Cafad

Integrated Amps: An Addicts Guide Part, The Third.

I got into a little impromptu tomfoolery today.  Actually it started last night.  I decided to move my S2R speakers out of rotation for a while and cycle the ML2 Ltds in.  While the stands were unoccupied I applied the racing stripes I've been meaning to get to for a while now.  They're low key but I like 'em.

Once the ML2s were back in action, with newly cleaned connectors (via a liberal application of deoxit gold and a not quite so liberal application of elbow grease) I put on some music for a bit, watched a little TV and went to bed.  This morning I watched more TV but eventually I reached my fill and had the urge to do something else.  So I decided to do some amp comparing.  I have on hand in the lounge the Xindak A600E, Simons Zeus Integrated and one Technical Brain TB-ZERO/int.  The amp in the system at the time of speaker changeover was the Zeus so it went first.  Also the cd in the YBA at the time of speaker changeover was one of the many versions available of Guns and Roses Greatest Hits, so it stayed in use throughout the day.  So while it is far from a definitive test of each amps abilities it was quite a fun test of them.

IMG_0635.thumb.JPG.bd72ba2968c6984eff600497b7c24683.JPG

IMG_0636.thumb.JPG.52948530697a1a48aca9cbaad65961fc.JPG

IMG_0637.thumb.JPG.d71d93f1c894d5f4b9444816fef7833e.JPG

Like I said, understated racing stripes.  Also overstated fingerprint smudges, I'll deal with those later.

I'll start with the strengths of each amp, the Zeus has electric guitars that make my heart sing and my spine tingle.  They have both zing and bite in equal measure.  It has enough grunt to give excellent bass and enough refinement to render piano and cymbal taps both clean and clear.  

The Xindak has drums that are so damn fast and full of impact they put me in mind of a string of grenades going off, the drum intro to You Could Be Mine just blew me away. 

Pretty much everyone should have an idea by now that ML2s sound generally good most of the time but to really get them to wake up you really need some extra watts.  Well the Xindak had the ML2s by the short and curlies even down at 8 o'clock on the dial.  It has so much noticeable power on tap it really does put me in mind of theoretical phrases like "Irresistible Force" and since the ML2s are only really a "Difficult to Move Object" sonically, they are no match for it.  The Xindak gives good bass, and those amazingly awesome drums, even at very soft volume levels.

The Technical brain has detail and delicacy which don't quite cut it in this particular comparison I'm afraid.  I'm sure I'll have more to say on this at a later date but for now I'll just leave it at that.  It just doesn't excite as well as the other two amps do with this particular material,  It can certainly play in the same league as the other two but since it has less gain the volume dial has to be twisted around to about 2am to match the Xindak on 9pm. 

The TB is suffering from mis-matched bal to unbal connectors at the moment but I have taken steps to remedy that, more tests like this one will follow once things on order have arrived.

Weaknesses.

The only thing that belongs in here is the matter of the Xindak's mid range.  I swear it is not as clear as it should be.  I can hear something rough-ish in the background and that is clouding out the secondary instruments.  I sought to find out if this was due to the preamp stage by trialing the Xindak with my Burson Conductor, and then with a Schiit SYS but it was still there.  After opening the amp up and shining a torch over it I came to the conclusion that the wires from the preamp stage run too close (as in just a few mm away) to the right hand speaker connections on the back of the amp.  I tried to move them but they have very little slack so I'm going to pick up a short length of conduit from work and use it as a spacer/shield to see if that makes a difference.  After the amazing drums finding any sonic fault with the Xindak was a real downer, let me tell you.

If I wanted to get really picky I could say that I am a bit disappointed that the TB doesn't sound as good at low volume as the other two do, but yeah, that's really picky.  It is probably also due to the TB expecting the added db of a balanced signal and not getting it so it might not be a valid complaint anyway.

I'll definitely do this again soon, with a different choice of music.

Edited by Cafad
typo

It uses 8 pairs of Sanken 2SA1295/2SC3264, which are Epitaxial Planar Transistors. 

3 amps, no Mosfets to be found.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MAXXX
      Item: Yarland Ariand Auklet 845
      Price: A$ 2450
      Item Condition: Excellent
      Reason for selling: Upgrade 
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: Integrated tube amplifier for sale.Due to heavy weight I prefer local buyers, happy to demo.  If not sold locally, I can organize StarTrack couriers for delivery with tracking for $100.

