Tasso

Building the ideal(ish) Music Server

Hey Tasso, nice work!     Can I ask why you decided to use Pauls LPSU over the HDplex? Have you powered Pauls V3 card with the HDplex using the 2800 mini ITX board?

It looks like Pauls V3 card fits fits the 2800 board ok but how neat is it to fit to the case? (looks like face-plate is 90 deg to mobo) 

Have you tried playing Pauls V3 card (5volt) into a ps audio direct stream dac?

I was under the impression that the LPS had a greater effect if using the analogue output and not so much the digital USB but I'm not sure where I got this impression lol.

In that case I'll need to keep an eye out for a couple of linear PSU's on the second hand market or maybe just one in the first place to try.

I'm hoping adding the regen into the mix may be good but as I said it was an impulse buy.

That was the popular view for a while but it is not the case. The "digital" signal is not 1's and 0's  travelling down the wire but in fact an electrical signal with variations in voltage that represent the digital information. SMPS generate RFI  measured in mhz , and as the name suggests it is transmitted through the air as well as down the wires so there is very little that can be done to stop it completely upon entering the DAC, particularly with cheap SMPS's.

It may well be the case that  electrical noise affects digital circuits less  than analog and isolation circuits help somewhat, but  it still affects it to some degree which  when eliminated, can make an audible improvement to the sound. 

Hey Tasso, nice work!     Can I ask why you decided to use Pauls LPSU over the HDplex? Have you powered Pauls V3 card with the HDplex using the 2800 mini ITX board?

It looks like Pauls V3 card fits fits the 2800 board ok but how neat is it to fit to the case? (looks like face-plate is 90 deg to mobo) 

Have you tried playing Pauls V3 card (5volt) into a ps audio direct stream dac?

I   haven't  chosen  PPA PSU over HD PLEX,  I haven't  got a final PSU sorted yet.    I am running a couple of builds at any point in time and at the moment the one I have posted pictures of uses a Sotm PCI card which can only accept a 12V voltage. With the motherboard also requiring 12V, I need 2 x12V feeds. So I am using the PPA and the HD  Plex together until I sort out a final solution.  At this stage it is likely to be a custom built 2 X 12V  PSU by HD Plex ( who do take orders for custom builds)  but I may also dabble in a DIY style of PSU.

All builds utilising  12V  motherboard and a PCI-e card ( Not PCI)  require 12V  and  9V (Sotm) or 5v (PPA).  Only HDPlex can do all of these  with high quality off the shelf power and I would therefore recommend HDPlex  as the first option.  They are versatile and well built PSU's  which  have separate outputs for 5V, 9V, 12V and 19V  and come with a variety of connectors for a range of applications including SBT.

Regarding PPA vs Sotm cards I have had time to revisit the comparison.  This time it was a more critical session with SNA member @@Chanh . It was immediately apparent that the PPA card  (V2) gives great dynamics - more so than Sotm  ( which is no slouch at all). The Sotm card  revealed a lot more micro detail that was missing from the PPA and upon reflection I think it is better  balanced proposition for my system.   Others could have different preferences. I haven't tried  PPA V3.

Sotm have seemingly gone to greater lengths with their design. Sotm cards are designed  and built specifically for Computer audio application, while the PPA card is a modified standard USB 3 PCI-e card.  I'm not drawing any conclusions from that because it is only the performance that matters, but thought it worth mentioning.

Edited by Tasso

Sooo, gents, what I am interested to know is whether the balls out cost no object (mostly) exploration that Tasso is undertaking, offers significantly more fidelity than the Chann's budget build? Or is it more a) flavour of the sw :cool: last 5% stuff c) different as opposed to better/worse.

I've always favoured MPD (Voyager MPD or CuMPD) when I was building on small Alix boards or similiar. Cheap and good, lightwight and very transparent to the recording. Downside is that it can be a little brutal.

I can see a Vortexbox build on a NUC also offering attraction. Bung on a suitable LSU and you may have a very cost effective solution.

The only problem with the Alix & NUC boards is they typically have a mSata memory & a half-size mini PCIe, which I doubt you could get a USB card on.

For a budget LSU, I came across this shop on ebay - http://stores.ebay.com.au/av100hk?_trksid=p2047675.l2563 might be worth a look.

