Soultone

PMC Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

15 hours ago, audio_file said:

I suspect listening to that would be a memorable event.

Any reason you stuck your sound panels in a diamond pattern rather than parallel with the floor?

Weed.

Serious edit,  because the way i saw it the sound is projected towards the centre of the back wall where i sit, so i figured it bounced back to the front centre.. The room is heavily treated due to materials used on construction. Best 

Mind you I am a computer nerd, not a scientist

Edited by sjay
You guys have no sense of humour. SO i answered it properly

The rig is changed up at the moment as I am about to ship my Ayre MX-R mono blocks off for a board upgrade in Melbourne.

Listening to more of the black stuff of late as well. Current TT setup is a Rega p9 with RB1000 and Ortofon Jubilee.

Also added a Herron VTPH-2a phono stage a while back. Such a lovely stage, you can read more on it here;

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/herron-vtph-2a-review.757256/

6 minutes ago, sjay said:

The rig is changed up at the moment as I am about to ship my Ayre MX-R mono blocks off for a board upgrade in Melbourne.

Twenty upgrade?? You will L.O.V.E. it!

FYI, Richard Vandersteen said the best amps he has heard with his Vandersteen Sevens, besides his own amps, are the Ayre MXR-20's! Pretty cool considering he would have heard a LOT of amps over the past 11 years since he released the Sevens! :)

Thinking of some quality jumpers for my twenty.23. Seems to be some conjecture on it being worthwhile.

At the moment I'm using the same jumper cable as my speaker cable. Which is Chord Clearway.

Some l have been looking at on line are hellish expensive. So my question dear readers. Can l better what I've got? And if so can anyone recommend anyone that makes them, preferably with spade terminals, as l think they maybe better than banana plugs? Can't see the sence in paying more for jumpers than what the speaker cables are worth.

Thought l was done with upgrades and tweaking. Whom l kidding. Only last week l ordered some new interconnects for the new turntable from the good old USA.
GOT CAUGHT OUT there. They were advertised on eBay for only $39A direct from the manufacturer. Trouble once you pay the exchange rate, import tax, GST and their ridiculous shipping cost, it worked out at $133aus. Afterwards l found a pair on Fishpond for $115 Aus, free delivery. Suppose not to much out of pocket then.

Same with CDs and vinyl. A lot cheaper going via the UK. The Brexit thing could stuff that up though.

1 minute ago, needlerunner said:

At the moment I'm using the same jumper cable as my speaker cable. Which is Chord Clearway.

Some l have been looking at on line are hellish expensive. So my question dear readers. Can l better what I've got?

That should be good, don't bother with others.

Time to add a bit of love to this thread , purchased my MB2se just over a year ago .  Neither my dealer or PMC themselves had heard a Rega Osiris [with Rega Isis] driving MB2se and PMC didn't have a dem pair at the time for me to try.

So they made a brand new pair and my dealer collected them and delivered them to me and set them up in my room for a extended home trial. Luckily im only a 2 hr drive from the PMC factory so the day after they were made they were sitting in my room , excellent service from both my dealer and PMC.

Luckily they fitted into my system perfectly and I loved the sound , just what I was looking for.

Since then ive done a bit of tweaking to the rest of the system to get it sounding spot on.

IMG_20190731_142931.jpg

IMG_20190731_142852.jpg

@Michael BrightonI heard the MBSE's recently, and after auditioning many 30k+ speakers, nothing comes close for around fidelity, plus those Regas are absolutely beautiful.

PMC seem to get the tone and involvement to a tee, not like others I've heard.

10 hours ago, Michael Brighton said:

Luckily they fitted into my system perfectly and I loved the sound , just what I was looking for.

Since then ive done a bit of tweaking to the rest of the system to get it sounding spot on.

This is the first system I have seen using the top end Rega electronics. They have a very distinctive look that sets them apart from the cheaper Regas.

Ayre electronics, I can remember listening to a 60 watt integrated some 10 years ago at Acoustic Images in Mulgrave. John made a comment at the time, "how does this tiny amp sound so sublime", it just plays music..and dead right he was to.

@sjay Those mono's must sound terrific.

Received new rack today.
Don't know if it's Placebo, but the sound quality has jumped up significantly.
But has long as l think it's better, that all that matters....hey.

They do say that bamboo shelves do make a sonic improvement though.

Mission accomplished. [emoji7]1564650530749.jpeg

6 hours ago, maximus said:

Ayre electronics, I can remember listening to a 60 watt integrated some 10 years ago at Acoustic Images in Mulgrave. John made a comment at the time, "how does this tiny amp sound so sublime", it just plays music..and dead right he was to.

