Cafad

Integrated Amps: An Addicts Guide Part, The Third.

33 minutes ago, Cafad said:

That little Audile of yours does sound good, but you know me and light bulbs valves, we just don't go together.

We have ways of making you go together....:)

1 minute ago, Rob181 said:

Nah. I reckon he will love the Naim, which is about as non tubey as you can get. The 80's rock test will be something to behold😀

Geez @Cafad...look what happens...

Express a truthful negative opinion...

And they come out of the wood work...

Haven't seen this much action since...

Since the free bonks at a brothel ad...

32 minutes ago, Gremrock said:

I'm not sure why, they provide the grungy soft/warm mid that you complain about the ML2's lacking in spades.. Perhaps not necessary on the ML3's... This little beast sounds NEARLY as good as the Magnus for maybe 1 fifth the price..

Well I like my grungy soft/warm mids to be the result of transistors.  (Did I actually say that about the ML2s?  I'm really hoping I didn't.)

That Stereo Knight Pre of yours being a noteworthy exception.

Valve amps certainly have their place and they are really good at what they do but what they do is not the rock music that (mostly) floats my boat.

8 minutes ago, Rob181 said:

You'll need some decent "persuading" gear, I assure you it'll take more than just thumb screws to start me along that path.

I am not disagreeing with Cafad or Rantan, I was just flummoxed by Rantan agreeing with Cafad and then using words that seemed to be the opposite of what Cafad had agreed with, for example in regards to detail and clarity which Cafad cited from the What Hi-Fi review synopsis that Rantan described as "watery vanilla custard"?

Relax lads, geez,  really you can't believe a published magazine review? Naahh, that can't be true.....can it?

you can buy the stereo knight.. I want a Suprtek, this thing is too Solid State for me.. Perfect for you really..

Plus I can't afford the Supratek unless this sells :( :( :(

2 minutes ago, Gremrock said:

you can buy the stereo knight

Good try...what is The Man from Integrated...

Going to do with a Pre Amp...bloody expensive door stop...

3 minutes ago, Gremrock said:

you can buy the stereo knight.. I want a Suprtek, this thing is too Solid State for me.. Perfect for you really..

Plus I can't afford the Supratek unless this sells :( :( :(

I'm all integrated up at the moment and not chasing a pre but if I were a tubed component that sounds "too solid state"  would be just like what I'd be chasing.  If only they made an integrated.

I would be interested in putting it in front of my Halcro for a few albums though, that could be fun. 

You busy on the weekend?

1 minute ago, Cafad said:

You busy on the weekend

Noooooo...this is not a dating site...

Just now, Rob181 said:

Good try...what is The Man from Integrated...

Going to do with a Pre Amp...bloody expensive door stop...

You never know, he might want a proper system one day :P

14 minutes ago, pete_mac said:

I don’t get the grief...

Personally, I find it very useful when blokes like cafad and rantan post about their thoughts on the sound of different pieces of gear.

I know their thoughts on gear that I’ve had the pleasure (or at times, displeasure!) of hearing, so when they say something is good or bad, I tend to believe them more than a reviewer for a paid publication. It’s all about context, and it works well for me. 

Each to their own I guess. People have their own preferences at the end of the day. 

Exactly right. Absolutely no reason that two people reviewing a component in a different system with a different pair of ears and perhaps different sonic preferences should hear the same thing and value the component the same way.

No one ever suggests that a review should replace one's own listening audition. I for one bought an amplifier that Cafad was less enamoured with combined with a few of his pairs of speakers. In my system, it is by a quite distinct distance, the best amp/speaker (Celestion A3’s) combination that I’ve experienced in my room. None of that means Cafad’s review was wrong; rather that the amp didn’t match as well sonically in one system as it did in another and two listeners might prefer slightly different sonic signatures. Likewise, there is no reason that other listeners might not absolutely love the Sony being discussed here.

I remember about 10 years ago, getting absolutely caned on Audiogon for stating that I preferred the sound of the Avalon Indra’s to that of the Magico V3’s. Some angry dude started banging on that I didn’t understand the value proposition of the Magicos!😀 My reply was that to me the value proposition was simple: $30k speakers I don’t especially like the sound of = of no value to me! Boy was he pissed off!😀😀

Sorry for the digression but this discussion just reminded me of the simple catch-phrase: “different strokes for different folks”. How true it is - always try for yourself as there’s no reason you won’t hate what a reviewer loves and vice-versa. Certainly, there’s never a need to take umbrage at any member for expressing their honest and unpaid thoughts, even if you might disagree.

5 minutes ago, Cafad said:

I'm all integrated up at the moment and not chasing a pre but if I were a tubed component that sounds "too solid state"  would be just like what I'd be chasing.  If only they made an integrated.

I would be interested in putting it in front of my Halcro for a few albums though, that could be fun. 

You busy on the weekend?

3 minutes ago, Rob181 said:

Noooooo...this is not a dating site...

Perfect time to drop the "I'll have to ask my fiancee" line haha

4 minutes ago, Gremrock said:

You never know, he might want a proper system one day :P

Ooh them's fightin' words.  Scrap the GTG plans, it's pistols at noon in the town square.

1 minute ago, Cafad said:

it's pistols at noon in the town square

Can you do that in public...

2 minutes ago, Rob181 said:

Can you do that in public...

Depends on the town charter.

Probably more likely to get away with it at midnight.

Edited by Cafad

I'll be too busy listening to "the little audile" light bulbs and all to make to appointment.

Also a touch on topic, I wasn't charging in armed about the paid review above, just merely commenting that you'll rarely find a review thats not glowing about a product in a magazine, because who'll pay you to tell people you didn't like their new toy?

On topic! 

Oh, alright then.

I note that the linked review was actually using the Sony ES source so it is entirely possible that they work far better together than they do apart, that is how Sony would market them.  There's also the different speakers, different room and different ears possibilities to take into account too. 

As Hensa mentioned a little while ago, the term "Different strokes for different folks" is about the only hard and fast rule in this hobby of ours.  

In general the Sony was met with quite positive reviews when it launched but it was the tone of those reviews that had me thinking it might not have been as good as Sony wanted it to be.  On the surface they seemed positive but they had a mixed feel to some of them, which just made me all the more curious to try the TA-A1ES myself.  I didn't like it  but I really wanted to try it and I wouldn't have been happy until I had.  Now that I have I can move on.

Edited by Cafad