Blues Currently Spinning

Taj Mahal - The Hidden Treasures of Taj Mahal 1969-1973 (Columbia ‎– 88765494151, Legacy ‎– 88765494151, 2 × Vinyl, LP 2013)

Rag bag collection of previously unreleased outtakes, and a second live disc.

LP1 is patchy at best. LP2 is where the real treasure lies.

post-138459-0-90942700-1440156790_thumb.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I just played the new Buddy Guy album, 'Born To Play Guitar'

buddy_guy_born_to_play_guitar.jpg

Well, I've got to hand it to Buddy Guy, at 79 he can still deliver the goods. I reckon this album is as good as anything he has done in recent years. There are a few guests appearing on this album on various tracks, including Billy Gibbons (from ZZ Top), Joss Stone, Kim Wilson (from the Fabulous Thunderbirds) and Van Morrison. Kim Wilson plays harmonica on 2 tracks, and Van Morrison joins Buddy for a song dedicated to B.B. King. I also notice Doyle Bramhall's name in the credits, and there is a horn section on a couple of tracks.

There is a good range of material on this album, with sufficient variety to maintain interest. Nothing wrong with the tracks featuring the guest performers, but my personal preference leans towards the tracks which just feature Buddy Guy and his band.

Production is first class. Its a very nice, clean sounding recording with good dynamics. Buddy Guy's voice is fairly forward in the mix, and he sounds great. The band is very good too, and provide excellent backing.

Here are a couple of my favourite tracks from the album.

'Whiskey, Beer & Wine'. I really like the slightly grungy sounding bass line in this.

And the final track on the album, 'Come Back Muddy'. A rather nice acoustic number, a reminiscence/lament for Muddy Waters. Its probably the track which best demonstrates the good production quality of this album. Quite a nice way to round things off.

• Like 5

I was listening to The Blues Show on the radio earlier this evening (in the car, outside the laundromat while waiting for the drier to finish its cycle  :rolleyes: ). They were playing mostly old recordings from the 50s, with a few even going back to the 40s and 30s). A lot of it was from old 78s, very crackly sounding. One that caught my attention was a 1954 recording by James Cotton (not so crackly). Unfortunately I didn't catch the title, so went looking on youtube. I think this might be the one.

I also came across this. The distorted guitar sound on this seems rather ahead of its time, for 1954.

Great stuff!

Edited by emesbee
  • Like 1

Picked this up the other day.

51wgeutw9EL.jpg

A 2005 CD reissue of B.B. King's first album, which was essentially a compilation of his early single releases, recorded between 1951 and 1957. The original album was released in 1957 and contained 12 tracks. This CD reissue contains an additional 8 tracks that were recorded over the same time period, some of them previously unreleased takes.

Listening to this, its obvious that the distinctive B.B. King sound was there right from the start. Its quite a good selection, includes 'Every Day I have The Blues', a song which was a feature of his live performances over the years.

Sound quality is not too bad, given the age of the material. Dynamics are a bit flat overall, but the recordings are quite clean sounding. There is some variation in the sound from track to track, but that is not really surprising given that they were recorded over a number of years.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Spinning Earl Hooker and Junior Wells two of the great Chicago blues men

Hooker on slide

Never paid enough attention to Earl - john lee's cousin- described a a guitarist's guitarist.

Wells sings harder edged than say his Buddy Guy sessions.

Edit major factual blue that I had to hide

Edited by djb
  • Like 1

Really enjoying Lonesome Road Blues by Frank Hovington at the moment. Country blues recorded at his home in Delaware in 1975 using the Library of Congress tape recorder. Recently found a copy on Rounder Records released in 1979 that sounds great, particularly considering the recording environment etc.

R-3646703-1338734281-2748.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been really digging the new Gary Clarke Jr record. Sounds great on vinyl and has one of those awesome, unforgettable covers that can only ever really be appreciated on vinyl cover art.

Great artist with a fresh new take on the blues, fusing various genres to create his sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I enjoy "Down where the spirit meets the bone".

Are you going to her concert?

no - a bit of a mission from chch. and besides i wasn't even aware she was coming. sounds like a great gig - i like "intimate" venues/performances. you?

no - a bit of a mission from chch. and besides i wasn't even aware she was coming. sounds like a great gig - i like "intimate" venues/performances. you?

Didn't know you where in Quake City.

Only recently found out too, and thought it odd that Vector was chosen. But apparently its the reduced, more intimate stage used.

Truth be told, not really enough of a fan to fork out the admission price, tight arse that I am! ;)

• Like 1

dr_carl, on 15 Nov 2015 - 5:55 PM, said:

my list - no priority here

Mississippi fred mcdowell - shake em on down, momma don't allow, john henry

bukka white - fixin to die blues, special streamline

blind willie johnson - nobody's fault but mine, cold is the ground, dark is the night

john mayall - oh pretty woman

skip james - devil got may woman, hard time killing floor blues

the white stripes - ball and biscuit

elmore james - the sky is crying

howling wolf - little red rooster

jeff beck - rollin' and tumblin (studio version but live at Ronnie Scott's is awesome too)

cream - born under a bad sign

Mississippi john hurt - spike driver, stag o lee

The rolling stones - parachute woman, midnight rambler

john lee hooker - boogie chillun, hobo blues

seasick steve - St. Louis Slim, I started out with nothing and I still got most of it left (possibly best song title of all time)

rev, gary davis - sampson and delilah

thanks for reading...

Blind Willie Johnson - Collection cd

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...