Combined Music / Cinema Room

• Administrator

Well I only got to start one of these threads here on StereoNET briefy, after some lounge-room work some years ago. Then kids happened, and the system was moved temporarily to the office area.

We're fortunate to have a large 7.1 x 5.5m double brick garage under the same roof line as the house, and converting this to a dedicated audio area has been on the cards for some years since.

It's taken 3 years longer than I expected to get started, but thankfully today ground was broken, so to speak (or at least, it's no longer a garage).

Directly in front of the existing garage is enough room to build a new double garage while is planned to happen towards the end of this year or early next. In the meantime, let the fun begin.

While I can't say this room is purpose built, it is being renovated purely to serve as a wonderful audio area. Many of StereoNET's sponsors have been aware of my plans for some time, and many have expressed their interest in being able to use this space to demonstrate products, and build upon our already established Victorian StereoNET GTG culture.

In my eyes I can think of nothing better than hosting various nights with different systems for audition, in a neutral environment. Plus, I owe many GTG invitations to many of our members whom have graciously opened their houses to me and our members more times than I can think.

I will have my own reference system in place, but I am planning the room / racks etc so that it is quite simple to set other systems and equipment up, and I do hope to be hosting semi-regular themed GTGs.

There's still a long road ahead, but I do anticipate making noise in here within around 6 weeks.

Today, the first work happened. The large roller door was removed, and double stud walls and solid door were put in place. The outside is cement sheet, and the inside of this rear wall will be two layers of Fyrchek - the second layer extending all the way from the floor to the ceiling. Tomorrow, we'll start on the internal stud walls and building in a dedicated vinyl storage area. There will be loads of plastering work with this project.

I'll keep updating the thread as work progresses.

post-103433-0-28312800-1430311361_thumb.

post-103433-0-77796000-1430311366_thumb.

post-103433-0-01480700-1430311371_thumb.

Wish me luck!

• Like 27

For those of us not in the nominal SNA Melbourne GTG circuit, will you be taking the completed room on tour? There's a vacant block a few streets over from here. All we would need is a bunch of extension cords and you'd be up and running. Perhaps you could organise sponsorship with a Port-a-loo company. Keep us in the loop, won't you?

• Like 1

• Administrator

The framing out for the vinyl storage racks is nearly complete, which studs out this wall for plastering also. Supports added for the split system that will be fitted above the vinyl racks.

Fitting off acoustic seals to the door this afternoon.

I've got a bit of work on the next few days, so going to take a break for a few days.

post-103433-0-39521300-1430365720_thumb.

post-103433-0-83912800-1430365724_thumb.

I've also got to tape, joint and render the external wall in the meantime. Nothing exciting there!

• Like 1

• Administrator

Well the outside wall is all but finished, a lot of work sealing gaps with Green Glue sealant (that you can't see), and insulating.
500kgs of gyprock was received today (and that's just for the back half of the room - particularly the two layers of 16mm Fireboard (with Green Glue between) that closes in the back wall. Hope to get it hung tonight.

Soooooo much to do. Pics later. :)

Looks like it's coming along nicely @@Marc - looking forward to my invite!

Just one question, where's the guest bedrooms for over indulging guests??  :D

If you carefully reposition bass traps from a vertical to a horizontal position then they can be surprisingly comfortable, or so I am told.

That looks like a great project Marc, should be a great place in which to to waste many hours when it's done.

Edited by Cafad

• Administrator

Note to self, 16mm Fireboard is too heavy to lift by one's self. That'll do it for the night tonight.

The outside wall. Still needs another coat. Going to add two vertical gardens side by side in the middle, with a merbau frame around them.

post-103433-0-01822700-1430826655_thumb.

I've also got to fit the acoustic seals to this door (perimeter seal, and automatic bottom seal) tomorrow.

post-103433-0-79108600-1430826651_thumb.

Three layers of Earthwool R1.9 acoustic insulation.

post-103433-0-76416800-1430826646_thumb.

Progress is a little slow just a couple of hours each night.

• Like 2

Have you considered working through the night under the auspices of a webcam, sort of like the Abbey Road one, but in a two way set up? That way  SNA members could watch you as you go, engage you in conversation as you work, and be extremely helpful by pointing out all of the mistakes you're making as they occur? By working through to at least 2am (so that our friends in WA can join in and not feel excluded) you will not only get it done a lot quicker, you'll also have some spare time in the day to sit down and write out a whole bunch of "Thank You" cards for all of the helpful advice about where you went wrong and how you should have fixed it?

Have you?

Edited by JukKluk2
  • Like 5

• Administrator

Have you considered working through the night under the auspices of a webcam, sort of like the Abbey Road one, but in a two way set up? That way  SNA members could watch you as you go, engage you in conversation as you work, and be extremely helpful by pointing out all of the mistakes you're making as they occur? By working through to at least 2am (so that our friends in WA can join in and not feel excluded) you will not only get it done a lot quicker, you'll also have some spare time in the day to sit down and write out a whole bunch of "Thank You" cards for all of the helpful advice about where you went wrong and how you should have fixed it?

Have you?

Ummm, no. Hehe :)

What product are you using for the automatic bottom seal?

Nothing exotic, but it seemed like something easy to do at the same time.

Ideally, I'd go two doors both internally and externally. Wifey wasn't keen on having to open 4 doors to get from the car to the house with kid on hip. :)

http://www.kilargo.com.au/ourproducts/is8011si/

post-103433-0-47017700-1430834820_thumb.

• Like 1

Thanks @@Marc, I spoke to Kilargo today, they actually asked if I was north of the city!  Anyway they gave a contact closer to me.  Will keep North Melbourne in mind if ordering is an issue.  They look better built than Raven, and are thinner in design so fit into my 35mm wide doors better.

the system was moved temporarily to the office area.

So the president of the biggest HiFi forum had his sustem tucked away in the "office area"?

Well I never.....

:lol:

Anyway, some nice progress there so far and I shall be watching.

:)

Looking great @@Marc ... so much attention to detail ...

keep the pics coming :)

Suck!!!  :mad:

Great work by the way @@Marc, good to see such dedication to creating an acoustically dedicated area with no expense spared!

Well done!  :thumb: