Sign in to follow this  
Full Range

Garrard 401 Rebuild For the 22nd Century

Hi all

Thought it would be a good time to post a record of my Garrard 401 referbishment to still be viable in the 22nd Century

From the beginning I had my mind set on certain aspects I wanted to be included, and I also wanted a sim pathetic refurb on the turntable itself as not to alter the original look and build wherever possible

So the first thing on the list was a beautiful and audio worthy plank of wood to be used as a plinth

This search took a while by visiting and investigating local timber merchants available stock

In the end I found some Crows Ash, the timber merchant explained to me that it's a soapy wood that needs patience to work with it but will be rewarding in the end

A quick point is that when sanding or drilling, this timber smells like tomato sauce :)

Some information I found on Crows Ash

Crow’s ash is predominately used for flooring and decking. It is also used for boat building and outdoor furniture. In times gone by it was used as flooring for dance halls due to its highly durable characteristics.

While it is visually appealing, this species is not easy to work with, which limits the applications it can be used for. Crow’s ash is quite greasy which means it is hard to glue and nail

---------------------

At the time I purchased the Crows Ash and just prior to commencing the project in 2011 I had some health issues that required hospitalisation and although I built a few sets of speakers while mending, the Garrard TT project was shelved and put on hold for some time

The time came to get a start again on the build

Although the plinth was CNC cut and also routed so the Garrad body casing would sit lower shortly after it was purchased it was patiently waiting for me to give it some attention

post-112724-0-31003500-1430715041_thumb.post-112724-0-54569600-1430715054_thumb.post-112724-0-56069400-1430715092_thumb.post-112724-0-66548300-1430715107_thumb.

Edited by Full Range

So while I was busily sanding and drilling I started the search for a tone arm ( more on that later )

Slowly coming together

Cutec 50 Treatment

Mounting holes

Feet insert thread nuts fitted

post-112724-0-53633100-1430715651_thumb.post-112724-0-67797700-1430715669_thumb.post-112724-0-22566700-1430715709_thumb.post-112724-0-69509400-1430715740_thumb.

Tone arm outrigger fitted - what I used is two skeleton frames that are used in remote cars ( RC )

post-112724-0-76489800-1430716309_thumb.post-112724-0-72800200-1430716345_thumb.post-112724-0-62140700-1430716376_thumb.

Electrics fitted and filtering IEC plug

post-112724-0-94232000-1430716512_thumb.post-112724-0-59734600-1430716536_thumb.

Edited by Full Range

As I noted above I was on the lookout for a tone arm

I found it at TransFi Audio England

A terminator T3 Pro air bearing tangential tone arm with a Tomahawk Wand

Order placed and requested all silver wiring loom

Also ordered TransFi a set of alloy / brass cone feet ( more on that later )

These photos are from TransFi

post-112724-0-26591800-1430717118_thumb.post-112724-0-52180100-1430717072_thumb.

Time came to fit the tone arm with precision

post-112724-0-75111400-1430717346_thumb.post-112724-0-41673800-1430717375_thumb.post-112724-0-21803100-1430717389_thumb.post-112724-0-06389400-1430717414_thumb.post-112724-0-25715100-1430717435_thumb.

And the cone feet are ready to be fitted to the plinth

post-112724-0-88380600-1430717557_thumb.post-112724-0-22680700-1430717577_thumb.post-112724-0-95233900-1430717608_thumb.post-112724-0-42058400-1430717633_thumb.

Very nice work. Looking forward to further instalments.

Now that the plinth is finished I got started on the Garrard Transcriptor itself

First I made sure that everything was clean ( a note of caution here be careful with the plated linkages and wash hands after touching them or any skin contact )

I am a real DIYer when it comes to doing things with my hands

First task after cleaning was to remove, clean and re-lubricate the bearing on the electric drive motor

post-112724-0-83495400-1430718437_thumb.post-112724-0-45643000-1430718456_thumb.

Second task was to refurbish the magnetic brake and drive pulley

post-112724-0-16967800-1430718524_thumb.

Edited by Full Range

Then on to the bearing itself

I made by hand a thicker thrust bearing end plate out of hi strength alloy so the materials match the housing and body of the 401

Afterwards I fitted a new ball bearing shape bearing I had purchased and filed with oil after assembly

post-112724-0-80992800-1430718983_thumb.post-112724-0-38593200-1430719004_thumb.post-112724-0-04902800-1430719025_thumb.

