Sign in to follow this  
Soultone

PMC Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

Hi Magical,

Thanks for your comments, I have sent you a message, hope you received it and I look forward to your response.

On 26/09/2019 at 8:37 AM, magical said:

I'm pretty sure that Peter Thomas, CEO of PMC uses a full Bryston set to power his BB5's, at least thats what he said at the CES show in Vegas. 

I believe it was 4 power amp for each side, 1 each for the twetter, midrange, bass & sub, with active crossover. 

I could be wrong but I know thats their prefered setup, and what I was told.

Not sure if its been mentioned before , but I believe Peter's  current system is described in the following article  , with a few pics.

http://www.the-ear.net/how-to/ultimate-listening-room

I have been interested in PMC since 2014, and since then have not seen them recommend anything other than Bryston. Although they seem to be warming up to AVM.

Note that this does not mean that Plinius doesn't work well with them.

The cheapest new 60 wpc Bryston integrated amp is 8k. Then you would have people on this thread commentating that this would not be enough power for PMC speakers.

So you can't win.

The Plinius is 200wpc and costs less than 7k. The cost of a 200wpc or there abouts Bryston is out of reach of some people, especially this little black duck.

IT'S a moot point for me anyway, as l am more than happy with the sound of my Plinius. I'm betting that most knockers have not even heard a Plinius/PMC conbination.

Audiophile snobs would probably turn their nose up because it's made in NZ and not the UK or USA.🤫

1 hour ago, needlerunner said:

The cheapest new 60 wpc Bryston integrated amp is 8k. Then you would have people on this thread commentating that this would not be enough power for PMC speakers.

So you can't win.

The Plinius is 200wpc and costs less than 7k. The cost of a 200wpc or there abouts Bryston is out of reach of some people, especially this little black duck.

IT'S a moot point for me anyway, as l am more than happy with the sound of my Plinius. I'm betting that most knockers have not even heard a Plinius/PMC conbination.

Audiophile snobs would probably turn their nose up because it's made in NZ and not the UK or USA.🤫

Or Not at all - Plinius have a very good reputation. 

Or Not at all - Plinius have a very good reputation. 
Not according to some. But [emoji106]up to you for saying so.

16 hours ago, needlerunner said:

So you can't win.

Bryston is made in Canada as far as I know.

I think there is a misconception here. I have said from the beginning that PMC recommends Bryston, but this does not mean that I think Bryston is the best match, it just means PMC as a company prefers them. In fact I didn't like most Bryston systems I have heard in the past. The only one I did like was their 1KW mono block amplifiers, but driving Dynaudio speakers instead of PMC.

I am curious about hearing a Plinius one day.

4 hours ago, audio_file said:

Bryston is made in Canada as far as I know.

I think there is a misconception here. I have said from the beginning that PMC recommends Bryston, but this does not mean that I think Bryston is the best match, it just means PMC as a company prefers them. In fact I didn't like most Bryston systems I have heard in the past. The only one I did like was their 1KW mono block amplifiers, but driving Dynaudio speakers instead of PMC.

I am curious about hearing a Plinius one day.

Canada. Trump would say that is part of the Good Old USofA. If not probably try and buy it like Greenland haha.

I think, though not heard myself, that PMCs would sound great with most quality amps. I have nothing to compare with, as l have not heard them with any other amp. But l did give them a brief spin with my 70w Arcam(now sold) when l first got them, and thought they sounded great through that.

The Plinius though took it to an all new level. Won't be changing it anytime soon. Unless there is reliability issues. Which l have not heard of. At the moment everything is still running in. But every day it seems to sound better, and l just can't wait to play it.  I guess that's what is all about l think.

I recently heard an Acuphase Class A Integrated amp through some ProAc bookshelf speakers, and though that was pretty special.

There is a lot of great gear out there.

And l expext that you love your MA

Silver 500s, if my memory serves me correct?

