$300 - $500 Headphones.. B&W P7 - AKG Q701 - Sennheiser Momentum - HiFi Man HE-500

The just released Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 do fold up to a more compact size. Also the ear cups are somewhat larger than the rather compact ear cups of the original which caused comfort issues for some users.

• Like 1

So the HE-500's definitely require an amp ?

Without a doubt, yes. These need amping. Most high performance headphones will need an amp. The few exceptions are blue's new active headphone, and the good ol HD600/650.

• Like 1

So the HE-500's definitely require an amp ?

Yes.

I'm listening to mine now through a bunch of amps but you can certainly plug a phone in or a pod or whatever to an amp via an adaptor and these things are just fantastic.

You can keep your HD600's/650's/700's IMO, I really like the 500's sound, but there is certainly an issue with the weight of the things and they certainly need a soft pad addition to the headband something that you certainly don't need with the Sennys.

Listening to discordant retro punk Afro beat Northern European house sounding brass anarchic beat music and they are describing well to me brain...(lot of space inside it so it's no mean feat...)

Thanks for all the Suggestions and comments all !

Thanks Al, 

I stand by your opinion on the P7's as my reference to them as a priority choice - The fact that these can be powered by something as little as my iPhone is a huge plus.

I stopped at the Momentum's in the Sennheiser range as it seems they are the only ones I know of, And they have excellent reviews - 'Excellent Sound for the Bucks'. 

I am located South of Wollongong NSW - I really need to update my profile !

I have seen the B&O's H6, They look a very classy set. Will these be easily powered by the iPhone ? 

These do seem to be the choice for beast sound, and the fact that the retail was near the $1k mark obviously says they mean buissness.

Do they require an amp to be enjoyed ?

I love the H6's - they're quite neutral to me. Mind you everyone here's sound differently, hence why you SHOULD hear anything first. Yes- easily driven by iPhone, or any portable source. You may hear some people on alternative forums and get all crazy about how they sound better amped, but ignore that lot. Any portable source is fine.

The Momentum 2.0's are out. I heard them as well, larger cups give a better fit over the old ones. Plumped for the H6 as I preferred the neutral sound.

The just released Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 do fold up to a more compact size. Also the ear cups are somewhat larger than the rather compact ear cups of the original which caused comfort issues for some users.

That is great news indeed

• Like 1

Maybe try Audio Technica W series like the ATH-W1000. They can be have for around $400-500, very easy to drive and sound decent without any amp. If you want something portable the ATH-ESW9 Limited Edition is also very good.

In the price range, PM-3 can be have for new and is also well worth considering.

Edited by rx79ez08

Most high performance headphones will need an amp. The few exceptions are blue's new active headphone, and the good ol HD600/650. 

these need an amp too;

The best headphone I've heard is the Oppo PM2, curious about the PM3 but I don't have $500+ to waste on headphones like other rich nerds. Go to Addicted to Noise in Kew (or newtown) and fall down a rabbit hole of headphone nirvana, but you will understand a lot of the headphones they hype on HeadFi are utter rubbish, and you will also understand the problem with bassy coloured headphones..Half the problem is smart phones aren't really designed with quality audio amps. I am still waiting for a headphone under $300 that will match the Oppos. 

You might be waiting a while, but i hope i'm wrong.. the Oppos are great phones..

If you are doing 90% iphone listening - is it in transit? noisy environments? lots of on and off? if so i rest my case get some ATH M50's and something finer for home...Hifiman, Oppos..., 

• Like 1

I hear they have a service where you can trade your kidney for expensive headphones. Might be something worthwhile to check out.

They still do that !

I thought that stuff only existed at Harvey Norman.

Unfortunately I only have my appendix left. (Which is in immaculate condition, NO scratches whatsoever)....

I traded my last kidney + 1 arm and 1 leg for some cable upgrades....... Well worth it.

Yes.

I'm listening to mine now through a bunch of amps but you can certainly plug a phone in or a pod or whatever to an amp via an adaptor and these things are just fantastic.

You can keep your HD600's/650's/700's IMO, I really like the 500's sound, but there is certainly an issue with the weight of the things and they certainly need a soft pad addition to the headband something that you certainly don't need with the Sennys.

Listening to discordant retro punk Afro beat Northern European house sounding brass anarchic beat music and they are describing well to me brain...(lot of space inside it so it's no mean feat...)

I see portable amps the size of a Smartphone (Battery Powered) are available at a very reasonable price. Would one of these be sufficient for Driving the HE-500's ?

I also have the issue of needing to fill the empty space in the head with sound. Glad to hear the HE-500's are up to the task.

