Building the ideal(ish) Music Server

secondly I would assume guys building their own PC based media servers will use asynchronous USB converters between their PC and DAC, in such case I would focus more on USB converter due to fact PC is within asynchronous connection slaved to the USB converter and shouldn't pass jitter artefacts into your DAC

Yes....  but it can pass electrical noise/interference ....   and this noise goes on the reduce the performance of the DAC.

People forget that the quality of the digital signal is meaningless until it reaches the DA converter .... however any electrical issues which reach the DA stage can easily degrade its performance.

This is where for example, you wouldn't want a power supply feeding a clock, to let the noise it generates get downstream into the DA.    It's not about having a 'great clock' for the computer, but about having a separate power supply (which doesn't send it's noise somewhere undesirable) for the clock.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Following on from our escapades with Mac Mini, Windows laptop, Rasperry and Banana Pi, I was still looking for something better to match the output from my Accuphase DP-700 feeding the DC-37 DAC v

I’ve read this thread with much interest, and although I’m severely technically challenged when it comes to all computer and technology related matters, I embarked on a CA server project.  This wa

My new build server is progressing well today. An all in one unit as concept. All credit to @Doncentric with what it was a prelim-concept meeting, and within hours, he had 85% of its done! The remai

Tasso I don't know about using vinyl records as a reference, the korg might be very accurate but there's no such thing as an accurate phono cartridge and there are so many variables in phono playback, it's the least accurate playback source. Digital or analogue master tapes would better serve your purpose, unless you just want the closest copy of the vinyl "sound" , colorations and all.

It's not about the vinyl or phono being accurate but the portrayal of the recording. That is to say, the recording of vinyl should sound close to the original vinyl to be considered accurate.

We have all heard equipment and software add bass, tizz, euphoria and other tidbits people like to hear but without a reference point, it's difficult to know for sure if anything is being manipulated. I don't think it will necessarily change my preferences but it's something that's bugging me. What I am half expecting is that they will all sound close to the recording in their own unique way but different from each other

Focus on the power supply you use for the clock, and not allowing this (noise laden) supply to pollute into other things ;)

I'll look into it - I hadn't considered that before but it makes sense.

davewantsmoore - yes and fully yes, that's why I mentioned that this doesn't apply to noise from RFI/EMI PSU etc... ;) , most important part is device prior to DAC chip which require proper psu, clocking, connection etc, in case of USB converter than USB converter...

My understanding is that 2x RAID0 ( striped) is faster than the single HDD.

Yep ..... but it depends what we mean by "faster"

It has higher bandwidth  (more data per second can be transferred)

It has higher latency  (more delay before a read/write is completed)

I'll look into it - I hadn't considered that before but it makes sense.

People don't replace the clocks on (for example) a motherboard to get a higher quality clock signal    (like you would want inside a DA converter, where a very low phase noise clock is important).

They run an external clock in order to separate the power supply for the clock..... the power supply feeding a clock is subject to a lot of noise  (the clock is very fast)

The clock mounted directly to the motherboard is being supplied by motherboard power  ....   an external clock can have it's own separate supply, and just the clock signal is attached back to the motherboard.

• Like 1

Thats interesting although I think your observations are consistent with mine. That is to say  WD Raptors in Raid 0 configuration can provide mighty fast access times to software and data - faster than single SSD it seems.  It would be cool to try SSD in Raid 0 and see what that produces.

But in terms of the PSU being the most important improvement that can be done to a computer based music server, I  would agree totally with that.  We are currently developing the PSU further and have added choke input and increased the  current rating of the PSU.  The results are very exciting (to say the least) and we are looking to develop this further.

I would like to correct myself when I said I heard the minuscule difference in sound quality between 2 Raptors in RAID 0 to a Samsung 840 SSD. This is not related to sudden increased music quality i.e. sudden increase in bass or mids become liquid that is completely not possible as hard drives are hard drives regardless of SSD or mechanical. The only or more likely if anything explainable and measurable is the slightly increase in playback quality as this was tested on a processor starved system.

So (referring back to my post on the previous page before the bickering), the increase in seek time and less overhead from the 10k RPM Raptors means the music is playing smoothly. Any subjective notified differences between SSD and HDD is mostly due to the background noise from the power supply as SSD's typically use less than a watt on IDLE and mechanical hard drives a fair few more then just a watt on IDLE.

