Vintage Hi Fi Repair in Brisbane

Hi,

I have a 1980 NAD 7020 Receiver that only recently has little response from one channel. Had it from new so would love to bring it back to life.

Does anyone know of a Technician that is sympathetic to Vintage Hi Fi in the Brisbane area.? Robert Cudmore has come up on previous posts but unfortunately he is no longer with us.

Thanks for any replies.

Glen 

Hi @@gka

I use Peter White http://www.whiteshifi.com.au/  who is out at Samnsonvale. He charges $40 , if you do not go ahead with the work after his quote . I found this to be about the lowest quote fee in Brisbane.

Peter's repair cost are reasonable and his work is to a high standard. It can some times take a long time for repairs to be completed ,depending on how much work he has. 

I to would like to have some recommendations for other repairs on the north / west side of Brisbane who may be a bit closer to me.  

Hi EVcali,

Thanks for the reply. Had seen Peter Whites add but thought he may be more suited to old valve radios but am probably wrong. Will give him a ring. Have also an old Astor radio that needs a bit of help so Peter may be my man for that.
                  Action Audio at Norman park has been recommended for Hi Fi repairs.

Had a NAD AV receiver fixed under Warranty by Totally Technical at Albion but maybe not suited to Vintage audio.

When I was looking for some one to repair an amp for me a few years ago the first hurdle was the $80 to $120 some Repairers wanted to provide a quote .Although I accept there is time required to diagnose a fault and provide a quote and the cost of all time must be covered at some point,  I believe that setting the level of quote fee at an amount that once the quote is provided the customer almost feels they have no choice  but to proceed is a problem.

General recommendations of Repairers by forum members is great but as the cost of repairs to old equipment can some times be more than it is worth ,what members really need to know is

Cost to provide quote and the location of Repairer

.After this I would want to know quote ,likely time for repair and any warranty.  

@@Green Wagon not sure if Commercial members are allowed to provide this information on the site but I would be interested in you providing it and could not find it on your web site.   

Edited by EVcali

Hey Robin.

Commercial members have more freedoms here than non members, they pay for that right, I have no issues with that in the slightest, and I try to be mindful of it all times.

But, I believe I'm allowed to reply to direct questions.

Speakerbug and my repair work are two separate deals.

Speakerbug is a fully registered business with company registration and asic papers etc and so on.

I do my best to keep it above board and legal regarding income etc.

I love my accountant, she is awesome on so many levels.

The repairs and crossover work I've done has just been a continuation of a 'hobby' business I started about 25 years ago to give me some income while between jobs.

Today these repairs etc are still just a 'hobby' that when combined with what I get from SB help me stay away from the dole que.

The only time I charge for a quote is if its cost me more than a small amount in parts to work out what the fault is and its then either to expensive to repair or its beyond my meagre intellect.

I detest saying to a customer their repair is beyond me and oh, can I have $50 to cover the parts I've thrown at this thing.

It has happened, but thankfully its rare.

Sometimes customers throw money at me even when I have failed. I love those ones ;)

I'm not too proud to accept help these days. We all need help from time to time.

I work from home.

Sometimes I can pour hours into something just for the pure fun of the hunt. I won't mention the frustration that leads up to the ecstasy of the fixed unit :D

I think some repairers will agree, the thrill of getting something going again is better than sex.

Ok, yes I'm sad old man.

Normally I'll do a bit of work on the device, then walk away from it to think about the next best step to fault find or digest what I've discovered.

Or sometimes I just need to rest and recover before I can continue.

In regards to quotes.

Sometimes to be able to 'quote' on an item you have to actually fix it so you know theres no other faults deeper down.

Oh look, an obvious burnt out resistor, easy, 5 cent part, 10 minutes to pull the unit apart and replace it, yup thatll be $25.

Sure. But WHAT caused the resistor to burn up ? That is what takes the other xxx days on the bench.

Thats why quotes and repairs can be expensive or the final bill blows out.

It can take hours or days or weeks or worse, and if its an intermittent fault, well heck, it could be weeks or worse before it plays up.

That just means more bench space chewed up that you can't use for other stuff.

It's not just the cost of parts and time, it's also the bench/floor space, tools, test gear, years and decades of experience.

Decent reliable test equipment can set back a workshop well over 50 thousand dollars. Per bench.

One decent oscilloscope can cost $10,000

Guy I used to know had a tv and video repair shop here in brisbane.

He opened his doors the day tv came to australia (was doing tv repairs overseas before that)

He was very well known, had a massive client base, and would do things other places didn't want to know about.

