Sign in to follow this  
JonoSydney

Rotel RA-12 - what is the verdict on that one?

Hi folks,

TL;DR: Any owners of the Rotel RA-12 who can share feedback on it? Specially if you're matching them with B&W 685s.

Those of you in NSW: hope you're doing ok in the storm.

I've been going back and forth between amp options to match the B&W 685 S2 I've set my sights on. So far I've looked at:

• Arcam FMJ A19 + standalone DAC
  • Marantz PM6005
  • Rotel RA-10 + standalone DAC
  • Rotel RA-11
  • Rotel RA-12
At this entry-level I'm operating at ($2k total), 50-70% of the budget should go towards the speakers, since that's where I'll get the most ROI. For that reason, I've ruled out the Arcam and Rotel RA-10, simply because with those options too much of the budget goes to the DAC, which is the 2nd least important part (after cables). 

However, I've found on eBay a Rotel RA-12 at a decent price ($739). It has built in DAC, 60w per channel...well enough to drive the 685s. However, I can't seem to find many reviews on it and the What HiFi review was a bit mixed. Anyone here using the RA-12 that has some feedback to share?

Have you heard the rotel with the b&ws?

No, haven't heard them together and I'm having difficulties finding anyone in Sydney who sells both Rotel and B&W. Was hoping that The Hifi Trader in Newtown would have them since they carry Rotel amps, but they don't seem to sell B&W, same with Sydney Hifi in Castle Hill. Apollo Hifi & Len Wallis both have the B&W speakers, but not the Rotel amps. 

Try Lifestyle Store at North Parramatta, they should have both.

Try Lifestyle Store at North Parramatta, they should have both.

Mate, thank you. Just gave them a call and it was a partial success. They have the RA-12, but only the 686s in the showroom to listen to. 

I've listened to the 685s and liked them. I wonder how much of a gamble it would be to listen to the Rotel amp with the 686s and use that as a proxy for how well the amp would sound with the 685s?

Lifestyle Store does however have some nice speaker options in the same price range: KEF Q300, Dynaudio 2/6 and Dynaudio 2/7. I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll like something else while in store and end up coming home with something completely different from my original B&W plan  :)

I have the RA-12 connected to a pair of B&W PM1 speakers. I initially had them hooked up to some B&W CM5s then upgraded.

I bought the Rotel off eBay during one of their 15% off Sunday sales so picked it up for less than $700. The seller was one of the Melbourne audio stores.

The CM5's I bought on SNA at a great price (thanks bebop) but saw the PM1s on gumtree at basically half price a few months later so grabbed them. The CM5s are now boxed up waiting for me to buy a house so I can have a 2nd system (they could be waiting a while).

I've since purchased a 2nd hand RCD-12 from gumtree (perfect condition) and an RT-12 from another melbourne audio store which was on sale.

Yes, I didn't listen to the "package" before purchasing but more than happy with the result. However I'm no audio expert.....

Just saying if you're willing to shop around and wait for 2nd hand stuff to pop up, you can grab some bargains.

I've seen a couple of pairs of CM5's appear for sale here in recent time so you might want to consider 2nd hand (I think there's a set in Sydney still for sale?) as possibly an upgrade to the 685s.

Edited by 943

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By DigitalDave
      Item: Naim Supernait 2 integrated amplifier
      Price: $4,100 negotiable + shipping if needed
      Item Condition:  Excellent
      Reason for selling: funding an upgrade
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: Purchased brand new October 2017. I love this amp, but I am upgrading and cant afford to keep two amplifiers. 

Comes with double box, manual, remote etc.

Heaps of reviews available, but here's a few;

https://www.whathifi.com/naim/supernait-2/review

http://www.tomtomaudio.co.uk/reviews/NAIM%20Supernait%202.pdf

http://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/naim-supernait-2-integrated-amplifier

https://andreweverard.com/2013/08/21/naim-supernait-2-proving-that-less-is-more/

https://wallofsound.ca/audioreviews/naim-supernait-2-integrated-amplifier/

Official specs from Naim;

https://www.naimaudio.com/product/supernait-2

Inputs Four on DIN/RCA, one on RCA only, one DIN with 24V power for Naim phono stage (there is HT/AV bypass available on the AV input)
      Outputs One pair of speakers, 6.35mm headphone socket, preout and biamp on DIN, subwoofer on RCA phonos
      Power output 80Wpc into 8ohms, 130Wpc into 4ohms
      Upgrade options FlatCap, HiCap or SuperCap power supplies for preamp sections
      Other connections/facilities Input for external infrared sensor, remote control input, USB mini-B for upgrades, unity gain input for use with AV receivers/processors
      Accessories supplied NARCOM-4 remote handset, link plug (remove when power supplies added)
      Dimensions (WxHxD) 43.2×8.7×31.4cm
      Weight 12.8kg

