Tasso

Building the ideal(ish) Music Server

I have been using the SR50 shunt regulator in a number of my projects and it seems to do a good job.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SR50-Variable-Shunt-Voltage-Regulator-5-50V-8A-DIY-Kit-for-Amplifier-/221233153412

post-131373-0-55132800-1432024517_thumb.

Cost is $30 and you can get all the other parts to build a cased unit from Jaycar.

I swapped out the supplied electrolytic caps for Nichicon Gold tune/ Muse as I had them in my parts bin.

Audio-Gd will supply you with a good quality R-core with 10v and 15v taps for $35 plus postage if you want .

Thanks for the answer on the Teradak, @@Tasso, it now comes down to whether to continue with the Mac (and a new power supply) or have a go at building another machine using a Linux based player. I see the point with the NUC and the SOTM Card and I can also see that the compactness and "complete unit" concept of the NUC means that very few changes can be made to the hardware, whereas with a small mother board in a capacious case, modifications over time would be less of a challenge.

whether to continue with the Mac (and a new power supply) or have a go at building another machine using a Linux based player

I said 'why not both!?' and ran Linux on the macmini...  but right now I am using Windows the most.

I was determined to run the server headless - ie it will automatically boot into the player software without keyboard, screen etc and can be accessed by iPad. Some packages require their own HDD for convenient installation but those with software skills may find an easier way. I am not one of those so to compare how each sounded, I was swapping boot drives.

The Linux drive had several Linux players installed but Vbox and Daphile needed their own ( Daphile can be run from a USB stick to try it out )

a5655150b9aad8778b5c6fc4ff857a10.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Tasso

Thanks Tasso for a concise write up on your progress to computer audio. Very informative, and yet, I feel there is more to come!!

It is very hard to generalise about digital transport tuning .... as it is so inextricably linked to what the receiver does with respect to electrical isolation and/or jitter immunity ---- devices out there are designed very differently on these front.

It is very hard to generalise about digital transport tuning .... as it is so inextricably linked to what the receiver does with respect to electrical isolation and/or jitter immunity ---- devices out there are designed very differently on these front.

Quite right Dave...what works for the goose will not work for the gander.

Guest myrantz

Quite right Dave...what works for the goose will not work for the gander.

Poor choice of words/idiom... Coz reading very quickly (as I always do) - you just called Tasso a goose.. :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r: 

Also... Shouldn't it be "What's good for the goose is good for the gander"? 

My decision to build the server was not for any cost saving considerations but to investigate and understand the machinations of CA beyond the the theories. I also have a couple of other hardware and software configurations I am testing at the same time. I have only reported on one.

Server streamer performance differences are often pinned to the way DACs handle the incoming signal and while this is relevant, my objective is to focus on what, if anything at all,a better server can bring. I would also be very keen to discover through actual trials, whether any specific DAC or Chipset is 100% immune to electrical noise.

The only possible way to test any hypothesis Is through experimentation which is the process I have embarked upon. Work done by John Swensen and others do prove that galvanic isolation can be breached but beyond that, it's time to test theories.

I am keen to find out more about the impact of my approach ( and that of 100% of streamer manufacturers) on different devices. So if anyone would like to be part of the experiments with their gear please let me know ( would need to be local for obvious reasons) .

Also, I would be grateful if anyone could point out what they consider to be state of the art DACs or chipsets that are immune to the issues commonly associated with CA. I will endeavor to experiment with those as well.

I have been using the SR50 shunt regulator in a number of my projects and it seems to do a good job.

Cost is $30 and you can get all the other parts to build a cased unit from Jaycar.

I swapped out the supplied electrolytic caps for Nichicon Gold tune/ Muse as I had them in my parts bin.

Audio-Gd will supply you with a good quality R-core with 10v and 15v taps for $35 plus postage if you want .

Thanks for the heads up Gordon. It looks like the unit will fit into  an appropriate case as well which will tidy things up. Possibly need 2 if also supplying power direct to a USB card.  Do you have any transformer in mind? I would  tend to go for extra capacity so 100-120 VA?

Isn't Shunt limited by its current demand? What have you been using it for, Gordon? Can this Shunt keeps up consistently at 2A current?

Edited by Chanh

Specs say it can do 8A which seems a bit optimistic. I've got one in a dac powering FIFO 's , works well, but very easy load. In critical circuits, shunts are much better than series regs, IMO.

The metric analog kits are well made.

Hi Mick,

Specs can say whatever it likes, especially from a sale man's point of view! Worse still when one is from Chinese source via eBay channeling. Only practical tests can truly determine its real capability. There is a distinctively differ between peak current (in nano seconds) and working current (consistently capable), and I haven't yet came across a Shunt that is consistently supplying higher than 1A in such compactness!

Btw, your FIFO current demand is minimal and in the region of milli-Ampere, a factor of 1000 less. In power a computer board, current demanding is much much higher in the region of 2000 times the magnitude of your FIFO if not exceeding more. :)

While Tasso is working on his world best CA server, I've also been researching in depth with World most affordable and light CA server. This due to our differences in pay-rate! :D

I look forward for a gtg so we could shoot-out his vs mine in a foreign setup. ;) Hope to post some pics and details soon!

I have been experimenting with more components:

Single sided memory - this also outperforms the regular memory in my setup(s). These sticks are 4GB each

8a5828c975ad9eb6fabf63ec3bcebca2.jpg

A different power supply - this one by PPA studios

be1cea17928662184c4c72b66b6d2663.jpg

And a USB Pcie card from Paul Pang of PPA. Paul makes a big deal about using an TXCO clock to re-clock the signal to the DAC.

5512a025bdf989021609e3d99632ae10.jpg

I have to say that the PPA usb card is pretty special. In my setup it outperformed the SOTM card through revealing more detail and imaging. Not night and day differences however

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Mick,

Specs can say whatever it likes, especially from a sale man's point of view! Worse still when one is from Chinese source via eBay channeling. Only practical tests can truly determine its real capability. There is a distinctively differ between peak current (in nano seconds) and working current (consistently capable), and I haven't yet came across a Shunt that is consistently supplying higher than 1A in such compactness!

Btw, your FIFO current demand is minimal and in the region of milli-Ampere, a factor of 1000 less. In power a computer board, current demanding is much much higher in the region of 2000 times the magnitude of your FIFO if not exceeding more. :)

While Tasso is working on his world best CA server, I've also been researching in depth with World most affordable and light CA server. This due to our differences in pay-rate! :D

I look forward for a gtg so we could shoot-out his vs mine in a foreign setup. ;) Hope to post some pics and details soon!

The real current out will depend on final output transistors capability. I'll find datasheet and report back. It's quite heavily heatsinked so I expect it could power 2A easily. And despite your misgivings it is actually a capable design, I've had a good look at circuit, and implementation and it's fine .

Not all Chinese stuff is crap, they also make some good gear, I actually have one of these regs, not just surmising how it is or isn't.

There's a point of diminishing returns with power supplies, and it's easy to get carried away.

Having said that, bigger and stronger is better than enough.

All good Mick! Great reading that we are all open minded and provide each point of view on same subject matter. Can I encourage you try powering a audioPC from it? If it works, I will get a couple for my upcoming projects!

Look forward reading your findings!