Edited by andrew_stenhouse

The way it goes, I will soon implant one of these thing in my brain so the cells can have their deserved holiday year round without the need of exercising too much..! :D

Thanks Gordon for the heads up. ;)

The way it goes, I will soon implant one of these thing in my brain so the cells can have their deserved holiday year round without the need of exercising too much..! :D

Thanks Gordon for the heads up. ;)

Been trying to get info about changing the OS to 2012 server but not much info on this device around as yet.

I've been trying to stay away from CA and concentrate on getting my golden ratio listening room finished, but I'm sorely tempted to get into Linux CA, would this device be able to use the Linux distro's?

I've been trying to stay away from CA and concentrate on getting my golden ratio listening room finished, but I'm sorely tempted to get into Linux CA, would this device be able to use the Linux distro's?

The specs say 1.3 ghz base frequency with 1.86 ghz burst freq so it should easily run most Linux distros. We have had excellent results with single core @ 1.6 ghz. There are one or two distros built only for 64 bit architecture like "Audiophile-Linux" but if the unit supports 64 bit then it should work well with that too.

Audiophil of AO fame recommends powering the SSD on which the OS resides with an LPS in addition to the mobo.

He also recommends ECC memory.

Any thoughts on this Tasso?

The specs say 1.3 ghz base frequency with 1.86 ghz burst freq so it should easily run most Linux distros. We have had excellent results with single core @ 1.6 ghz. There are one or two distros built only for 64 bit architecture like "Audiophile-Linux" but if the unit supports 64 bit then it should work well with that too.

Yes, audiophile Linux v3 is what I'm looking at, will see if little computer supports 64 bit, thanks for that.

Amazon wouldnt deliver it to OZ, so I bought an Anoil with 3537F  64 bit processor from ebay- cost me $130 , Audiophile-Linux is free , so will be interesting to compare this to my expensive audio optimised PC running 2012.

I have been experimenting with more components:

Single sided memory - this also outperforms the regular memory in my setup(s). These sticks are 4GB each

8a5828c975ad9eb6fabf63ec3bcebca2.jpg

A different power supply - this one by PPA studios

be1cea17928662184c4c72b66b6d2663.jpg

And a USB Pcie card from Paul Pang of PPA. Paul makes a big deal about using an TXCO clock to re-clock the signal to the DAC.

5512a025bdf989021609e3d99632ae10.jpg

I have to say that the PPA usb card is pretty special. In my setup it outperformed the SOTM card through revealing more detail and imaging. Not night and day differences however

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice one, Tasso.

I bought a USB3.0 PCI card which Paul uses to modify from from eBay here in Australia for 12$. It uses D720202 USB host controller chip made in China which requires 24Mhz Crystal to work with.  I planned to do the same as Paul is doing on it just for enjoying the DIY feeling (knowing Paul one at 129 USD is good price). Of course I cannot make the hand-made isolation transformer (which sits between the clock output and D720202 Xtal input) using silver wires like Paul makes.

For  5V-3.3V regulator with filter to feed power to TXCO oscillator, I can grasp one from eBay or make one.

The problem is I cannot find anywhere which has TXCO or VXCO oscillator for 24 Mhz. Do anyone know where I can get one?

Tasso, if your motherboard has a spare PCI or PCIe slot, I think this PCI power noise filter below will help further at good price. It cleans out common-mode noise from PCI bus

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elfidelity-PC-HI-FI-Power-Filter-card-PCI-PCI-E-HiFi-PC-audio-power-purification-/271869855380?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4cb4c694

Edited by Tam Nguyen

Audiophil of AO fame recommends powering the SSD on which the OS resides with an LPS in addition to the mobo.

He also recommends ECC memory.

Any thoughts on this Tasso?

I thought that the motherboard needed to support ECC memory and most consumer grade boards do not. I also understand that ECC memory does data correction but at a penalty of slightly more latency. I'd be interested in anyone else's experience on this.

In terms of single sided or genuine single rank (1R) memory however, the differences are clear an unmistakeable over the standard memory that only seems available locally.

With powering the SSD from an external LPSU, I have little doubt that incremental improvements in SQ could be detected but I have drawn the line at direct LPSU power to Motherboard and to PCI/PCI-e output card as a sustainable long term solution ( aka plug and play convenience)

Amazon wouldnt deliver it to OZ, so I bought an Anoil with 3537F 64 bit processor from ebay- cost me $130 , Audiophile-Linux is free , so will be interesting to compare this to my expensive audio optimised PC running 2012.

Looking forward to your findings.