (57 packed).  I had high hopes for this amp and, I am happy to say, it surpassed every one of them.  It is easily the best of all the Chinese amps I have heard to date.  It beats out the Cayin S200 on power, control and detail, it leaves the Shengya 203MK in its dust as the Shengya just can't match it in the top end and its bass sounds thick and wooly in comparison to the Xindak.  I would mention the Tonewinner AD3 but since it didn't really have a top or a bottom end it's easily beaten by many amps out there.  I certainly prefer it to the Dussun V6i as well, as it has a much smoother character than the Dussun and just as much grunt, also the Dussun tended to be a bit forward where as the Xindak is very much not.  So, there you have it, my favourite Chinese amp, and by a considerable margin, none of the others come close.

Important details:  160Wpc into 8 Ohms and 320Wpc into 4 Ohms, so it very much an official member of the "Big Boys Club".  You get two unbalanced and one balanced input and an unbalanced power amp input for the connection of an external pre.  It uses 310 watts at idle (so at least a few of those 160 are in class A) and 550 watts max and the heat sinks sit at about 49 degrees in a 25 degree ambient room.  No closed cabinets for this puppy!  

Also, and this is more of a fun fact, every time I press the on button the lights in my flat dim.  This brings a smile to my face every time.

post-130663-0-78062500-1442794879_thumb.

post-130663-0-39267700-1442794891_thumb.

It also has one of the sexiest internals of any integrated I've seen.

post-130663-0-98048200-1442796036_thumb.

See what I mean?

Also, that's 120,000uF of capacitance per channel and that, my friends, is some serious stuff!

Now, down to brass tacks.

Highs:  Excellent definition and clarity, resolution and detail are high and there is not a trace of fragility to be found.  Piano is excellent as is brass (nicely raspy but very easy to listen to, not hard at all).  Triangle hits are a little bit, unique, nice to listen to but not quite like anything I have heard before, they don't really twinkle or sparkle it's more a sort of a glitter, odd but far from a deal breaker.  8.5

Mids:  Clarity and separation has to be heard to be believed, every instrument has its own space and none of them even come near to each other.  Vocals and strings really sing.  It is hard to believe that there can be so much detail on display and yet the performance sounds so musical.  9.0

Bass:  Effortless power and extremely fine definition.  I love the ability it has to differentiate between drums of different sizes and higher and lower Chello and Bass notes.  9.0

Vocals:  What I find very interesting here is that the vocals are not sweetened in any way, there is no extra 'breathiness' added to make songbirds sound sexier than they can manage to sound by themselves but there is a feeling of reality and clarity to them.  It certainly won't assist poor singers but it really makes you appreciate the good ones.

Female:  9.0  I really like this brand of honesty.

Male:  8.5, although I have a feeling that if I pushed the boundaries of my preferred music and listened to a broader range of male singers this may well increase to a 9.0.

2D Soundstaging:  Engaging and rhythmic, and somehow more fun to listen to than usual.  9.0

3D Soundstaging:  Not bad but I think it needs a larger room to really shine.  8.0

Overall Performance Integration:  

No preference is given to the mids, there is no rolling off of the top end or any overemphasis on the bass region, all are treated equally and the result is glorious.  The Xindak gives a dynamic performance in all three that is high on detail, grand in scale and yet also rhythmically engaging.  Probably the best amp I have heard, definitely the best amp I have heard on my speakers (with heartfelt apologies to the Plinius 9200 :( ) 

Ability to Emote:  Can carry you off into virtually any style of music, of note is that it performs 'eerie' songs very well, I've found that the ability of an amp to make you feel like you are lost on the misty moors (spooky woodwind type stuff) on a moonless night tends to be low if there is a high level of detail on display.  Not so here.  8.5

Electric Guitar Test:  Great scale and clarity but just a little too calm for a 9.0.  8.5  (needs a little more class B character to get that extra edge to its sound, but then that would muck up everything else, as it is pretty damn good)

80's Rock Test:  Very good but as with the EGT above, just a little too calm. 8.5

I gave the Xindak a run with both my Halcro EC800 and my Plinius CD101 and both sounded very good but it just seemed to synergize better with my old favourite Consonance CD120.  A little odd that the cheapest cd player in the room did the best job but I guess that's system synergy for you, there's just no predicting it.

Everything else is as per usual, Aurealis R1 interconnects and Redgum "Audio Pipeline" speaker cables were in use as were my Lenehan S2R speakers.  

And last but not least, just in case that 53kg didn't sink in up above, one of these was very useful in collecting the boxed Xindak from the neighbour that I had it delivered to.

post-130663-0-22949200-1442798079_thumb.

Now I am intrigued, that's a nice looking amp. Where did you manage to snag it from?

