Tasso

Building the ideal(ish) Music Server

4 hours ago, JDWest said:

@rmpfyf thanks kindly for the input.  So many questions 😉 but I'll start with clocksource fequencies and these commands:

echo "8192" | sudo tee --append /proc/sys/dev/hpet/max-user-freq
echo "4095" | sudo tee --append /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/max_user_freq

Within Snakeoil I found tsc sounded best for me. It also gave the best cyclictest results. In BIOS if I disabled HPET timer it sounded worse and cyclictest results were shocking. I don't know how this all relates; maybe it makes no sense and I did do different tests on different motherboards at different times.

Anyway, I see hpet in one of the above commands and wanted to know if these commands need to change if I'm selecting tsc?

For the numbers (8192 and 4095 seemed to work for me) is there any rule like needing to be a multiple of x or can I enter any number?

Cheers

You'll want the HPET enabled for audio work, too much uses it - you can use it as the system clocksource too in Linux, if you've tsc available it's usefully lower latency. 

The two commands above just set the interrupt freq for two different clocksources (the RTC I'd think is less important). From what clocksources you have available,  echo "CLOCKSOURCE" | sudo tee --append /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource should change the clocksource. 

13 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

You'll want the HPET enabled for audio work, too much uses it - you can use it as the system clocksource too in Linux, if you've tsc available it's usefully lower latency. 

The two commands above just set the interrupt freq for two different clocksources (the RTC I'd think is less important). From what clocksources you have available,  echo "CLOCKSOURCE" | sudo tee --append /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource should change the clocksource. 

I'm a bit confused.

So in BIOS I do always enable HPET timer. You agree I think?

Within Snakeoil web interface, I can select tsc, hpet or acpi_pm. I always select tsc (don't need an ssh command to do so). I think you find that a reasonable choice.

Now, with HPET enabled in BIOS and tsc selected in Snakeoil, would the following command change anything?:

OK, the number adjusts interrupt freq, so does the higher number mean that interrupts can happen faster?...or something like that.

@frednork if I have some time I might have to install a latest SO on a USB stick and play!

See what cpu0 brings up - cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0. Should tell you whether a file (you'll see contents) or a directory. Or just use ls /sys/devices/system/cpu -l to give you an annotated list of what's what, along with permissions. If it's sh***y on permissions try again with sudo in front (that's a guess). You seem to have nothing in there for throttling the CPU, which suggests it's probably not been compiled in the version of the kernel you have. From memory (mine can be sketchy here) I think there was a guide on how to use or otherwise compile a kernel for SO, or I can put together some instructions on how to hack that way. Whilst you can end up in a place where your system needs some love to boot at all (and in some corner cases it's possible to ruin good hardware too - though unlikely) it's the start of the rabbit home and a lot of fun from there. 

Depending how the kernel is built you may be able to load the support your CPU needs as a module - something like https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?301748-Atom-CPU-automatic-frequency-scaling-without-speedstep

I would bear in mind that Atom and Core CPUs have vastly different power/frequency control, and will report differently to the OS through the BIOS. It'd be interesting to hear what Core CPU SO users report. 

As to not seeing tsc as a clocksource, first let's check your CPU supports this (grep tsc /proc/cpuinfo will tell you as much - should show up there for every CPU core, or it won't). Maybe the OS is blacklisting it on boot? Check your boot messages for anything interesting - report back on dmesg | grep -i tsc. It should be there unless it's blacklisted - the only Atom I have running at home (in my NAS) reports tsc, hpet and acpi_pm. I'd suggest hpet to be better in your current instance but really... you want a working tsc. 

As for not being able to set affinity, it's possible that whomever built your kernel doesn't want you to change that - it's certainly possible to build a kernel that limits your ability to set affinity manually (I think the kernel flag is PF_NO_SETAFFINITY). It's also possible that your kernel's author hasn't listed their build parameters either, because it's their work and they're keen to keep it that way. In which case the only way to get that happening is to submit a feature request - which I'd think would be a worthy thing, and likely something on Kith's radar - latest version seems to have cgroupset for some application CPU affinity in the paid version, I'd think a next step would be being able to set affinities for interrupts etc. Would you believe on my four-core CPU there's an audible difference as to which cores the playback application and the USB interrupt run on? True story.

Of course, if you want to roll your own kernel then you start afresh and build what you want :)  It's fun, and it'd be completely possible to have a PC that boots with a menu for what SO intended and your own kernel as a second option. I have a few going at any one time, and some forum members are pretty exotic here, netbooting kernels and the like. 

Hopefully someone else chimes in at this point :D 

28 minutes ago, JDWest said:

I'm a bit confused.

So in BIOS I do always enable HPET timer. You agree I think?

