Soultone

PMC Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

I have always had my eye on the PMCs after hearing them in action under the twenty 23 guise.  I recently given the opportunity to home demo the twenty 5.23 and I love the clear mid range and the separation that the speakers shows so clearly, however doesn't carry the same weight that my Dynaudio Focus 160 had in the same room.   

Now I am wondering if moving up the line to the 24 will bridge that 'lean' gap or even better do you think the older model 24 will hit the spot. there is a pair of the old model available for sale at a much cheaper price. 

Appreciate any thoughts.

Edited by NcA

sorry everyone I thought I had put this under the PMC owners thread and am not sure how to move it now.

I find it quite surprising that the Focus 160's had more bottom end than the Twenty5.23's.

From what I have read (and heard) the newer Twenty5 series has much improved low end output compared to the older Twenty series due to the advancements with the transmission line technology PMC use, specifically Laminair.

I am currently running a pair of Twenty5.24's and never really find them wanting for bass. In conjunction with my Devialet amplification and SAM, they get down very low. 

What sort of amplification did you use with the Twenty5.23's when you auditioned them?

I am demoing them at home so using the same gear as for the Dyns.  I use an Audio Research DS450.   The 23 definitely has well defined bass, but just not as much weight if that makes sense.  I suppose the 24 is a much bigger unit than the 23 and thought it would bridge the gap.

The DS450 seems like more than enough power for the PMCs.

Something else I just realised is that the Twenty5.23's utilise a 5.5" mid/woofer versus the 6.5" found on the Twenty5.24's as well as the Focus 160's. 

Strangely enough, the standmount Twenty5.22's also use a 6.5" driver.

So I'd definitely say the Twenty5.23 is a little on the smaller side for a floordstanding speaker.

This could also account for the reduced bass that you are experiencing in your room. 

Do you find that your 24 give the same great mid range 

and detail as the 23? Wondering if I should stump up now and not regret it later.......though most online reviews appear to focus on the 23.

I haven't heard the Twenty5.23's myself but have heard the 22's and I find the midrange is very similar in character. 

The 24's are also a bit easier to drive as they are 89db vs the 86.5db on the 23's. 

If you have the budget I'd suggest going for the 24's.

Got the 24. They certainly address the bass issues! Great speaker

47 minutes ago, NcA said:

Got the 24. They certainly address the bass issues! Great speaker

Congratulations NcA, they're an engaging listen which you're going to enjoy even more once run in. 

Awesome! Glad to hear about the happy outcome 😁

Can anyone suggest some in-ceiling speakers for Dolby atmos duty that would go with a ob1. Cb6. Db1, tle 1 5.1 surround system?  Their wafers are way over budget, I’m thinking $500 to $1500 as it’s really just for atmos.

I used to have both the PMC Twenty.23 and Dynaudio Contour S1.4 LE at the same time and also demoed the Dynaudio Focus 160 and PMC Twenty.24 on my system.

Firstly my 23s didn't have nearly the amount of bass in the beginning as later on, they gain some bass after the run in period, which is worth considering if you can find out how much those 23s have played so far.

I have not heard the Twenty5 series, but I have heard the 22, 23, and 24 in the Twenty series and due to similar size and forms I suspect the same sort of differences.

To me the SPL and especially the level at which it can play strong bass is higher on both 22 and 24 than on the 23, but the balance between the bass and mid range is different. The 22 sounds leaner and the 23 and 24 much weightier in the bass. This means at low to medium volume you should get the same sort of bass weight from the 23 as from the 24, but it won't be able to match the 24 at high volume.

The mid range to treble balance is also different, possibly due to a different crossover, different driver impedance, and/or the smaller driver integrating better with the tweeter because of driver dispersion. The treble sounds more open on the 22 and 24, but more balanced and cohesive on the 23.

The Focus 160 didn't have as good mid range as the PMCs in my opinion, but the Contour S1.4 LE did. Both these Dynaudios had bags of bass weight, but were more dependent on the room than the PMCs. In an open space with at least 1m behind them, they would more or less match the PMC floor standers, perhaps slightly stronger for the LE, but when placed say 70cm from a back wall, they thunder and the bass overpowers everything on the Dynaudios. They sound too light with the plugs in the ports, so I'd say they either need semi plugs for the ports, or a large space behind them. The PMCs didn't change nearly as much when moving further or closer to a back wall.

Hi Have a pair of PMC 25.23 and looking at my next integrated amp. currently running a Roksan Caspian love the energy and rhythm it brings to the speakers but looking for an extra level of detail thinking either a Naim Supernait 2

Bryston B135

anyone have any experience with this amps and the PMCs?

Well after two+ years of being without my TB2s+'s they are back. If you didn't here one of my mid/woofers blew, no idea how just stopped working. I ordered a pair of new ones from Interdyne (Australian distributer) last October.

They told me PMC don't sell that particular driver anymore so they would have to make up some new units in UK and ship them over. They are a slightly different design and different material.

So installed the new drivers, hooked them up to my Sansui Alpha 907 amp and began playing. I noticed a speaker terminal screw was loose so pulled the cable (positive) out to tighten it. I thought 'I don't need to turn the amp off I'm only pulling one cable out'. Bad mistake!