Item: Aurealis interconnect - RCA to 5 pin DIN
      Price: $140 (shipping included with above purchase)
      Item Condition:  As new, only 2 months old
      Reason for selling: no longer needed once Supernait 2 is sold
      Extra Info: ** Optional extra purchase** If you wish to buy this amplifier and don't have a Naim source I also have a 1 metre RCA- 5 pin DIN interconnect to connect a non Naim source (RCA to RCA is fine too) I can sell for $140 (cost me $236 to have it custom made by Geoff @ Aurealis Audio, its a variation on the R1 Dragon all copper Litz). I would not charge any additional shipping for this as it would comfortably fit inside the Supernait box. It's a really nice cable, hand made in Aus. Naim do recommend their preferred DIN inputs for superior SQ.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By usercam
      Item: Emotiva A-150 amplifier
      Price: $350
      Item Condition: like new
      Reason for selling: upgrade
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, bank transfer
      Extra Info: Emotiva A-150 power amp, like new condition only 6 months old, no marks, scratches or blemishes at all.
      Class A-B 75wpc into 8 ohms / 150wpc into 4 ohms. a great budget amp for hard to drive bookshelf speakers such as the Uni-fi UB5
      Comes with original box, power cable and manual and original purchase receipt.
      Can post Australia wide at buyers expense just pm me your post code for a quote 

• By maziansmarts
      Item: Bel Canto S300 Class D Power Amplified
      Price:  $900
      Item Condition: Very good.
      Reason for selling: upgraded to tube amplifier
      Extra Info:
       150 wpc dual mono and has fully balanced and RCA inputs.  This amplifier is not the standard model but has been modified by Underwood HiFi in the USA.  This modification was designed by Chris Johnson, former President of Sonic Frontiers.  The result is a more natural sounding and life like sound, more detail and a wider, deeper soundstage.  For full details of the modification see photo.  The amp is dual voltage 100-120v and 220-240v and is in excellent condition with no marks or scratches visible and comes with the original manual but no original box.  

• By thewaves
      Item: Analogue Domain Isis M75D MK2 Reference Integrated Amplifier
      Price: $22,000 ono (please feel free to make offers - I want to move this along) RRP is approx 40k AUD with Australia tax added.
      Item Condition: Excellent, barely run in.
      Reason for selling: Running dual monoblocs from a single source now
      Extra Info: When I had a variety of inputs, Turntable, CD player, DAC, etc this was a killer solution - reference sound in a compact (albeit quite weighty) integrated amp.  I am now in a position where I run everything through a single DAC and am running that straight into a pair of monoblocks so this beauty has to go. In short this is one of the best way to get Analog Domain sound for less than $100,000.

Review here:

https://www.monoandstereo.com/2017/04/analog-domain-m75d-mkii-integrated.html

Photos:

• By Artie59
      Item: Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated stereo amplifier
      Price: $700
      Item Condition: Good
      Reason for selling: Too many amps
      Extra Info: Includes user guide, remote control and power cord. 

Prefer local pickup from Bondi NSW as I don't have the original box and this amp is heavy.
      I can drop off at Pack & Send for buyer to arrange packing and delivery with Pack & Send.

Technical Specifications
      Power Output
      120W RMS into 8 Ohms
      200W RMS into 4 Ohms

THD (unweighted)
      < 0.001% 1 kHz at 80% of rated power
      < 0.01% 20 Hz - 20 kHz at 80% of rated power

Frequency Response
      10 Hz - 50 kHz +/- 1 dB

S/N ratio (ref 1W/8 Ohm)
      > 93 dB

Dimensions
      (H x W x D) 115 x 430 x 385mm (4.5 x 16.9 x 15.2”)

Weight 15.0kg (33Lbs)