Within Snakeoil web interface, I can select tsc, hpet or acpi_pm. I always select tsc (don't need an ssh command to do so). I think you find that a reasonable choice.

Now, with HPET enabled in BIOS and tsc selected in Snakeoil, would the following command change anything?:

OK, the number adjusts interrupt freq, so does the higher number mean that interrupts can happen faster?...or something like that.

In BIOS you enable it, this lets your PC access it. 

What you're changing in Snakeoil is only what your operating system uses for a clock reference. Any application can use any clocksource (or multiples) at any time. Naturally the OS touches a lot, so there's an audible difference. 

The command changes how accurately the HPET timer can be accessed, the standard being 1/64th of a second. That's plenty fine for word processing, you probably want something more resolute for audiophile work - a few thousand Hz will do. Of course it also means if there are more HPET requests than there is frequency to handle them at the standard frequency, upping the frequency can resolve this (if it doesn't come at the expense of other resources).

Edited by rmpfyf

@rmpfyf  Do you know another ssh method to shut down mobo USB hubs/ports?

...other than via uhubctl?

I use a SOtM PCIe-USB card to DAC and don't use any mobo USB ports on my Gigabyte GA-B250M-HD3.  Unfortunately, uhubctl doesn't detect my mobo's USB hubs; it only detects the ones connecting to my DAC (I can switch those off in Snakeoil). lsusb shows all the hubs.

Cheers

@rmpfyf apologies for the unwieldy post, just didnt know what to leave out

See what cpu0 brings up - cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0. 

so@so-desktop:~$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0
cat: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0: No such file or directory

. Or just use ls /sys/devices/system/cpu -l to give you an annotated list of what's what, along with permissions.

so@so-desktop:~$  ls /sys/devices/system/cpu -l
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root    0 Sep  1 17:59 cpu0
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root    0 Sep  1 17:59 cpu1
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Sep  1 17:59 isolated
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Sep  1 18:14 kernel_max
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    0 Sep  1 21:46 microcode
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Sep  1 21:46 modalias
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Sep  1 21:46 offline
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Sep  1 17:59 online
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Sep  1 18:14 possible
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Sep  1 18:14 present
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Sep  1 17:59 uevent

If it's sh***y on permissions try again with sudo in front (that's a guess).

so@so-desktop:~$ sudo cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0
[sudo] password for so:
cat: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0: No such file or directory

Depending how the kernel is built you may be able to load the support your CPU needs as a module - something like https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?301748-Atom-CPU-automatic-frequency-scaling-without-speedstep

Followed the thread and got

so@so-desktop:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo|grep "model name"|head -n 1
model name      : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N2800   @ 1.86GHz
so@so-desktop:~$ cpupower frequency-info
The program 'cpupower' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt install linux-tools-common
so@so-desktop:~$ sudo modprobe p4-clockmod
modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod.c:586 kmod_search_moddep() could not open moddep file '/lib/modules/4.4.9-rt17-snakeoil-x64/modules.dep.bin'
modprobe: FATAL: Module p4-clockmod not found in directory /lib/modules/4.4.9-rt17-snakeoil-x64

