Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Soultone

PMC Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

Hi Magical,

Thanks for your comments, I have sent you a message, hope you received it and I look forward to your response.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/09/2019 at 8:37 AM, magical said:

I'm pretty sure that Peter Thomas, CEO of PMC uses a full Bryston set to power his BB5's, at least thats what he said at the CES show in Vegas. 

I believe it was 4 power amp for each side, 1 each for the twetter, midrange, bass & sub, with active crossover. 

I could be wrong but I know thats their prefered setup, and what I was told.

 

Not sure if its been mentioned before , but I believe Peter's  current system is described in the following article  , with a few pics.

 

http://www.the-ear.net/how-to/ultimate-listening-room

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been interested in PMC since 2014, and since then have not seen them recommend anything other than Bryston. Although they seem to be warming up to AVM.

 

Note that this does not mean that Plinius doesn't work well with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


The cheapest new 60 wpc Bryston integrated amp is 8k. Then you would have people on this thread commentating that this would not be enough power for PMC speakers.

So you can't win.

 

The Plinius is 200wpc and costs less than 7k. The cost of a 200wpc or there abouts Bryston is out of reach of some people, especially this little black duck.

 

IT'S a moot point for me anyway, as l am more than happy with the sound of my Plinius. I'm betting that most knockers have not even heard a Plinius/PMC conbination.

 

Audiophile snobs would probably turn their nose up because it's made in NZ and not the UK or USA.🤫

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, needlerunner said:

The cheapest new 60 wpc Bryston integrated amp is 8k. Then you would have people on this thread commentating that this would not be enough power for PMC speakers.

So you can't win.

 

The Plinius is 200wpc and costs less than 7k. The cost of a 200wpc or there abouts Bryston is out of reach of some people, especially this little black duck.

 

IT'S a moot point for me anyway, as l am more than happy with the sound of my Plinius. I'm betting that most knockers have not even heard a Plinius/PMC conbination.

 

Audiophile snobs would probably turn their nose up because it's made in NZ and not the UK or USA.🤫

 Or Not at all - Plinius have a very good reputation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Or Not at all - Plinius have a very good reputation. 
Not according to some. But [emoji106]up to you for saying so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, needlerunner said:

The cheapest new 60 wpc Bryston integrated amp is 8k. Then you would have people on this thread commentating that this would not be enough power for PMC speakers.

So you can't win.

 

The Plinius is 200wpc and costs less than 7k. The cost of a 200wpc or there abouts Bryston is out of reach of some people, especially this little black duck.

 

IT'S a moot point for me anyway, as l am more than happy with the sound of my Plinius. I'm betting that most knockers have not even heard a Plinius/PMC conbination.

 

Audiophile snobs would probably turn their nose up because it's made in NZ and not the UK or USA.🤫

Bryston is made in Canada as far as I know.

 

I think there is a misconception here. I have said from the beginning that PMC recommends Bryston, but this does not mean that I think Bryston is the best match, it just means PMC as a company prefers them. In fact I didn't like most Bryston systems I have heard in the past. The only one I did like was their 1KW mono block amplifiers, but driving Dynaudio speakers instead of PMC.

 

I am curious about hearing a Plinius one day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


4 hours ago, audio_file said:

Bryston is made in Canada as far as I know.

 

I think there is a misconception here. I have said from the beginning that PMC recommends Bryston, but this does not mean that I think Bryston is the best match, it just means PMC as a company prefers them. In fact I didn't like most Bryston systems I have heard in the past. The only one I did like was their 1KW mono block amplifiers, but driving Dynaudio speakers instead of PMC.

 

I am curious about hearing a Plinius one day.

Canada. Trump would say that is part of the Good Old USofA. If not probably try and buy it like Greenland haha.

 

I think, though not heard myself, that PMCs would sound great with most quality amps. I have nothing to compare with, as l have not heard them with any other amp. But l did give them a brief spin with my 70w Arcam(now sold) when l first got them, and thought they sounded great through that.

 

The Plinius though took it to an all new level. Won't be changing it anytime soon. Unless there is reliability issues. Which l have not heard of. At the moment everything is still running in. But every day it seems to sound better, and l just can't wait to play it.  I guess that's what is all about l think.

 

I recently heard an Acuphase Class A Integrated amp through some ProAc bookshelf speakers, and though that was pretty special.

 

There is a lot of great gear out there.

