Combined Music / Cinema Room

• Administrator
7 hours ago, :) Go Away (: said:

Is it just me or that screen looks tiny now that the Everests are in view.

Very nice. I would love the sit down in that room and watch a movie. Happy to purchase tickets if that is an option :)

Tickets not necessary, but I don't think you'll want to come to Sicktoria anytime soon!

• Administrator
6 hours ago, markm1111 said:

I noticed in the first pic below that the subs were inverted on the opposite side, and thought to myself, that must be some flash type of positioning that I wasn't aware of. Then I saw the latest pic where they are the same way up. Was it trial and error, or just couldn't make up your mind?

Very observant. So yes, you are correct in that the first pic I was planning on inverting one sub for even bass. But I decided it was going to make F.A difference ultimately, and an upside down JBL logo was messing with my brain.

What I am trying to work out at the moment though is if I can invert the centre channel so that the acoustic centre is lower, and more in the horizontal plane with the Everest L + R channels. Not easy as I would need to make some serious brackets to take the weight of the enclosure (the waveguide is just resin/glass and sits on top of the cabinet).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Marc said:

What I am trying to work out at the moment though is if I can invert the centre channel so that the acoustic centre is lower, and more in the horizontal plane with the Everest L + R channels. Not easy as I would need to make some serious brackets to take the weight of the enclosure (the waveguide is just resin/glass and sits on top of the cabinet).

Rather than brackets, could you make a sort of shelf high enough to lift the enclosure so you can fit the waveguide under it? Or if you flip the speaker. Maybe the shelf doesn’t come all the way to the front so it doesn’t interfere with the waveguide? I’m not sure how it attaches. You might be able to get more structure under it to give it more strength than brackets depending on how you can access the space through the holes you’ve left. Just a thought

• Administrator

I think I might chalk it up to one of those things "for the next rebuild", because we just watched the footy, and while according to the documentation the acoustic centre is just beneath the wave guide, in the real world dialogue sounded like it was coming from the middle of the screen or even just below, to us. Which, I'm totally OK with given the amount of work that would need to go into reconfiguring it now.

Where do you stop ..... ? :)

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Marc said:

Honestly, there is a trend these days to go stupid big screens. I don't get it. It look AWESOME in photos on FB and forums, but every time I try and watch one I have to move my head around to take in all the action. From a useability point of view, sitting 3.5-4m back, 110" is actually very good. As for 'scope, my room is used as much by my family now if not more (thanks to lockdown), and it just needs to be set and forget. I don't want to be changing aspect ratios and all that. Walk in, press the Harmony remote (one button for each activity), and everything is ready to go. That's how these setups should be done. 

this is very true ! stupid big is unnecessary.. in fact for 4k HDR it creates problems to try light up too big a screen. scope can cause issues too as natively signal and projectors are all still 16:9 so actual image projected is quite a bit larger again... more challenge to light up ! and yes most definitely if width limited it makes no sense to go scope ! .. you just end up with a smaller 16:9 picture ! :D

• Like 1

On 16/07/2020 at 11:52 PM, Marc said:

I can assure you it wouldn't go. I had tried hard to make it work. 
It would have been fine from the middle two seated positions, but both outside seats would have been blocked by the Everests. :(

Honestly, there is a trend these days to go stupid big screens. I don't get it. It look AWESOME in photos on FB and forums, but every time I try and watch one I have to move my head around to take in all the action. From a useability point of view, sitting 3.5-4m back, 110" is actually very good. As for 'scope, my room is used as much by my family now if not more (thanks to lockdown), and it just needs to be set and forget. I don't want to be changing aspect ratios and all that. Walk in, press the Harmony remote (one button for each activity), and everything is ready to go. That's how these setups should be done. 

I to looked seriously at replacing our 110” screen with a scope screen and eventually decided that given our room is equally for both HiFi and HT usage and is 4.2m x 6m that the 110” was the best all round option, otherwise as you say the two outer seats can’t see all of the screen because of the speakers.

cheers,

Terry

• Like 2

• Administrator
18 hours ago, betty boop said:

is that the two slot holes under the sub woofers @Marc

Sure is. I've still got a bit of soldering and wiring to do so haven't dropped them back in yet.

They weigh 75kgs each and the top to bottom clearance at the opening is marginal. Going to need a few hands to guide them in (I only have one good working hand, so this whole job has been challenging for me).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Marc said:

They weigh 75kgs each and the top to bottom clearance at the opening is marginal. Going to need a few hands to guide them in (I only have one good working hand, so this whole job has been challenging for me).

