Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
TP1

Building the ideal(ish) Music Server

Recommended Posts

Right @Chanh @Tasso anyone else, need a little advice

 

I have a spare room my wife wants audio in and she loves an old Antec HTPC case I have. The motherboard in it isn't quite grunty enough for the 4K display in there (it'll be for sale soon) so to get out of jail cheaply I've bought an Asrock J4105-ITX board to slot in there. Fanless and all that so less complaints. 

 

There's an ATX power supply in the box that I can gut out and plenty of room left after removing what was a mATX motherboard. I have a spare PicoPSU that's perfect for this role. 

 

Is there a ~19V very regulated linear power supply that I can screw into the chassis that'll do the ~30W or so the PC needs? Planning on teeing off a +5VDC on an LDO for the SSD.

 

(Then complete silence and happy wife). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/01/2020 at 2:13 AM, brhifi said:

The Intel boards have two mini PCIe slots and a PCIe slot. 

On my new build, Control PC only, I am using the Mini-PCIe slot with 128GB Samsung MSata. It works well, near RAM-Disk speed for loading up the OS. However, you must ensure your mobo can support MSata in that mini-PCIe slot.  

 

Mixed of feedback w.r.t utilising the CF card for OS drive. With my very own extensive practical testings and listenings, had found it is compromised too much the resolutions, dynamic, and timing. Of-course, this findings is subjective to my personal hearing capability and system dependent. On the scientific side of things, CF has too much latency issue.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rmpfyf said:

I have a spare room my wife wants audio in and she loves an old Antec HTPC case I have. The motherboard in it isn't quite grunty enough for the 4K display in there (it'll be for sale soon) so to get out of jail cheaply I've bought an Asrock J4105-ITX board to slot in there. Fanless and all that so less complaints. 

 

There's an ATX power supply in the box that I can gut out and plenty of room left after removing what was a mATX motherboard. I have a spare PicoPSU that's perfect for this role. 

 

Is there a ~19V very regulated linear power supply that I can screw into the chassis that'll do the ~30W or so the PC needs? Planning on teeing off a +5VDC on an LDO for the SSD.

 

(Then complete silence and happy wife). 

It is depending on your dc-dc atx modular. Most of pico unit has the flexibility accept dc voltage ranging from 23vdc to 19vdc. If your is one of that, perhaps, you could build your very own psu for approx $150. I can provide to you the detail via PM if you like? 

 

Ultimately, you need a bridge rectifier setup. Try sourcing Schottky rectifier diodes for your build, as these have strict tolerance. For 30W, you'd only requiring a 120 to 150VA tranny if using choke filter.  Get a choke with 3A 50mH will do the job, a 47uf film cap, and two 2200uf electrolytic caps, follow by two 220uf in parallel as output.  Lastly, a bleeder resistor at 3.3k Ohm with 20W rating.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies for my lack of response here. I will update to you soon my new builds and formula/recipe should anyone like to mirroring. Would love to re-group with new faces, those with passion in computer audio and None Commercialise advantage.

 

Currently busy doing my wine cellar. When this is done..., i will finalise my computer audio builds with a gtg session one Sunday afternoon so we can exchange, collaborate your personal experience for your own build.  

 

6DAE9D62-6173-47E8-845D-591A0D43D6C2.jpeg

D1C9101B-7671-4F27-B34B-FE2A9F6FDF9C.jpeg

Edited by Chanh
Photos attached

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


On 11/11/2019 at 2:17 PM, Chanh said:

Recently came across this server, cost insanely 24,000 to 28,900 Euro.  🤮

 

This has motivated me somewhat to further R&D my existing dual pc setup with fine tune to i7-9500 or i9...?!? 

I have been very pleased with my CA setup though...., until now seeing this crazy server at nearly a Mini Countryman!!! 


Ideally - I am going revisit my ATX linear power supplies with individually choke input filter for all 7 rails linear psu to accomodate full spectrum ATX specs, including PSU for add on USB card and addon Ethernet card for complete isolation. A dual pc setup with Roon server Ethernet direct to HQPlayer 4.2 audio for room REW filter. Will be using windows server 2019 and operate as Ramdisk to eliminate M.2 and Sata3..... 

 

going to be interesting...  for sure! 

