-- Show Us Ya VU Meters --

Not sure where to post this. Not mine, but James Murphy (LCD Soundsystem) has 11 of these towers doing their thing in a NY warehouse. Friend is there now. 

IMG-20180330-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20180330-WA0000.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This thread needs more Luxman  

Prophetic is what you are @Luc Lee..........   I reckon both Lindsay and I should blame you for jinxing us into spending more money..   Newly arrived (today) matching Luxman SACD Player from

Big black meters:     Silvery-orange mteters:     White and green meters:  

• 2 weeks later...

So  after an epic journey to Radelaide and back I have arrived home with my new baby.

I have also learnt that VU meters are rather difficult and enjoyable things to try and photograph well.

DSC_0368.JPG

IMG_8762.JPG

IMG_8733.JPG

IMG_8740.JPG

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

• 2 years later...

The modern version of the vu meter, Oppo HA 1. A lovely headphone amp when combined with the Oppo PM 1 headphones.  This is fed from my Mytek Brooklyn DAC + taking music from the Roon Nucleus.

These photos do not do the lovely (electronic) vu meters justice. 

EAD304CE-4A05-4363-92FA-CB3A5D245BC0.thumb.jpeg.6748405aad00ef1843a82ee5cd0451ba.jpegB045D604-A43B-4B51-8B97-B9C477BCFDF1.thumb.jpeg.bf69ef15fb2595ec89f97e600a381874.jpeg 

Edited by KRSDarwin
  • Like 2

On 06/04/2018 at 9:48 AM, surprisetech said:

This is not mine; I came across the pics in a current ebay listing and thought they belong in this thread.

Akai_AM-U11(2).jpg

Akai_AM-U11.jpg

I actually have these exact same decks as my garage sound system. Complete with matching tape deck and speakers.

It sounds pretty good.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, SGS said:

I actually have these exact same decks as my garage sound system. Complete with matching tape deck and speakers.

It sounds pretty good.

Cool.

Are the VU meters on the tape deck similar?

4 hours ago, surprisetech said:

Cool.

Are the VU meters on the tape deck similar?

Yes, I would say identical. 

Having moved 3 months ago the garage still hasn't been sorted. Need to build shelves and so on and covid, so it hasn't been done.

I purchsed this maybe 15 years ago including the matching speakers second hand with the intent to use as a stereo setup in my garage. Yeah, it's pretty dirty but does still work, maybe I should give it some tlc.

20200914_110108.jpg

Edited by SGS
  • Like 1
23 hours ago, Garchan said:

Bit of 80s KIT action

1600243285228835184157610174662.jpg

I have the same VU meters on my B-2101, I could see they might be a polarising VU meter as I wasn't all that keen on them initially but really like them now. 

On 17/09/2020 at 5:58 PM, MIKE.D79 said:

I have the same VU meters on my B-2101, I could see they might be a polarising VU meter as I wasn't all that keen on them initially but really like them now. 

I love the orange. Thoroughly useless though when you think about it.

9 minutes ago, gemini07 said:

Let's see how long it takes someone to guess what the amp is....

001.jpg

002.jpg

I initially thought Integra, but Google tells me (yes, I cheated) it's a Proton AA-1150. I'd never heard of it before. How's it sound? 

Edited by twofires
  • Like 1

👍

Well that didn't take long....

The sound in my system is very detailed, minimal distortion, dynamic and natural. Very revealing of any harshness in a recording. 

They are probably best matched with a sweeter type of preamp.

The 'Dynamic Power on Demand' feature makes for interesting reading and some of the measurements are remarkable:

https://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/Proton/AA-1150_review.pdf

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I was mesmerised by the VU meters on my dads tape deck. As a kid I’d sit with headphones on, watching them dance. Good memories.