'Unpowered' break in.

G'day all, I guess when the subject of 'break in' is mentioned, one can assume that it is 'powered' break in. 

Well two of my commercially made phono stages (ANT Kora 3T SE and Lounge Audio LCR MKIII), although used a little earlier, but now unused (and unpowered) for several months, have recently been placed back into service and both sound quite different to when last used.  So is 'unpowered' break in possible?  Regards, Felix. 

Edited by catman

What do you mean by unpowered break in? If you've had them sitting on the shelf that long the capacitors would be almost completely discharged by now. A few hours of warming up the phonos on power up after long idle shelf life can make them spring into action again. Personally I believe in break in. 

• Like 1

G'day all, well both items were powered on first installation, but then left stored unused and unpowered for some months but now used again their 'sound' has definitely changed, so who knows?  Regards, Felix. 

Hi Felix,

Whenever I go away for a reasonable time, say a fortnight or more, and turn on the stereo after this enforced abstinence, it always sounds fantastic and first impressions are that it sounds 'better than I remember it'.  Wasn't it an old saying that 'absence makes the heart grow fonder', maybe it works for sound too! :love

G'day all.  Yes LPM: I had considered that aspect however both stages sound so different now, especially the ANT Kora 3T SE!  Indeed the reason that I took the ANT Kora 3T SE out of service was that it didn't 'rock'. 

It certainly does 'rock' now and I'm sure that I'm not imagining this change!  With my 'Lounge' phono stage, it had lot of pronounced sonic 'thickness' that I didn't like and that sonic 'thickness' seems to have cleared up completely.  Mmmm.  Regards, Felix. 

Edited by catman