You should check out JohnnyGuru's extensive reviews on consumer grade PC PSU's (there testing method, knowledge and testing on PC PSU's outright is more so than anybody in the relative industry for these things), most PSU's fail efficiency tests on IDLE rather than under LOAD conditions. Most 80 plus Platinum/Gold/Bronze or Silver rated PSU's do very well to excellent in efficiency under 100% LOAD conditions but do just OK under IDLE conditions. And FWIW's I don't care if Chanh can hear a difference between a SSD and HDD I have not and will not. Anything is possible and detectable if YOU want to believe in a difference in sound.

I use these things in my music servers and find they make the background noise cleaner. Again we are talking very very small tangible differences. But it doesn't hurt to try them out. 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ApeXi-Power-Filter-Card-Computer-Audio-Enhancement-PCI-and-PCI-E-Slots-/291505650149?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item43df1739e5

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Apexi-PC-SDRAM-DDR3-Memory-DIMM-Power-Filter-Current-Booster-Card-/301698456732

I'll be building a new music server during summer, have a stash of SSD's and green 2TB hard drives to put to good use, will be fabricating the case myself with a touch screen on the front. There are HD OLED touch screen considerations but the ones I've quote on will set me back about $3-3.5k since it's not a large quantity order. 

Haven't thought of the software but I'll be using Linux as it's much better than any windows due to low overhead, low latency and easy programmable kernel to load necessary drivers and device ID's, I'll be coding the kernel to tailor the stuff I have in my server.

The only problem now is the PSU, I saw Chanh posted his diy PC PSU in another thread using the 2U Streacom FC5 case so I'm still interested in that area. The Paul Hynes stuff doesn't exactly fit into existing enclosures as it's an external unit and awfully expensive for what it does ($2.5k+ excluding shipping). There is also the Teradak version about $1k excluding shipping but again all external. The market needs more diy PC PSU's with excellent ESR and various other ripple factors and a low, mid and high efficiency under all type of LOAD and IDLE conditions. 

Edited by DefQon

subjective notified differences between SSD and HDD is mostly due to the background noise from the power supply as SSD's typically use less than a watt on IDLE and mechanical hard drives a fair few more then just a watt on IDLE.

Please keep us posted on your progress. At this stage I tend to agree that Linux based software is more suitable to an audio application.

No doubt HDD noise is a factor together with the effect of high speed spinning magnetic plates in close proximity to other components. However I think there is more to it because of another phenomenon I stumbled across. That is when using a USB powered HDD to store music for a music server ( Consonance Reference 7), I plugged in a powered external HDD and noticed and improvement in SQ.

This was surprising because it was using a SMPS and the USB powered drive was drawing clean power from the server. One explanation is that the much faster seek and read rates of the powered HDD contributed to the increase in SQ.

I then found a linear PSU lying around to drive the HDD and surprise again, I preferred the SMPS. Finally when I used a bigger linear PSU, I noticed improvements in SQ. my take on this is that the first linear PSU did not have the juice for the HDD to act as quickly as it did with SMPS, which have very fast reaction times. When I tried SSD it was noticeably better still.

Time and time again we are finding that components which can react faster ( without generating EMI) seem to assist in the pursuit of better SQ. it s a generalisation I know but the issue of latency/ timing/ jitter is more than SSD vs regular drives and it extends to memory, system software etc.

Guest myrantz

And FWIW's I don't care if Chanh can hear a difference between a SSD and HDD I have not and will not. Anything is possible and detectable if YOU want to believe in a difference in sound.

Does your assumption go both ways? I.e. if you don't want to believe in a difference, it may well not be there because you refuse to admit it's there? :D

And it's not just chanh, there's moonbeam, and me. But it's not about the majority vs minority here.. At the very lease these people are sharing what they have did on the Internet, and you are doing the same. Disagreements will no doubt happen. It's ok if you disagree, but please do so with respect... There are 7+ billion people in this world, not everybody will agree with SSD sounds better than HDD... Just a tiny fraction of this 7+ billion can actually afford a HDD, let alone a SSD.

Words like the above in bold is a sign of immaturity... 

I do appreciate your courage in standing firm on what you believe though, just wish you can do so in a better (more socially accepted way) at look at things from a perspective that don't have you in the middle of the universe :P.. Anyway don't let peer pressure sway your path, if you like HDDs, go forth and build your idealish server around that.. More than one way to skin a cat.