The negative flung out hitting the positive and bang goes the amp. Blue smoke/smell, oh crap. Anyway that's another story. So to replace it in goes the Sansui AU-4900. 37w/ch of Japanese honey. 

Soooo the PMC's sounded pretty crap and still sound pretty crap after 10 or so hours. I know they will improve given another 40-50 hours so I'm not worried. I can hear the bass is just too tight and restricted atm. I put Metallica 'one' on and the poor things nearly had a heart attack keeping up with the bass guitar. Sorry guy's, a little too soon. 

Anyway here's some pics.

20200210_125341.thumb.jpg.f8bfdc6beb2441447b684e5ff3949415.jpg

20200210_125347.thumb.jpg.ebc5e08013e218ce2dce2e5907c0a54e.jpg

20200210_125551.thumb.jpg.55e88afae15c02290e19f71ab487bc30.jpg

20200210_125629.thumb.jpg.f3655b54baa388ad0474e4ad0e9583ce.jpg

Old original driver.

20200210_131025.thumb.jpg.d6d4bac1671536aa07f8f21dc1b00f51.jpg20200210_131101.thumb.jpg.03c63e973b8dc26cb71552c66109dfad.jpg

New drivers.

20200210_131031.thumb.jpg.338f93b7f59b012298934b25c42f469f.jpg

20200210_131106.thumb.jpg.196ac93abdf65a2a0615b08eb12af65b.jpg

Comparison of the two.

20200210_131041.thumb.jpg.d426c11dddbb07caa012672fbae64c03.jpg

20200210_131110.thumb.jpg.b741af33a1f0ea4df11376125c75151a.jpg

20200210_131127.thumb.jpg.31c5ced65167ef7902af7e0920364d09.jpg

20200210_131145.thumb.jpg.9e271c8ffe825576fb808dd00b41d519.jpg

20200210_131207.thumb.jpg.69b2496169b667128e89ab741b394abc.jpg

20200210_131158.thumb.jpg.0278724dc1b5b086a882473f105e9651.jpg

Sorry, lots of pics. I like looking at pics. If you don't I apologise. 

Jeez you had some rough luck. Hope things pick up mate. 👍

Hi All,

twenty5.26

recently listened to a pair of twenty5.26‘s and absolutely loved them so much I am going eventually to grab a pair. 

can anyone recommend an amplifier preferably integrated?

Also interested if there is a similar speaker recomendation so that I can be sure my due diligence has been thorough. 

Thanks

18 minutes ago, Nstat said:

Hi All,

twenty5.26

recently listened to a pair of twenty5.26‘s and absolutely loved them so much I am going eventually to grab a pair. 

Also interested if there is a similar speaker recomendation so that I can be sure my due diligence has been thorough. 

Thanks

I think thers another thread along these lines somerwhere.  I heard these last July with a primare  amp, cant remember the model and really enjoyed them, then heard them with some really expensive electrocompanient monoblocks and didnt enjoy them at all

20 hours ago, Nstat said:

Hi All,

twenty5.26

Thanks

What kind of budget were you thinking? Second hand ok?

Second hand is fine.

5-10k

Not familiar with what will be available in Brisbane, but I may add the ones below.  I am using Hegel with PMC and sounds great to me.  I have used Rega (lower model) with PMC and also very good.  I have not personally heard Devialet and Vitus with PMC, but many other audiophiles online use these amps too.   I would say at your budget, there is no shortage of excellent integrated amp, it is more up to yourself what 'sound' you like most out of all the choices, not to mention cables to a certain degree may also assist with fine tuning to some aspects. 

- Hegel 360, 390, 590

- Rega Osiris

- Devialet Expert 200

- maybe also Vitus RI-100?

Thanks I really appreciate all of your suggestions.

On 19/03/2020 at 12:11 PM, Nstat said:

Hi All,

twenty5.26

Thanks

I heard last year PMC 25.23 with Marantz, Moon, Rega, Primare, Devialet and Mcintosh. I really liked Primare, followed by Devialet and Rega.  

PMC with Primare has extreme level of details.

Competition with speakers, hard to say, maybe Focal electra 1028. 

On 19/03/2020 at 12:11 PM, Nstat said:

Hi All,

twenty5.26

Thanks

Try Primare Pre/Amp combo a35.2/Pre35, I got this combo  for myself after home demo of them verus Devialet Expert Pro 140. At similar rrp prices or cheaper without DAC module, the 200wpc /8 ohms modern-design class D amplifier blew the Expert Pro 140 ~ 120wpc in term of power, dynamics and system synergy.

https://www.hifinews.com/content/primare-pre35a352-networked-prepower-amp

I sold my McIntosh ma252 as it is not able to handle the low of pmc25.26 with 100wpc. The Devialet handles bass weight better than McIntosh ma252 but it is not as impressed as the Primare.

try home demo if you can

Edited by ikhuong

Thanks for that. I currently run 6 x 150w D class amplifiers in my Dynaudio 400XD's active speakers. I quite like the transparency but on some lower grade recordings it can quite harsh. I happy that someone has recommended D class as I believe from a logical point of view the Transition line characteristics of the PMC"s would be enhanced by a D class amp. 

I would be interested in other opinions regarding compatibility of D class amplification and the Transmission line amplification characteristics of PMC speakers?

Thanks