so@so-desktop:~$ sudo apt install linux-tools-common
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  dmeventd dmraid faad freepats gir1.2-javascriptcoregtk-4.0 gir1.2-soup-2.4
  gir1.2-vte-2.91 gir1.2-webkit2-4.0 kpartx kpartx-boot lame laptop-detect
  libao-common libao4 libaudio2 libcaca0 libdevmapper-event1.02.1
  libdmraid1.0.0.rc16 libfaad2 libiw30 liblilv-0-0 liblo7 liblvm2cmd2.02
  libmikmod3 libmp3lame0 libmpg123-0 libopenal-data libopenal1
  libparted-fs-resize0 libportaudio2 libreadline5 libsdl1.2debian libserd-0-0
  libsord-0-0 libspeex1 libsratom-0-0 libtimezonemap-data libvte-2.91-0
  libvte-2.91-common lzma mikmod mpg123 osspd osspd-pulseaudio sbsigntool
  timidity timidity-daemon vorbis-tools
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  linux-tools-common
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 278 not upgraded.
Need to get 142 kB of archives.
After this operation, 527 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main amd64 linux-tools-common all 4.4.0-134.160 [142 kB]
Fetched 142 kB in 2s (68.7 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package linux-tools-common.
(Reading database ... 49975 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../linux-tools-common_4.4.0-134.160_all.deb ...
Unpacking linux-tools-common (4.4.0-134.160) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.5-1) ...
/usr/bin/mandb: fopen /var/cache/man/it/9160: Permission denied
/usr/bin/mandb: fopen /var/cache/man/tr/9160: Permission denied
/usr/bin/mandb: fopen /var/cache/man/fi/9160: Permission denied
/usr/bin/mandb: fopen /var/cache/man/ja/9160: Permission denied
/usr/bin/mandb: fopen /var/cache/man/pt_BR/9160: Permission denied
/usr/bin/mandb: fopen /var/cache/man/fr/9160: Permission denied
/usr/bin/mandb: fopen /var/cache/man/zh_TW/9160: Permission denied
/usr/bin/mandb: fopen /var/cache/man/ru/9160: Permission denied
/usr/bin/mandb: fopen /var/cache/man/pt/9160: Permission denied
/usr/bin/mandb: fopen /var/cache/man/ko/9160: Permission denied
/usr/bin/mandb: fopen /var/cache/man/nl/9160: Permission denied
/usr/bin/mandb: fopen /var/cache/man/id/9160: Permission denied
/usr/bin/mandb: fopen /var/cache/man/pl/9160: Permission denied
/usr/bin/mandb: fopen /var/cache/man/sl/9160: Permission denied
/usr/bin/mandb: fopen /var/cache/man/hu/9160: Permission denied
/usr/bin/mandb: fopen /var/cache/man/zh_CN/9160: Permission denied
/usr/bin/mandb: fopen /var/cache/man/da/9160: Permission denied
/usr/bin/mandb: fopen /var/cache/man/sv/9160: Permission denied
/usr/bin/mandb: fopen /var/cache/man/cs/9160: Permission denied
/usr/bin/mandb: fopen /var/cache/man/de/9160: Permission denied
/usr/bin/mandb: fopen /var/cache/man/es/9160: Permission denied
Setting up linux-tools-common (4.4.0-134.160) ...
so@so-desktop:~$ cpupower frequency-info
WARNING: cpupower not found for kernel 4.4.9-rt17

You may need to install the following packages for this specific kernel:
    linux-tools-4.4.9-rt17-snakeoil-x64
    linux-cloud-tools-4.4.9-rt17-snakeoil-x64

You may also want to install one of the following packages to keep up to date:
    linux-tools-snakeoil-x64
    linux-cloud-tools-snakeoil-x64

so@so-desktop:~$ sudo apt instal linux-tools-4.4.9-rt17-snakeoil-x64
E: Invalid operation instal
so@so-desktop:~$ sudo apt install linux-tools-4.4.9-rt17-snakeoil-x64
Building dependency tree
E: Unable to locate package linux-tools-4.4.9-rt17-snakeoil-x64
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'linux-tools-4.4.9-rt17-snakeoil-x64'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-tools-4.4.9-rt17-snakeoil-x64'

so@so-desktop:~$ sudo apt install linux-cloud-tools-4.4.9-rt17-snakeoil-x64
Building dependency tree
E: Unable to locate package linux-cloud-tools-4.4.9-rt17-snakeoil-x64
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'linux-cloud-tools-4.4.9-rt17-snakeoil-x64'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-cloud-tools-4.4.9-rt17-snakeoil-x64'

As to not seeing tsc as a clocksource, first let's check your CPU supports this (grep tsc /proc/cpuinfo will tell you as much - should show up there for every CPU core, or it won't).

Maybe the OS is blacklisting it on boot? Check your boot messages for anything interesting - report back on dmesg | grep -i tsc. It should be there unless it's blacklisted - the only Atom I have running at home (in my NAS) reports tsc, hpet and acpi_pm. I'd suggest hpet to be better in your current instance but really... you want a working tsc. 

Maybe the TSC is broken

grep tsc /proc/cpuinfo
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts nopl nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm movbe lahf_lm arat dtherm
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts nopl nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm movbe lahf_lm arat dtherm
so@so-desktop:~$ dmesg | grep -i tsc
[    0.000000] tsc: Fast TSC calibration using PIT
[    0.000000] tsc: Detected 1862.228 MHz processor
[    0.355395] TSC synchronization [CPU#0 -> CPU#1]:
[    0.355397] Measured 64869 cycles TSC warp between CPUs, turning off TSC clock.
[    0.355403] tsc: Marking TSC unstable due to check_tsc_sync_source failed
[    0.654091] clocksource: tsc: mask: 0xffffffffffffffff max_cycles: 0x35af94fd872, max_idle_ns: 881590752918 ns

As for not being able to set affinity, it's possible that whomever built your kernel doesn't want you to change that - it's certainly possible to build a kernel that limits your ability to set affinity manually (I think the kernel flag is PF_NO_SETAFFINITY). It's also possible that your kernel's author hasn't listed their build parameters either, because it's their work and they're keen to keep it that way. In which case the only way to get that happening is to submit a feature request - which I'd think would be a worthy thing, and likely something on Kith's radar - latest version seems to have cgroupset for some application CPU affinity in the paid version, I'd think a next step would be being able to set affinities for interrupts etc. Would you believe on my four-core CPU there's an audible difference as to which cores the playback application and the USB interrupt run on? True story.

