The sound of a modded line magnetic LM-502CA – modded by Lansche plasma guy (LPG)

Hi guys

This DAC seems to have everyone agree its good, no faults, no complaints...it just does everything veery very well and it's easily modded which is why I want one ;)

Where can one get it for best price ?

I was thinking of buying AYA II dac based on 1541 (or build a kit) as its well regarded and I know the company owner...but lack of XLR and tube output combined with $$$price gets it out of my reach.

Thought of AMB (or something similar) Laboratories y3 (gamma 3) but am unsure what the heck is thal all about as its so complicated to figure out what kits do I need to build one.

I was a bit sceptic of this DAC as it uses new hi-res mumbo jumbo chips (ESS) which if not properly implemented (read $$$ ) wil not be musical...detailed YES but over the years I learned that over-detaileness sizzle n pop can ruin musical experience which is why I downgraded (or upgraded ? lol ) from all sorts of expensive SS gear and speakers to those who bear the attribute of "musicality". So now my system is DIY AK 4396 DAC + DIY ECC88 preamp + Mark Levinson 27.5 power + Linn Sara Isobaric speakers all of which have one or more aspects to their sound that are rarely beatable at the price and are "musical" and the sound is sheer pleasure.

I would really like to upgrade my top end and settle for a while so I decided on this dac (almost) ... I am though not sure if it can act as a preamp or if it has a remote or some sort of attenuation ? I saw couple of solutions on Alibaba for DAC volume control based on potentiometers/diodes/resistors with displays and electronics so that is an option if this one os not remotely controllable with volume function.

Also if there is another DAC similar to character of this one that would suit my system please advise. I've seen other ESS dacs ,namely GD AUDIO that have waaay more parts inside (transformers wimas, caps ,dac chips per channel) but I havent heard any of those and I see them often in classifieds, giving me thoughts owners may not be happy with them. Pricewise they're the same as Line Magnetic. Btw chips I like are TDA1541, PCM63 PCM1704 and AK. So far very little experience with ESS.

Sry 4 long post and thanks 4 help

Mark

I'm listening to my lightly modded 502 right now (tube rolled) and it is one magnificent dac. One of my best buys I reckon. Awesome smooth detailed weighty music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I purchased mine online with alibaba or whomever they are, and it arrived 8 days later with an AU molded plug on a very decent cord in a sealed box.  All trannies say 230v.  It was way less than half price of what the authorised dealer was charging at the time.  Our AU$ was way healthier back then too.  Not sure how that would be now.

Thanks...how do I contact this Bill McLan guy?

Is Line Magnetic proper company with a website or just bunch of Chinese folk selling on Alibaba?

Yes, definitely.

http://www.lm-audio.com/english/index.aspx

If I recall correct they hold the old WE patents/designs.....that's why you see WE designs on there site as well as there other products.

They must not update their distribution chain on the site as Bill is not listed.

Edited by ortofun

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys. 

I've been following this thread with great interest. Decided to take the plunge and bought myself a LM 502 DAC. 

I've been listening to the stock unit for about a week. It was smooth. No complaints there. 

This evening, I swapped in a pair of Brimar 12 AU7s which I happened to have. And I'm just taken aback at the improvement in sound. Its not subtle. More detail and sparkle. So I'm excited and ready to take the next simple step of swapping in a pair of Burson SS Op Amps V4 which I have.

I'm not technically inclined so I'd appreciate your help here. Where do I put these on the board? What op amps in the LM 502 DAC am I supposed to swap out? And is it as simple as pulling out the stock LM 502 op amps and swapping in my Bursons? 

I actually like the improved sound now with the NOS Brimar 12AU7 tubes. I hope the op amp swapping adventure is reversible in case I prefer the original op amps.

Cheers!

Hi Guys. 

I've been following this thread with great interest. Decided to take the plunge and bought myself a LM 502 DAC. 

I've been listening to the stock unit for about a week. It was smooth. No complaints there. 

This evening, I swapped in a pair of Brimar 12 AU7s which I happened to have. And I'm just taken aback at the improvement in sound. Its not subtle. More detail and sparkle. So I'm excited and ready to take the next simple step of swapping in a pair of Burson SS Op Amps V4 which I have.

I'm not technically inclined so I'd appreciate your help here. Where do I put these on the board? What op amps in the LM 502 DAC am I supposed to swap out? And is it as simple as pulling out the stock LM 502 op amps and swapping in my Bursons? 

I actually like the improved sound now with the NOS Brimar 12AU7 tubes. I hope the op amp swapping adventure is reversible in case I prefer the original op amps.

Cheers!

This unit has three dual 5532 op amps.  To change, you simply pull out an old unit and carefully fit the new one, observing that you line up the two half moons.

Upon removing the original op amps, I would mark the end with the moon clearly on them with a silver marker pen, as they are not clearly marked at all.

Change the rectumfryer tube to a GEC 6X4 too.  You will find this is a not subtle improvement as well.

• Like 1

This unit has three dual 5532 op amps.  To change, you simply pull out an old unit and carefully fit the new one, observing that you line up the two half moons.

Upon removing the original op amps, I would mark the end with the moon clearly on them with a silver marker pen, as they are not clearly marked at all.

