Spectacular Speakers!!

• Volunteer
4 hours ago, Mushroom01 said:

Voxativ

987 front mit Schild 1100.jpg

Anyone who thinks a single-driver loudspeaker lacks low-frequency delivery has simply never experienced our award-winning 9.87 System.

This modular hybrid active system consists of two units coupled together to perform seamlessly as one.

• On top is our acclaimed second-gen passive Pi monitor that can be ordered with drivers of your choice.

• On the bottom is the mighty Pi-Bass. A woofer extension system that combines the Ripol® speaker design philosophy with our proprietary Acoustic Stealth Technology®. The result is a fully open system that moves close to zero air volume allowing for free placement within a room.

The lower Pi-Bass module is equipped with 2 x 96dB neodymium woofers each (=99dB). These woofers are extremely fast and are driven by a 250W class A/B plate amp tuned by our electronics team.

Given this unique combination, this system runs semi-active in that the Pi monitors on top need no crossover and are fed directly from the high-level speaker cable taps from a complimentary amplifier like our Voxativ T-211 Integrated (the perfect pairing).

The bottom Pi-Bass woofer module has it's own amplifier and can be driven up to an onboard crossover setting of 120 Hz (recommended) with a full range of EQ to blend into any room.

We suggest a line-level RCA connection from your preamp to the Pi-Bass for highest fidelity (although a high-level speaker cable connection is also possible.)

The result is the most powerful full-range system the industry has ever experienced linear down to 20Hz in low-frequency slam.

>> TECHNICAL DATA

Frequency Response
20 - 20.000 Hz

Driver
VOXATIV AC-PiFe or others

Efficiency max.
110 dB / 1W / 1 m

Capacity
50 W sinus

Dimensions (W x H x D)
16 x 47 x 16" (40x120x40cm)

Color
Piano Finish, white or black

Weight
150 lbs (67kg)

But it's not a single driver system !!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

that's exactly right.

It's a single driver speaker in a shiny black box sitting on top of a sub woofer. "OOPS" i mean "a woofer extension system with Ripol speaker design philosophy and proprietary Acoustic Stealth Technology"

Which they then claim moves almost zero air??? Huh, and the clincher "extremely fast woofers" (Acoustic engineers joke for whats a fast woofer= a tweeter!) ?

Who writes this stuff?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, rob said:

that's exactly right.

It's a single driver speaker in a shiny black box sitting on top of a sub woofer. "OOPS" i mean "a woofer extension system with Ripol speaker design philosophy and proprietary Acoustic Stealth Technology"

Which they then claim moves almost zero air??? Huh, and the clincher "extremely fast woofers" (Acoustic engineers joke for whats a fast woofer= a tweeter!) ?

Who writes this stuff?

All the bs aside they sound amazing. Very impressive.

• Love 1

On 31/01/2020 at 5:34 PM, rob said:

Who writes this stuff?

I am truly amazed by this spin. 

"Anyone who thinks a single-driver loudspeaker lacks low-frequency delivery has simply never experienced our award-winning 9.87 System"

A system which proves that a single driver loudspeaker lacks low frequency delivery,  hence we had to add a sub?  ?

11 hours ago, Pops110 said:

All the bs aside they sound amazing. Very impressive

I am sure they sound brilliant.  Look fantastic too.  ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

4 hours ago, Brett 10 said:

What’s the recommended placement for that chair, close to the wall, free space?

I'm not aware of any recommendations as I imagine this would depend on several different factors. However, they do provide some information about it's functionality on their website.  From their website: "The Kharma Listening chair is specially sculpted to enjoy a musical performance in every way. The chair in its upright listening position brings an active posture to unravel a musical masterpiece, while it can also be transformed to a laidback lounge chair to forget the world around us and enjoy our favourite music. By just a touch of a finger, you control the built-in motor to settle into your desired position."

• 4 weeks later...

So, this is a thread about spectacular speakers.  Well, the pic I have attached comes from the Victorian Real Estate pages and the standard pair of Duntech Crown Princes, as worthy as thay are, hardly meet the definition of "spectacular".

But, it seemed as good a place as any to show a gorgeous picture of a pair of speakers looking totally at home in the perfect context of a piece of superb 70's architecture.

To me the overall effect is spectacular as it looks like a place I'd love to spend time in and a home I'd really enjoy living in.  Perhaps a function of my age demographic, but good 70's architecture does it for me and the CP's just add the perfect finishing touch.:thumb:

2065832456_image3(2).thumb.jpg.7fcb0642b7fd78ea2a58435f77375030.jpg 

PS  Anyone care to identify the electronic components?

Edited by Tony M
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Tony M said:

PS  Anyone care to identify the electronic components?