Seems like you can set IRQ priority in snakeoil

Process Priority

How various programs are executed in Linux to give you that multi-tasking ability is determined by something call a process scheduler. How it all works is beyond the scope of this manual, because it largely dependent on the technique (plus other stuffs). Suffice to say if you are using a cooperative scheduler then you can use this option to fine-tune how often a process gets "looked at" in the queue. Snakeoil kernels with RT patches are all preemptive so this option is probably useless.

Snakeoil

Click on the "Add Process" button to add a new process. In the process name field, enter the name (or part of) of the process you wish to reassign a new priority. The prio field is the new priority level you want this process to be set to (this field is numeric only, with 1 being lowest priority, and 99 being real-time). Note that we only adjust the priority level here and not the scheduler policy. The later is really reserved for advanced users and not for general use. 

So I did this

image.thumb.png.29300f068c071f78d7c13ae052fe8a64.png@rmpfyf

image.thumb.png.29300f068c071f78d7c13ae052fe8a64.png

Of course, if you want to roll your own kernel then you start afresh and build what you want :)  It's fun, and it'd be completely possible to have a PC that boots with a menu for what SO intended and your own kernel as a second option. I have a few going at any one time, and some forum members are pretty exotic here, netbooting kernels and the like. 

It seems you can load your own Kernel into snakeoil, not sure how custom it can be

Firmware

You can update your Snakeoil OS by installing a new firmware. It's always a good idea to install the latest firmware because:

• Includes bug fixes
  • Contains additional features and functions not available in your older edition
  • Better stability improved user experience. 

System

Simply drag the file and drop it in the marked rectangle to begin installation.

Linux Kernel

The Linux kernel can be interpreted as the heart (or brains) of the computer. The kernel controls everything. It is the bit of code that bridges the hardware and other software, balancing the needs of computer processing, hardware access, user responsiveness and more. You can replace the kernel of your Snakeoil OS by dropping a new kernel file into the marked rectangle. Some common examples of why you need to use a different kernel are:

1. The stock kernel that comes with the LiveCD includes features that are no longer necessary after you have installed Snakeoil OS. A kernel without these additional features are smaller in size, meaning you will experience a slightly faster boot up time, and perhaps even a small sonic improvement.
  2. Support new features (e.g. native DSD) or DACs (e.g. MyTek)
  3. Different settings in the kernel configuration may influence the sound signature. e.g. use of a real time scheduler will change how applications behave, and that may be a positive (or negative) in terms of sonic quality. Refer to the custom kernel section on how to create your own kernel and package your built files into a format Snakeoil understands. This usually requires another Linux machine, or you can built it directly on your Snakeoil computer (bypassing the web interface completely).

You can check the kernel you are using from the Snakeoil OS Web App Dashboard. One of the first tweaks you can do to your Snakeoil OS is to use a more streamlined kernel. Download pre-built kernel files from the Snakeoil Resource, or compile your own.Updating the kernel is the same as upgrading firmware. Simply drag the downloaded file and drop it into the marked box as above.

Once the kernel is uploaded, you need to reboot the machine for the new kernel to take effect.

WARNING: Using a different kernel can be risky - it is the heart and soul of a computer after all and you can never truely know if the new kernel you uploaded will boot the computer up, or not. If things go wrong, refer to the Failed Kernel section to how to recover your computer back to a usable state.

Refer to the custom kernel article for details.

Of course, if you want to roll your own kernel then you start afresh and build what you want :)  It's fun, and it'd be completely possible to have a PC that boots with a menu for what SO intended and your own kernel as a second option. I have a few going at any one time, and some forum members are pretty exotic here, netbooting kernels and the like. 

It seems you can load your own Kernel into snakeoil, not sure how custom it can be

Firmware

You can update your Snakeoil OS by installing a new firmware. It's always a good idea to install the latest firmware because:

• Includes bug fixes
  • Contains additional features and functions not available in your older edition
  • Better stability improved user experience. 

System

Simply drag the file and drop it in the marked rectangle to begin installation.

Linux Kernel

The Linux kernel can be interpreted as the heart (or brains) of the computer. The kernel controls everything. It is the bit of code that bridges the hardware and other software, balancing the needs of computer processing, hardware access, user responsiveness and more. You can replace the kernel of your Snakeoil OS by dropping a new kernel file into the marked rectangle. Some common examples of why you need to use a different kernel are:

1. The stock kernel that comes with the LiveCD includes features that are no longer necessary after you have installed Snakeoil OS. A kernel without these additional features are smaller in size, meaning you will experience a slightly faster boot up time, and perhaps even a small sonic improvement.
  2. Support new features (e.g. native DSD) or DACs (e.g. MyTek)
  3. Different settings in the kernel configuration may influence the sound signature. e.g. use of a real time scheduler will change how applications behave, and that may be a positive (or negative) in terms of sonic quality. Refer to the custom kernel section on how to create your own kernel and package your built files into a format Snakeoil understands. This usually requires another Linux machine, or you can built it directly on your Snakeoil computer (bypassing the web interface completely).

