Sign in to follow this  
Soultone

PMC Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

On 24/10/2018 at 9:49 PM, synthz said:

It's been sitting in this Northline courier depot. There were a lot of issues with Grays Online and their chosen courier company, they don't talk to each other.

I had the same problem with Gray's/Northline Couriers delivering my PMC Twenty. 24's. Over a month! I thought I've been had. Finally arrived and it was worth the wait. Excellent speakers paired with a Hegel H300. I don't think I can achieve better. Back listening to music rather than trying to pick what is missing.

On 21/08/2019 at 2:34 PM, needlerunner said:

Hi folks.

Decided to give bi-wiring ago.
Bought some bi-wire speaker cables from a lovely fella from SNA over the weekend.
They are still in transit. But am looking forward to see what they might bring to the party.

So as you know, l have a pair of twenty.23s.

What are other people's experience with bi-wiring. Will it be a subtly improvement, or more.

I found by just adding speaker jumpers improved the sound a good deal. So I'm expecting more from bi-wiring. They are used, but will they still need burning in?
Seeing that they are going into another system.

Interested to hear other people thoughts. But prefer it from people that have tried this experiment and their experience.

Cheers.

I recently picked up a pair of Osborn datalink cables on SNA for my twenty.22's which are my first set of bi-wire cables. Really happy with the results. Granted, they are a "better" set of cables than what I was using but I have noticed a great improvement, almost like I've freed them. Whether that is the better quality cable or bi-wiring I don't know, previously I was just using the factory jumper bar.

1 hour ago, budy said:

I had the same problem with Gray's/Northline Couriers delivering my PMC Twenty. 24's. Over a month! I thought I've been had. Finally arrived and it was worth the wait. Excellent speakers paired with a Hegel H300. I don't think I can achieve better. Back listening to music rather than trying to pick what is missing.

Congratulations budy. Another happy little PMC camper.

A month to deliver. That's a bit rich.

Mine took 7 days through Toll Couriers.

Were they new or second hand. Not familiar with Gray's.

Anyway, keep us posted. This site goes through long periods of stagnation.😀

On 16/08/2019 at 11:58 AM, Andpi said:

Very much agree needlerunner, they have been pretty good to me in all my dealings with them. 

And yes, if it wasn't for their help with my PMC deal I couldn't even consider that awesome pair of speakers I am looking forward to. Special thanks to Magnus, Nick and Rab. 

Hi andpi.

Got your speakers yet. I'm thinking not, or you would be spruking long and hard. When are they arriving.

Just to rub it in, mine are sounding better everyday. 😍

25 minutes ago, oneflewnorth said:

I recently picked up a pair of Osborn datalink cables on SNA for my twenty.22's which are my first set of bi-wire cables. Really happy with the results. Granted, they are a "better" set of cables than what I was using but I have noticed a great improvement, almost like I've freed them. Whether that is the better quality cable or bi-wiring I don't know, previously I was just using the factory jumper bar.

I know what you mean. I am hearing a big improvement. 

My expression was "smooth out the small rough edges. Yours is more apt, "freed them up". That's it in a nut shell.

I know some people advocate that a good quality single is better than a average quality bi-cable of similar cost. And l agree. But l wonder what a good quality bi-wire setup of a same cooperative quality as the single would bring.

Can't help thinking that the twenty's were set up for bi-wiring for a reason.

Anyway, I'm happy with my little experiment.

Cheers

1 hour ago, needlerunner said:

Can't help thinking that the twenty's were set up for bi-wiring for a reason.

Maybe, then again PMC decided to remove Bi-Wiring capability from the Twenty5 series.

1 hour ago, needlerunner said:

I know some people advocate that a good quality single is better than a average quality bi-cable of similar cost. And l agree. But l wonder what a good quality bi-wire setup of a same cooperative quality as the single would bring.

If you do this experiment for yourself, I suggest you make sure the single cable is double calibre compared to each separate bi-wire component for it to be a fair comparison since one basically has double the cross-sectional area otherwise. I've done this experiment myself, and the two cables were indistinguishable.

The reason there are options for bi-wiring speakers is in the unlikely event you have the budget for separate amplifiers for each component. The reasoning got confused along with so many other cable discussions where things end up in science-free opinion-land where people insist it sounds better bi-wired to the same amp. Scientifically speaking, there's actually a reason that would sound worse than just using a double calibre cable that goes to both terminals, but it's very fine print and unlikely to be audible.

1 hour ago, audio_file said:

Maybe, then again PMC decided to remove Bi-Wiring capability from the Twenty5 series.

True. I guess we will never know.

I for one won't be spending any more money to find out testing the theory. Don't think l can better the sound much more with cables anyway.