Probably the best amp I have heard, definitely the best amp I have heard on my speakers

Another cracking review and one that, courtesy of the above line, is bound to turn a few heads, raise a few eyebrows and produce a bunch of replies that feature "YMMV"

Now I am intrigued, that's a nice looking amp. Where did you manage to snag it from?

I sourced it from Cattylink, which is actually the same place I obtained the Cayin and the Shengya.  Don't think I'll be buying in anything in the near future though, the Auzzie dollar is just too crappy ATM.

Another cracking review and one that, courtesy of the above line, is bound to turn a few heads, raise a few eyebrows and produce a bunch of replies that feature "YMMV"

Yeah, I suppose I could throw in a few disclaimers but anyone reading a review thread should know by now that performance is subjective and every preference is personal and you really should be demo-ing any amp that is not within easy reach of your budget.  

Unless you're comfortable with the risk, if that's the case then there's nothing stopping you.

Also, and this is more of a fun fact, every time I press the on button the lights in my flat dim.  This brings a smile to my face every time.

That line brought a smile to my face  :thumb:

That line brought a smile to my face  :thumb:

Glad you liked it.  It's not an exaggeration either, my smile is still dying down from when I turned on the amp earlier this afternoon.   :D

I do foresee a possible problem however.  I changed over from the Xindak to a little Sugden Mystro last weekend and just couldn't bring myself to listen to anything, there's nothing wrong with the little Sugden but it just isn't in the same league as the Xindak.  Then I swapped the Mystro for a Stello AI500, and, as good as the Stello is (and it is, I've given this one an extensive listen earlier in the month) it also was not the Xindak.  

So I'm back on the Xindak this weekend, and damn it's good!  Telegraph Road never sounded this good before.  

I hope everyone enjoys their weekend.  I'm off to occupy a comfy recliner for a few hours, cheers guys!

This seems like it would suit me just fine and although I  cannot buy anything just now, this amplifier has been duly noted and added to  a list of future candidates.

The review had my utmost attention and from the description/s it seems to be the duck's nutz

Now I just need to work on that patience virtue, one which I sorely lack sometimes :)

I want someone to review the Parasound Halo integrated. Don't want to buy one, just interested in how it performs.

This seems like it would suit me just fine and although I  cannot buy anything just now, this amplifier has been duly noted and added to  a list of future candidates.

The review had my utmost attention and from the description/s it seems to be the duck's nutz

Now I just need to work on that patience virtue, one which I sorely lack sometimes :)

Ah yes, patience, who really has any time for it these days.  A relic of the past I say.  

Definitely check out the A600E if you have the chance Rantan, I'd go as far as to say that it's so good it is not only the duck's nutz but also the cat's pajamas.

It's my current "Amp of the Decade" at any rate.

I want someone to review the Parasound Halo integrated. Don't want to buy one, just interested in how it performs.

I believe @@Kamikaze has bought one just recently as mentioned in the, rather appropriately named, "Parasound Halo Integrated Anyone?" thread.  I'm waiting on him to make an observation or two.  (I thought about offering to run it in for him but that seemed like it might be a bit too forward, in a 'creepy' sort of way)

Edited by Cafad

I believe @@Kamikaze has bought one just recently as mentioned in the, rather appropriately named, "Parasound Halo Integrated Anyone?" thread.

Well, I have, but it's still at the store. Awaiting another couple of $1000 from me and picking up.

Unfortunately, I can not really use it effectively until probably about December, as I'm moving house in 4-6 weeks, and this was purchased for the new house. In the mean time, it will just sit in a box at my house... so if you are in Brisbane/Gold Coast area, and would like to run it in for me, I could be up for some negotiation. PM me?

Endearing Creepy Jeffro. :)

Yes... yes... creepy in the good way... of course... because creepy works like that. :unsure:

Well, I have, but it's still at the store. Awaiting another couple of $1000 from me and picking up.

Unfortunately, I can not really use it effectively until probably about December, as I'm moving house in 4-6 weeks, and this was purchased for the new house. In the mean time, it will just sit in a box at my house... so if you are in Brisbane/Gold Coast area, and would like to run it in for me, I could be up for some negotiation. PM me?

PM'ing away.  (That's the fastest PM I've typed in a while.)

Well Daz, Kamikaze and I worked out an arrangement and last weekend I collected his Halo Integrated amp and brought it back to my place.  it has passed its 100 hour run in phase and critical listening will start tonight (or possibly an hour ago, but that's just one of those unnecessary details really so pay no attention to it).  I expect I'll get the review up (or at least well underway) by the end of the weekend so be sure to stay tuned.

The packaging is first class.  A box suspended within another box and both made of nice thick cardboard, very nice.

post-130663-0-96634800-1444376377_thumb.

Been away for work all week. Was meaning to ask how things were going, but this explains it!

Waiting for what to come!