Tasso

Building the ideal(ish) Music Server

Sure, but his is smaller than your Tower of Copper there :)

Whats's the CPU?

The "late Starter" to this thread is one of 3 mother boards I picked up from Ebay this week, they are all ATX micros

2 are second hand, being delivered with RAM and CPU 2 core quad 3Gig, all 3 are Intel. The new one yet to be delivered  is the new ASUS B150M-A  which will be running the full ASUS 7.1 STX Xonar Sound card and daughter board and an Intel skylake 7I

All a bit of fun.

Power supply is a little different though.intending to run one of these Music Servers and it's monitor and LAN via DC/DC SMPS directly from a 24v battery backed with solar charging , New work PC on a remote site, stereo will be DC also. 

post-149865-0-15075200-1471732471_thumb.

Edited by Guest

49a0d910b6b92058db01a6507b698256.jpg

Tried a heap of capacitors before settling in the right combo

fbcf7b9ee13397863f070a60d0a969fb.jpg

I sent my Sotm PCI card to Korea for mods to accept their Superclock. Superclock is being placed inside a soundproof steel enclosure designed for HDD. This is to eliminate interference from vibration and RFI/EMI .

I also bypassed part input to Sotm card / Superclock - had s positive effect in lowering noise floor further

817ce74e7dcf175f103b6ab36e142f68.jpg

Superclock inside the case

8d5cdecbf6e7b0a5a159119896fe1435.jpg

Earthed all critical components to common point , then to external earth wire

15ef26426af0e7e2d1121e65fcf30e56.jpg

Heavy sound deadening material to reduce case vibrations. Also added RFI shielding at strategic points and TAOC footers to the sever. The results are impressive , the lowest noise levels I have experienced with CA together with high resolution and excellent timbre

b8261ab9e1eebf90c7a49bd5b26b8d89.jpg
0e3161cdf20072be456426170ca4fa02.jpg

I thought I had reached a pinnacle with the server and was quite satisfied and then thought I should try the Clones Audio
Shaar USB card. I then compared it to SOtm and IMO, we have a new winner. The Shaar USB simply sounds better in all critical areas IMO and is much cheaper as well.

many thanks for your observations/assessments @Tasso. So the Shaar is a way going forward with half the price of the Sotm PCIe?

I'd be interested in others views as well but with the setup I was using the sound was better for my tastes.

Edited by Tasso

Clones' music server seems pretty reasonable for the money too. Not too hard to hot-rod either.

I blame@Chanh for that. He observed that the Shaar consists of two separate boards, one for the clock and the other for the PSU. The SOTM superclock uses the same clock as the USB card but you end up with 2 boards like the Shaar. It appeared that the separation of the clock board from the rest of the module played a key role in improved SQ so it made us curious about the Shaar.

I haven't compared Shaar to SOTM + superclock however so can't comment on how that will go, but Superclock does lift SOTM USB performance significantly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

Clones' music server seems pretty reasonable for the money too. Not too hard to hot-rod either.

I have been in discussions with Joe, the owner of Clonesaudio. It was advised to me that all his products are hand made, hence will take sometime to acquire and delivery to his customer(s). His Host server is rather interesting, and we here have already tested the configurations. What amazed me was the price he is charging, it is not possible in Australia with our current wages. For the same server, it will cost double if build in Australia. Apparently our time here are worth 10x more expensive than the rest of the World.

13 minutes ago, Chanh said:

I have been in discussions with Joe, the owner of Clonesaudio. It was advised to me that all his products are hand made, hence will take sometime to acquire and delivery to his customer(s). His Host server is rather interesting, and we here have already tested the configurations. What amazed me was the price he is charging, it is not possible in Australia with our current wages. For the same server, it will cost double if build in Australia. Apparently our time here are worth 10x more expensive than the rest of the World.

Well... yeah. They mention handmade a lot on the website. It is a lot of work for a reasonable amount of money. Has everything most would want (I even like the CPU choice), it's nicely integrated, high WAF... would change a few things but not much. 

Hope they make it and that there's decent margin in their products and growth in their business.  

Wish 'em all the best. I can't afford a SoTM card, I can afford a SHAAR (and waiting is free).

21 minutes ago, Tasso said:

Shaar consists of two separate boards, one for the clock and the other for the PSU.

Out of interest - any idea what the clock frequencies on the SHAAR are?

Sorry I don't, I would need to open the module to see.

Sorry I don't, I would need to open the module to see.

I know! I have molested the card inside out!

edit

Edited by Tasso

I paid out Clones earlier for claiming the SHAAR was handmade. I presumed they had batches of surface mount PCB's done at a fab house, like every other manufacturer does.

Well mine did not work, and was found to have a missing solder joint. So it seems this handmade aspect is true!!