Heading in another direction and see if l can improve the sound of my tt with a Mofi weight. That will probably start an whole new debate.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Ittaku said:

If you do this experiment for yourself, I suggest you make sure the single cable is double calibre compared to each separate bi-wire component for it to be a fair comparison since one basically has double the cross-sectional area otherwise. I've done this experiment myself, and the two cables were indistinguishable.

The reason there are options for bi-wiring speakers is in the unlikely event you have the budget for separate amplifiers for each component. The reasoning got confused along with so many other cable discussions where things end up in science-free opinion-land where people insist it sounds better bi-wired to the same amp. Scientifically speaking, there's actually a reason that would sound worse than just using a double calibre cable that goes to both terminals, but it's very fine print and unlikely to be audible.

I could see how that would work.

Not sure if the additional cost of that would gain you much more in sound quality. But then perhaps it does.

Same old, hey.

Like with anything in this hobby, it would have both it's advocates and detractors. 

Me, I'm going to stop (try to) tweaking and concentrate on just the music. FLW.

Hi I’m running PMC 25:23 floorstanders but they are quite small. Very easy to place and great sound.
Ditto.

The PMC owners thread is an invaluable source of knowledge and information.

I made my decision to buy a pair of PMCs based on information l gleamed from that site.

Couldn't be happier. Brilliant speakers.

On 27/08/2019 at 10:03 PM, needlerunner said:

Ditto.

The PMC owners thread is an invaluable source of knowledge and information.

Just messaged a mod about this ;) 

On 16/04/2015 at 3:29 PM, audioaddict78 said:

Blakey,

Got a pair of PMC TB2i and I love 'em. PMC bass, due to transmission line, is unique - fast, tuneful, unforced, musical, uncongested, and can reach low. They have huge sound-stage when positioned proper, i.e. wide apart, just a little toe in, they disappear. Very musical, also find them natural sounding across the entire frequency range, little on the warmer side. They pair very well with the Luxman amp I have, actually it's a perfect match. Recently bi-wired them and found they improved.

Blaine

I've sold numerous pairs of TB2's ant it's one of those speakers I really enjoyed selling.  I'd know I've sold somemone a pair of speakers that they can enjoy for years. 

Since pmc had re-released their little DB1's it comes to mind, arn't they a perfect little speaker for to study???  I sold Stereophilus his MB2's ( I think I've sold more pairs if these than anyone else in Australia and I'm very proud of that), long process but lots of fun, though i think I'd prefer listening to Holst's the Planets rather than the Gladiator soundtrack(inside joke their folks). 

On 18/04/2015 at 1:34 PM, Pulse-R said:

Was reasonably impressed when I auditioned them a few years back.

The individual drivers' sound was exquisite, but let down by the built-in crossovers, and the slightly loose tuning on the TL trying to play too low.

Overall, pretty good though.

Love love love the Ob1's.  I agree the crossover could be improves but at least they avoid graphite core inductors like so many english speakers. Caps also are a bit ordinary. 

I looked at the Krix crossover from their high model speak, and my reponce was -you want us to display that? Anyone who knows anthing about Electronics will laugh at it. It uses the cheapest chinese Benics caps with all cheap, nasty ferrite core inductors, just horrible. 

Ah well cutting the profit margin is what it's about. 

On 13/08/2019 at 10:43 PM, needlerunner said:

Hey mate. Thanks for asking.

The speakers have done around 80 hours and sounding better every day. Sound nothing like it when l first plugged them in. I was always a bit skeptical about break in/run in for components. But my experience has blown that myth out the water.

Have spent a lot of time with placement, and have found a compromise I'm happy with. I say compromise, because l have them only 18" of the wall. Would ideally love at least a metre. But alas, no more room. Got them toed in an inch. To me they sound really great now. Bass is great, vocals are crystal clear, plenty of height and depth.

Sound stage is pretty good, but at 5', could do with going to 6 to 8 feet, again though no room. Would put one speaker near a wall and the other would have a bookcase in front of it. So this is as good as it gets.

Love the Plinius. As good synergy with the rest of the system. The thing l like most is that on very low volume, Everything is clear and well pronounced.

I really jagged it considering that l had not heard the amp or the speakers, buying both blind. But mate couldn't be happier. Everything worked out really well.

Cheers

Do try your speakers with some differant amp, I've  sold & seviced plinius amp since 1999. Head rech says built like a rock, sounds like mud. Try a few different amp's as I did and you may be supprised.

Brett. 

On 15/09/2019 at 7:07 AM, blakey72 said:

Just messaged a mod about this ;) 

The right thing to do. I gave you no choice. 

15 hours ago, magical said:

Do try your speakers with some differant amp, I've  sold & seviced plinius amp since 1999. Head rech says built like a rock, sounds like mud. Try a few different amp's as I did and you may be supprised.

Brett. 

Doesn't sound like mud to me.