@sjay Those mono's must sound terrific.

My PMC Ayre combo sounds effortlessly life like, are the words that come to mind.

Edited by sjay

1 hour ago, needlerunner said:

Received new rack today.
Don't know if it's Placebo, but the sound quality has jumped up significantly.
But has long as l think it's better, that all that matters....hey.

They do say that bamboo shelves do make a sonic improvement though.

Mission accomplished. emoji7.png1564650530749.jpeg

Have just been a lurker here (enjoying the journey, mind you) but that setup is looking serious now! Enjoy the tunes 🎶

2 hours ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Have just been a lurker here (enjoying the journey, mind you) but that setup is looking serious now! Enjoy the tunes 🎶

Hey......99.

Couldn't be happier. Everything running in nicely. And sounding really great.  Just going to play around with interconnects for the Ultradeck. And maybe speaker cables, and that's it now. Money is going on vinyl now.

On 01/08/2019 at 12:40 AM, Michael Brighton said:

Time to add a bit of love to this thread , purchased my MB2se just over a year ago .  Neither my dealer or PMC themselves had heard a Rega Osiris [with Rega Isis] driving MB2se and PMC didn't have a dem pair at the time for me to try.

So they made a brand new pair and my dealer collected them and delivered them to me and set them up in my room for a extended home trial. Luckily im only a 2 hr drive from the PMC factory so the day after they were made they were sitting in my room , excellent service from both my dealer and PMC.

IMG_20190731_142931.jpg

IMG_20190731_142852.jpg

My dream system. Built by skilled people in the UK with love for music.

Congratulations. Simply stunning. I wish I could demo it :)

Any owners of Fenestria ? I am interested to know more. Thanks.

G'day! New to the site but joined the PMC club today with a set of Twenty.22's! Big thanks to @Bikkitz for the sale and posting them out so quickly. I've only had a quick listen but so far I'm loving the  purchase.

On 09/08/2019 at 3:43 PM, oneflewnorth said:

G'day! New to the site but joined the PMC club today with a set of Twenty.22's! Big thanks to @Bikkitz for the sale and posting them out so quickly. I've only had a quick listen but so far I'm loving the  purchase.

Welcome. More the merrier.

I also am a recent inductee.

Let me (us) know what you think, after a proper evaluation. 

4 hours ago, needlerunner said:

Welcome. More the merrier.

I also am a recent inductee.

Let me (us) know what you think, after a proper evaluation. 

Gave them a good run over the weekend and couldn't be happier, really impressed with them.

On 02/08/2019 at 6:14 AM, Andpi said:

My dream system. Built by skilled people in the UK with love for music.

Congratulations. Simply stunning. I wish I could demo it :)

I wish he would give it to me!

9 hours ago, needlerunner said:

I wish he would give it to me!

Oh I know.... Oh well may be next lifetime...

By the way how are your PMCs going after a few weeks now running? Happy now or still having some doubts? And the Plinius?

1 hour ago, Andpi said:

Oh I know.... Oh well may be next lifetime...

By the way how are your PMCs going after a few weeks now running? Happy now or still having some doubts? And the Plinius?

Hey mate. Thanks for asking.

The speakers have done around 80 hours and sounding better every day. Sound nothing like it when l first plugged them in. I was always a bit skeptical about break in/run in for components. But my experience has blown that myth out the water.

Have spent a lot of time with placement, and have found a compromise I'm happy with. I say compromise, because l have them only 18" of the wall. Would ideally love at least a metre. But alas, no more room. Got them toed in an inch. To me they sound really great now. Bass is great, vocals are crystal clear, plenty of height and depth.

Sound stage is pretty good, but at 5', could do with going to 6 to 8 feet, again though no room. Would put one speaker near a wall and the other would have a bookcase in front of it. So this is as good as it gets.

Love the Plinius. As good synergy with the rest of the system. The thing l like most is that on very low volume, Everything is clear and well pronounced.

I really jagged it considering that l had not heard the amp or the speakers, buying both blind. But mate couldn't be happier. Everything worked out really well.

Cheers

9 hours ago, needlerunner said:

Hey mate. Thanks for asking.

The speakers have done around 80 hours and sounding better every day. Sound nothing like it when l first plugged them in. I was always a bit skeptical about break in/run in for components. But my experience has blown that myth out the water.