For the record myrantz you have not put any valid input into this thread besides scratching chanhs back.

Unsubscribed.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Edited by DefQon
Guest myrantz

For the record myrantz you have not put any valid input into this thread besides scratching chanhs back.

Unsubscribed.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

input? I thought this is funny, this is for the people who want to dabble in CA.. Telling people to respect one and other is always a valid input but all I get is negative feedback... :D

Is anyone running a Synology NAS powered by a 12v LPS? If so, is there a significant improvement over the supplied SMPS?

Edited by alcarp

This article about clock upgrades is interesting. It may be relevant to PC motherboards

https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2012/09/02/modding-clocks-in-usb-i2s-board/

yep, one of those interesting artickles even if it's not that black and white these days  ;)

Is anyone running a Synology NAS powered by a 12v LPS? If so, is there a significant improvement over the supplied SMPS?

I had plan to do it when I was running NAS as source (through USB audio out) but I added dedicated streamer into the audio chain so I didn't feel that need anymore... 

The only problem now is the PSU, I saw Chanh posted his diy PC PSU in another thread using the 2U Streacom FC5 case so I'm still interested in that area. The Paul Hynes stuff doesn't exactly fit into existing enclosures as it's an external unit and awfully expensive for what it does ($2.5k+ excluding shipping). There is also the Teradak version about $1k excluding shipping but again all external. The market needs more diy PC PSU's with excellent ESR and various other ripple factors and a low, mid and high efficiency under all type of LOAD and IDLE conditions. 

there are DIY solutiosn, if you are happy with 3A up to 20 Vout than LT1764 reg is one of them, if it's not enough you can contact belleson guys for custom made SPHP reg with up to 10A with unlimited Vout, just add your trany and rectifier filter and you are good to go  ;)

At this stage I tend to agree that Linux based software is more suitable to an audio application.

I have read similar statements many times. I have been using W7 as I know it best and can usually get there in the end with my less than stellar comp skills. I have tried Daphile but could not get it to work for me.

I am setting up a new NUC gen 4 based server which I have made fanless by getting an Akasa Newton case. 

So I am wondering about OS. My options are W7, 8.1 and 10 as well as Linux. I have read that Daphile is a good place to start, so do I try it again or is there another option which may suit my setup and skills better? Thanks.

Re the Pang RAM; I've not done any critical listening with it, but without me 'trying' to hear improvements (and no working SOtM - yet) it stills sounds better than the 16GB G.Skill kit I had in before. I'm really happy with it - this is a nice tweak in our world of insanely expensive upgrades.

When the PCIE cards working I'll put some energy into dropping clock speeds and tightening the latency timings, meant to help with whatever RAM you're using.

Re the Pang RAM; I've not done any critical listening with it, but without me 'trying' to hear improvements (and no working SOtM - yet) it stills sounds better than the 16GB G.Skill kit I had in before. I'm really happy with it - this is a nice tweak in our world of insanely expensive upgrades.

When the PCIE cards working I'll put some energy into dropping clock speeds and tightening the latency timings, meant to help with whatever RAM you're using.

If you need the hands on assistance with the SOtm PCI or anything that related to hardware, let me know or may be Tasso can also help? As for Software related, Myrantz and Tuyen are the go to man. Among us four, we have dedicated on going hours into a practical-analysis/realistic-experiment(s) in CA server asides from our bread/butter/family commitments, but most importantly from Tasso's generosity funding. Often, diehard technical CA are complacent and blindly restricting the possible outcome provision(s) differ in practice than those taught in principle. They limited their mindset without knowing of the limitation(s) due to lack of practical experience(s) OR incapable of detecting the sonic differences based on a personal attributes or simply having a lower/poorer audio setup like mine.

Regardless, feel free to shoot me a pm if the assistance is

Excellent news. I've tried several types of ram and maybe it's time I tried the PPang too. Every bit helps!

Thanks Chanh, Marek came over this evening and we actually managed to isolate the issue; the power rocker switch is dodgy, in the on position there no power to the card, when we held it in place it would power up, so it's defective, essentially. I'm really glad to know now at least.

As for the cs stance, i keep an open mind an am really glad i have as I've made some big improvements in sq. Infact thanks for making the suggestion on the (single rank) ram Tasso!

Chanh, what is your setup matey? If you don't mind me asking?

The ram make percussion sound sharper and music has clearer and more vibrant tone.

