Sign in to follow this  
Briz Vegas

A-League season 2015/16

As they said in The life of Brian...."stop it, We.haven't started yet." ( or something similar)

Brisbane is said to have a new coach and he isn't Spanish. However, Melbourne Heart fans will know him well, or so the rumour goes.

I was looking forward to the Spanish guy. Now I don't know what to think. John Aloisi had a horror run at the end there. We got rid of Mulvey for far less and he had just won everything but Asia.

I hear that the players at Heart liked Aloisi, but I don't recall Heart playing what is supposed to be our brand of football. Gees, I just hope we have a competitive preseason and season. Can't let Muscat's mob go unchallenged.

Edited by Briz Vegas

I was just about to post this. Bad news for Roar I think. A really uninspired piece of recruitment. Anyway you guys have enough silverware for another decade.

No doubt Prof will drop in and confirm all of your fears.

I like Aloisi and think he will be a good coach one day, but he needs to do the apprenticeship in State or youth league.

Maybe Mulvey to Newcastle now that Stubbins has been booted by Gallop and the FFA?

Hopefully Rado stays. If not we're stuffed.

I've had a bit of time to let it settle in as a concept. I do believe that John has been known to substitute players on occasion. This is something that Franz did not do well, if at all. We also still have Rado I believe.

I have decided to mentally "Give John the benefit of the doubt". He will have something to prove. I just hope he has a budget to do something with. Ie at least to keep what we have, although you have to expect some changes I guess. Dealing with tricky times and changes is all a part of being a club member in a budget constrained league.

Edited by Briz Vegas

I had the "at least Rado is here" feeling when he was at Sydney with Farina. I was wrong, but that probably had more to do with Farina than Rado. Who knows, maybe it will work out for them. Rado is a good tactician.

I think the fact that Roar have signed Aloisi says that the owners are not going to be spending money. I would anticipate a lot of promising youngsters to be on the roster. I'd be interested to see who is still on contract there. I think Steffanuto was a very good player, but past his prime. Is he still on the books? Jade North has one good game a season and I still can't believe he played for Australia, but nothing riles me more than seeing Matt Mackay in the national shirt. I think I posted once before that the only time Matt Mackay should wear the national shirt is when he is in the crowd watching like the rest of us.

Aloisi - LOL. At least 10th position is sown up next season, but he does have a good media presence.

Expect long balls to Henrique, or perhaps Henrique will be converted into a Right Back?

No, that was this season. Putting Henrique in goals was Frans next move, only he managed to run him into the ground first. Shame, nice fella.

Heart/City fans are gonna be majorly irked by the Aloisi transformation, the consequence of selling his soul to the devil and watching a spider rebuild its web during his coaching hiatus. A once in a generation symbiotic partnership with Rado will result in an unprecedented winning streak by the Roar. I can sense it in my bones ( and football is always way more fun when you don't take it too seriously).

Bookmark this post Prof. Love your work but you have read this one wrongski big time.

This is all dependent on us retaining a striker with a girls name.

So.....who will be a contender this season. I guess Victory for a start.

Brisbane supporters expectations are not exactly high at the moment. On the plus side, we played a 10 nil game last weekend against the Gold Coast Allstars under nines. Not a proper hit out really, after all the Socceroos didn't manage that against the Bagladeshi cricket team last week ( there was some sort of mix up in the paperwork, they don't even play soccer in Bangladesh, it's too mountainous....... according to their coach who was trying to hide behind a physio :-) ).

I attended the Gold Coast game and noted that our current senior striker was watching from the grassy knoll with the rest of the spectators. Broich was not on the field either so it was mainly down to Petratos to look lively and take the corners. Meanwhile Mclaren equaled our top goal scorer for the whole of last season in one game. Brattan seems to have gone, but that is up in the air unless he can find himself a buyer. I thought the transfer window had closed in Europe, but I could be wrong.

We meet more serious Aleague opposition next weekend, and the game is on my side of town again. Hooray. Maybe things will be a little clearer about our pre-season in a week.

Other than that I just hope that Melbourne Victory are not allowed to buy the bits of us that they don't already own.

Roar's biggest liability is it's shaky ownership situation, the next biggest problem is the coach. Apart from that they'll have a great season :P

Victory is looking good but may struggle to maintain the intensity over the whole season especially when the ACL starts.

SFC will always be competitive as all Arnold's team are and will be there at the end of the season

Adelaide will be competitive but perhaps a little predictable without the quality to control enough games to win the dunny seat.