Have spent a lot of time with placement, and have found a compromise I'm happy with. I say compromise, because l have them only 18" of the wall. Would ideally love at least a metre. But alas, no more room. Got them toed in an inch. To me they sound really great now. Bass is great, vocals are crystal clear, plenty of height and depth.

Sound stage is pretty good, but at 5', could do with going to 6 to 8 feet, again though no room. Would put one speaker near a wall and the other would have a bookcase in front of it. So this is as good as it gets.

Love the Plinius. As good synergy with the rest of the system. The thing l like most is that on very low volume, Everything is clear and well pronounced.

I really jagged it considering that l had not heard the amp or the speakers, buying both blind. But mate couldn't be happier. Everything worked out really well.

Cheers

That is really great to hear. It seems like you finally found the sweet spot. 

I was a bit worried a while back because you sounded very disappointed so it is great to know that the running is absolutely necessary. It is a substantial investment and that shows how hard can be to get this done right even after so much research, listening to all sorts of opinions, demoing etc. 

It is awesome to have so much knowledge here from all those experienced PMC owners, yet it also proves that you will only really really know once you try the whole system at your place for x number of hours and this includes all of the possible variables including cables, system synergy, source, room etc

So we'll done! I can't wait to go through my own PMC adventure once I finally get my PMC Twenty5.22 in a few weeks. Happy listening! :)

That is really great to hear. It seems like you finally found the sweet spot. 
I was a bit worried a while back because you sounded very disappointed so it is great to know that the running is absolutely necessary. It is a substantial investment and that shows how hard can be to get this done right even after so much research, listening to all sorts of opinions, demoing etc. 
It is awesome to have so much knowledge here from all those experienced PMC owners, yet it also proves that you will only really really know once you try the whole system at your place for x number of hours and this includes all of the possible variables including cables, system synergy, source, room etc

So we'll done! I can't wait to go through my own PMC adventure once I finally get my PMC Twenty5.22 in a few weeks. Happy listening! [emoji4]

Thanks andpi.
The PMC forum consists of a great bunch of people. The assistance l have received has been invaluable. So thanks everyone.

I'm pretty sorted for cables. The interconnects l purchased 30 years ago where custom made and cost me $400 for 2 half metre lengths. Just had enough bend in them to connect. Real expensive back then. Nearly caused a divorce. Probably have to pay a fortune to get something better. Might dabble later, if l can snaffle a bargain in classifieds.

Down the track l might pick people's brains on what speaker cables they are using. Though that is a hard one. Can be expenses and also a gamble, as pretty hard to road test.

What l have done is ordered some Blue Jean interconnects from America for the tt. And the other day l ordered some Magami jumpers for the speakers. I know people have said stick to the jumper wires same as the speaker cable. But l couldn't help myself. Only $100 and wanted to find out for myself. Will keep people posted on that little experiment.

Good luck with your new speakers. Bet you are gagging for them. Don't forget they need lots of run in. Lol.

Cheers.

37 minutes ago, needlerunner said:

Thanks andpi.
The PMC forum consists of a great bunch of people. The assistance l have received has been invaluable. So thanks everyone.

I'm pretty sorted for cables. The interconnects l purchased 30 years ago where custom made and cost me $400 for 2 half metre lengths. Just had enough bend in them to connect. Real expensive back then. Nearly caused a divorce. Probably have to pay a fortune to get something better. Might dabble later, if l can snaffle a bargain in classifieds.

Down the track l might pick people's brains on what speaker cables they are using. Though that is a hard one. Can be expenses and also a gamble, as pretty hard to road test.

What l have done is ordered some Blue Jean interconnects from America for the tt. And the other day l ordered some Magami jumpers for the speakers. I know people have said stick to the jumper wires same as the speaker cable. But l couldn't help myself. Only $100 and wanted to find out for myself. Will keep people posted on that little experiment.

Good luck with your new speakers. Bet you are gagging for them. Don't forget they need lots of run in. Lol.

Cheers.

Hey needlerunner, Excellent. The journey continues. Good luck with the cables. 

That seems like a lot of money for cables 30 years ago and I can understand the potential divorce part.

Precisely the reason why I don't have my PMCs yet! So I had to hold on, but certainly the fact that I am spending such a big amount on speakers almost caused an earthquake at home. 

I mean, people out there seem to think that it is absolutely normal to spend 30k on a car. Yet they look at us like mad people spending 5k on speakers. What a disgrace. 

To me a good hi-fi set up is more like a space ship which can transport you to a different time and space. That is priceless. 

So I will continue to wait for those PMC Twenty5.22 but soon they will be mine!