The Best Sounding vinyl record/LP in your collection

Of my approximately 5000 records, the best sounding of them all is the MFSL Original Master Recordings pressing of Riccardo Muti conducting the Philadelphia Orchestra in Stravinsky's Firebird Suite and the Ravel orchestration of Mussorgsky's Pictures At An Exhibition. The original English EMI/HMV pressing sounds very good (I have two copies) and the recent Hi-Q reissue sounds better again (I have this also), but the MFSL pressing is absolutely magic, and sounds about as close to being in the concert hall as I could imagine. In addition to sounding totally lifelike, it is a spectacularly fabulous performance of both works.

If you ever have the opportunity to buy the US Angel 45rpm pressing of these works, don't bother. They are singularly disappointing, losing much of the tension which is so captivating in these other pressings and especially in the MFSL.

CCF11062014_0000.jpg

post-105517-0-84507800-1429945905_thumb.

• Like 7

Of my approximately 5000 records, the best sounding of them all is the MFSL Original Master Recordings pressing of Riccardo Muti conducting the Philadelphia Orchestra in Stravinsky's Firebird Suite and the Ravel orchestration of Mussorgsky's Pictures At An Exhibition. The original English EMI/HMV pressing sounds very good (I have two copies) and the recent Hi-Q reissue sounds better again (I have this also), but the MFSL pressing is absolutely magic, and sounds about as close to being in the concert hall as I could imagine. In addition to sounding totally lifelike, it is a spectacularly fabulous performance of both works.

If you ever have the opportunity to buy the US Angel 45rpm pressing of these works, don't bother. They are singularly disappointing, losing much of the tension which is so captivating in these other pressings and especially in the MFSL.

CCF11062014_0000.jpg

Best sound quality and most dapper!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Angus & Julia Stone

Down The Way

It was recommended in one of the threads and was held up as a pearler.

For good reason. Straight out of the gates it's like mana from heaven for the ears.

Sounds incredible.

I picked up the French clear vinyl edition upon re-release.

Prior to the re-relese it was going for hundreds of dollars.

post-143858-0-10176400-1432385182_thumb.

Edited by audacity
  • Like 3

My vinyl is in the garage at the moment but from memory some great sounding albums would be....

US3 Hand on the torch

Toska Odeon

Fat freddys drop Big W

Kruder Dorfmeister K&D

Underword Dubbasswithmyheadman

Bob Marley Exodus

Linton Quesi Johnson

Jeez i am lying here and thinking that the majority of my collection sounds superb...... And i miss it.

• Like 1

A couple of weeks back I picked up a copy of REM's Murmur album; 2009 180g Back to Black copy.

I must say, even on my fairly meager system, it sounds fantastic. Very clear, uncluttered and precise.

Cant wait to hear it once I hook up the GS phono stage in a few weeks.

and how was it?

Hi Candyflip, I must admit I've only given it one spin since I got the Slee, however I'm also in the process of upgrading my cables-have one set of Vanderhul rca's installed from the Slee to the amp, and have ordered a set of turntable to pre rca's off Geoff from Aurealis, so, still waiting for proper burn in to occur with cables and Slee unit.

Also recently picked up the Beatles Red and Blue compilations from a mate, early 90's pressings, virtually unplayed from a boxset he had acquired. They both sound unreal, with great stereo separation, especially from the Red album. I'm guessing that this is more due to the minimalistic songs of their early recordings, and also the limitations of the recording technology of the time.

Gonna have to spin that Murmur album again...

Absolutely, the most stunning LP I have - which I used to show off my system to @@buddyev on Sunday - is a 45rpm LP, RCA RDCE4 ... Ikuyo Kamiya playing the "Appassionata" on a Bosendorfer Imperial.

Andy

Great recommendation Andy, picked this up the other week off ebay, without doubt the best I've heard recorded piano, if only they had done a few more of his Sonatas :(  

Great recommendation Andy, picked this up the other week off ebay, without doubt the best I've heard recorded piano, if only they had done a few more of his Sonatas :(

Excellent, David! Well done for finding it. :thumb:

Andy

Excellent, David! Well done for finding it. :thumb:

Andy

good timing and a bit of luck, & half the price of n/mint copies on Discogs :)

Was also interested in the MFSL Pictures at an Exhibition, have seen just the one and it went for $510 so I'll be sticking with the AP RCA re-issue (which sounds bloody good anyway)

I don't know why I say surprisingly, but surprisingly one of the best sounding lps I have is an Australian recorded and pressed album-Etched In Blue by John Schumann from 1987. It's even more surprising when you listen to Schumann's previous work with Redgum on which his voice is dreadfully etched and nasal and the couple of recordings I have of their work are harsh and unpleasant. 

It would mean nothing if the music on the album was no good but it is a great album musically as well as sonically.

Thanks , got an Ex Cond one for $10 on the weekend , I agree.

• Like 1

Great post!...impossible to pick just one so here is a list of some of my best sounding Lp's:

post-151915-0-42516000-1432765049_thumb.

