Tasso

Building the ideal(ish) Music Server

Our builds are based on Atom itx base. I have done my journey in CA from core i7 to little Raspberry, and found atom itx is most musical. This findings is not necessarily concur with yours, hence asking.

Btw, our software is based on Ubutun distro that stripped to bare bone. There are four players, Squeezelite, MPD, JRiver, and XMMS. User(s) can select the player best synergies to current setup/taste. You can even recompile your own kernel with most update or the one best sounding to your ears! All are on web base.

61be6e92bc581ef42e6bbf396bb4aaee.jpg

7f4240132be92a985c60ca8cefe3a128.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had the same experience with the Atom processor that you have Chanh.

That's why it's my go to processor for now.

How soon before you guys make your software to the rest of us???? :)

Thanks for all the work you and Tasso are doing.

Joel

Thanks Joel and rocl444 for your interests! When the time is right will post the link for all to experiment.

Please note - our software is built by another member in this trio team. Each of us is tackling an aspect of the ideal's server. I can not be taking the credit for the software, they are all his efforts/work! This talented member wishes to remain silently behide the scene. :)

(Chanh): This talented member wishes to remain

Silent

Transcendental

Ingenious

Generous

The only way to testify (unbiasedly) a psu is to bring it door to door, one foreign setup after another.

2ce6370c555372db29b07eefd7ce8cf7.jpg

ba0c4ec4e7fb10dcd51eb73b8da9305c.jpg

746916e000116b7552b85b47cbf8e759.jpg

It is gonna take a lot of steps to get to Qld  : - )  ...

And the difference in this setup was.....

PSU is currently on tour and is a game changer wherever it goes - so far!

I would be very glad to volunteer a test system in Perth if the need is there,

One question I should ask - has anyone in Perth done a head to head, vortexbox 2.4 against Audiophile Optimizer?

Chanh have you been able to (network) stream DSD content within your OS? the only soft capable of streaming DSD in my case is Jriver, I wish vortexbox could do that as it's the best sounding OS I tried... the biggest trouble with those OSs is when DLNA server running elsewhere than actual streamer as well as control point being linked to that server instead of a streamer, could you try it on your version of OS?

I would be very glad to volunteer a test system in Perth if the need is there

Another guinea pig here!

If not would love to hear it somewhere else sometime.

Edited by todagt

Chanh have you been able to (network) stream DSD content within your OS? the only soft capable of streaming DSD in my case is Jriver, I wish vortexbox could do that as it's the best sounding OS I tried... the biggest trouble with those OSs is when DLNA server running elsewhere than actual streamer as well as control point being linked to that server instead of a streamer, could you try it on your version of OS?

Daniel,

This software is can both doing local storage or streaming from a NAS for both PCM and DSD. Wait..., the OS is even streaming too, if needs be!

Edit: in other word, you can boot OS/Player(s) and music Library from a NAS OR as local storage. Liked I said, this talented member currently exploit the option of playing from RAM without the need of PCM to DSD/Wave conversion like Daphile.

Edited by Chanh

I would be very glad to volunteer a test system in Perth if the need is there,

One question I should ask - has anyone in Perth done a head to head, vortexbox 2.4 against Audiophile Optimizer?

Another guinea pig here!

If not would love to hear it somewhere else sometime.

Guys, I am about to build @JDWest his, our own version of PSU. There will also be other variances available for listening opportunity. Currently, this JS-2/Hashys' appears to be most optimised! When JD's is done, may be you guys can drop by?

Edit: @@thewaves - I have never see the need to revisit Windows after Linux OS migration. If you search hard enough, you will see my post wrt it. I once had, dual pc setup with JPlay and WS2012 stripped down to bare bone beyond AO's capable and still found Linux Jriver sounds better out of the box. Actual fact, between Tasso and I have both AO and JPlay legal copy here! Nonetheless, one must do his journey to appreciate the ones gone before him with their input. :)

Vortexbox is a sonic level above Linux Jriver again. Having said that; these are my observations from my very own CA journey, they might not concur with others'. ;)

Edited by Chanh

We've been down the Windows server/ optimiser route and haven't looked back since trying purpose built -for- Audio real time Linux kernels. Having said that, software players can have their own sonic flavour and personal preferences come into play here too.

When comparing JRiver on a Windows server /AO machine to JRiver on the experimental version of Linux we are using, ( soon to go public worldwide) the latter is markedly better IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Awesome - thanks Chanh,

Will certainly swing by - any rough idea of a date yet? The reason I ask about the audio OS is that I have just finished a new CAPS hardware server build today with a Geiseler PSU (Jetway NF9N-2930 with M2 SSD to eliminate SATA cables) and will be putting an OS on today. If your ubunutu based distro is even 50% there I would love to give it a crack but nay bother of not.

Do you think you will begin with A JS-2 for JDwest PSU or a full build from scratch?

P.S Have you found enabling Wifi to be an issue on the audio servers in terms of noise?

post-126491-0-12757500-1454458859_thumb.

Edited by thewaves