Jump to content

Tasso

Building the ideal(ish) Music Server

Recommended Posts

I can manually set the clock source to TSC thanks to @rmpfyf but I can’t set it in snakeoil, it gives me the error no grub template?! Any ideas how to fix that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone else had the issue I described above, reinstall 1.10 fw and it’ll fix it automatically. It worked for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just loaded Snakeoil on an i3 laptop to try  and run roon server, was previously using ubuntu

 

whoa and behold

 

dmesg | grep -i tsc
[    0.000000] tsc: Fast TSC calibration using PIT
[    0.000000] tsc: Detected 2261.306 MHz processor
[    1.936296] tsc: Refined TSC clocksource calibration: 2261.392 MHz
[    1.936418] clocksource: tsc: mask: 0xffffffffffffffff max_cycles: 0x2098bdb6744, max_idle_ns: 440795258660 ns
 

Maybe an atom issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, frednork said:

Just loaded Snakeoil on an i3 laptop to try  and run roon server, was previously using ubuntu

 

whoa and behold

 

dmesg | grep -i tsc
[    0.000000] tsc: Fast TSC calibration using PIT
[    0.000000] tsc: Detected 2261.306 MHz processor
[    1.936296] tsc: Refined TSC clocksource calibration: 2261.392 MHz
[    1.936418] clocksource: tsc: mask: 0xffffffffffffffff max_cycles: 0x2098bdb6744, max_idle_ns: 440795258660 ns
 

Maybe an atom issue?

 

Could be. Different microcode and BIOS families Atom-to-Core. 

 

Now get yourself an i5/i7 with a ton of cache and low volt spec and never look back :D 

 

I would ask Kith if there's any chance it's the version of SO being used. 

 

I would also play a tune you know well and use the commands in earlier posts to flip between HPET and TSC during playback, and see what you like more. Should be audible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


@rmpfyf Had a quick chance to do a compare between hpet and tsc clocks after they were set to the values previously mentioned. Btw on the I3 its not possible to go higher as you have also experienced.  Although the session was short there was a difference in sibilance I could pick up. The TSC was a bit cleaner, I couldnt pick up other differences at this stage. Am just running off a usb again so will install on ssd and check again. It sometimes feels like a wheres wally when looking for changes as there are so many apsects which can change.

 

Have also posted a question at snakeoil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, frednork said:

Maybe an atom issue?

My understanding more of a BIOS issue.    I have seen many reports of people having the problem with core processors also.

 

Seems it all cropped up around the change-over to EFI ... although whether EFI itself is directly related I'm not sure (and don't see how it could be)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

My understanding more of a BIOS issue.    I have seen many reports of people having the problem with core processors also.

 

Seems it all cropped up around the change-over to EFI ... although whether EFI itself is directly related I'm not sure (and don't see how it could be)

Most likely BIOS... though you'd have to really really really love your motherboard to write to its manufacturer stating 'dude, where's my TSC under Linux!'

 

Worth a shot if determined, though I'd sooner not run an Atom processor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interested in feedback on the merits or otherwise of  this https://www.hystou.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=107  for use as a server around $500 + postage and mem and sd

 

  • Universal performance: Hystou fanless mini pcs compatiable with almost all popular operating systems, such as Windows, Linux. You can use this mini computer as personal computer at home, or use it as HTPC to built your own home theater center, and also you can use it in offices, training centers, factories, internet cafe and everywhere that require computers.
  • Silent operation: fanless mini pc also name as silent computer, quiet mini pc or silent desktop pc. As there is no fan inside, the pc runs totally silent all day long, make sure you can keep wholehearted in to your work.

    Processor

    CPU

    Intel Core i7-5550U

    Max. Speed

    3.0GHz

    Chipset

    Intel Broadwell single chip

    Memory

    Technology

    Dual Channel DDR3L 1600Mhz

    Max capacity

    16GB

    Socket

    2*204 pin SO-DIMM

    Graphics

    Chipset

    Intel® HD Graphics 6000

    Interface

    2*HDMI 4K output

    Ethernet

    Lan

    2* RTL8186/8111/8112 Gigabit NIC

    WAN

    Half Height Mini PCI + 2 external antennas (Optional)

