Sign in to follow this  
Dwizzle

Do CD Player Lasers degrade or just suddenly fail?

Hi All

I recently had a CD player failure and it appeared to in the digital circuit somewhere (suspected that the laser had failed) as I was only using it as transport.  I managed to source another identical unit that had been apparantly boxed since near new and was told it had very little use.

After hooking up the new player and expecting it to sound identical I was noticing it seem to sound a bit "fresher" than my old unit.  

So my question, as in the title do lasers gradually degrade the music as they wear or was it likely something else?  I don' think it was my imagination, or booze.....

Power to the laser do eventually drop and degrade to the point where the laser won't recognise and read the discs no more. By fresher sounding it's probably because the unit hasn't been run in/burn in long enough.

Edited by DefQon

Try cleaning the laser lens B4 you do anything else.

Lasers do fail which is the main reason that I hate optical drives. In 2015 you think there be a better media!

Yes cleaning the lens before replacing it is the best way to approach things, saves money and before you go tinkering other things. Isoprophyl alcohol or windex on cotton bud, gentle scrub without pressure on lens, leave few seconds then power on spinner. 90% chance in my experience fixes reading problems.

I have had one incidence of sudden failure and a couple of slow degradation. Failure to read or failure to burn or constant hunting when a CD is inserted is signs that total failure is imminent.

Windex might damage the optic if it is plastic ????

Yeah there might be some issues with the cleaning.  I tried doing a general clean but did get to the actual laser itself as it looked like a fair bit more work to get to.  Then when I tried it again the draw won't open and it wouldn't play at all.  After stuffing around even more to no avail it took it into the shop.  Thankfully to replacement was given to me so it was as good as fixing it if not better.  I might have another go at it given it doesn't matter what happens to it now.

I had a bit of a disaster run that week, put a new graphics card in the computer and once I finished that it wouldn't power up, turns out the power supply crapped itself.  I am normally pretty good at fixing things so I am starting second guess my abilities.

Edited by Dwizzle

Windex might damage the optic if it is plastic ????

Nope. No player that I know of have plastic lens. Considering cd laser mechanisms are mostly made by Sony or Philips it's pretty much the same across the board.

The laser on my first CD player failed progressively. At first there would be the occasional skip, but only on certain CDs. Over time, the skipping became more frequent, and happened with most CDs I played. Eventually it got so bad as to be unusable. Whatever CD I tried, the player would skip right through from the start to the end, and all I would hear were staccato bursts of sound every now and then.

I then made the mistake of trying to get it repaired (chose the wrong repair shop, got ripped off and was given the run around). That was a long time ago though, and that dodgy repair shop has long since gone out of business.

Laser unit on my Marantz SA8260 died 4 times. Mostly suddenly with the fatal "TOC ERROR", but once was progressive fail. Repairer was good though, and I sourced the part on EBay. 4th time I dismembered it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)