75 kg ! wow ! should post a pic of these beasties before popping in... can imagine man handling these in place not an easy task !

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, betty boop said:

75 kg ! wow ! should post a pic of these beasties before popping in... can imagine man handling these in place not an easy task !

Back on Page 14:

• Like 1

On 16/07/2020 at 11:56 PM, Marc said:

What I am trying to work out at the moment though is if I can invert the centre channel so that the acoustic centre is lower, and more in the horizontal plane with the Everest L + R channels. 

Which model?   I'm sure there'll be a polar response published somewhere....  but it's not certain that they'll have the same performance up the other way.

I was really surprised to see it not installed lower.    I know that would have created some cosmetic issues and the like, but.....

• Like 1

• Administrator

4722N. In practice though, and after listening today we've decided it's not necessary. The point source is the middle of the screen vertically, so while having it on the same horizontal plane as the Everests would be nice, I would rather it is where it is, despite a potential rainbow effect. Once again, a compromise for cinema yet retaining great 2-ch staging and imaging.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey can I ask a question? Why the diffusion panels on the roof instead of absorption panels? 

I see them a lot, and need to decide for myself- I have Viacoustic panels for first reflection absorption on my walls and wonder why people use diffusion on the roof instead.

Thanks and I love your system!

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Sinewave said:

Hey can I ask a question? Why the diffusion panels on the roof instead of absorption panels? 

I see them a lot, and need to decide for myself- I have Viacoustic panels for first reflection absorption on my walls and wonder why people use diffusion on the roof instead.

Thanks and I love your system!

You can't go wrong with absorbers, diffusion, or a combination of both at first reflection points. My belief is there is no right or wrong here. I've seen, heard and tried both. In my case it was trial and error. This is what worked best for me. Before committing the final outcome, it involves quite a lot of length of timber to prop them up though!

• Like 1

• Administrator

Especially now, but not just because of lockdown, taking my dedicated listening room and turning it into a dual purpose room is the best thing I've done. This room gets daily use now, and brings the whole family together for movies. 

It also doubles as my daughter's dance and gymnastics studio now with remote learning. Handy being able to project Zoom meetings onto the big screen!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Marc said:

taking my dedicated listening room and turning it into a dual purpose room is the best thing I've done.

Agreed! My cinema room was also my digital stereo room.

Otherwise it would only have been used for movies a few hours a week.

• Like 1

• Administrator
On 21/05/2020 at 12:32 PM, STROP said:

Bloody nora...what a set up.

The first thing to do is pop down to JB HiFi and purchase this while their sale is on, will give your subs something to think about :hyper:

101910318.jpeg

Took your advice. Ordered this morning :)

• Like 1

Wow, that's one incredibly impressive room. 

Those 1.2m Vicoustic panels are rare now, not being imported into Aus anymore due to local courier delivery damage.  Interestingly, I'm told Vicoustic ship world wide, but only this issue exists here...  :(

After seeing you mention your bass traps in another thread I managed to score a pair from Wavetrain cinema, arrived this week.  A great product, so effective below 100Hz.

Edited by Kaynin

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Wow, that's one incredibly impressive room. 

Those 1.2m Vicoustic panels are rare now, not being imported into Aus anymore due to local courier delivery damage.  Interestingly, I'm told Vicoustic ship world wide, but only this issue exists here...  :(

After seeing you mention your bass traps in another thread I managed to score a pair from Wavetrain cinema, arrived this week.  A great product, so effective below 100Hz. And yes, they actually work :)

Thanks mate.

Mine aren't actually 1.2m panels. That's 3 x 600mm panels.

You scored MSR Spring Traps? Well done. They're probably the last ones in existence that were available I imagine!

12 minutes ago, Marc said:

Thanks mate.

Mine aren't actually 1.2m panels. That's 3 x 600mm panels.

You scored MSR Spring Traps? Well done. They're probably the last ones in existence that were available I imagine!

Ah, good use of the 600mm's.  I've heard that consideration is being given to even stopping the 600's because of the same damage related issues.

Yep, scored pretty much the last pair of the Springtraps.  After your recent discussions I contacted the USA manufacturer, who put me on the Wavetrain.  Timing was perfect because David was doing some work to a room and had the pair planned for the room but no longer needed them.

• Like 1