Edited by Full Range

A new original face plate and new knob inserts also fitted

post-112724-0-00142400-1430719154_thumb.post-112724-0-52305800-1430719189_thumb.

I also treated the underside of the

1) platter

2) bearing end plate

3) cone discs

with a secret method - sorry my lips are sealed

post-112724-0-25712600-1430719485_thumb.

And this is what it looks like when everything is attached

post-112724-0-43425000-1430719576_thumb.post-112724-0-79611200-1430719640_thumb.post-112724-0-79149700-1430719663_thumb.

Latest news is after a month long testing phase

I have decided to use my Stanton 681 EEE fitted with a Jico Shibata cut stylus

Added custom made lightweight interconnect wire fitted with KLEI copper bullets

I will take some photos of these and add them later including the testing of some carts that were kindly loaned to me to try by @@Telecine

Looking forward to watching this develop...love that linear track over the Garrard...

Nice journal of the rebuild Paul, great pictures, passion and skill.

That's v nice work Full Range.

I have a Terminator tonearm myself & you may wish to consider Victor's Transfi Salvation magnetic levitation support feet for his Salvation TT.

I have  bought these for my Salvation TT, but have not found time yet to install / trial.....

post-131486-0-42872500-1430785207_thumb.

Keep us posted on sonic results of the terminator-401.

If interested, you'll find a bit on my Terminator & the magnetic platter bearing Salvation TT on my little blog page....

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

Thanks @@Owen Y

At the time I placed the order the maglev were not available, I may consider them in the future

However I have utilised some exotic and now very rare tuning feet made by a reclusive designer, made similar to the Harmonix TU-666S but improved

They are an absorption constrained layer technology type that release energy as heat, and can also be turned 360 degrees for a different absorbtion rate for fine tweaking or to get a different tone

Unlike most metallic feet these add a touch of warmth

post-112724-0-84158600-1430791072_thumb.

They are an absorption constrained layer technology type that release energy as heat, and can also be turned 360 degrees for a different absorbtion rate for fine tweaking or to get a different tone

Unlike most metallic feet these add a touch of warmth

That's seldom a bad thing  ;-)

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

Ok! what happened to my post .

I think I was the first to post yesterday complementing the build and asking a couple of questions , but it's disappeared

Anyways, a great thread and a thorough job. I wish I had the patience to re-do all that work..

Ok! what happened to my post .

I think I was the first to post yesterday complementing the build and asking a couple of questions , but it's disappeared

Anyways, a great thread and a thorough job. I wish I had the patience to re-do all that work..

So @@Grumpy what are your questions mate ? - & thanks for the compliment

Great build, FR but:

• it's actually currently the 21st C ;)
  • and I suspect solid-wood plinths are so "20th C"! :D

For the 21st C, I think a plinth made from a solid (suitably routed out) block of 'BooPly' (bamboo plywood) is appropriate.

Regards,

Andy

Great build, FR but:

• it's actually currently the 21st C ;)
  • and I suspect solid-wood plinths are so "20th C"! :D
For the 21st C, I think a plinth made from a solid (suitably routed out) block of 'BooPly' (bamboo plywood) is appropriate.

Regards,

Andy

I recon that the build quality of this TT will last, and still be operational in the 22nd century @@andyr

It's built like a tank

Absolutely it will last that long, FR (and sorry I didn't pick up on your use of "22C").

But Booply is the material of today, I'm suggesting. ;)

Andy

Absolutely it will last that long, FR (and sorry I didn't pick up on your use of "22C").

But Booply is the material of today, I'm suggesting. ;)

Andy

I should also mention as I forgot to add it earlier @@andyr

A unique product that was given to me to try by a very smart chemical engineer

The liquid he gave me was an exelerated petrifying agent for wood/timber - and I applied it 10 times in one month intervals ( this was while the project was in limbo )

I will be dead by the time it petrifies but it's good to know that it will petrify sometime in the future ;)

I should also mention as I forgot to add it earlier @@andyr

A unique product that was given to me to try by a very smart chemical engineer

The liquid he gave me was an exelerated petrifying agent for wood/timber - and I applied it 10 times in one month intervals ( this was while the project was in limbo )

I will be dead by the time it petrifies but it's good to know that it will petrify sometime in the future ;)

Very interesting stuff, FR.  Though I'm interested to know why it would do good things for a plinth?

Have you come across "Panzerholz"?

Andy