Pink Floyd, The Wall (509990298813), 33rpm, edition with the sticker on the cover. Best sound quality of any edition of The Wall I've ever heard off.

post-151915-0-39394300-1432729145_thumb.

The Doors, LA Woman (APP 75011-45), 45rpm 200g Double LP, Quality Records Pressing, amazing quality in both the packaging and the the record itself. 

post-151915-0-20870600-1432729448_thumb.

The Dave Brubeck Quartet, Time Out (APJ 8192-45), 45rpm 200g Double LP, Quality Records Pressing, astonishing gatefold cover and it sounds unbelievable good!

Paul Desmond Sax is silky smooth, with a nice woody and full sound. One of the best. 

post-151915-0-38699400-1432729840_thumb.

Radiohead, Hail to the Thief (7243 5 84543 1 4), 45rpm 180g. It sounds amazing, unfortunately my copy is very warped.

post-151915-0-51015000-1432730422_thumb.

Grant Green, Idle Moments (AP 84154) 45rpm 200g Double LP, Analogue Production Blue Notes Series. Compared to the High Res download this one has a wider soundstage and overall a more balanced and relaxed sound.                                         

post-151915-0-43754700-1432765240_thumb.

The Three Blind Mice 45rpm Box (IMP 6022-45) Limited Box Set with 3 Double LP's of 3 amazing records of Japanese Jazz, one of the very best I have. This recording is simply brilliant.

post-151915-0-20357000-1432765112_thumb.

Tosca, j.a.c (!K7180) 33rpm 180g  Triple LP. 

post-151915-0-23270500-1432765098_thumb.

Beethoven, Sonate pour violon et piano en sol majeur "A Kreutzer" - Yehudi Menuhin, Wilhelm Kempff - Deutsche Grammophon(2530 135), 33rpm. One of the best sounding Violins I've heard in record.

I'll take another look of my collection to add a couple more.

cheers

Edited by jrivask
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Great post!...impossible to pick just one so here is a list of some of my best sounding Lp's:

attachicon.gif dave_brubeck_qua_4ffe4530b7ff6.jpg

The Dave Brubeck Quartet, Time Out (APJ 8192-45), 45rpm 200g Double LP, Quality Records Pressing, astonishing gatefold cover and it sounds unbelievable good!

Paul Desmond Sax is silky smooth, with a nice woody and full sound. One of the best. 

I'll take another look of my collection to add a couple more.

cheers

I have been trying to find the best possible copy of Time Out but there are so many conflicting reviews out there (case in point HERE).

Anyone got any suggestions?

Edited by audacity

I have been trying to find the best possible copy of Time Out but there are so many conflicting reviews out there (case in point HERE).

I've  got a copy of the Analogue Productions 200g 45rpm version and it sounds stunningly good.  Ask anyone who was at the recent phono shootout at Warren's place.  Feel free to drop around and hear it with your own ears.  Not sure it's the best sounding record in my collection, but it's right up there.

The Commitments, Original Soundtrack. German pressing from the early 90's (don't ask me details, I'm not at home at the moment). Picked it up for 7$ at a used record shop in Germany ages ago.

Not only is the music and the mix great, it sounds bloody fantastic! Especially the voices, drums and bass are crystal clear.

The_commitments-the_commitments.jpg

Any Transatlantic record any time of the day, but these two are especially good. Great detail on both, very clear, just wonderful.

cover_5559819112009.jpg

220px-TAWhirlwind.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have been trying to find the best possible copy of Time Out but there are so many conflicting reviews out there (case in point HERE).

I've got a copy of the Analogue Productions 200g 45rpm version and it sounds stunningly good. Ask anyone who was at the recent phono shootout at Warren's place. Feel free to drop around and hear it with your own ears. Not sure it's the best sounding record in my collection, but it's right up there.

I too own a copy of the Time Out 200g AP 45 rpm. It's the only one I have which sounds very close or slightly better than my other Music Matters Jazz 33 rpm releases imo. Definitely one of the best!

Edited by Y B

• 2 weeks later...

Single track masterpiece titled The Visitor by Jim O'Rourke. I enjoyed the flac I had kicking around, but a super speedy delivery from drag city of the vinyl edition blows the flac away, and most other items in my collection. There is a recommendation by the producer to "play back on speakers, loud". This made me think of organising a listen with @@andythiing.

post-141188-0-00885900-1437218707_thumb.

Edited by christosd
  • Like 2

Willie Nelson Stardust LP - 45 RPM version

Pink Floyd - Wish you were here - original CBS half speed master version

The WHO - Join Together - 3LP live box set

Marianne Faithful - Broken English - Original USA pressing [it was banned in Aus for years] the Aus version had "Why'd you do it" taken off the LP, and came with a additional 45 rpm with two re mix's of one of the songs instead, it also has a blue tinted album cover

post-103973-0-19294700-1437260109.jpg

Original album cover

post-103973-0-25822400-1437260144.jpg

Australian version