Melbourne has recruited well for once but has 2 ongoing problems: the largest injury list in the league (as has been the case for several seasons in a row) and JVS. The rperformance will depend on who is fit but hopefully JVS will be gone by the end of the season. We've recruited the head of performance and fitness from Spurs and invested heavily in facilities so hopefully this will slowly change but 9 senior players injured at the moment.

The rest are there to make up the numbers this season i think.

I've got a very guarded view on how the roar will perform this season.  Morale within the club would have to be rock bottom, and I didn't see anything in Heart performances under John my son that fill me with any confidence.  Happy to be proven wrong.

I think SFC and MV are much better prepared for the schedule come ACL compared with WSW and Roar last year.  Their squads run deep.  Again, happy to be proven wrong.

I think Victory is still the strongest squad. Arnie has recruited well for SFC, except it irks me that Zac Anderson and Matt Simon are wearing sky blue.

Our defence is still a bit shaky, with Faty our only quality defender. Despite losing Antonis our midfield and front 3rd looks very sexy, Dimitrejevic, Holosko, and Ninkovic could be deadly for opposition midfields and defence. I think Arnold wants to be Arsenal and pass other teams out of the game.

After a successful football department fan forum this week and two decent looking Spanish signings the prognosis for Brisnae is looking better for the season. I am actually looking forward to tonights game against the Wanderers. Despite our loss last time out we may be in with a 50 50 chance if this Toyota / beer guy (Corona) has managed to click into place as an older and more wiley Brattan replacement.

1 0 to Brisbane.

Corona is a quality player, unlike the beer namesake.

I hope Roar can shut-up my noisy neighbours.

SFC are looking very underdone going into Round one against Bleak City FC. Looking forward to getting back to my usual seat for kick-off.

South Melbourne Victory do look quite ominous, warming up nicely in the FFA cup rounds.

Roar have the oldest team in the League, could be an issue with injuries and fatigue later in the season (having had the same experience with Aloisi's Heart). Of course they also have John Aloisi :(

SFC will be as competitive as Arnold's teams always are

Melbourne have the same injury issues as they have had for the last 5 seasons, 9 senior players unavailable because of injury and Mooy away with the Socceroos. Despite that its a good list for once with theoretical depth if everyone os fit. JVS is the big question mark and whether he's managed to change the dressing room culture.

The Melbourne Visitors will be at the pointy end again unfortunately but playing FFA Cup, HAL and ACL may take its toll by the end of the season.

I'm not sure if Amor is the right coaching choice for Adelaide, we'll see.

Bad news for us Prof, Ben Williams has been assigned to our game. What crazy showboating decision will see him feauture on the Fox newsreel.

What a way to suck out all of the joy and enthusiasm I normally feel for game one of the season.

Age was raised at the Roar forum and someone did the maths. Apparently the squad are near the middle of the pack when it comes to age, Petratos, Clut, Borello and other recent graduates from the youth system balance out the older players overall.

Aloisi explained that he was over ridden at Melbourne heart when it came to team selections. I think we are giving him a cautious benefit of the doubt given his performance at the fan forum.

Edited by Briz Vegas

Bad news for us Prof, Ben Williams has been assigned to our game. What crazy showboating decision will see him feauture on the Fox newsreel.

What a way to suck out all of the joy and enthusiasm I normally feel for game one of the season.

I see Ben Williams is one of the full-time refs this season. Hopefully it improves his string of woeful performances. Not holding my breath though

Age was raised at the Roar forum and someone did the maths. Apparently the squad are near the middle of the pack when it comes to age, Petratos, Clut, Borello and other recent graduates from the youth system balance out the older players overall.

Aloisi explained that he was over ridden at Melbourne heart when it came to team selections. I think we are giving him a cautious benefit of the doubt given his performance at the fan forum.

Aloisi may have explained that but he and John Didiluca were responsible for recruiting. Aloisi was responsible for the 'Maltese Messi'. He was also responsible for the long ball football. At least his brother can coach

I think he was also responsible for Carona who was widely praised tonight. Following a 3 1 win it's looking like the Roar will be competitive this season. If the second Spaniad is decent then we might even be very competitive. I also look forward to seeing Henrique back on the park later this year.

I wonder if Broich had an easier game given he isn't the only guy with a target on his back. I strongly dislike that aspect of the game where the classy players get hacked at, and that includes when our mob do it.

You can see why City released Redmayne but I can't understand why WSW released Covic and signed Redmayne. NFI.

What a shame that SBS has ditched the HD coverage of the game

Budget cuts?