    Audio

    High Definition Audio Controller, SPK+MIC

    IO Interface

    Serial Ports

    No COM Port

    USB interface

    4 USB 3.0 ports and 4 USB 2.0 ports

    Storage

    SATA

    Support 1*2.5 inch SATA laptop HDD or SDD

    mSATA

    Support 1*mSATA SSD

    OS Support

    Windows 7, 8, 10 and all kind Linux OS

    Power Requirement

    Power Type

    External power adapter mode

    Power adapter

    12V 5A

    Power Consumption

    TDP

    Theoretically max 15W, Real use max 8.7W

    TDP Down

    7.5W

    Mechanical

    Construction

    Aluminum housing

    Mounting

    Free Desk Base+Paid VESA Mounting

    Dimensions

    20.3*18*4.5CM

    Weight

    NW 1.8kg, GW 2.7kg

    Operating Environment

    Temperature

    0to 70

    Humidity

    10%-85%

    P05B-5550-PortEN.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


@frednork

 

Depends how far you want to go. 

 

If you want to control EMI in a serious way you'd probably want to build yourself, get rid of the WiFi, run single-sided RAM of 1 stick only, etc. I'm not sure how you get an audio USB card in there if that's something you'd want. 

 

I have no data on the quality of clocks or power conversion on board.

 

$500+ is a lot to try. Any reviews?

Edited by rmpfyf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This would be for the server side so no usb card required. Cant find any reviews of this machine in an audio environment. Looks like custom motherboards so not even able to look up mb specs. 

 

I am after something fanless to run a budget roon server (maybe via snakeoil ) which has enough power to upsample if I decide to try hq player. Preferably with 2 network points to allow direct connection to another pc renderer. I thought this was cheap for a recent I7 but happy to be directed to something more economical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, frednork said:

This would be for the server side so no usb card required. Cant find any reviews of this machine in an audio environment. Looks like custom motherboards so not even able to look up mb specs. 

 

I am after something fanless to run a budget roon server (maybe via snakeoil ) which has enough power to upsample if I decide to try hq player. Preferably with 2 network points to allow direct connection to another pc renderer. I thought this was cheap for a recent I7 but happy to be directed to something more economical.

Not so bad, then. I'd tend towards Mini-ITX just in case you wanted to expand anything, though really this isn't so bad. @stuckinhere has a point that you may fare better with not-latest-gen stuff; I'd suggest you probably want more than 2 physical cores though. Go nuts with some grunt here, it's your playback PC that needs to be tuned for lower power. 

Edited by rmpfyf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


On 16/09/2018 at 10:40 PM, rmpfyf said:

 

Could be. Different microcode and BIOS families Atom-to-Core. 

 

Now get yourself an i5/i7 with a ton of cache and low volt spec and never look back :D 

 

I would ask Kith if there's any chance it's the version of SO being used. 

 

I would also play a tune you know well and use the commands in earlier posts to flip between HPET and TSC during playback, and see what you like more. Should be audible.

Asked Kith about the TCS issue reply below

 

Can confirm the same behaviour in my own setup. Pretty sure this is the cause:
 

Code:
clocksource: Override clocksource tsc is not HRT compatible - cannot switch while in HRT/NOHZ mode



Snakeoil is using what is called a 'TICKLESS' kernel. Probably this is the cause.. Give me a few days to experiment and work out a solution. This will likely use another kernel..

 

Also still looking at server options

 

any thoughts on a current Intel NUC Kit NUC7I7BNH which is similar cost to the one before

 

Pros-

can run roon rock,

ready to go

 

cons-

only one ethernet port,

has fan? ,

cant seem to easily find bios options,

only 2 core cpu

Edited by frednork

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Snakeoil is using what is called a 'TICKLESS' kernel. Probably this is the cause.. Give me a few days to experiment and work out a solution. This will likely use another kernel..

I thought "Agent" Kith has an account here.... anyways.

 

I wanted to ask if he considered if the "solution" to provide HRT was actually a good one for this problem.    ie. maybe "Can I have HRT?" ... should be met with "you don't want HRT!".  ;) 

 

Reading here:  https://hk.saowen.com/a/186b0baee971cc12c83219c7d3c426e93cab59e5d183cc4c3862e8330abdf805 ... it seems to say that if your hardware timer is good, then tickless high res mode could be the best solution.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/09/2018 at 6:04 PM, rmpfyf said:

HRT = high resolution timer

NOHZ = kernel configured with tickless idle (see https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9775042/how-nohz-on-affects-do-timer-in-linux-kernel)

 

Had mentioned this. Common to many audiophile builds (don't quite run it myself, there's a little more to be had in not being fully tickless, but it's the right direction).

 

Still vote partial BIOS issue - even w/tickless can get TSC and HPET running here quite happily. You will notice a change in kernel tick audibly.

Edited by rmpfyf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...