You can check the kernel you are using from the Snakeoil OS Web App Dashboard. One of the first tweaks you can do to your Snakeoil OS is to use a more streamlined kernel. Download pre-built kernel files from the Snakeoil Resource, or compile your own.Updating the kernel is the same as upgrading firmware. Simply drag the downloaded file and drop it into the marked box as above.

Once the kernel is uploaded, you need to reboot the machine for the new kernel to take effect.

WARNING: Using a different kernel can be risky - it is the heart and soul of a computer after all and you can never truely know if the new kernel you uploaded will boot the computer up, or not. If things go wrong, refer to the Failed Kernel section to how to recover your computer back to a usable state.

Refer to the custom kernel article for details.

Edited by frednork

@JDWest sorry, I know of no other ways to legitimately power the USB ports down. The USB controller has to be something that supports this sort of functionality and if it doesn't, you can't shut it down. It's not something a lot of recent chips do and I get a bit of a free kick here for using something a bit antiquated. Honestly in your case I'd just pull any devices from the non-used USB ports and idle the ports in BIOS if you can, whilst +5VDC across your board to your USB routes isn't ideal you can at least not have anything connected to them. If your USB card only uses one port and has e.g. two then you can get smart there. 

@frednork no problem. 

Seems the kernel is built without frequency scaling control support, which you won't be able to change. You can build the tools for that particular kernel if you go the long way and download everything you need to build stuff, but seriously... I would just submit it as a feature request - ask specifically for the ability to use an ondemand governor (or anything that lets you control speed) and then the ability to lower CPU speed during playback. Results can be quite eye-opening.

As suspected your OS is blacklisting tsc. Which is s**t, because you're missing out on the lowest-latency clock your hardware has. tsc does it's thing on each core on your CPU (both) and they're out of sync. You can try a newer BIOS for your motherboard to see if it fixes it. You could force your PC to boot as a single-core only machine, which would effectively fix the tsc issue by ignoring the second core and never needing to sync more than one tsc source. You'd do this by adding nosmp to your GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line (the usual sudo nano /etc/default/grub to get in and edit - as in GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="text 3 biosdevname=0 net.ifnames=0 isolcpus=1 processor.max.cstate=3 nosoftlockup nosmp" - then sudo update-grub to make it stick, then reboot). 

This should restore tsc but beware, it'll be a one-core machine only. You will not be able to set anything to the second core. 

Pros:

• The system will drop latency everywhere as it won't use the SMP scheduler - it'll never pause and think about where it should execute anything
  • You'll have tsc back, which is the highest-accuracy, lowest-latency, lowest-overhead-to-read clock the OS has at its disposal

Cons:

• One Atom core is not a lot - fine for me but I don't do DSD
  • That one core will be doing everything, so there's no chance of splitting off audio duties elsewhere

I would hope there's an updated BIOS that addresses your issues. I'd try it, start with Redbook audio and see if you like the result, then go higher and harder in frequency to find a limit. It's possible to have it boot either way off a menu. I'd suggest a second feature request to let SO users know if the system can't find tsc on a sync or other error, I'd imagine very few users ssh in and snoop around.

IRQ priority and affinity are different things. I would set priority for IRQ 17 at 99, the other two at 80 or so to start with. Your PC cannot do everything at the same time, though there's a chance the 'straight 99's' approach works (again, depends on resources). If p4p1 is your network device I wouldn't worry about it getting a sky-high priority, just play from RAM for a best experience, and at least find out your maximum MTU your router will support (then set that in SO). You'll get less interrupts. 

SO can take a different kernel just like any other Linux OS. The best thread I've found is this one https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2273355 though again, at your own risk! If you're getting started I'd get a spare SSD or whatever to try and tinker with until you've some confidence that you won't nuke your OS installation in a way that isn't too unrecoverable. At your own risk though happy to help you start though :)

Get a few minutes into it and there's a massive appreciation for the sheer amount of work that's gone into SO. Quite incredible.

@rmpfyf the saga continues!!