Looks like a Rotel Michi preamp in the middle and CD player on the right. Not sure about the others.

Edited by Darryl
  • Like 1

On 31/01/2020 at 4:32 PM, sir sanders zingmore said:

The first line is just an advertising hook to get attention. At first read I thought it was misleading too, but if you read it carefully you will see that there is nothing in the wording of the statement that says it is a single driver system. The text below it then goes on to explain in more detail. Have another read.

"Anyone who thinks a single-driver loudspeaker lacks low-frequency delivery has simply never experienced our award-winning 9.87 System."

If anything, it plays on the tendency of readers to make assumptions, but its certainly not misleading, just a clever bit of marketing.

I'm sure they sound great too.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, emesbee said:

The first line is just an advertising hook to get attention. At first read I thought it was misleading too, but if you read it carefully you will see that there is nothing in the wording of the statement that says it is a single driver system. The text below it then goes on to explain in more detail. Have another read.

"Anyone who thinks a single-driver loudspeaker lacks low-frequency delivery has simply never experienced our award-winning 9.87 System."

If anything, it plays on the tendency of readers to make assumptions, but its certainly not misleading, just a clever bit of marketing.

Well spotted and your analysis is borne out by some of the earlier responses in this thread.

As you say, it is clever marketing – which of course is designed to attract our attention in the first instance.

I use a field coil version of this Voxativ 9.87 speaker system and am very happy with their performance – in spite of it obviously not being a single driver system.  That said it must be acknowledged that most of its output across 8 octaves IS generated from a rear horn loaded single driver.

• Volunteer
1 hour ago, emesbee said:

Sure. You could also say something like “anyone who thinks you can’t get perfect stereo imaging from a single speaker has simply never experienced our award winning 2-speaker system”

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 29/09/2017 at 7:40 AM, SPR08Y said:

More speakers that, I believe, fit into the 'Spectacular Speaker' category come from the German company Blumenhofer Acoustics.

http://www.blumenhofer-acoustics.com/Distributors/Distributors/Distributors.php?lang=EN

Again, as a woodwork teacher, I fancy the exotic veneers that have been applied to some of their cabinets. 

I may may be interpreting 'Spectacular Speakers' incorrectly, but in my mind, they must be visually arresting/pleasing etc. and I would hope they sound as good as they look! 

Make up your own mind, do they fit in this thread? 

IMG_0334.JPG.67957eab7d0f56f6c2d5ab7a449cf91f.JPG

IMG_0338.JPG.16ef3350ee61926de3f00a18e7d1b0ba.JPG

(The pair above = my favs!) 

IMG_0335.JPG.42b205deb549fb6881a3100ae81e15b7.JPGIMG_0337.JPG.69dc3b7bcd06745ed1fd11fb66f8adb3.JPGIMG_0336.JPG.f31caf05bdd87a044854e16db60924fc.JPGIMG_0339.JPG.820cc6877e3007899b618c5b159b06d5.JPGIMG_0340.JPG.fc14cb6ffbf57c681c8730a813df99cb.JPGIMG_0341.JPG.cce4b687dd562abab78660afb2bde8a9.JPGIMG_0342.JPG.26b2fedf3e12bff943d6ad9594d31bad.JPGIMG_0343.PNG.c79b124baee0cda58149b5b147d41580.PNGIMG_0345.JPG.5f297f0303e3f81e2b88196c0a70565b.JPGIMG_0346.JPG.05e88dff869b4fbed63f6302b98b706f.JPG

Kind regards, 

Michael 

I agree, the aesthetics are a huge part of the pleasure of loudspeakers, and of course the audio quality needs to match and visa versa. I'm collaborating to build a set that meet this dual criteria and I would LOVE to get some Mukassar (ebony) type veneer with that great contrast. Any idea how to source that in Australia given your woodworking knowledge?

Thanks

I'm suspicious whether some of these flares even work. Sometimes doesn't take much before the horn is effectively terminated before the physical end of the horn due to extreme changes in flare and abrupt angle changes. 

There were some massive home built horns on stereo.net shown at an art exhibition that seemed to have this issue in their response. 

I had to design and build a horn once to test automotive component insertion losses where I had to eliminate end reflections as they interfered with the measurement (so you need to efficiently radiate all the noise away, like in a horn speaker). Found issues in the ISO Standard I'd been asked to use, which was also an issue in some ANSI test procedures. Ended up doing first principles design. 

Even just transferring abruptly from round to square is enough to cause issues. Ended up turning square bar in a lathe to create a tapered round to square transition plug shape, which I then waxed and wrapped fibre glass around. When set, popped the plug out and added the fibreglass transition into the build. 

IMG_0342.JPG.26b2fedf3e12bff943d6ad9594d31bad.jpeg

Edited by DrSK