And l expext that you love your MA

Silver 500s, if my memory serves me correct?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, needlerunner said:

There is a lot of great gear out there.

And l expext that you love your MA

Silver 500s, if my memory serves me correct?

I agree.

 

No that is not me, I have these three:

Cyrus CD Xt Signature, Stream X Signature, Pre2 DAC Qx, Stereo 200, Vienna Acoustics Beethoven baby grand SE

Naim CD5 XS, ND5 XS, Nait XS2, FlatCap XS, Spendor SP2/3R2

Linn Genki, Chord 2Qute, Musical Fidelity A3.2CR, ATC SCM 19

 

I sold my PMC Twenty.23, so perhaps I don't qualify for this group any more, but there is a chance I might try the Twenty5.23 or Twenty5.22 one day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, audio_file said:

I agree.

 

No that is not me, I have these three:

Cyrus CD Xt Signature, Stream X Signature, Pre2 DAC Qx, Stereo 200, Vienna Acoustics Beethoven baby grand SE

Naim CD5 XS, ND5 XS, Nait XS2, FlatCap XS, Spendor SP2/3R2

Linn Genki, Chord 2Qute, Musical Fidelity A3.2CR, ATC SCM 19

 

I sold my PMC Twenty.23, so perhaps I don't qualify for this group any more, but there is a chance I might try the Twenty5.23 or Twenty5.22 one day.

Haha. Stuffed up again. Sorry mate, mistaken identity. Will bug me now to who l was thinking of.

 

Man, you have some great gear there mate. Great hobby isn't it.

 

I'm good for now, but maybe later, like you, might go up the PMC food chain. But before l cark it, would love to hear some Harbeths, Spendors and some ATCs, but the ATCs arn't the most attractive of speakers (probably the stands more so) But boy, they have a huge following and huge raps. But loving my PMC twenty.23s at the minute.

 

I could quite easily add Sonus Faber and ProAc to the list. As they say...one power ball.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, needlerunner said:

Man, you have some great gear there mate. Great hobby isn't it.

 

I'm good for now, but maybe later, like you, might go up the PMC food chain. But before l cark it, would love to hear some Harbeths, Spendors and some ATCs, but the ATCs arn't the most attractive of speakers (probably the stands more so) But boy, they have a huge following and huge raps.

Thanks.

I quite like the look of my ATC SCM 19, they definitely have a unique sound.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Has anyone heard (or own) MB3-XBD-A or BB6-XBD-A models of PMC speakers?

They seem like they are a hell of of a speaker system. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/10/2019 at 9:48 PM, frankn said:

Has anyone heard (or own) MB3-XBD-A or BB6-XBD-A models of PMC speakers?

They seem like they are a hell of of a speaker system. 

 

I will be happy to have a chance to listen to this amazing cinema setup

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

 

Quick question for the PMC gurus here - what would you say is the minimum amplification required for the PMC Twenty5 21 or Twenty5 22s in a smallish room to moderate volumes (maybe 90dB max)? I occasionally see 30-200w bandied about, but when it comes down to it the advice from owners seems to be "all of the watts".

 

The reason I ask is that I'm planning to tuck away some money and treat myself to a new pair of speakers for my 40th, but I'm not sure if my Marantz PM8006 has what it takes to power the PMCs (70w into 8ohms).

 

Thoughts?

Edited by twofires

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, twofires said:

Hi all,

 

Quick question for the PMC gurus here - what would you say is the minimum amplification required for the PMC Twenty5 21 or Twenty5 22s in a smallish room to moderate volumes (maybe 90dB max)? I occasionally see 30-200w bandied about, but when it comes down to it the advice from owners seems to be "all of the watts".

 

The reason I ask is that I'm planning to tuck away some money and treat myself to a new pair of speakers for my 40th, but I'm not sure if my Marantz PM8006 has what it takes to power the PMCs (70w into 8ohms).

 

Thoughts?

I think that PM8006 would be more than enough, especially for the 22.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By yannakout
      Hi all, I am currently investigating stand mount speakers.
      I have listened to:
      Krix esoterix altum
      Dynaudio (multiple pairs) special 40 etc etc
      PMC 25.22
      Qaccoustics c300
      totem signature
      preference order (1st Krix esoterix, 2nd PMC, 3rd tie Qaccoustic + totem, 4th dynaudio)

      Want to listen to:
      Buchardt s400
      ATC SCM19
      Harbeth 30.1
      + any others people may recommend 

      I have a budget ceiling of $5000 and the Krix are well above this unfortunately. 
      If anyone has any insight or recommendations that could be awesome, or even if you're in Sydney and friendly enough to allow me to audition.

