Tasso

Building the ideal(ish) Music Server

3 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

Cheap thrills at our level @125dBmonster :D

Yea, you bet, ordered the PCIE express cap filter as well,,,,,,,,,,,,another cheap thrill $30

Must be the blue LED's :party

13 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

@acg Bloody hell! Keep us posted. I'd wanted to try Broadwell-DE; you're in a bigger universe altogether :P

Well I got one EP cpu for work...and the second only added a little bit more to the bill so I could not resist.

@acg

Actually has to get it going, how will the "passive cooling be applied to the processor" that is the tricky bit particularly if running at 150w

Another one, this is has an I7, SSD and 16G of RAM :partyhas a bit more stick for the 4K and Blu disks.

005.JPG

29 minutes ago, 125dBmonster said:

@acg

Actually has to get it going, how will the "passive cooling be applied to the processor" that is the tricky bit particularly if running at 150w

It will be severely under-clocked, somewhere in the 250-500MHz range and the whole PC will draw less than 50watts.  During music playback the cpu will probably end up drawing less than any Atom processor, plus it will be a relatively constant load (thanks to software) so current spikes caused by the cpu will have less of an effect on the sound, and it will have massive caches available to it to do the things it needs to do.

47 minutes ago, acg said:

It will be severely under-clocked, somewhere in the 250-500MHz range and the whole PC will draw less than 50watts.  During music playback the cpu will probably end up drawing less than any Atom processor, plus it will be a relatively constant load (thanks to software) so current spikes caused by the cpu will have less of an effect on the sound, and it will have massive caches available to it to do the things it needs to do.

I don't mean to have you spill your secret sauce, so answer 'not telling' if it suits, but...

...out of interest, how do you unlock your CPU multiplier?

1 hour ago, rmpfyf said:

I don't mean to have you spill your secret sauce, so answer 'not telling' if it suits, but...

...out of interest, how do you unlock your CPU multiplier?

I don't.  I set the cpu speed to the slowest ratio in the BIOS, which is 0.8 from memory (might be wrong), and XXHE does the rest.  The actual frequency is set in XXHE in the XTweaks section.  The lastest version of XXHE ramps up the CPU ratio when it is needed for the upsampling and digital filtering and then throttles it back for music playback.

7 minutes ago, acg said:

I don't.  I set the cpu speed to the slowest ratio in the BIOS, which is 0.8 from memory (might be wrong), and XXHE does the rest.  The actual frequency is set in XXHE in the XTweaks section.  The lastest version of XXHE ramps up the CPU ratio when it is needed for the upsampling and digital filtering and then throttles it back for music playback.

Daft question - how?

That the CPU can hit 800MHz off BIOS - check.

Going much below that needs an unlocked multiplier; K series CPUs can do this, didn't think it was possible on everything else. If it is, I'll bow to whomever can effect it. Any references you could pass on? I'm keen to hit 400MHz.

20 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

Daft question - how?

That the CPU can hit 800MHz off BIOS - check.

Going much below that needs an unlocked multiplier; K series CPUs can do this, didn't think it was possible on everything else. If it is, I'll bow to whomever can effect it. Any references you could pass on? I'm keen to hit 400MHz.

I have no references.  PeterSt who has developed XXHE has all those tricks.  Watch out though, when you underclock this much and turn off cores and whatever other tricks PeterSt does to lower the cpu consumption the PC can become so slow that it struggles to run the USB port...true...keeping a useable and responsivesystem is a very tough thing to do at those limits.  But it sounds great.

1 hour ago, acg said:

I have no references.  PeterSt who has developed XXHE has all those tricks.  Watch out though, when you underclock this much and turn off cores and whatever other tricks PeterSt does to lower the cpu consumption the PC can become so slow that it struggles to run the USB port...true...keeping a useable and responsivesystem is a very tough thing to do at those limits.  But it sounds great.

Sounds rather clever, love your work there.

Guys I want to ID the clock I should be replacing on my new motherboard.

For the record it's a GIGABYTE GA-H110M-S2H - aka an LGA1151 board with an H110 chipset. According to Paul Pang, that means I should need a 24MHZ clock. It doesn't hurt to double check though - I've not got it yet and this is the highest resolution image (attached) I can find on the web (I've highlighted the three potential clocks in red).

Untitled.jpg

Questions:

• Any ideas on which one I should be removing (if I were a betting man I'd say it's the one in the middle) and
  • what it should be replaced with (in terms of MHZ clock)

Edited by realysm42

Would bet the one on the right is PCH (24MHz)

The one in the middle is for the second USB controller (12MHz)

The one on the left is Ethernet (25MHz)

Would not get a Paul Pang, it's an expensive way to go about it. There's more than enough going between expertise here and Taobao for you to have a little fun and get your hands dirty (for less cash). 

The 24MHz is the one that counts assuming you're running a separate USB/I2S card.

@rmpfyf Thanks dude - 24MHZ it is then!

I'm not getting a Paul Pang card, I'll be sticking to what I know best - SOtM and will either fit it myself or get a buddy to do it for me :) 

I meant the motherboard clock - if you're updating the PCH clock, it's considerably cheaper to make it yourself.

IMHO it does sound better, just not USD$400 better.

On 9/27/2016 at 2:56 PM, acg said:

I am about to try Broadwell-EP, 20 cores, hyperthreaded to 40 cores, 50MB cache with X99 motherboard.  I have the parts here but have to find time to put it together and test it.

With your current experience. have you found cache size is a spec that just keeps giving or does it eventually plateau/begin to degrade sound?

Is the logic the less work the CPU has to do the better the sound?

50mb is nuts.

(my bank balance is fearful of the answer to this last question)