His shelves were overflowing with repairs and always had something like 10 repairs on the benches at any time.

Sold it to his son and retired.

About 10 years ago the son realised he could make more money by leasing out his shops floor space than he could running it as a repair business.

I worked for a well know tool shop in the repair section. something like 20 stores across australia.

Times were tight, our wages were below what others in the industry were being paid.

The sales staff that collected the tools at the various branches were told for customers wanting a quote, to collect an up front quote fee of $20, which was taken out of any repair costs.

Very rarely was this done.

This pissy $20 went into the repair sections income. 

We repairers all got redundancy, repairs were outsourced to a guy that was a complete and utter hack. he'd throw customers tools across the room. replace one oring in a nail gun instead of using a proper service kit.

And then the company went belly up.

Their weekly turnover (everything combined) was around 1 million a week.

Times have changed.

Wages, costs, insurance, building lease, governments, throw away items, devices that have no support, companies that point blank refuse to divulge any information.

Blame whoever you like.

But in this industry, sometimes you make a buck, other times you sit there and wonder, 'Why the hell do I even bother'.......

Wow. simple question resulted in page long micro story.

Well, hope you all enjoyed it........ :D

Edited by Green Wagon
  • Like 6

For general info I'm in Kenmore 4069.

Contact details can be found via the contact page on speakerbug site.

Otherwise I think it best to pm me for email/phone/full address etc.

I don't want to clog threads, break forum rules, or annoy others - All hail our benevolent Overlords  :love

Also never smart to put emails etc in threads where spambot's can trawl them...

Edited by Green Wagon
  • Like 1

Nigel! Wash your mouth out with soap for this>>>> I think some repairers will agree, the thrill of getting something going again is better than sex. :o :o :o :o

You need to get out a bit more I think, step away from the work bench, contact @@Telecine and let him take you out on the town where I know the pair of you will end up window shopping at the Caxton or somewhere like that.. :cool: but at least you'll be outside.

• Like 1

Lol. Hey Its been um, 4 years, so my memory is a bit vague about the specifics.

But if I f up a repair and walk away from it, I dont have to worry about it following me around trying to make me feel guilty...................

*Russian voice*

In repairs, I get paid,

In sex, I end up paying. One way or another......

when are you coming to bed.

You never take me out anymore.

You just want me for sex.

I have a headache.

Make your own dinner.

Mums coming to stay.

Did you do that list I left you.

What about MY feelings.

Wheres your wallet.

Oh look its 1am, Meh, tired, unplug this, turn the iron off go to bed.

Man that was a great fart...........

Nope, Luc, your right, we should all buy nagging machines  :P

Outside is over rated.

All i need is an internet connection and can be the happiest man for minutes at a time  :ph34r:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi ...Please advice me where I can get an old Hi-Fi Teac HMX-750 repaired The CD player keeps showing Error

I am from Redcliffe QLD. All the new Hi-Fi systems do not have Cassette players

I really need it repaired 

Thanks ahead

Sadly, Nigel (greenwagon) no longer does electronic equipment repairs.

I have a preamp I need looked at and Nigel is only a suburb away from me.

I called him and he has confirmed the above.

Edited by Winno

48 minutes ago, Winno said:

Sadly, Nigel (greenwagon) no longer does electronic equipment repairs.

I have a preamp I need looked at and Nigel is only a suburb away from me.

I called him and he has confirmed the above.

I have not used Peter for a couple of years but his website still appears to be active http://www.whiteshifi.com.au/  he is out at Samnsonvale. He charges $40 , if you do not go ahead with the work after his quote . I found this to be about the lowest quote fee in Brisbane.

Edited by EV Cali
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hi 

Just wondering if there’s any updates recommendations to what’s already been suggested?  I have a 1980’s Pioneer M90 Power Amp.  Mostly works - but needs some kinks ironed out.  This is my second unit - the first died and has been with Skippy124 for the last few years.  Peter White did some work on the first one and said he wouldn’t touch it again!  Lots of relays, dry joints and tedium!  I imagine my current one is much the same.  The left channel cuts out intermittently, the LED lamps on the front don’t fully illuminate and I need to run the system through the CD Direct line, as the line for the control amp is horribly distorted.

Real shame GreenWagon isn’t doing this work anymore.  He did some great work on my C90 Control Amp (he posted a writeup on it here) and had a go on the first M90 - but handed over to Skippy124 due to the complexity of the issue.  I reckon he’d have a good chance of putting this one right.

...Anyway, what I’m saying is, these things aren’t for the feint-hearted and am looking for someone prepared to dig in.

Thanks