      I am not a bass head (dont listen to EDM or HIpHop) More into natural sounding timbre, great sounding vocals and imaging (sucker for a sweat midrange). 
      I also don't want the speaker to sound (small). Qaccoustics really excelled here, sounded like a large floor stander.

       
    • By engineer
      Item: PMC Twenty5.26 speakers
      Location: SYDNEY
      Price: $8990
      Item Condition: BRAND NEW - UNOPENED / SEALED BOX
      Reason for selling: RAISING FUNDS FOR UPGRADE
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:
       
      PMC Twenty5.26 in best finish - Walnut.
       
      BRAND NEW  - UNOPENED / SEALED BOXES.
       
      PRICED TO SELL! (RRP $14990)
       
      These speakers are well known in the audiophile arena on how special they are. They have an amazing open soundstage and are second to none in terms of transparency, pace, imaging and dynamics. They have an incredible ability that tells you so much about the music and sound so open and right.
       
      PMCs 3 ways speaker designs are definitely are major and mammoth step up from there 2 way designs. This speaker is a true representation of the PMC house sound.
       
      Selling due to upgrade bug (as I have also convinced my partner)
       
      Can arrange pickup, drop off locally in Sydney or can post Australia Wide (at buyers cost).
       
      Purchased from Lifestyle Store.
       
      Any queries please feel free to contact me.



    • By engineer
      Item: PMC Twenty5.26 speakers
      Location: SYDNEY
      Price: $8990
      Item Condition: BRAND NEW - UNOPENED / SEALED BOX
      Reason for selling: RAISING FUNDS FOR UPGRADE
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:
       
       
      PMC Twenty5.26 in best finish - Walnut.
       
      BRAND NEW  - UNOPENED / SEALED BOXES.
       
      PRICED TO SELL! (RRP $14990)
       
      Firstly, I love these speakers. When I first heard them, I totally fell in love. They have an amazing open soundstage and are second to none in terms of transparency, pace, imaging and dynamics. They have an incredible ability that tells you so much about the music. Hence the reason why this model is so very well known in the audiophile community.
       
      The upgrade bug has now totally hit me and now have the opportunity to upgrade. I have also kinda convinced my partner so need to sell before she changes her mind)
       
      Can arrange pickup, drop off locally in Sydney or can post Australia Wide (at buyers cost).
       
      Purchased from Lifestyle Store.
       
      Any queries please feel free to contact me.
       
      Photos:
       




    • By Bikkitz
      Item: PMC Twenty.22 Walnut Speakers
      Location: Brisbane
      Price: $1850
      Item Condition: Very good
      Reason for selling: Upgraded to newer model
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal
      Extra Info: PMC Twenty.22 speakers in walnut finish. I am the second owner, selling as I've purchased a pair of Twenty5.22s in oak.
       
      A main reason for changing was aesthetic as neither my wife or I liked the Walnut finish (which doesn't match with anything else we have). Before deciding to purchase Twenty5.22 I auditioned a number of other speakers at home including Monitor Audio Silver 300s and Gold 100s. Both of these were priced above $3000 and in my opinion were not in the same class as the PMC Twenty.22 (which admittedly retailed for approx $4500 when new). You likely won't get a comparable or better speaker new for less than $4000.
       
      If it wasn't for the walnut finish, I'd have likely kept these speakers for a long time. They have a high sensitivity and are easy to drive however I've read they improve with high power output amps. I ran them on a Marantz KI Pearl Lite and was very happy with their sound.
       
      Full specs available on the PMC website: https://pmc-speakers.com/products/archive/archive/twenty22
       
      The speakers have been very well looked after apart from a small scratch on the underside of one of the speakers as shown in the pictures. For a time they were placed directly on our entertainment cabinet (before I purchased stands) - to stop the cabinet and the speakers vibrating I attached small adhesive pads to the underside of the speakers. These can be removed if necessary, however I've left them on as they may be useful to the next buyer.
       
      Supplied in original box and packaging. Can post with Australia Post, happy to provide a quote on request.
       
      Photos:

       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       





×
×
  • Create New...