Sign in to follow this  
Cafad

Integrated Amps: An Addicts Guide Part, The Third.

.....and now for the Plinius V Ragnarok showdown :)

Hope you find a CD spinner to suit Jeff, would be a very interesting union.

Sounds like a keeper. :)

Thanks Daz, actually my bank account has already squealed in agony on that topic earlier today.  Remember that Plinius CD 101 that Krispy had for sale in the Commercial section of the classifieds?  Well it isn't for sale any longer.  It is on its way to my lounge room right this minute.

.....and now for the Plinius V Ragnarok showdown :)

Well someone has to do these things.

And it's here! 

I like this living within cooee of civilization stuff where I can order something from Victoria on Monday and have it delivered to my door on Wednesday.  I'm used to waiting until the following Tuesday.  

I know the lighting is terrible, but I must say that I don't really care all that much.

post-130663-0-56575600-1434524793_thumb.

And in the rack next door.

post-130663-0-43969900-1434524912_thumb.

Again with the bad lighting and again with the not really being very concerned about it, there's plenty of time for better pics later.  I'm giving them an hour to get used to each other and then I'm demanding perfection!  :)

And on a different note.  Hey Cameron (@@Krispy Audio) you wouldn't have happened to leave a disc in the drawer of the player would you?

(Yeah, it's a trick question that one.)

Would the album name "Christmas Interpretations" by Boyz 2 Men assist in that brain racking?

hahaha, that'd be even funnier if i wasn't a mad Boyz II Men fan as a teenager. Oh dear, that's enough from me, I'll be on my way now

I was talking to Cameron via PM last night and he skirted responsibility for the disc and insinuated that "the wife may have been to blame".  

He was remarkably believable. 

It wouldn't be the first time one of us has blamed the wife.

Looking forward to hearing how the Plini spinner performs with its brethren.

Peachtree sold locally a day after it arrived home.

Good to hear mate.  Things are starting to move in the second hand market again, it must be the end of the financial year.

OK, so the CD 101 is back from its surgery (the tray now does as it is told) and the two Pliniuses are back together again.  I've given the CD-101 its one hundred hour run in (because I'm convinced that it wasn't fully run in, even though it was second hand) and am eagerly waiting for my audio nirvana to arrive.

post-130663-0-86240400-1439171535_thumb.

They really do work well together.  Both the top and bottom end of the 9200 have improved with the addition of the CD-101 and they were pretty damn good to begin with.  Fast, solid sound with both a musical top and bottom end.  Life is good!

This may just be endgame level audio ladies and gents.  I suppose only time will tell.

OK, so how do you type a word that is pronounced as Plin-eee-eye?  Does the double 'i' do it in Plinii?

Plinius Pluralus?

Even the mighty Google is not very helpful on this one, apparently you just don't get plural versions of family names.

Perhaps some sort of poll is called for.

I do miss my Plini'usses - I'm scouting for a Hautonga right now which does have remote source select, but is otherwise the same amp. I had one while in Sydney but sold it sadly, I'm having trouble finding any in the pre-loved market and they are still a bit $$$ new. Nice work, and I did match it with ha CD-101 for a while, and yes it was awesome.

I have to say that I have also owned a 9200 and 8200, I always thought that the they all had legions of bass, and that this was one of the Plinius sound signatures, very controlled, to the extent that I had no problem winding the wick up to some serious SPL, without wondering of my speakers were going to loose it.

Dazza's version has my vote: Plinii.

+1. You may wish to given them individual names to help identify them. In your case, I suspect the amp would be Pliny the Elder.

Edited by krebetman

Jam a big SA reference under them all Jeffro.

Now THAT would be some serious Plinii. Ka Mate Ka Mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Darren69

+1. You may wish to given them individual names to help identify them. In your case, I suspect the amp would be Pliny the Elder.

You found those references too huh?  Not much else is there?

