Sign in to follow this  
LHC

Continental vs Michelin vs Goodyear

Every time I drive in the wet now I miss the Michelin. 

I had a ridiculous amount of power in my VT2 HSV and we all know it’s not the most advanced tech but the Michelins were phenomenal. 

The Golf has Hankooks on it and the bloody traction control goes off all the time. I hate it. 

Also been watching a lot of vids on the Golf R Wolfsburg wagon and they all recommend binning the Conti in favour of the Michelin. 

For now I’ll have to live with my 103kw pretending it’s an “R” 

9B1BE5C2-D581-4BD7-B3DF-4D7F613D5020.jpeg

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

@Sierra the pirelli's seem to be doing pretty well ! :)

The Pirelli P-Zero's are certainly working well on my car Al.   :)

Wet and dry grip is excellent and instils confidence when driving.

They are much better than the Continental Max Contact MC5 that I had on previously.

15 hours ago, betty boop said:

@Sierra the pirelli's seem to be doing pretty well ! :)

Tyres, tyres, tyres.

I think I've mentioned it before, but if one is reading reviews it bears repeating:

The presentation of the performance graphs is MISLEADING in that the differences are grossly exaggerated. In most cases the differences in the top tier tyres are less than 5%!

The other caution I would issue is that I would expect new tyres (of the same quality) to always feel better than old and well-worn ones. If they don't, then something is probably wrong. I know that I was always impressed by new tyres even if they were the identical model as the ones replaced.

Sticking to the serenitys fitted to my 108kW rocketship. :)

Posted (edited)

Ever since I tried Toyo Teo tires some 15 years ago - never went back to Bridgestone/Goodyear etc...

Toyo just last and last and are as comfortable as you like. Teo have long since been obsoleted, however Neo's are just as good.

edit: obviously not a performance tire, didn't get the gist of the Topic before posting...

Edited by zippi

Tyre wear/endurance is massively affected by the steering/suspension geometry, to the point where a soft tyre may last longer than a harder tyre.

Don't know why I'm saying that, except I'm dealing with a scrub radius issue at the moment.

Do you really think there is a big difference between the tyres you have restricted choice to ?

This shiraz is nice...

On 15/07/2019 at 8:15 AM, DRC said:

on the not recommended side - KUMHO ECSTA LE SPORT KU39

got them on my XF Jag. They flat spot over night are a very noisy until they sort themselves out, it feels like the wheels are badly out of balance for the first 5-10 kms travelled.

YUK to that lot then...