Thanks Chanh, Marek came over this evening and we actually managed to isolate the issue; the power rocker switch is dodgy, in the on position there no power to the card, when we held it in place it would power up, so it's defective, essentially. I'm really glad to know now at least.

Chanh, what is your setup matey? If you don't mind me asking?

Hopefully, you get a replacement soon. :)

Not minded at all. My setup is very affordable, no highend I'm afraid but listenable. Here the photos of my setup.

post-141218-0-82851100-1438178955_thumb.

post-141218-0-11643400-1438179071_thumb.

post-141218-0-78997500-1438179141_thumb.

• Like 2

Hopefully, you get a replacement soon. :)

Not minded at all. My setup is very affordable, no highend I'm afraid but listenable. Here the photos of my setup.

@@Chanh

We are not going to let you off this easily  :) .

I can figure out a few of the items, but could you please tell us what the equipment are.

@@Chanh

We are not going to let you off this easily :) .

I can figure out a few of the items, but could you please tell us what the equipment are.

Hehe...!

My current setup consists of the followings;

1. PSA P10 with all PSA power cables for powering the setup.

2. Sources are Oppo95 modded by Joe (collecting dusts atm), my diy DDDAC with BeagleBone Black for PCM, JLSounds AK4490 for DSD, and Banana Pi as Server.

3. Preamp is Conrad Johnson CT6. The CSLS was a loan from Tasso.

4. Valves Power Amps are Mingdas 845300B, and Bob Carver Cherries.

5. SS PowerAmps is Krell with acquisition provision of either an Accuphase A70 or a pair of A-200.

6. Speakers are Wilson Benesech ACTs and cables are from Cable Research Lab.

• Like 1

Hehe...!

2. Sources are Oppo95 modded by Joe (collecting dusts atm), my diy DDDAC with BeagleBone Black for PCM, JLSounds AK4490 for DSD, and Banana Pi as Server.

5. SS PowerAmps is Krell with acquisition provision of either an Accuphase A70 or a pair of A-200.

Thanks

You are saying it is not high end? 

Looks like a nice collection - enjoy!

Hehe...!

lol, everyone has different meaning for hi-end but if this doesn't fit into that category than all of me gear is cheap ebay electronics for few dola  :D , btw I like the look od DDDAC  ;)

Edited by kukynas

Ps. So you're the guy with the nutty dac, i came across that thread sometime ago! You like it?

It is an outstanding achievement and I don't think you will find a better sounding DIY DAC anywhere. @@Chanh has been setting the pace ahead of the pack with things like development of the highly effective I2S system, and discovery of the effectiveness of choke filtering in digital applications. The latter has also been favoured by the Slim Devices digital guru, John Swenson.

All this is in a world where some people today still refuse to believe computer PSU or even computers' electrical properties can influence sound quality. But we have no time to bog down and argue ad nauseum with the non-believers, I'm afraid they will have to be left behind at this stage.

• Like 1

Nice system Chanh. How are the act 10s? I heard the Cardinals fronted by an all Vivaldi system at a show once, sounded good!

While on oversea, I listened to many many, too many setups from average to highend. Meet HQA DAC designer in Vietnam and discussed the possible tweaks idealogy. Pity there was no Magicos nor Rockport otherwise it would made my trip more complete. Must say, the Wilson Benesech Cardinals have got my love for them. If I must rank, best to ok base on my personal subjective and bias judgements are as following;

1. Approx $700k+ setup: Accuphase DP720 to C3850 accompanied by DG58 into a pair of A-200s which drive a pair of Martens (approx $500k, I think). After I listened for 10mins, I wanted to bring this "complete setup" home right away! Pity it was too much paperworks, and no winning lottery tix in my possession at time. Otherwise this could have be home with me Today! :lol:

2. Approx $250k+ setup: laptop into Ayre DAC, Ayre Preamp, and Ayre ClassA/B stereo poweramps drive a pair of Wilson Benesch Cardinals. I was surprised with the improvement from Ayre DAC as previously Ayre DAC was not my kind of cuppa tea. There might have been the speakers' contribution factor?

3. At the dealer showroom: Accuphase DP720 to C2820 accompanied by DG58 into A70 which drives a pair of Tannoy.

4. Gryphon Mikado Signature into Mirage preamp into Colosseum stereo poweramps which drives a pair Trident II. In every aspects, this setup was amazingly awesome but sounded a little dry to my taste. .