They are different colours so I could go with Silver and Stealthy (that satin/carbon black makes me think of stealth material for some reason).

Or

Since the amp has had a harder life than some, with a few nicks and scratches, Scarface could work.  Hmmmm....

Jam a big SA reference under them all Jeffro.

Now THAT would be some serious Plinii. Ka Mate Ka Mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we'd need to put three "i"s on the end then Daz.

Pliniuii

Asking a Kiwi to pronounce that would be hilarious.

Edited by THOMO

Plin-eee-ewe-eye... I like it!

And there's that too.

Pliniuii

Why not call the NZ helpline --they will put you right :D

W

NZ1.jpg

Bled-is-loe (a cup held for like forever by the Kiwis)

Now gents, let's not get into that whole trans Tasman rivalry issue.  

The only trans Tasman rivalry I'm interested in is how well the new Burson Integrated (still not announced yet, damn it!) stacks up against the Plinius 9200.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By timelord9
      Item: Vincent Audio SV237. Black. 
      Price: 1300 dollarydoos.
      Item Condition: Excellent
      Reason for selling: Raising capital for domestic transducer development.
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, COD Only
      Extra Info: Purchased 2nd hand last year, this amp has seen very little use. I have the original box, but its super heavy and (at this stage) would prefer not to post. The amp is in perfect working order and buyers can demo with my Focals. Pick up from Thornbury or Abbotsford.  

Specs: 
      Frequency Response: 20 Hz - 20 kHz +/- 0.5 dB, 20 Hz - 50 kHz +/-2 dB Nominal Output Power RMS / 8 Ohm: 2 x 150 Watt Nominal Output Power RMS / 4 Ohm: 2 x 250 Watt Nominal Output Power Class A / 8 Ohm: 2 x 10 Watt Harmonic Distortion: < 0.1 % (1 kHz, 1 Watt) Input Sensitivity: 300 mV Signal-Noise Ratio: > 90 dB Input Impedance: 47 kOhm Inputs: 4 x Stereo RCA, 1 USB Outputs: 1 x Stereo RCA Pre Out, 1 x Stereo RCA Rec Out, 4 x 2 Speaker Terminal, 2 x 3.5 mm Jack (Power Control) Tubes: 1 x 12AX7; 2 x 6N1P-EV Colour: Black  Weight: 20.4 kg Dimensions (WxHxD): 430 x 152 x 435 mm  
      Comes with remote. 

Note: This is the original SV237. The link below is with the updated digital input.

https://www.vincent-tac.de/en/product-lines/tubeline/sv-237mk.html

Photos: 

• By olegau
      Item: HiFi stereo system
      Price: 1200
      Item Condition: very good
      Reason for selling: too many stereo systems
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:

Carefully selected Hi-Fi stereo system. All in good condition and working order.

Separated sale:

1. ROTEL RA-980BX Integrated Amplifier $390
      The amp was checked and serviced recently.
      It has OP amp sockets, DIYer could change the OP amps to get different sound. Open the the top cover and then change the OP-Amp you like.
      There are three pairs of Ops: original AD712 (vintage sift sound, JRC4558 (modern  more clean and detailed sound) and LM4562 (bit more detaied). Currently installed LM4562. Many other OP-Amp suits for this amp.. 
      Power output: 100 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)
      Total harmonic distortion: 0.03%
      Dimensions: 440 x 121 x 347mm
      Weight: 10.1kg
      https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/rotel/ra-980.shtml
      Example:

2. Speakers: Ascension Woodfox Ribbon 822SRTL Bookshelf Speakers. $890
      Dimentions: 500 H, 270mm W and 315mm Depth. Weight is approximately 18kg each. High quality woofer using an Papyrus cone, ribbon tweeter, Rose Mahogany Veneer.
      Two years old.
      Power 120W
      8 ohms
      Sensitivity 91db

3.  Sold.  Subwoofer: Infinity Primus PS-8 $170
      See spec attached
      Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By aris
      Item: Yamaha A-S1000 Integrated Amplifier (Black)
      Location: Melbourne (Local pickup only, I don't have the box).
      Price: $700 (was $850).
      Item Condition: Good
      Reason for selling: Clearing out the 2nd system
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:

Specifications are available on Yamaha's site - https://au.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/hifi/a-s1000/index.html

At 105W in to 8Ohm (220W into 2Ohm) this has no trouble driving Harbeths and PMC's.

