Soultone

PMC Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

Here's a few pics. Not good quality, sorry.

post-110116-0-69071300-1432532503_thumb.

post-110116-0-97059100-1432532565_thumb.

post-110116-0-46749100-1432533032_thumb.

Blake.

I have a pair of very badly set up and fed (Sonos) TB2s in the kitchen which I expect will still be there in 20 years time.  (Mine are domestic walnut, not like Blake's industrial ones)  It's such an appalling room for slap echo that it's remarkable I can hear anything. But they give a good all round account of everything from hip hop to tango to the living tombstone that I no complain.

I hanker for a pair of the MB2 family.  But the house isn't big enough, fortunately for my wedded state.  Heard 'em at the audio show a couple of years back and they punch in a good way.

Should say I spose that I like transmission lines: the kid is minding a pair of TDL RTL3s for me, and always liked IMF too.

Edited by k-k-k-kenny

Blakey,

Got a pair of PMC TB2i and I love 'em. PMC bass, due to transmission line, is unique - fast, tuneful, unforced, musical, uncongested, and can reach low. They have huge sound-stage when positioned proper, i.e. wide apart, just a little toe in, they disappear. Very musical, also find them natural sounding across the entire frequency range, little on the warmer side. They pair very well with the Luxman amp I have, actually it's a perfect match. Recently bi-wired them and found they improved.

Blaine

Do you Bi Wire your Lux using A+B speakers, I found this made a massive difference to the Kef R300

I have a pair of DB1's and am trying to find a pair of the wall brackets /mounts. Does anyone have a pair for sale?

Was just looking at HappyDogs pics and spotted his Rel T5's....just got a pair of these myself and wow what a difference. My little DB1's are now in serious competition with my Sonus Faber grand pianos!

Deleted thread

Edited by blakey72

Now running Exposure 2010 with PMC's. Pure match made in heaven!

The Twenty series is really amazing.

When I was in Singapore (Adelphi Plaza), the salesman from the Focal store told me in his honest opinion, none of their Electra BE speakers could compete with the PMC Twenty line. I listened to a few and I had to agree. I do like them Utopia BEs though.

Still trying to offload my Twenty.24's...

Here's my current set up.

I had an issue with a loose binding post, so I had need to eviscerate the right speaker.  Easy to fix fortunately, but also gave me an opportunity to photograph the crossover for anyone interested:

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

On 09/06/2015 at 9:10 PM, DutchNote said:

I have a pair of DB1's and am trying to find a pair of the wall brackets /mounts. Does anyone have a pair for sale?

Maybe. They are TB2S+'s though.

On 14/04/2017 at 8:00 PM, Stereophilus said:

I had an issue with a loose binding post, so I had need to eviscerate the right speaker.  Easy to fix fortunately, but also gave me an opportunity to photograph the crossover for anyone interested:

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

Are you in the rat by any chance?

Oh running Plinius 9200 with PMC's now

I listened to the twenty5.22 and twenty5.23 in my looking around for new speakers. The 22 blew my socks off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, blakey72 said:

Are you in the rat by any chance?

Yes, I am.  PM me if you want to catch up.

Finally got a good quality digital source for my PMC Twotwo 8's and the SQ is very good! Auralic Aries Mini into Singxer SU-1 then AES into the monitors. Using the PMC RC1 remote for volume control. Just got some great custom steel stands for them as well. 

IMG_6845.JPG

IMG_6847.JPG

Edited by Jonny

On 4/14/2017 at 6:00 PM, Stereophilus said:

IMG_0013.JPG

On 4/14/2017 at 6:00 PM, Stereophilus said:

I see space for a turntable there!

Hello All,

I am new to this forum.

I would like to know where I can buy a pair of used but in excellent condition PMC mb2se speakers or the BB5 model?

What is a fair price for these speakers?

Also, what amp would be a good match for these speakers.? What is a fair price for the amp?

Interested in hearing from people who have own these models and what amp and cable they used with these speakers.

Like to know from owners what they think of the sound from these model speakers and how well it perform with your choosen amp?

Also what is a good sub woofer for these speakers if one is needed?

Thank you in advance.

I spent a lovely day with them hooked up to a Rega Osiris amp. Brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Antuan Phantom said:

Hello All,

I am new to this forum.

I would like to know where I can buy a pair of used but in excellent condition PMC mb2se speakers or the BB5 model?

Also, what amp would be a good match for these speakers.? What is a fair price for the amp?

Interested in hearing from people who have own these models and what amp and cable they used with these speakers.

Like to know from owners what they think of the sound from these model speakers and how well it perform with your choosen amp?

Thank you in advance.

The Lifestyle Store have these models on sale, I reckon it'll be hard to find a used pair in Australia. Bryston amps would be a good match, considering they've paired them with their speakers for years. PMC have a bunch of active and passive subs on the website. 

11 hours ago, Antuan Phantom said:

Hello All,

I am new to this forum.

Thank you in advance.

The MB2se's are a fairly expensive speaker.  I got mine when the aussie dollar was high - paid $25k new.  They now retail for around $35k I believe (the tyrrany of the AUD being much lower, and some inflation).  Because of this, I dont think you're gonna find them under $18k second hand.  If you can find any second hand at all that is.  I really like my pair, and I'd assume most other owners are pretty happy with theirs too.  Your best hope might be finding an ex-demo pair from a Hifi retailer.

In regards to the best amps for the MB2se's and how they sound, I'll refer you this thread:

We compared a few different amps on the day, and each have advantages/disadvantages.  To get the most out of the bass, you probably need a solid state amp.  And if you do that, you dont need a subwoofer imo.

In regards to cables, I've tried quite a few as well.  The Nordost cables were good, but the Argento Flow that I currently use are better than anything else I've previously heard.

@Stereophilus have you found the Mola Mola to be a significant improvement over the Audio Research? ( assuming that's a pair of monos there)

12 hours ago, mtf said:

@Stereophilus have you found the Mola Mola to be a significant improvement over the Audio Research? ( assuming that's a pair of monos there)

Yes, those are the Kaluga monoblocks.  They are at the opposite end of the spectrum to the AR ref 150.  The Kalugas have ridiculously good bass control, which is really noticeable on the big PMC's.  The Kaluga's are also very low colouration.  The AR ref 150 was smooth and rich (something the Kalugas don't even pretend to do), but not very extended in the bass or the high frequencies.  Ultimately, it was the weakness in bass that lead me to look elsewhere.

On 6/29/2017 at 0:20 PM, Stereophilus said:

The MB2se's are a fairly expensive speaker.  I got mine when the aussie dollar was high - paid $25k new.  They now retail for around $35k I believe (the tyrrany of the AUD being much lower, and some inflation).  Because of this, I dont think you're gonna find them under $18k second hand.  If you can find any second hand at all that is.  I really like my pair, and I'd assume most other owners are pretty happy with theirs too.  Your best hope might be finding an ex-demo pair from a Hifi retailer.

In regards to the best amps for the MB2se's and how they sound, I'll refer you this thread:

We compared a few different amps on the day, and each have advantages/disadvantages.  To get the most out of the bass, you probably need a solid state amp.  And if you do that, you dont need a subwoofer imo.

In regards to cables, I've tried quite a few as well.  The Nordost cables were good, but the Argento Flow that I currently use are better than anything else I've previously heard.

Hi. Just wondering where you got your Argento Flow cables from?