New to reel to reel, looking for advice

Hi guys, 

My dad left me a lot of HiFi gear including the following decks:

Teac X-7R
Revox A-77 mk 1v
Tascam 52
Akai GX-650D

I dont know why he needed 5 reel to reel decks (also a teac deck which dads partner is keeping) but I now have 4 of the 5 

I have decided to keep one of the decks and sell three of them. This is not a for sale thread. I am looking for advice from knowledgeable people about which deck I would be best to keep given that I

a:- dont know very much about them
b:- will have to learn how to use one again, (I had one when I was 15, now 42)
c:- I cant really do any repairs of them and 
d:- I am into Hi Fi sound and will record from my records onto tape.

The revox has an ir remote and sensor all the others are manual.

I also have many tapes to choose from , some small diameter and some large. Also there are many different brands of blank tape plus quite a few prerecorded, I really have no clue about what is a good blank tape or a bad tape lol

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Chris

Hi Chris,

All the ones you have inherited are very good.  The first thing I would do is to clean the heads with some denatured alcohol cleaner with a cotton ud.  Then next thing to do is to obtain a head demagnetiser (try eBay)  and damage each head on each machine - then try out the same tape on each machine to decide which one you prefer sonically.  I personally have a very soft spot for Akai gear - all their the motor machines and 3 head units were the bees knees and lasted for decades.  The 650D had the glass-cryptal hardened heads which would last quite well.  IF you have a magnifying glass check the heads on each machine for wear (usually a flat spot around the recording and playback centres.  The one with the least should be okay.  

I used to own an M10 (and miss it)  one of the earliest auto reverse players.  My current deck is an Akai GX-77 6 head 3 motor deck which is just great.  You can get new tape from the following place:

http://www.rmgi.com.au/default.htm

They have a price list and you can order from them - RMG purchased all of BASF machinery and tech decades ago and now are probably one of the very few audio tape manufacturers left.  The tapes are around $20-$60 a pop.  Try to avoid using old tape as the ferric oxide usually lifts off and sticks to the heads  if these haven't been played for a long time.  It is always advisable to fastforward and reverse a tape at least once a month to keep the backing tension.  Something one of the Akai engineers recommended in the '70s.

I use mine for the same purpose as you do and to also record from ABC FM when they have a good concert on.

Great fun and the dynamic range leaves most of the other digital stuff for dead.  I hope you have good amps and speakers.

Cheers

Bill   :cool:

• Like 1

Thanks billyboyrm and soundfan.

I also made thread on tapeheads. Lots of good advice both here and there.

All very appreciated. Thanks for the heads up re tapes Bill. I have some new in pack tapes already and many others that my dad recorded. 

Cheers