Ok grub is now

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=3
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="text 3 biosdevname=0 net.ifnames=0 isolcpus=1 processor.max.cstate=0 nosoftlockup nosmp"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="text"

setting tsc seemed to work

echo "tsc" | sudo tee --append /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource
tsc
but

so@so-desktop:~$ dmesg | grep -i tsc
[    0.000000] tsc: Fast TSC calibration failed
[    0.000000] tsc: PIT calibration matches HPET. 1 loops
[    0.000000] tsc: Detected 1862.209 MHz processor
[    0.348964] TSC synchronization [CPU#0 -> CPU#1]:
[    0.348966] Measured 65058 cycles TSC warp between CPUs, turning off TSC clock.
[    0.348972] tsc: Marking TSC unstable due to check_tsc_sync_source failed
[    0.654063] clocksource: tsc: mask: 0xffffffffffffffff max_cycles: 0x35af711ab28, max_idle_ns: 881590776687 ns
[ 1107.616943] clocksource: Override clocksource tsc is not HRT compatible - cannot switch while in HRT/NOHZ mode

what does this bottom line mean?

Previously I had this

so@so-desktop:~$ diff Snap1.txt Snap2.txt
9c9
<  17:        155    3454727   IO-APIC  17-fasteoi   ehci_hcd:usb2, ohci_hcd:usb                               3
---
>  17:        155    3562641   IO-APIC  17-fasteoi   ehci_hcd:usb2, ohci_hcd:usb                               3
11,12c11,12
<  23:       8313      31228   IO-APIC  23-fasteoi   ehci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb                               4
<  24:         49     397723   PCI-MSI 1048576-edge      eth0
---
>  23:       8313      31277   IO-APIC  23-fasteoi   ehci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb                               4
>  24:         49     409826   PCI-MSI 1048576-edge      eth0
14c14
< LOC:     214164     207368   Local timer interrupts
---
> LOC:     219827     212896   Local timer interrupts
19c19
< RES:      27803      20539   Rescheduling interrupts
---
> RES:      27839      20539   Rescheduling interrupts

Now I have this 

so@so-desktop:~$ diff Snap1.txt Snap2.txt
9c9
<  17:    5228440          0   IO-APIC  17-fasteoi   ehci_hcd:usb2, ohci_hcd:usb3
---
>  17:    5308775          0   IO-APIC  17-fasteoi   ehci_hcd:usb2, ohci_hcd:usb3
11,12c11,12
<  23:      16168          0   IO-APIC  23-fasteoi   ehci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb4
<  24:     777417          0   PCI-MSI 1048576-edge      eth0
---
>  23:      16208          0   IO-APIC  23-fasteoi   ehci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb4
>  24:     787235          0   PCI-MSI 1048576-edge      eth0
14c14
< LOC:     347678     282088   Local timer interrupts
---
> LOC:     352326     285866   Local timer interrupts

This is still unintelligble for me .Is it better?

I was also interested in how hard the cpu is working s and while there is some average figures in snakeoil I pulled my finger out and went searching for the linux command , htop didnt work but top did

previously the averages showing on snakeoil were around 0.05

playing a 44.1khz flac

Tasks: 119 total,   1 running, 118 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
%Cpu(s):  0.2 us,  0.3 sy,  0.0 ni, 99.5 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.0 si,  0.0 st
KiB Mem :  2037192 total,  1726716 free,   114920 used,   195556 buff/cache
KiB Swap:  2083836 total,  2083836 free,        0 used.  1877516 avail Mem

PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND
   92   root        -51   0       0         0         0      S     3.3      0.0      1:46.36    irq/17-ehci_hcd
   93 root           -51   0       0        0         0      S     1.0      0.0      0:31.35     irq/17-ohci_hcd
 1117 root       -51   0  819516 38868 19068 S   1.0     1.9      0:40.92      mono-sgen
  576 root        -51    0       0      0            0         S   0.7      0.0     0:21.07     irq/24-eth0
    4 root      -2   0       0      0      0 S   0.3  0.0   0:02.22 ktimersoftd/0
    8 root      20   0       0      0      0 S   0.3  0.0   0:00.17 rcu_preempt
 3282 so        20   0   40500   3776   3208 R   0.3  0.2   0:01.19 top
    1 root      20   0  119612   5736   4008 S   0.0  0.3   0:01.99 systemd
    2 root      20   0       0      0      0 S   0.0  0.0   0:00.00 kthreadd
    3 root      20   0       0      0      0 S   0.0  0.0   0:01.06 ksoftirqd/0
    6 root       0 -20       0      0      0 S   0.0  0.0   0:00.00 kworker/0:0H
    9 root      20   0       0      0      0 S   0.0  0.0   0:00.00 rcu_sched
   10 root      20   0       0      0      0 S   0.0  0.0   0:00.30 rcuc/0
   11 root      20   0       0      0      0 S   0.0  0.0   0:00.00 kclksetdelayd
   12 root      rt   0       0      0      0 S   0.0  0.0   0:00.00 posixcputmr/0
   13 root      20   0       0      0      0 S   0.0  0.0   0:00.00 kcmosdelayd
   14 root      rt   0       0      0      0 S   0.0  0.0   0:00.00 migration/0

for dsd256

top - 13:34:55 up  1:38,  1 user,  load average: 0.57, 0.31, 0.26
Tasks: 119 total,   2 running, 117 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
%Cpu(s): 21.6 us,  0.0 sy,  0.0 ni, 77.7 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.7 si,  0.0 st
KiB Mem :  2037192 total,  1699952 free,   140876 used,   196364 buff/cache
KiB Swap:  2083836 total,  2083836 free,        0 used.  1851512 avail Mem