EA67BF5A-CC2A-4B8B-B126-0CE1252FB68D.jpeg

99684C48-FE9B-4A4E-A09F-895AFE94BFF8.png

111F6676-8FA4-4A6B-963E-056CA65788DD.jpeg

Sorry but that price is embarrassing.     I am sure there are many posters on SNA who could build something similar for a 10th of the price.

 

$45,000 Aust for an audio PC is taking the P155.

 

Regards Cazzesman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/02/2020 at 2:16 AM, Chanh said:

On my new build, Control PC only, I am using the Mini-PCIe slot with 128GB Samsung MSata. It works well, near RAM-Disk speed for loading up the OS. However, you must ensure your mobo can support MSata in that mini-PCIe slot.  

 

Mixed of feedback w.r.t utilising the CF card for OS drive. With my very own extensive practical testings and listenings, had found it is compromised too much the resolutions, dynamic, and timing. Of-course, this findings is subjective to my personal hearing capability and system dependent. On the scientific side of things, CF has too much latency issue.    

Thanks @Chanh, I tested it.  On the Swedish Hakai streamer forum the "best" sounding os solution recommended is an Intel 320 SSD.  It sounds audibly superior by some way to Mini-PCIe SSD.  The Intel 320 SSD for the os sounds significantly better than any other SSD I've tried. I'm trying to find the best combination of recommendations from this forum and the Hakai forum (https://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=10).  I hope you and @tasso don't mind me mentioning your content from here on the other forum.  I've an Intel 2500cc and Z2 pico on the way.

 

Good luck with the wine cellar! Grange, RWT & 707 are my favourite Australian wines. A colleague in my time in Sydney loved Old Adams Shiraz.  Wine and music mix well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about SD card?its probly not as fast but anyone tried it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ultimately RAMDisk is the ideal way going forward. Get your OS setup and optimised it to your liking. There on ward, you can load it into RAM at every start... Typically, I don’t turn off my control PC, as it serves my entire home for every platform/room..., via Roon. 
 

I have not being able to find a better file management audio software outside Roon.  

Edited by Chanh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


4 hours ago, frednork said:

What about SD card?its probly not as fast but anyone tried it?

I've a MiniPCIe MicroSD card adapter on the way.  I'll try it and report my findings.  The Intel 320 will be hard to beat but I'm trying all avenues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/02/2020 at 12:42 PM, cazzesman said:

Sorry but that price is embarrassing.     I am sure there are many posters on SNA who could build something similar for a 10th of the price.

 

$45,000 Aust for an audio PC is taking the P155.

Please compare this price to prices of MSB DACs and you will see that it is not embarrassing.

 

So far all failed to approach the SQ of the Taiko Extreme.

 

There is a thread about it here:

 

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/taiko-audio-sgm-extreme-the-crème-de-la-crème.27433/

 

A very good report about the Taiko Extreme is here:

 

https://www.monoandstereo.com/2020/02/taiko-audio-sgm-extreme-experience.html#more

 

Matt

Edited by matth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/02/2020 at 4:05 PM, matth said:

Please compare this price to prices of MSB DACs and you will see that it is not embarrassing.

 

So far all failed to approach the SQ of the Taiko Extreme.

 

There is a thread about it here:

 

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/taiko-audio-sgm-extreme-the-crème-de-la-crème.27433/

 

A very good report about the Taiko Extreme is here:

 

https://www.monoandstereo.com/2020/02/taiko-audio-sgm-extreme-experience.html#more

 

Matt

Matt,

 

Nice to see you on here.  I've no doubt these guys could build the hardware.  But in my view the software needed to maximise the SQ of that build would be the major challenge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, brhifi said:

Matt,

 

Nice to see you on here.  I've no doubt these guys could build the hardware.  But in my view the software needed to maximise the SQ of that build would be the major challenge.

 Brian, 

 

thanks, you too. I came to this forum because interested in DACs from Gieseler Audio.

 

If you look into the provided links you see that they spend "extreme" efforts to get the software right as well.

 

It is a combo of a special stripped Windows professional server version and JPlay. No Linux at all.

 

Best

 

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Classifieds Statistics


    Currently Active Ads

    Total Sales (Since 2018)

    Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

    Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...