Sign in to follow this  
Tasso

Building the ideal(ish) Music Server

We've been down the Windows server/ optimiser route and haven't looked back since trying purpose built -for- Audio real time Linux kernels. Having said that, software players can have their own sonic flavour and personal preferences come into play here too.

When comparing JRiver on a Windows server /AO machine to JRiver on the experimental version of Linux we are using, ( soon to go public worldwide) the latter is markedly better IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Awesome - thanks Chanh,

Will certainly swing by - any rough idea of a date yet? The reason I ask about the audio OS is that I have just finished a new CAPS hardware server build today with a Geiseler PSU (Jetway NF9N-2930 with M2 SSD to eliminate SATA cables) and will be putting an OS on today. If your ubunutu based distro is even 50% there I would love to give it a crack but nay bother of not.

Do you think you will begin with A JS-2 for JDwest PSU or a full build from scratch?

P.S Have you found enabling Wifi to be an issue on the audio servers in terms of noise?

post-126491-0-12757500-1454458859_thumb.

Edited by thewaves

My initial build, the JD-DC1  :) , will be very different to Tasso's JS-2 hybrid.

I'm have sourced the caps, rectifier ...and acoustic chassis  :D  from Scandinavian companies and a Superpower regulator from the U.S.

Local artisan and hardware guru, @@Doncentric is assembling the architecture, then it is off to @@Chanh for wiring.

post-144082-0-69708200-1454477158_thumb.

post-144082-0-96592500-1454477165_thumb.

post-144082-0-05169800-1454477173_thumb.

My initial build, the JD-DC1 :) , will be very different to Tasso's JS-2 hybrid.

Looking fantastic JD!

@Doncentric's workmanship had always been no less than exceptional! One can only dreaming of his level of standards. I better be really extraordinary nice to him, as my DDDAC is lacking of momentum when others are speedy zoom zoom in front from behide!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Chanh

Stop it Guys!!! I will cry..!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@@Tasso  What about a water cooling system (aka radiator) to go with those superchargers  :D

post-144082-0-71393400-1454487511_thumb.

Chanh, even if DLNA server running elsewhere than on streaming machine (i.e. NAS) ? if yes I would be interested to try because bottleneck in my case is Minimserver running on NAS and consequently BubbleUPNP server required for OH media protocol also running on NAS, all of these causing inability for streamer OS to play native DSD as well PCM within same playlist, I was able to stream DSD via foobarUPNP running on lightweight win10 but only with local control, once I used Lumin app on iPad it stopped working, not sure if the issue is with latency, DLNA protocol itself or anything else but none of them including daphile, vortexbox nor arch Linux through LMS, MPD nor even Jplay on win10 could stream DSD in my setup, so far the only one was and is Jriver with DLNA streaming turned on and it plays flawlessly without any hiccups, delay in command request and gapless.