Sign in to follow this  
JPete9

Cantilever/Stylus Replacement on MC Carts?

What is a reputable place to get broken cantilever/new stylus done?

I dont mind posting; of course i want the very best work, longest warranty and cheapest possible price...really i just want highly regarded expertise.

Thanks, next question. Is it worth getting Ortofon MC20 Super Re done - snapped/missing cantilever.

Ortofon Australia,(Speakerbits) will supply a changeover cartridge that is a  fully reconditioned replacement  manufactured to the original specification.You will have to supply your old cartridge and you have the advantage that a long service wait is not involved or an upfront quotation fee is requested.

Edited by VanArn

I have heard, from a close friend, that garrotts do exceptionally good work.

$300 is the repair cost. I am not sure if i would be over spending on this cart? I am also cautious about a non standard repair...is it likely to sound as good as new?

Ortofon Australia,(Speakerbits) will supply a changeover cartridge that is a  fully reconditioned replacement  manufactured to the original specification.You will have to supply your old cartridge and you have the advantage that a long service wait is not involved or an upfront quotation fee is requested.

His recommendation is upgrading, he recommends dont repair...

I had an MC20 Mk1 retipped by Garrotts a few years ago and they did an excellent job.  The sound was equally as good as the original.

Not sure if you have broken this or are contemplating adding it to your system.  If so, bear in mind it is low output and low impedence (I think around 3 ohms) and so you would have to find a suitable SUT (about 30dB of gain) or phono amp.

If the advice from Ortofon Australia is to upgrade i.e. via the changeover / trade-in program that they offer;then I would compare that cost with that of a re-tipping service.The locating / damping  mechanism of the moving coil assembly needs to be in top working order and there has to be  a sufficient piece of the old broken cantilever left on to which a replacement can be attached,for a retipping service to be successful.

I believe Garrott can rebuild as I have been in touch with them for a retip and cantilever replacement and they have replied saying that usually there is just more than a retip and cantilever swap if the cantilever is broken ie internal damage to the suspension, also bear in mind that they offer different cantilevers too.

I had an MC20 Mk1 retipped by Garrotts a few years ago and they did an excellent job.  The sound was equally as good as the original.

Not sure if you have broken this or are contemplating adding it to your system.  If so, bear in mind it is low output and low impedence (I think around 3 ohms) and so you would have to find a suitable SUT (about 30dB of gain) or phono amp.

Thanks, are you sure this applies to the MC 20 Super? http://ortofon.com/hifi/products/historical-products/ortofon-mc-20-super-reintroduction

I have MC Phono on my Yamaha CR1040 - i found the following spec.

Inp. Sensitivity Phono MC: 0.1 mV

Inp. Impedance Phono MC: 50 kΩ

Signal/Noise Phono MC: 85 db

Does this add up to compatibility?

I have acquired one as part of a headshell purchase. Apparently low hours, snapped off cantilever. Phillipe from Garrot says he can repair to better than new for 380 or improved for more. 380 is my limit, but i dont want to spend that and then find i need SUT etc. I would rather can this and buy something that will work for sure.

Edited by JPete9

If you have an MC phono input then you can us  that. You would only need a SUT if you were using a moving magnet input.

I just sent my Rondo Blue to Soundsmith.

Cost $150 USD for a basic alloy cantilever and nude elliptical tip.

Cost $22 AUD to send it there registered.

It cost about $33 USD 

The process takes 8-10 weeks.

So all up about $260 AU.

Not sure what the phono stage is like on your Yamaha, but a good matching phono stage and or step up transformer can make a big difference.

Edited by awty

Its not easy to decide, i could get many other carts new for $400 and this one isnt made or even highly available anymore. Not sure if its worth the effort. Does anyone know much about these carts?

So far the responses i have are.

Speakerbit - suggest $1100 upgrade after trade in to another cart.

Thomas Schick - $400 + shipping, but no outside of EU repairs

Garrot - $380 - this would be an upgrade to original quality. Further upgrade available.

I'll look into sound smith a bit more.

Edited by JPete9

Speaker bits were selling NOS mc 10 supers for less than $250 recently and I picked one up. They are OK for the money, I wouldnt bother retipping it. Rondo Blue is much more worthy.

Really if you want to spend big on a cartridge then it would pay to have a decent TT/phono stage/system in general to get the best out of it.

So yes plenty of nice carts can be bought for $400 new.

John's hifi exchange site lists the mc10 supreme, has a couple of new (not nos, recent manufacture) ones for 260 i think. Picked mine up from speakerbits about a year ago for 215 and very pleased with it. Does emphasise the highs just a touch imo, but is a very pleasing listen indeed.

thanks. I dont really want to spend big on the cart at all. 380 is making me gag to be honest :) I am not sure I will bother.

A replacement MM type  cartridge such as  found  with the various Ortofon or Audio Technica  models may be a better choice in your position.Most of us have  vinyl record collections that because of age,wear and tear,find that there is no benefit of an ultimate cartridge for general listening.If you have or buy  new  records of the top dollar variety and are a fastidious listener to boot , then you might consider spending more.I would consider,if it is affordable within your budget, a cartridge  with an extended  profile  stylus such as the Shibata type as these result in improved tracking and less noise with older vinyl and do tend last longer than  the elliptical  types as well.

Thanks, thats what i have been thinking. I will just buy new up to my max and stop agonising. To be honest, i am pretty satisfied with what i have (AT95E) but i will buy something just a litle better to compare (AT150mlx maybe) i only pursued this Ortofon cos it came with a headshell wanted...its going on ebay tonight.

My ortofon MC quintet black cantilever/ stylus snapped

Recently. Does anyone know here for replacement/repair

any recommendations. I rang up Garrott Brothers they were

Asking $450 for replacement, but I am not sure if it is

orginal from ortofon or just they manufactured their own

Stylus.

Just had my Ortofon MC cantilever replaced through Garrott (Audiodynamics).  Excellent job and sounds better than the original Ortofon cantilever. And cost only $225 including new cantilever, reattaching the fine line diamond (as it was near new) and shipping. Took 3 weeks turnaround. Very happy. 

I have used the Garrott Brothers /Audiodynamics several times. Always great service and great results.