Citroen

Blues Currently Spinning

Debut album by British blues band The Groundhogs - Scratching The Surface (1968).

R-3229482-1440424802-3839.jpeg.jpg

My copy is a 2006 CD remastered from the original tapes (same cover photo but without the text).

Somehow I seem to have largely missed this band, but they have been around in one form or another from 1963 pretty much up to the present day. They took their name from a John Lee Hooker song, and toured with him when he toured the UK in the mid 60s. Apparently he was impressed with them, and recorded an album with them in 1964 ("... and seven nights" re-released as "Hooker and the Hogs").

This line up consists of Tony McPhee - guitar and vocals, Steve Rye - harmonica and vocals, Pete Cruikshank - bass and Ken Pustelnik - drums. Their sound is very reminiscent of early Fleetwood Mac, maybe with a bit of Canned Heat thrown in. Apparently Tony McPhee turned down an offer from Peter Green to join Fleetwood Mac, and also declined an offer to join John Mayall's Bluesbreakers after the departure of Eric Clapton (what was he thinking?)

This is quite a raw, no frills, down to earth album, recorded in two four hour sessions in October 1968, and it sounds great.

15 hours ago, emesbee said:

Debut album by British blues band The Groundhogs - Scratching The Surface (1968).

My copy is a 2006 CD remastered from the original tapes (same cover photo but without the text).

Somehow I seem to have largely missed this band, but they have been around in one form or another from 1963 pretty much up to the present day. They took their name from a John Lee Hooker song, and toured with him when he toured the UK in the mid 60s. Apparently he was impressed with them, and recorded an album with them in 1964 ("... and seven nights" re-released as "Hooker and the Hogs").

This line up consists of Tony McPhee - guitar and vocals, Steve Rye - harmonica and vocals, Pete Cruikshank - bass and Ken Pustelnik - drums. Their sound is very reminiscent of early Fleetwood Mac, maybe with a bit of Canned Heat thrown in. Apparently Tony McPhee turned down an offer from Peter Green to join Fleetwood Mac, and also declined an offer to join John Mayall's Bluesbreakers after the departure of Eric Clapton (what was he thinking?)

This is quite a raw, no frills, down to earth album, recorded in two four hour sessions in October 1968, and it sounds great.

Who will save the world? The Mighty Groundhogs. ;)

On 22/07/2020 at 11:03 PM, emesbee said:

Crosscut Saw is also a great album.

images (6).jpeg

Peter Green & The Original Fleetwood Mac- Alone With The Blues.

80960138_images(6).jpeg.0d809e1b8907f7f2bad4f3385617b891.jpeg

Thanks for the buzz. R.I.P Peter Green.

Doug MacLeod- Dubb

84008645_images(5).jpeg.fc1b5675eb7e58884744d3a2e222eeff.jpeg

This has been sitting in my Discogs wishlist for quite some time. Popped up in Oz the other day, thank you very much.

R-7805746-1449158578-6982.jpeg.jpg

R-15409840-1591082939-7361.jpeg.jpg

R-3140460-1436429464-7780.jpeg.jpg