Sign in to follow this  
mello yello

Legacy Speakers

website

http://legacyaudio.com/

saw and heard a pair of their monsters at Pymble HiFi a while ago, Whispers i think going by the picture below

LegacyDSW2-5.jpg

they were absolute monsters alright with a just won lotto pricetag too, but i notice they have some more real world type speakers in their range as well including some on wall and in wall designs that ive always kept a keen eye on

has anyone used or heard the entry level Legacy, i can imagine the $30,000 pairs would sound ok, but are the entry level worth considering ?

i currently have Orpheus Auroras in a modest real world set-up but if and when i ever have to replace them (reluctantly) i think Legacy might be a worthy replacement for Orpheus ?

what do others think ? yes i know "go and listen for yourself", but even then i would never hear anyone elses opinion would i ?

Just a question - why doe expensive  spekers have more and larger drivers?  Quantity of drivers than quality?

I owned the Legacy Signature III for about 8yrs when I was living in Melb about 10 yrs ago. Got them s/hand in Melb and ran them with big s/s amps-Cello Duet 350 and Mark Levinson ML3. I was very pleased with them and they seemed to make "very pleasing music" of all genres. I liked them a lot and although I felt that they didnt excell in absolute terms at anything they performed very well in all areas-if that makes sense. I bought and sold them for around $2750 which I thought was good value for a large full range speaker. Have not heard the Whispers but lusted for them at the time

Edited by aertex

I heard the Studio HD standmounts (smaller brother to the Expressions?) at Pymble Hifi and they completely rocked my world. Absolutely amazing for the price ($2200 at the time I think). Plenty of bottom end with the 8" driver, a really smooth and extended top end with their ribbon, and they sounded much larger than their cabinet would suggest. 

Just a question - why doe expensive  spekers have more and larger drivers?  Quantity of drivers than quality?

This is not a universal phenomenon per say, although if you want 20Hz-20KHz plus....you will need a few drivers, as a general rule. More importantly it seems to be a Legacy thing. My Sig III's were a 4 way, 6 driver speaker. All their floor standers tend to be similar. They love their ribbon tweeters too!

Alan

Edited by aertex

How did they Sound, the big fellows.

i felt like i was actually intruding on a stage while the band was trying to perform, the sound just surrounded your senses in such a small room too

they had a resonance that you could actually feel and a clarity that you could almost touch

they were pretty awesome

I'm possibly listening to some AU$60k Verity speakers this week. My 180W new Class D maybe powering the demo. Big stuff!

Just a question - why doe expensive spekers have more and larger drivers? Quantity of drivers than quality?

There is no replacement for displacement.

Are you just looking for a change or are you upgrading because I like the sound of the Auroras. Hard to beat at that price range.

Are you just looking for a change or are you upgrading because I like the sound of the Auroras. Hard to beat at that price range.

thats my impression, that Auroras would be hard to beat

just sort of deciding in advance if i they needed to be replaced, they are getting on in years now, however they have never sounded better with the introduction of a UD5007 into my chain

edit: dont mind the look of and specs of the two ive outlined, the Classic and Expression. would be interesting in a side by side, bearing in mind the Legacy are more than twice the price, so i suppose an upgrade in price, but they better be good to beat Orpheus

Edited by mello yello II

I do like the look and larger drivers and the Yanks seem to love there Legacy speakers.

yep, its the larger drivers that im looking at

more (natural) bottom end without having to resort to a sub

I own Legacy Focus SE and like them lots.  

Have owned Orpheus Dolomite, Dali Suite 2.8 ,B&W 703 and Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 among others.

Looking at my Legacy's one might imagine that the bass would be overpowering with twin 10 bass drivers. Not the case!  Bass is plentiful but tight and doesn't take over. Couldn't imagine going back to any of the previous mentioned speakers even though they are all fine speakers.

A very dynamic speaker

When I upgraded from the aurora 3s I went with the Whatmoughs. I did spend some time with the focus se which I really enjoyed. They were just a bit outside my price range.

Hey @@mello yello, what amplification are you using? Have you considered anything else or is it a case of LUST and needing to find a suitable justification?

Looking at the spec's you'd have to be considering the Classic HD's wouldn't you? If there is anything that I can say from past experience it's that there is no substitute for real bottom end. I've had Gale 402's and Linn Kabers in the past, and I thought that they were pretty good in the bottom end, but it wasn't until I got my Martin Logan Vantages that I heard for the first time what can pass in isolation for a full range speaker. I know the Vantages don't go full range in absolute terms but they get so very close in practical terms that I don't care. The point is, unless you have heard this close you really don't know what it is that you are missing. I'd go so far as to say that 90% of audiophiles may never have had a taste of real bottom end.

Looking at the spec's you'd have to be considering the Classic HD's wouldn't you?

i was ... until Jeffro mentioned the Focus SE

i seem to be going in the opposite direction to what my wallet will allow

Hey @@mello yello, what amplification are you using? Have you considered anything else or is it a case of LUST and needing to find a suitable justification?

its just research at the moment JukK, amplification will probably need to be improved as well, currently just a middle of the road AVR which i think would struggle to power any Legacy to be honest, so again, its going northwards,

i hear what you are saying about decent bottom end, but im not adverse to compromise either, however its midrange and imaging where i tend to lay my priorities anyway, just thought i could achieve that and add decent bottom end, not that the Auroras lack any as they are.

i may (actually i think i will) keep the Auroras as rears and maybe match them with a new pair of Apollo VI's in a quad/stereo set-up