-Power Tube : 845 x 2   (brand new pair of  Psvane 845)  + spare Shuguang 845        
      -Voltage Regulator Tube: 2A3 x 2  
      -Impulse Tube: 6N8P x2
      -Signal Tube: ECC83 x 2
      -Working State : Class A / Single-end
      -Bias Voltage State : Self-bias
      -Rated Full - Power Bandwidth : 4~8Ohms,  20Hz to 20kHz +/-1dB (@ input : 1V)
      -Maximum Output Power : 25W
      -Output Load Impedance : 4Ohm~8Ohm.
      -SNR : 89dB
      -Channel Balance : <0.5dB
      -Input Impedance At 1kHz : 100k
      -Input Terminal : Cd / Aux / Line / AV / XLR
      -Output Terminal : Line-output
      -Power Consumption : 480W
      -Voltage rated : 230Vac 50/60Hz  Class I 
      -Product Size : 450 * 450 * 260(mm)
      -Weight : 28 Kg
      -With Volume Remote Control 

Pictures:

• By Aibynn
      My apologies if this isn't the right place for this question.

Yesterday I turned on my Xindak monoblock and it shat itself. Smoke, all of that good stuff.

Was wondering if anyone could recommend someone good to take it to for repair?

Cheers!
    • By atsq
      Item: Bottlehead Crack OTL Tube Headphone Amp with Speedball and upgrades
      Price: $695. Pick up preferred. 
      Item Condition: Excellent
      Reason for selling: Too many amps. Not enough use. 
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: 
      This amp has been stained beautifully and looks much better than stock. 
      Also has stepped attenuator upgrade (makes a noticeable difference) and gold pointy feet (never could tell if it helped). 
      Also included are some nice tubes worth about $70+ on their own: The Svetlana Winged C 6H13C power tube which is known for it's clarity and 12AU7 Mullard input tube. 

Bonus: I also have a late year (2016) build (which are the best units) Beyerdynamic T1 headphone (first version with better clarity than version 2) that accepts Audeze mini-XLR input. 
      It's in excellent condition and combines magically with the Crack amp; I'll be selling it for $695 as well. If you buy both the amp and the T1, take $50 off. 
      I also have a balanced (4 pin XLR) Norne Draug V2 cable which brings out the best from the T1. I will be selling it for $295.  If anyone wants all three items, take $100 off the total. 

Pictures:

• By alexb
      Item: Vitus SIA-025 Integrated Amplifier - RRP US$27,000
      Price: $10,000
      Item Condition: Mint condition in original box with accessories
      Reason for selling: Need the funds so my system needs to go!
      Payment Method: Local pickup or direct deposit for interstate buyers
      Extra Info: 
      Basically the best integrated amp money can buy and better than most separates! Pure class A 25Wpc switchable to class AB 100Wpc. Don’t be fooled by the numbers, the solid state electronics provide immense power but with tube-like holographic imaging. This is a preamp and monoblocks (SM-010 moaural amplifiers) in a single box. The result is five inputs (balanced and unbalanced), a preamplifier output for bi-amping purposes and balanced speaker outputs.

At 40kg, it is built like a Bentley and feels extremely refined with no expense spared in its construction. Beautiful remote that is only available with the Signature and Masters series products. Also includes the original Vitus power cable which is better than many commercial audiophile cables and Vitus packaging. 230v version.

Dimensions: 43.5w x 43d x 13h cm

The reviews speak for themselves:

• By alexb
      Item: Vitus SIA-025 Integrated Amplifier - RRP US$27,000
      Price: $10,500
      Item Condition: Mint condition in original box
      Reason for selling: Need the funds so my system needs to go!
      Payment Method: Local pickup or direct deposit for interstate buyers
      Extra Info: 
      Basically the best integrated amp money can buy and better than most separates! Pure class A 25Wpc switchable to class AB 100Wpc. Don’t be fooled by the numbers, the solid state electronics provide immense power but with tube-like holographic imaging. This is a preamp and monoblocks (SM-010 moaural amplifiers) in a single box. The result is five inputs (balanced and unbalanced), a preamplifier output for bi-amping purposes and balanced speaker outputs.

At 40kg, it is built like a Bentley and feels extremely refined with no expense spared in its construction. Beautiful remote that is only available with the Signature and Masters series products. Also includes the original Vitus power cable which is better than many commercial audiophile cables and Vitus packaging. 230v version.

Dimensions: 43.5w x 43d x 13h cm

The reviews speak for themselves:

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2012/12/20/mini-review-vitus-audio-sia-025-integrated-amplifier/

http://www.kogaudio.com/pdf/SIA025TAS.pdf

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/59432-vitus-sia-025-integrated-amp/