Note, I'm not the first owner (I purchased through a local (Melb) seller on SNA about 12-18 months ago).

I'm currently running Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 with this amplifier, and it really is a great match.

The amplifier has MM and MC phono stage, currently using a Rega Planar 3 (MM) very nicely.

I don't have the original remote, but use a universal Logitec to good effect, which I'll include in the bundle if the buyer wants it (nothing fancy, does the job - volume, input selection etc).

There is one minor dint along the top faceplate (see 1st photo, above the Balance knob).

One of the great features is the Direct Input, which allows you to run a pre-amp into it (I'm using a RME DAC to good effect).

Photos:

• By Karel
      Item: Cambridge Audio Azur 540A
      Price: $100
      Item Condition: Very good
      Reason for selling:  No longer used
      Payment Method: Pickup only
      Extra Info:

Old favourite, great sound for little money.  No remote. Very good condition.

Manual & specs:  https://techsupport.cambridgeaudio.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/205263809/Azur_540A-640A_User_Manual_-_English.pdf

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By DubbyMcDubs
      Item: Cayin CS-88A Integrated Valve Amplifier
      Price: $2,750 ono
      Item Condition: Mint, As New
      Reason for selling: Upgrading/Change of direction
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, EFT, Paypal + 2.6%, COD Only
      Extra Info:

I have owned this amp since July this year. Originally purchased in preparation for a setup with Klipsch Cornwall III speakers, however I went a different route and ultimately purchased Revel M106’s. While this is an exceptional sounding valve amplifier it is not really matched well with the Revel’s and I will be upgrading to a Benchmark system. The build quality is exceptional, regardless of price. Selling to help fund the upgrade.

This amp is in mint as-new condition, with no more that 5 hours use on it total. I have all of the original packaging and accessories. 19 months warranty remaining.

Retails for $3,499. Selling $2,750 ono

Happy to post if buyer pays postage, but realize its a very heavy item.

Specifications

Power Output: 25 Watts per channel (Triode) 45 Watts per channel (Ultra-Linear) Frequency Response: 10Hz - 42kHz (-3dB) Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): 1% (1kHz) Signal to Noise (S/N) Ratio: 93dB Line-Level Inputs: Two Phono Input (MM) Pre-Amp Input: One stereo preamp input – allows the CS-88A to be used as a power amp only Construction: Hand-made construction with silver point-to-point wiring Power Supply: Specially designed toroid transformer for the power supply Pre-Amplifier: Two 6SL7 and two 6SN7 valves are used in the preamp stage Four KT88 valves are used in Class AB1 push-pull output stage Triode and Ultra-linear selection via remote Bias Adjustment: Easy valve bias adjustment using the top mounted bias meter Rear Panel Switch: Switch easily between the supplied KT88 output valves or optional EL34 valves via a convenient rear panel switch Remote Control Soft Start Function: 30 second soft start function - extends the life of internal components and valves Memory: CS-88A stores last usage settings once turned off Volume Control: High-quality Japanese ALPS motorised potentiometer (volume control) Silver Plating: Heavily silver-plated signal cables are used throughout Cover: An easily removed cover is provided for protection from hot valves Speaker Binding Posts: Accepts Banana plugs or spade terminals Output Impedance: 4 Ohms and 8 Ohms Power Cord: Standard IEC that can be easily upgraded. Dimension (WxHxD): 420 × 195 x 382 mm Net Weight: 28kg
      Photos: