Building the ideal(ish) Music Server

Chanh have you been able to (network) stream DSD content within your OS? the only soft capable of streaming DSD in my case is Jriver, I wish vortexbox could do that as it's the best sounding OS I tried... the biggest trouble with those OSs is when DLNA server running elsewhere than actual streamer as well as control point being linked to that server instead of a streamer, could you try it on your version of OS?

Chanh have you been able to (network) stream DSD content within your OS? the only soft capable of streaming DSD in my case is Jriver, I wish vortexbox could do that as it's the best sounding OS I tried... the biggest trouble with those OSs is when DLNA server running elsewhere than actual streamer as well as control point being linked to that server instead of a streamer, could you try it on your version of OS?

Daniel,

This software is can both doing local storage or streaming from a NAS for both PCM and DSD. Wait..., the OS is even streaming too, if needs be!

Edit: in other word, you can boot OS/Player(s) and music Library from a NAS OR as local storage. Liked I said, this talented member currently exploit the option of playing from RAM without the need of PCM to DSD/Wave conversion like Daphile.

Edited by Chanh

I would be very glad to volunteer a test system in Perth if the need is there,

One question I should ask - has anyone in Perth done a head to head, vortexbox 2.4 against Audiophile Optimizer?

Another guinea pig here!

If not would love to hear it somewhere else sometime.

Guys, I am about to build @JDWest his, our own version of PSU. There will also be other variances available for listening opportunity. Currently, this JS-2/Hashys' appears to be most optimised! When JD's is done, may be you guys can drop by?

Edit: @@thewaves - I have never see the need to revisit Windows after Linux OS migration. If you search hard enough, you will see my post wrt it. I once had, dual pc setup with JPlay and WS2012 stripped down to bare bone beyond AO's capable and still found Linux Jriver sounds better out of the box. Actual fact, between Tasso and I have both AO and JPlay legal copy here! Nonetheless, one must do his journey to appreciate the ones gone before him with their input. :)

Vortexbox is a sonic level above Linux Jriver again. Having said that; these are my observations from my very own CA journey, they might not concur with others'. ;)

Edited by Chanh
  • Like 1

We've been down the Windows server/ optimiser route and haven't looked back since trying purpose built -for- Audio real time Linux kernels. Having said that, software players can have their own sonic flavour and personal preferences come into play here too.

When comparing JRiver on a Windows server /AO machine to JRiver on the experimental version of Linux we are using, ( soon to go public worldwide) the latter is markedly better IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Awesome - thanks Chanh,

Will certainly swing by - any rough idea of a date yet? The reason I ask about the audio OS is that I have just finished a new CAPS hardware server build today with a Geiseler PSU (Jetway NF9N-2930 with M2 SSD to eliminate SATA cables) and will be putting an OS on today. If your ubunutu based distro is even 50% there I would love to give it a crack but nay bother of not.

Do you think you will begin with A JS-2 for JDwest PSU or a full build from scratch?

P.S Have you found enabling Wifi to be an issue on the audio servers in terms of noise?

post-126491-0-12757500-1454458859_thumb.

Edited by thewaves
  • Like 2

My initial build, the JD-DC1  :) , will be very different to Tasso's JS-2 hybrid.

I'm have sourced the caps, rectifier ...and acoustic chassis  :D  from Scandinavian companies and a Superpower regulator from the U.S.

Local artisan and hardware guru, @@Doncentric is assembling the architecture, then it is off to @@Chanh for wiring.

post-144082-0-69708200-1454477158_thumb.

post-144082-0-96592500-1454477165_thumb.

post-144082-0-05169800-1454477173_thumb.

• Like 8

My initial build, the JD-DC1 :) , will be very different to Tasso's JS-2 hybrid.

Looking fantastic JD!

@Doncentric's workmanship had always been no less than exceptional! One can only dreaming of his level of standards. I better be really extraordinary nice to him, as my DDDAC is lacking of momentum when others are speedy zoom zoom in front from behide![emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Chanh

Chanh, even if DLNA server running elsewhere than on streaming machine (i.e. NAS) ? if yes I would be interested to try because bottleneck in my case is Minimserver running on NAS and consequently BubbleUPNP server required for OH media protocol also running on NAS, all of these causing inability for streamer OS to play native DSD as well PCM within same playlist, I was able to stream DSD via foobarUPNP running on lightweight win10 but only with local control, once I used Lumin app on iPad it stopped working, not sure if the issue is with latency, DLNA protocol itself or anything else but none of them including daphile, vortexbox nor arch Linux through LMS, MPD nor even Jplay on win10 could stream DSD in my setup, so far the only one was and is Jriver with DLNA streaming turned on and it plays flawlessly without any hiccups, delay in command request and gapless.  

My initial build, the JD-DC1  :) , will be very different to Tasso's JS-2 hybrid.

I'm have sourced the caps, rectifier ...and acoustic chassis  :D  from Scandinavian companies and a Superpower regulator from the U.S.

Local artisan and hardware guru, @@Doncentric is assembling the architecture, then it is off to @@Chanh for wiring.

That Sir is sensational...love the wood...

Looking fantastic JD!

@Doncentric's workmanship had always been no less than exceptional! One can only dreaming of his level of standards. I better be really extraordinary nice to him, as my DDDAC is lacking of momentum when others are speedy zoom zoom in front from behide![emoji4]

Yes, we need to do final touches to the DDDAC, that beast takes up too much space on the bench. I need the room !!!

• Like 1

Another setup....!

044ac6d70f2371af6123584d78da0d6e.jpg

c8fa14798c144b3019cbe03a43f5314c.jpg

58399d2fab3e88b2d9f18d19913f2f44.jpg

Edit: now that I had it in my setup, and the opportunity to familiar its sonic performance! I got to say; I now can appreciate the reasons as to Tasso is raving so much about this combo. Lighting fast transient bass and dynamic. Overall noticeable much bigger resolutions and sound stage.

Edited by Chanh
  • Like 2

Chanh's hifi cabinet

7e14de96d7fdf392ef605871d0b1cea0.jpg

I've been meaning to post details in the Wood thread - I'll do that later

Meant to post something about this but haven't yet got around to it. For the clarity, I am grateful surrounding by extremely generous audio-friends here. This cabinet was built by Tasso from scratch. He actually went out, hands sourcing the materials, logistically brought them home, hand made it from numerous hours of sanding, treating, re-surfacing/sanding back, and applied too many layer of finishes..!

Not forgetting, Doncentric and another audio mate, provided the logistic assistances to where it is now! [emoji56]

Thank You so much Gentlemen!!![emoji7]

Apologies for the side-track to all.

b3b5d8ad47f02637576b5536985e2b6d.jpg

495cf52890e9947410309989887b32fa.jpg

0e5959ba545ee361a7286af6afd19cb1.jpg

7ff4b7c6d13507af1c4714aaa1428f20.jpg

a85d426411ef70921e37af978b97d90f.jpg

6f76fbc5f3dac4797576d54f9343cf7c.jpg

760ceab914e2d23271f473de93dee56c.jpg

0a17139bc9cd10016fae42261676aaf7.jpg

ebb1c5e72690976919f7a21d1f6ecb13.jpg

45eb5ae0748559611bc00fdd1cd54b19.jpg

e2e81e5aceb7a9248e0cbc51422c6e3f.jpg

16050bf33b93632c01a4941fc1b17d65.jpg

59e447c44d42ebab895171eeb80cb6cb.jpg

ba863da4abd003d7dc143290d22f5d38.jpg

824ad877813ffbee30bdf81a4672fa64.jpg

Edit: Not until I have a proper audio rack, it didn't occur to me, a rigid rack does improve sound. [emoji23]

Cant Thank You enough Tasso!

Edited by Chanh
  • Like 9

The new rack looks great Chanh :thumb:.

You just need some S5s to go with the PSU now :party

Setup sounds adequate now @a.dent. No way near S5s, however, a new set of speakers remains under the radar.

May be we could have a gtg here if Tasso and You can put up with a substandard to yours? [emoji6]