XX. Accuphase DP550 into C2420 into A60 which drives a pair B&W802D. Didn't quiet like it! Look forward hearing the B&W802D here again on another well calibrated setup! The setup seems thin, fatigue top end and poorly perform bottom end. Bass was less than resolving nor articulate.

Can upload the photos but concerning that I once again derail this thread!!! :(

• Like 1

It is an outstanding achievement and I don't think you will find a better sounding DIY DAC anywhere. @@Chanh has been setting the pace ahead of the pack with things like development of the highly effective I2S system, and discovery of the effectiveness of choke filtering in digital applications. The latter has also been favoured by the Slim Devices digital guru, John Swenson.

All this is in a world where some people today still refuse to believe computer PSU or even computers' electrical properties can influence sound quality. But we have no time to bog down and argue ad nauseum with the non-believers, I'm afraid they will have to be left behind at this stage.

Indeed, it's always made me feel quite smug, knowing that I've got some great upgrades simply from having an enquiring, curious (and most importantly IMO open) . On the other hand it's a shame people are missing out because of their blinkered views , but we're all adults here and live by our choices.

While on oversea, I listened to many many, too many setups from average to highend. Meet HQA DAC designer in Vietnam and discussed the possible tweaks idealogy. Pity there was no Magicos nor Rockport otherwise it would made my trip more complete. Must say, the Wilson Benesech Cardinals have got my love for them. If I must rank, best to ok base on my personal subjective and bias judgements are as following;

1. Approx $700k+ setup: Accuphase DP720 to C3850 accompanied by DG58 into a pair of A-200s which drive a pair of Martens (approx $500k, I think). After I listened for 10mins, I wanted to bring this "complete setup" home right away! Pity it was too much paperworks, and no winning lottery tix in my possession at time. Otherwise this could have be home with me Today! :lol:

2. Approx $250k+ setup: laptop into Ayre DAC, Ayre Preamp, and Ayre ClassA/B stereo poweramps drive a pair of Wilson Benesch Cardinals. I was surprised with the improvement from Ayre DAC as previously Ayre DAC was not my kind of cuppa tea. There might have been the speakers' contribution factor?

3. At the dealer showroom: Accuphase DP720 to C2820 accompanied by DG58 into A70 which drives a pair of Tannoy.

4. Gryphon Mikado Signature into Mirage preamp into Colosseum stereo poweramps which drives a pair Trident II. In every aspects, this setup was amazingly awesome but sounded a little dry to my taste. .

XX. Accuphase DP550 into C2420 into A60 which drives a pair B&W802D. Didn't quiet like it! Look forward hearing the B&W802D here again on another well calibrated setup! The setup seems thin, fatigue top end and poorly perform bottom end. Bass was less than resolving nor articulate.

Can upload the photos but concerning that I once again derail this thread!!! :(

I'd like to see all of that stuff, sounds like some great set ups; start another, call it "audioporn for the lads" lol!

Hi Martin.  You can bring the defective PCIe card to me and swap it for mine. That will get you up and running while I sort out a replacement from SOtM. 

• Like 1

Hi Martin.  You can bring the defective PCIe card to me and swap it for mine. That will get you up and running while I sort out a replacement from SOtM. 

Thanks John, that's great. Is it okay if I pop over on Saturday to make the swap?

Thanks John, that's great. Is it okay if I pop over on Saturday to make the swap?

Sure. Bring your server if you feel like trying it over here.  :)

Well i liked the pictures whike they were up lol.

To report back the second SOtM card worked perfectly well out of the box. It even works perfectly well with Dirac. What is puzzling is when i used the card with the defective power switch at Johns (he supplied power via alternative means) my pc detected it as a discreet component.

With the working card, my pc doesn't see it at all on the playback device list. It must work though as I'm getting sound through it. Any ideas what's going on here?

Well i liked the pictures whike they were up lol.

To report back the second SOtM card worked perfectly well out of the box. It even works perfectly well with Dirac. What is puzzling is when i used the card with the defective power switch at Johns (he supplied power via alternative means) my pc detected it as a discreet component.

With the working card, my pc doesn't see it at all on the playback device list. It must work though as I'm getting sound through it. Any ideas what's going on here?

What software are you using? I know that Windows 7 and Windows Server 2012 need special SOTM drivers to make everything work properly. No such requirements with Linux.