KLEIN DAC (AKM) 2015 OFFICAL RELEASE

Hi Matt,

Wow - should be a awesome combination. I was going to do a prototype board using the AK4137 but I think I will just wait for the new combo unit - with the DAC & SRC in the same chip digital signal lines will be very short & way less board populating for me. The AK4137 has a good bypass feature too so in that mode it should very transparent when say feeding in DSD 256.

I will definately get a sample order in today - can't wait.

I might do a USB only version DAC as well so I2S lines will very short & wiring minimal.

• Like 5

Hi Matt,

Wow - should be a awesome combination. I was going to do a prototype board using the AK4137 but I think I will just wait for the new combo unit - with the DAC & SRC in the same chip digital signal lines will be very short & way less board populating for me. The AK4137 has a good bypass feature too so in that mode it should very transparent when say feeding in DSD 256.

I will definately get a sample order in today - can't wait.

I might do a USB only version DAC as well so I2S lines will very short & wiring minimal.

Hi Clay,

I found the data sheet in japanese/english:

http://www.akm.com/akm/jp/file/datasheet/AK4497EQ.pdf

It does support DSD512, wow, and there is a direct path for DSD like AK4490.

I like your plan to do a USB only version.

Matt

• Like 1

I have been in touch with AKM regarding samples of the AK4497. They are going to send me some but said they will not be available until the second or third quarter this year. However the AK4137 is available so I will have some of them shortly.

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 4

I have been in touch with AKM regarding samples of the AK4497. They are going to send me some but said they will not be available until the second or third quarter this year. However the AK4137 is available so I will have some of them shortly.

It would be nice to check the AK4137 with AK4490 first and depending on the results to go later for an AK4137/AK4497 combo or AK4497 alone.

Matt

My thoughts exactly Matt so that is probably what I will do. I will definately produce a DAC using the AK4497 but it looks proper production won't start until the end of the year.

Thanks Clay,

I think the AK4497 will be worth the wait.

Matt

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Clay,

I have a question regarding the power supply of the USB section of the DAC. I am sure it is adressed elsewhere, but I can not find it at the moment.

Does the Klein DAC need the 5V from the USB cable or is the USB section powered by the DAC PS?

Thanks.

Matt

Hi Clay,

I have a question regarding the power supply of the USB section of the DAC. I am sure it is adressed elsewhere, but I can not find it at the moment.

Does the Klein DAC need the 5V from the USB cable or is the USB section powered by the DAC PS?

Thanks.

Matt

She's powered by a dedicated supply within the DAC itself - the Amanero doesn't receive +5V DC from the source to which it is connected :)

• Like 3