Blues Currently Spinning

Debut album by British blues band The Groundhogs - Scratching The Surface (1968).

R-3229482-1440424802-3839.jpeg.jpg

My copy is a 2006 CD remastered from the original tapes (same cover photo but without the text).

Somehow I seem to have largely missed this band, but they have been around in one form or another from 1963 pretty much up to the present day. They took their name from a John Lee Hooker song, and toured with him when he toured the UK in the mid 60s. Apparently he was impressed with them, and recorded an album with them in 1964 ("... and seven nights" re-released as "Hooker and the Hogs").

This line up consists of Tony McPhee - guitar and vocals, Steve Rye - harmonica and vocals, Pete Cruikshank - bass and Ken Pustelnik - drums. Their sound is very reminiscent of early Fleetwood Mac, maybe with a bit of Canned Heat thrown in. Apparently Tony McPhee turned down an offer from Peter Green to join Fleetwood Mac, and also declined an offer to join John Mayall's Bluesbreakers after the departure of Eric Clapton (what was he thinking?)

This is quite a raw, no frills, down to earth album, recorded in two four hour sessions in October 1968, and it sounds great.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, emesbee said:

Debut album by British blues band The Groundhogs - Scratching The Surface (1968).

R-3229482-1440424802-3839.jpeg.jpg

My copy is a 2006 CD remastered from the original tapes (same cover photo but without the text).

Somehow I seem to have largely missed this band, but they have been around in one form or another from 1963 pretty much up to the present day. They took their name from a John Lee Hooker song, and toured with him when he toured the UK in the mid 60s. Apparently he was impressed with them, and recorded an album with them in 1964 ("... and seven nights" re-released as "Hooker and the Hogs").

This line up consists of Tony McPhee - guitar and vocals, Steve Rye - harmonica and vocals, Pete Cruikshank - bass and Ken Pustelnik - drums. Their sound is very reminiscent of early Fleetwood Mac, maybe with a bit of Canned Heat thrown in. Apparently Tony McPhee turned down an offer from Peter Green to join Fleetwood Mac, and also declined an offer to join John Mayall's Bluesbreakers after the departure of Eric Clapton (what was he thinking?)

This is quite a raw, no frills, down to earth album, recorded in two four hour sessions in October 1968, and it sounds great.

Who will save the world? The Mighty Groundhogs. ;)

• Like 1

Guest deanB

Doug MacLeod- Dubb

84008645_images(5).jpeg.fc1b5675eb7e58884744d3a2e222eeff.jpeg

This has been sitting in my Discogs wishlist for quite some time. Popped up for sale in Oz the other day, thank you very much.

Edited by deanB

Guest deanB
39 minutes ago, ollie_08 said:

Miss the great man was enormous over the years in the Melbourne live music scene ?

Chris' music is all new to me Ollie. Warms my heart to hear you speaking so fondly of.

Roy Buchanan- That's What I Am Here For

557286702_images(4).jpeg.b7b0a2170306b0e0374fd7bc96dffac9.jpeg

15 minutes ago, deanB said:

Chris' music is all new to me Ollie. Warms my heart to hear you speaking so fondly of.

Roy Buchanan- That's What I Am Here For

557286702_images(4).jpeg.b7b0a2170306b0e0374fd7bc96dffac9.jpeg

Hey Dean get hold of "Live At the Continental" captures Chris in arguably his best live performance. Funny you put up Roy i saw him live at the Pier Hotel in Frankston, wow another level!!! 

Chris Wilson - Live At The Continental (1994, CD) | Discogs

3 minutes ago, ollie_08 said:

Hey Dean get hold of "Live At the Continental" captures Chris in arguably his best live performance. Funny you put up Roy i saw him live at the Pier Hotel in Frankston, wow another level!!! 

The old pier in Frankston

brings back memories in the back of the divvy van on a satdy night.

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, Fordute said:

The old pier in Frankston

brings back memories in the back of the divvy van on a satdy night.

Haha yeah you hadn't lived if you hadn't been thrown down the stairs of the Pier to picked up by the divvy, good times? 

Guest deanB
1 hour ago, ollie_08 said:

Rest easy Ollie. Live At The Continental has been bought and paid for.