1117 root     -51   0  950620  59896 9068 S   4.6       2.9         1:35.35 mono-sgen
   92    root     -51   0       0          0            0   S    3.6       0.0        2:55.47 irq/17-ehci_hcd
  576   root       -51   0       0          0           0     S   3.6         0.0      1:01.35 irq/24-eth0
   93    root     -51   0         0        0           0      S    1.0       0.0        0:51.10 irq/17-ohci_hcd
    3 root          20   0          0      0             0      R   0.3         0.0   0:01.78 ksoftirqd/0
 1106 root     -51   0  978292  50592  20104 S   0.3       2.5   0:11.20 mono-sgen
 4499 so        20   0   40504   3756      3180   R   0.3        0.2   0:01.80 top
    1 root         20   0  119612   5736   4008 S   0.0  0.3   0:02.00 systemd
    4 root      -2   0       0      0      0 S   0.0  0.0   0:03.81 ktimersoftd/0
    8 root      20   0       0      0      0 S   0.0  0.0   0:00.27 rcu_preempt
   10 root      20   0       0      0      0 S   0.0  0.0   0:00.52 rcuc/0
so@so-desktop:~$

for dsd 128

top - 13:42:37 up  1:46,  1 user,  load average: 0.33, 0.48, 0.40
Tasks: 119 total,   1 running, 118 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
%Cpu(s):  1.0 us,  0.9 sy,  0.0 ni, 97.6 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.5 si,  0.0 st
KiB Mem :  2037192 total,  1705584 free,   135320 used,   196288 buff/cache
KiB Swap:  2083836 total,  2083836 free,        0 used.  1857312 avail Mem

92 root     -51   0       0      0      0 S   3.3  0.0   3:11.32 irq/17-ehci_hcd
 1117 root     -51   0  950620  53700  19064 S   2.3  2.6   1:50.82 mono-sgen
  576 root     -51   0       0      0      0 S   2.0  0.0   1:13.62 irq/24-eth0
   93 root     -51   0       0      0      0 S   0.7  0.0   0:55.56 irq/17-ohci_hcd
 5004 so        20   0   40500   3728   3160 R   0.3  0.2   0:00.45 top
    1 root      20   0  119612   5736   4008 S   0.0  0.3   0:02.00 systemd
    3 root      20   0       0      0      0 S   0.0  0.0   0:01.95 ksoftirqd/0
    4 root      -2   0       0      0      0 S   0.0  0.0   0:04.16 ktimersoftd/0
    8 root      20   0       0      0      0 S   0.0  0.0   0:00.30 rcu_preempt
   10 root      20   0       0      0      0 S   0.0  0.0   0:00.56 rcuc/0
   14 root      rt   0       0      0      0 S   0.0  0.0   0:00.00 migration/0

Although things do seem to vary a bit with it coming down to .2 load average even on 256 at times

@frednork  An easier way to access TOP is via the Snakeoil interface. Go to the System tab and click the button labelled TOP.

Also, when you want to add a process priority in the Snakeoil tab, go to TOP first and note the exact spelling of the command. The commands that pop up near the top of the list are the ones of more interest. Use the same spelling when you enter them in Process Priority in the Snakeoil tab. If you set them at 99, then when you go back to TOP, you should see "rt" for that command in the PR column. Otherwise you'll see the number you entered.

Note that TOP within Snakeoil may abbreviate the command name with a "+" at the end. It will still work typing that or you can use the full name as you see when ssh-ing into TOP.  I can see that it didn't work in your last attempt because you only entered part of the command name.

Here's an example from my system:

Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 1.10.40 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 1.13.47 pm.png

1 hour ago, frednork said:

Also forgot to mention, Bios seems to be latest so not much joy there

Try turning off speedstep, and any C-states you can access in the BIOS.

If in the rare case you BIOS let's you disable CPU cores, try disabling one of them, and seeing if it makes any difference to TSC syncing.

@frednork damn, she runs a lot of processes for an audiophile OS...

That you have straight zeros on core 1 for interrupt usage suggests you’re currently in no-SMP (single-core) mode. It would also seem you can reliably set tsc for a clock source - if you cat the current clocsource file you should be able to validate this.