Change the rectumfryer tube to a GEC 6X4 too.  You will find this is a not subtle improvement as well.

Hi Red Mackay,

You're an early bird eh. Thanks for replying at 4am :)

So I would need to purchase another Burson op amp unit? I only have 2 of them now. I'm also unsure where the dual 5532 op amps are located. I'll pop the cover open and take a closer look again. 

Will keep a lookout for a GEC 6X4 as well.

... and when funds allow, change the output caps to Mundorf silver/gold/oils...

Hi Sir Rab,

Appreciate the feedback.

The Singapore dealer does keep stock of Mundorf silver/gold capacitors. Have you had the chance to experiment with different capacitors?

>So I would need to purchase another Burson op amp unit? I only have 2 of them now. I'm also unsure where the dual 5532 op amps are located. I'll >pop the cover open and take a closer look again. 

Well that is a little scary if you can't recognise the op amps!!!  I will post a clear pic later.  Be very careful that you insert the new ones  the correct orientation with both half moons.

Yes, the 502 uses three dual op amps.  If you have two, that is fine, remove the two on the left and replace both those leaving the one on the right.

If you want to return to the original op amps, you just reverse the operation.

I have 3,9uF Mundorf Gold/Silver/Oils in my unit and they are nice.  They took ages before they sounded their best though.  If I was doing this again, I would do it differently.  I would use two or three caps paralleled up to the same value.  This is inline with the BAT way of thinking and I think it has merit.   Try something different and report back your findings!  Share it here.

Edited by Red MacKay

Well I wasn't sure I could change the op amps myself. But Red MacKay's instructions were pretty clear so decided to just do it this evening.

Swapped in my run-in pair of Burson Dual Opamp V4s and replaced the Phillips SE5532 op amps (made in Thailand). Put the LM 502 back onto the rack and turned it on. 

The best test for better sound for me has always been classical music. For the usual orchestral pieces I listen to. I'm hearing better detail retrieval, dynamic range, improved timbre of instrument notes. The trumpet players notes come across with more attack. Music sounds more palpable.

Part of the fun I suppose is to just slowly upgrade this amazing tweakable LM 502 DAC and savour each incremental step.

Next up will be to

• change the rectumfryer tube (haha) to a GEC 6X4
  • change the output caps to Mundorf or Duelund (thanks Red Mackay and Sir Rab)

Now excuse me while I sit back and get high...... on music

Edited by suntzu

Alas, I have been busy doing other stuff.

I have a pair of V5s burning in , in my EE Minimax + right now.  I haven't been listening for any changes since I did the swap in that unit, I'm just putting some miles on the op amps.  I can pull them out and swap them into the LM this weekend.

It's good that you had a crack at changing them yourself.

Edited by Red MacKay

Next up will be to

• change the rectumfryer tube (haha) to a GEC 6X4
  • change the output caps to Mundorf or Duelund (thanks Red Mackay and Sir Rab)

Now excuse me while I sit back and get high...... on music

I you change the rectifier, also make sure you move the jumpers on the PCB to the appropriate pins.

I you change the rectifier, also make sure you move the jumpers on the PCB to the appropriate pins.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that.  If you install a 6X4, move the jumpers too!

I will put my 502 back into my system tomorrow.  I might fit the new V5 Bursons too, they have around 40 hrs on them now.

I'll get back with a result.

Edited by Red MacKay
  • Like 1

I will put my 502 back into my system tomorrow.  I might fit the new V% Bursons too, they have around 40 hrs on them now.

When are you going to play around with the power supply...? better trannies? chokes...? :)

When are you going to play around with the power supply...? better trannies? chokes...? :)

I am lazy!  Bigger fish to fry right now and Life gets in the way too.

I think when it comes time to mod the supply, I will build it in an external fashion, out of the original case and connected with an umbilical.  No constraints on room and compromises re that components of choice won't fit.  No bean counters either.

Some say this is not ideal.  hey, it's power - I personally cannot see a problem.  It's not like this is a shuttle heading to the moon or the like, it's just audio!

• Like 1

I will put my 502 back into my system tomorrow.  I might fit the new V5 Bursons too, they have around 40 hrs on them now.

Hi Red,

Just wondering. Are you going to put in x3 V5 Bursons? And any idea where I could buy a GEC 6X4 tube by chance? Any trusted online website seller?

Let us know how your new Burson V5s sound.

Hi Red,

Just wondering. Are you going to put in x3 V5 Bursons? And any idea where I could buy a GEC 6X4 tube by chance? Any trusted online website seller?

Let us know how your new Burson V5s sound.

I got my GE 6x4s from these guys. They usually sell them by pairs, but they're not too expensive, and you'll have a backup. Sounds great in my LM502

http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/thearmyofgoodmusic?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

I got my GE 6x4s from these guys. They usually sell them by pairs, but they're not too expensive, and you'll have a backup. Sounds great in my LM502

http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/thearmyofgoodmusic?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

GEC, not GE.  One capital makes a big difference.

The GEC logo is a pale blue with black sloped italic signage.  Very distinctive.

If yours are GE and they work great, well that is an excellent alternative as the GECs can be a little difficult to find.

• Like 1