Sign in to follow this  
Stump

Japan Record Shops!

Here's one of the Disk Union complexes in Shinjuku. There's another store up the street that's all Prog on one floor, accessories on another, metal on another, etc. 

This one is the "general"/classic rock location so I spent more time here than at the others combined. The 3rd picture shows one of the other complexes in Shinjuku.

First pic is me doing the obligatory "selfie" outside on the street.

post-156463-0-81224800-1468885457_thumb.

post-156463-0-36167800-1468885464_thumb.

post-156463-0-56968800-1468885469_thumb.

post-156463-0-86203500-1468885474_thumb.

post-156463-0-66669600-1468885482_thumb.

More October 2015 finds...  note that this one includes a BUNCH of cool tour programs I found, including a very elusive Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway tour program. One of my favorite finds of the trip!

post-156463-0-64403200-1468886485_thumb.

post-156463-0-43943800-1468886490_thumb.

post-156463-0-92698200-1468886497_thumb.

post-156463-0-56451100-1468886503_thumb.

Edited by mightyvinyl

Here's my final set of images of the finds from October 2015.

A bunch of the Bowie 7 inch picture sleeves were promos that I stumbled upon at one of the more remote Disk Unions.

post-156463-0-16406500-1468886660_thumb.

post-156463-0-58258700-1468886665_thumb.

post-156463-0-24122100-1468886676_thumb.

Excellent.

Do please post the photos with pricing still on - I always find those fascinating glimpses into what you saw, and what is available (kinda like being there yourself)  

The pics bring back memories of my trip there few years ago. From memory, prices quite high, maybe bulk purchase way to go?

Good Stuff Mightyvinyl.   Once you get hooked on Japan whether it is music, food, sights, or just the plain wackiness.  It is hard not to go back again

I would be a dead man bringing home that much vinyl.

YCC, I always found prices erratic.  for some things you think are they are joking and then other things they have no idea how to price.   Although with the internet over past few years it is easier to google for rarity etc, even if you go no further than discogs.

Edited by Demondes

YCC, I always found prices erratic.  for some things you think are they are joking and then other things they have no idea how to price.   Although with the internet over past few years it is easier to google for rarity etc, even if you go no further than discogs.

I think the secret is there that what the Japanese value as rare, special, or desirable, varies significantly from what we in the West sometimes think something should be worth. Try selling (for example) a Catherine Wheel 2nd album for 20000 yen to a Japanese customer - they just wouldn't pay that (unlike myself). 

I think he is actually referring to the band called Catherine Wheel, not the D. Byrne soundtrack.

I do indeed - I mean this album : chrome , which cannot often be had for less than AUS$200 unfortunately.

Wow love this thread . I get my Japanese presses from a seller on Discogs who has a shop called estacio records . Grade A (NM) with Obi $19.90 us . He sells a lot of jazz rock fusion records which I had in the 80s and trying to buy some back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow love this thread . I get my Japanese presses from a seller on Discogs who has a shop called estacio records . Grade A (NM) with Obi $19.90 us . He sells a lot of jazz rock fusion records which I had in the 80s and trying to buy some back

I definitely do not want to try to use this forum as a vehicle for promoting my store on Discogs but I can't resist throwing in a quick plug.....

I don't try to be the least expensive seller there - I focus equally on both price and on service and accuracy of grading - but you might give my listings a perusal in the future. I doubt I will have as many Japanese fusion titles as Estacio does, but I will probably be picking up a lot more of it on the upcoming September trip, and I did pick up some amongst the 1500 items I bought last September that are now listed on my store on Discogs.

Edited by mightyvinyl

I definitely do not want to try to use this forum as a vehicle for promoting my store on Discogs but I can't resist throwing in a quick plug.....

I don't try to be the least expensive seller there - I focus equally on both price and on service and accuracy of grading - but you might give my listings a perusal in the future. I doubt I will have as many Japanese fusion titles as Estacio does, but I will probably be picking up a lot more of it on the upcoming September trip, and I did pick up some amongst the 1500 items I bought last September that are now listed on my store on Discogs.

Just to confirm that my post was only to inform where I get my Japanese pressing from since I cannot go to Japan no intentions to promote anything. Estacio has a shop front hence I mention him.

Unfortunately for you (and us), you're in the USA.

And postage from your region, sucks.

I find stuff all the time on Discogs from multiple US sellers, and have to ignore it - it's just too expensive for me to touch, given the postage I'll get whacked in US$.   :(   The pound is no better, but at least the Euro countries offer *some* relief.

Anyway, back to Japan.