I love the H6's - they're quite neutral to me. Mind you everyone here's sound differently, hence why you SHOULD hear anything first. Yes- easily driven by iPhone, or any portable source. You may hear some people on alternative forums and get all crazy about how they sound better amped, but ignore that lot. Any portable source is fine.

The Momentum 2.0's are out. I heard them as well, larger cups give a better fit over the old ones. Plumped for the H6 as I preferred the neutral sound.

I know I should be listening before buying. In the Ideal world I would be, But my nearest Audio store only stocks Focal and Bose Headphones, and the next closest doesn't stock Headphones at all.

Any further and it's 1 hr 30 mins drive...

I like how you have mentioned that others suggest amping these but it's not necessary. Are they are large heavy unit ?

Just had a look, Do you have a pair yourself ?

How do they stack up ?

Curious as to why they are relatively so cheap.

I was disappointed with them compared to my 701s through the headphone amp or straight out of my ASUS Essence soundcard.

I had them for over a year before I tried them with my iphone 5 because I needed something smaller to play my wav files from my iphone while I was painting the stair banisters.............and boy, was I surprised how good they sounded.

It was like they were made for it!

Suddenly, I didn't feel that I wasted my money on them!

(I only listen to rock music though)

these need an amp too;

You might be waiting a while, but i hope i'm wrong.. the Oppos are great phones..

If you are doing 90% iphone listening - is it in transit? noisy environments? lots of on and off? if so i rest my case get some ATH M50's and something finer for home...Hifiman, Oppos..., 

Not until your initial post I thought about buying 2 sets..

But I am coming to like the idea,

I thought by bringing the budget up to the $500 mark would help me find a nice compromise between portability, comfortably and Quality.

It seems it might be better to get a pair for Portability and another Pair for Home.....

I see portable amps the size of a Smartphone (Battery Powered) are available at a very reasonable price. Would one of these be sufficient for Driving the HE-500's ?

I also have the issue of needing to fill the empty space in the head with sound. Glad to hear the HE-500's are up to the task.

I know I should be listening before buying. In the Ideal world I would be, But my nearest Audio store only stocks Focal and Bose Headphones, and the next closest doesn't stock Headphones at all.

Any further and it's 1 hr 30 mins drive...

I like how you have mentioned that others suggest amping these but it's not necessary. Are they are large heavy unit ?

Nope! These are a super light, comfy phone. They're designed for portability, have 30 ohm impedance, and high sensitivity. Sometimes I think people suggest they amp it because they're looking for a fault and a reason to tinker- nothing is perfect! I just feel that on the balance these just sound great. Mind you, you could find these average.. People have different ear canal shapes, and skull shapes which I think can effect the interpretation of the signal- due to the way the phone fits. So I would suggest that everyone on this post is correct- you just gotta work out who's right...

I know it has been said before but the HE500 are the best out of the lot here - not really ideal for portable. Very comfortable and better sounding with the HE560 pads and also more comfortable with additional band padding - they are my joint second favourite pair of headphones (Rank equally to my HD800 - different sound but not inferior) - only beaten by the HE-6 but they are powered out of the speaker taps on a 30w amp......so not a fair contest really.

Best advice I can give is buy a S/H pair and try them - the worst you can lose is the postage as they are (and will continue to be) a good seller - many (including me) prefer them to the HE560 as they have a slightly warmer sound signature.

They are significantly better than the HD650 and HD600

They will sound okay from a portable amp that provides enough current but I found that they sounded compressed/flat compared to pairing them with a really decent home dedicated headphone amp. 

Nope! These are a super light, comfy phone. They're designed for portability, have 30 ohm impedance, and high sensitivity. Sometimes I think people suggest they amp it because they're looking for a fault and a reason to tinker- nothing is perfect! I just feel that on the balance these just sound great. Mind you, you could find these average.. People have different ear canal shapes, and skull shapes which I think can effect the interpretation of the signal- due to the way the phone fits. So I would suggest that everyone on this post is correct- you just gotta work out who's right...

To clarify, I was talking about the H6, not the HE500's

i'll pick the P7, as others have said, they sound ok while in the looks department, it is miles ahead in looking good vs the others you mentioned.

i loved mine, until the audezes came along... :)

Edited by productred

i'll pick the P7, as others have said, they sound ok while in the looks department, it is miles ahead in looking good vs the others you mentioned.

i loved mine, until the audezes came along... :)

I'd go the P7 gorgeous things in both looks and sound. also in all the headphones have owned the least needing an amp if going off an iPhone :) so probably most friendly have found for portable audio...also useful they are closed back as work well to also isolate from other outside sounds..if thats what looking for :)

good to know the P7 are good. It's more than I can say for the P5. Still, some people do love them so maybe it's just me.

Anyone want my mint pair for $100?

Edited by rantan