Combined Music / Cinema Room

3 hours ago, Marc said:

Took your advice.

Bit more advice...

If you want to sit back and hear what subs can really do, maybe purchase a copy of this as well.  

Disclaimer - Your neighbours may hate you.

632d6b534130f4ba878c54a2b28029b7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

The old rack and cabinet at the rear of the room was a mess and way too small. Nearing completion now!

A slide out and pivoting rack now loaded with enough room to get in and perform maintenance and changes where necessary.  

BFC60D59-145A-4196-8B46-F257BD427B45.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Marc said:

The old rack and cabinet at the rear of the room was a mess and way too small. Nearing completion now!

A slide out and pivoting rack now loaded with enough room to get in and perform maintenance and changes where necessary.  

BFC60D59-145A-4196-8B46-F257BD427B45.jpeg

I'm guessing that's a custom piece of racking Marc? Maintenance and changes are the bane of my audio life.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Thanks @wikeeboy - I continue to be impressed and find myself venturing across more music genres and discoveries.

Beyond that, the cinema itself gets so much use as for movies as well so all in all, a popular room in the home.

@Clarity Calibration finally got here and calibrated the projector with the Lumagen and the little 270ES is doing its thing nicely. It was also nice to get someone else around to hear the finished room too!

• Like 1

Awesome Room... and equipment... Im on a similiar journey with a combo audio/video/office room.. still along way off from yours though!

I have a trapdoor staircase to relocate, a balcony to enclose and extend into and a heap of other changes.. Lived with it like this for 5 years mind you! :)

In-wall speaker finished!

In-wall speaker back together!

Edited by Hilton
  • Like 1

Just read this whole thread this evening - an amazing journey, Marc - love what you have done. The investment in this hobby (If you are a perfectionist) can be significant - and balancing this with our obligations as husbands and fathers can be tough. So the fact that the whole family can enjoy this set-up is golden. Even more so given the situation in Vic. this year. Funnily enough - I started my journey with the original Meridian DSP8000's. I adored them - looked stunning - and a soundstage I can still hear in my head. Trifield with centres and surrounds was simply sorcery. At the time I didn't want to tinker - and aesthetics ruled. But I still miss them... 

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

It was always a compromise to do 2-ch and AV in the same room with shared components. I knew that and accepted that early on in the design process. It suited my (and the family's) needs at the time. 

With the room almost exclusively used for cinema these days though, it's time to go nuts.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Marc said:

With the room almost exclusively used for cinema these days though, it's time to go nuts.

“Time to go nuts”...he says, ....JC and crackers,...the mind boggles !

1 hour ago, Marc said:

It was always a compromise to do 2-ch and AV in the same room with shared components. I knew that and accepted that early on in the design process. It suited my (and the family's) needs at the time. 

Gotcha, now that sounds exciting!

Have you got a plan to feed the 2ch bug too or has that wavered?

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Have you got a plan to feed the 2ch bug too or has that wavered?

I still love hi-fi, but your priorities change at various stages of your life. Right now, with two young kids old enough to command most of my non-working (or sleeping) hours, I really don't get time to just sit down and listen to music. We do watch a lot of movies, (and increasingly well produced) TV Series these days though, so that wins.

Our next home will have the perfect opportunity to potentially do both well, so I'll be back to pure 2-channel down the track. Funny how things change, only 2-3 years ago I never thought I would be saying this when I had the audiophile bug so bad.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Marc said:

I still love hi-fi, but your priorities change at various stages of your life. Right now, with two young kids old enough to command most of my non-working (or sleeping) hours, I really don't get time to just sit down and listen to music. We do watch a lot of movies, (and increasingly well produced) TV Series these days though, so that wins.

Our next home will have the perfect opportunity to potentially do both well, so I'll be back to pure 2-channel down the track. Funny how things change, only 2-3 years ago I never thought I would be saying this when I had the audiophile bug so bad.

Yeh know how you feel, my listening habits have also completely changed with a new home, I'm also heading down the dedicated HT route atm given that would be 90% of my systems use and one I enjoy more with family and friends. I'm finding it harder to appreciate the 2ch sit on your own to listen situation as time goes on.

Will watch with interest as to which way you go, so many options out there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marc said:

A dozen Karan monoblocks on order???

• Haha 4