Your OS is ill still check for warp across different tsc signals, and it will still throw up a note here, though I’d doubt its super important to single core operation.

Seems to run a tickless or dynticks kernel (no surprises) and a swap file (surprising, maybe I have that wrong).

Most importantly - what are you hearing?

I’d use different hardware - tsc is important. 

22 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

If in the rare case you BIOS let's you disable CPU cores, try disabling one of them, and seeing if it makes any difference to TSC syncing.

Good call here @frednork - can you post a pic of your BIOS settings?

13 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

That you have straight zeros on core 1 for interrupt usage suggests you’re currently in no-SMP (single-core) mode.

If that's the case (2 CPU, but with a no-SMP kernel mode), then it could be the cause for the problem.

I'd enable SMP, or disable a core (if the BIOS allows) and try again.

I don't think forcing TSC on will be a good idea while it is still detecting such a drift between cores  (as it will continue to detect them, which will keep it 'busy').

54 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

I don't think forcing TSC on will be a good idea while it is still detecting such a drift between cores  (as it will continue to detect them, which will keep it 'busy').

Shouldnt do, once marked unstable it shouldn’t keep trying, and not an issue with SMP disabled at any rate. One way to find out! (Note - had tsc warp errors with SMP enabled, though it could well be a BIOS setting as you suggest).

But you’re right - if the BIOS allows disabling a core that’d be a more elegant way.

@frednork does it default to tsc with SMP disabled?

Lets get to the bottom of this tsc error:

2 hours ago, JDWest said:

@frednork  An easier way to access TOP is via the Snakeoil interface. Go to the System tab and click the button labelled TOP.

Also, when you want to add a process priority in the Snakeoil tab, go to TOP first and note the exact spelling of the command. The commands that pop up near the top of the list are the ones of more interest. Use the same spelling when you enter them in Process Priority in the Snakeoil tab. If you set them at 99, then when you go back to TOP, you should see "rt" for that command in the PR column. Otherwise you'll see the number you entered.

Note that TOP within Snakeoil may abbreviate the command name with a "+" at the end. It will still work typing that or you can use the full name as you see when ssh-ing into TOP.  I can see that it didn't work in your last attempt because you only entered part of the command name.

Here's an example from my system:

Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 1.10.40 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 1.13.47 pm.png

Thanks JDWEST, that is definitely easier, yes I deleted those processes and did IRQ17 and RoonBridge .

It looks like there are 2 IRQ17 processes in those snapshots. Do I do both or others?

1 hour ago, davewantsmoore said:

Hi davewantsmoore, in the readouts above the speedstep (EIST) is disabled and the only other option is enhanced C state which is also off. U nfortunately the Bios is pretty light on with CPU stuff and disabling or throttling is not available.

1 hour ago, rmpfyf said:

That you have straight zeros on core 1 for interrupt usage suggests you’re currently in no-SMP (single-core) mode. It would also seem you can reliably set tsc for a clock source - if you cat the current clocsource file you should be able to validate this.

Your OS is ill still check for warp across different tsc signals, and it will still throw up a note here, though I’d doubt its super important to single core operation.

Seems to run a tickless or dynticks kernel (no surprises) and a swap file (surprising, maybe I have that wrong).

Most importantly - what are you hearing?

I’d use different hardware - tsc is important. 

I happen to have another MB so might give that one a go. Not able to have a good listen atm . Tomorrow maybe.

1 hour ago, rmpfyf said:

Good call here @frednork - can you post a pic of your BIOS settings?

see above

1 hour ago, davewantsmoore said:

If that's the case (2 CPU, but with a no-SMP kernel mode), then it could be the cause for the problem.

I'd enable SMP, or disable a core (if the BIOS allows) and try again.

Cant disable a core via Bios so enable SMP??? but either way it wont allow using TSC

15 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

Shouldnt do, once marked unstable it shouldn’t keep trying, and not an issue with SMP disabled at any rate. One way to find out! (Note - had tsc warp errors with SMP enabled, though it could well be a BIOS setting as you suggest).

But you’re right - if the BIOS allows disabling a core that’d be a more elegant way.

@frednork does it default to tsc with SMP disabled?

Lets get to the bottom of this tsc error:

TSC doesnt work in any config I have tried thus far. It doesnt come up as an option in SO and as it said in a previous post

[ 1107.616943] clocksource: Override clocksource tsc is not HRT compatible - cannot switch while in HRT/NOHZ mode 

what is HRT/NOHZ mode?

Thanks guys for trying to nut this out. Even as it is this is the server that is close to the SMS200 ultra and much better than the SMS200 without any of the SSH tweaks suggested over the last couple of days.