5 minutes ago, needlerunner said:

There is a lot of great gear out there.

And l expext that you love your MA

Silver 500s, if my memory serves me correct?

I agree.

No that is not me, I have these three:

Cyrus CD Xt Signature, Stream X Signature, Pre2 DAC Qx, Stereo 200, Vienna Acoustics Beethoven baby grand SE

Naim CD5 XS, ND5 XS, Nait XS2, FlatCap XS, Spendor SP2/3R2

Linn Genki, Chord 2Qute, Musical Fidelity A3.2CR, ATC SCM 19

I sold my PMC Twenty.23, so perhaps I don't qualify for this group any more, but there is a chance I might try the Twenty5.23 or Twenty5.22 one day.

2 hours ago, audio_file said:

I agree.

No that is not me, I have these three:

Cyrus CD Xt Signature, Stream X Signature, Pre2 DAC Qx, Stereo 200, Vienna Acoustics Beethoven baby grand SE

Naim CD5 XS, ND5 XS, Nait XS2, FlatCap XS, Spendor SP2/3R2

Linn Genki, Chord 2Qute, Musical Fidelity A3.2CR, ATC SCM 19

I sold my PMC Twenty.23, so perhaps I don't qualify for this group any more, but there is a chance I might try the Twenty5.23 or Twenty5.22 one day.

Haha. Stuffed up again. Sorry mate, mistaken identity. Will bug me now to who l was thinking of.

Man, you have some great gear there mate. Great hobby isn't it.

I'm good for now, but maybe later, like you, might go up the PMC food chain. But before l cark it, would love to hear some Harbeths, Spendors and some ATCs, but the ATCs arn't the most attractive of speakers (probably the stands more so) But boy, they have a huge following and huge raps. But loving my PMC twenty.23s at the minute.

I could quite easily add Sonus Faber and ProAc to the list. As they say...one power ball.

25 minutes ago, needlerunner said:

Man, you have some great gear there mate. Great hobby isn't it.

I'm good for now, but maybe later, like you, might go up the PMC food chain. But before l cark it, would love to hear some Harbeths, Spendors and some ATCs, but the ATCs arn't the most attractive of speakers (probably the stands more so) But boy, they have a huge following and huge raps.

Thanks.

I quite like the look of my ATC SCM 19, they definitely have a unique sound.

Has anyone heard (or own) MB3-XBD-A or BB6-XBD-A models of PMC speakers?

They seem like they are a hell of of a speaker system. 

On 04/10/2019 at 9:48 PM, frankn said:

Has anyone heard (or own) MB3-XBD-A or BB6-XBD-A models of PMC speakers?

They seem like they are a hell of of a speaker system. 

I will be happy to have a chance to listen to this amazing cinema setup

Hi all,

Quick question for the PMC gurus here - what would you say is the minimum amplification required for the PMC Twenty5 21 or Twenty5 22s in a smallish room to moderate volumes (maybe 90dB max)? I occasionally see 30-200w bandied about, but when it comes down to it the advice from owners seems to be "all of the watts".

The reason I ask is that I'm planning to tuck away some money and treat myself to a new pair of speakers for my 40th, but I'm not sure if my Marantz PM8006 has what it takes to power the PMCs (70w into 8ohms).

Thoughts?

Edited by twofires

4 hours ago, twofires said:

Hi all,

Quick question for the PMC gurus here - what would you say is the minimum amplification required for the PMC Twenty5 21 or Twenty5 22s in a smallish room to moderate volumes (maybe 90dB max)? I occasionally see 30-200w bandied about, but when it comes down to it the advice from owners seems to be "all of the watts".

The reason I ask is that I'm planning to tuck away some money and treat myself to a new pair of speakers for my 40th, but I'm not sure if my Marantz PM8006 has what it takes to power the PMCs (70w into 8ohms).

Thoughts?

I think that PM8006 would be more than enough, especially for the 22.