PMC Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's my current set up.   I had an issue with a loose binding post, so I had need to eviscerate the right speaker.  Easy to fix fortunately, but also gave me an opportunity to photograph t

This thread is lacking pics of late so to keep things in the spirit of the thread........

Hi All,    I’ve recently discovered how much more my Twenty5.22’s had to give! Upgraded to a Townshend Allegri+ preamp and the frequency extension is remarkable. These speakers really do go lower

On 06/10/2020 at 9:39 PM, AussieMick said:

Update on the new gear. A month of having the Allegri+, Accession MC phonostage, the full loom of Cardas cables and the isolation gear, and the Twenty5.22’s are delivering the goods. They’ve disappeared, really, with a far bigger and detailed soundstage. Toe tapping, heart wrenching, mind expanding music making. 

I’m saving for a new power amp to complete the journey (50th present to myself in three years). Doing the research now, and so far have short-listed the Bryston 4B3, the ATC P2, and PS Audio BHK Stereo power amps. I asked Max Townsend what he recommends as a good complement to the Allegri+, and he said they’ve been working on a power amp that will be released early in 2021. 

Any other suggestions? What power amps are driving your PMC’s to greatness?

cheers

Mick

been getting great results with Hegel / Moon also worthy mention but the hegel imaging is so deep and concise

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, maximus said:

@noisufyou're going to love the 20.26's, a little more forgiving than the 25.26's and very well balanced across all frequencies....I love em. 

Thanks heaps Maximus. I just need Dan to loosen his grip a bit tomorrow so I can pick them up. lol

Much more than I had budgeted for fronts but hey, music is about getting emotion.....and the PMCs are so well regarded.....can't wait.

You'll forget about the budget once you see and hear them, hope all is good for pickup in the near future, like to hear your thoughts on the Gross/Cambridge/PMC trio.

cheers  Frank.

So I’ve joined the club. A long time admirer of PMC speakers and their house sound, with no planning or intention of upgrading I pulled the trigger on some Twenty5.24’s. 

Due to the lack of planning I need to part ways with some gear to offset the cost. Out go the LS50’s which I genuinely enjoy, amazing bang for buck. But the REL T7i I’m not so sure. I’m not going to get the chance to properly set up the PMC’s for a while so I’d love some guidance whether the 25.24’s would benefit from the T7i or I should cash them in. 

4 hours ago, maximus said:

You'll forget about the budget once you see and hear them, hope all is good for pickup in the near future, like to hear your thoughts on the Gross/Cambridge/PMC trio.

cheers  Frank.

Frank!!  Looks like I've followed your lead once again 😄 

4 hours ago, maximus said:

cheers  Frank.

I've also got a Denafrips Ares II coming that I'll be comparing with the Gross too.

Will post up thoughts hopefully soon!

On 10/10/2020 at 11:44 PM, noisuf said:

Hi everyone! I'm so happy to say that I will soon be a proud member of this PMC clan.

A little bit about myself. I was 90/10 HT/music up until two months ago. For reasons I can't remember, I thought I'd chuck on a SACD on 2 channel. Might have been Thriller or something from Norah Jones. Now, I've played 2 channel before but for some reason, I was blown away when I 'heard' Norah in front of me.

I've always been a "connect everything with HDMI as it's the best" sort of person and multi-channel is the way to go. Let's just say that the ratio in the past couple of months has changed to 60/40 HT/music. Maybe it's Melbourne going through its craziness that opened my eyes to 2 ch.

My current gear was pretty modest. HT speakers designed by the other Jones, Phil Jones. But I played with some settings with some help from some SNA members. I've always been anal about measurements. Brought forward my seats, toe'd in my fronts a little, everything centimetre perfect, triangle, Dolby angles, the works. But Norah still sounded the best sitting 30 cms forward from my centre position.

Someone suggested I used my Yamaha bluray player's DAC and analog/RCA to the AVR. I thought, no way, I need to bring out my MONSTER RCAs (lol) from over 10 years ago? But I was blown away as I didn't realise the DAC in the Yammy bluray was better than the AVRs.

Then I managed to secure a Gieseler Gross which has allowed me to hear things like guitar strings that I haven't heard before. Oh, I love everything from Michael Jackson/Madonna to Norah Jones to RnB to Evanescence to Classical to contemporary pop.

I ripped all my 24 SACDs to DSF. I obtained my favourite songs on FLAC. I'm fully digital....all songs on NAS. Then with some snoopy help, I'm building a mini-PC to directly feed USB to the Gross DAC.

Coming my way is a great steal of an integrated amp, Cambridge Audio Azur 851a.....should arrive Tuesday which should blow my mind again. The Gross will go into this, my Yammy AVR V3800 will send the fronts to the 851a HT bypass.

As you can tell, I generally buy secondhand........budget, CFO at home leading to WAF. Down the track, will upgrade the HT system, Blakey suggested pre/power instead of AVR. Then I'd need to get 4 speakers for Atmos.......... That will be a couple years down the track I reckon. haha

So back to why I'm joining your club! Sorry, have waffled. I have put a deposit down for a used set of PMC Twenty 26......6 years old so not the current model. But look mint and have been looked after well. As soon as Dan's restrictions ease, I can go pick them up. I was originally looking for VAF i66, then custom made speakers, then the 20.24 and now these. Let's just say my budget had to be 2 1/2 fold. Marriage intact for now.....................

Ideally, I'd replace my centres with some PMC 20.c or 25.c but they're so rare. I think only a couple have sold ever on SNA, recently in August. Seems the Dynaudios are a good match so most likely will get a set of those. I'll chuck a WTB for the 20.c or 25.c as you never know I guess.

So a big hello, looking forward to joining this crew! Thanks for reading.

Welcome to the club, a joy for 26 ownership is not only on its sound quality but its capability to demonstrate change in the chain if replacement component is better, so owners can fully appreciate engineering and design of each product/brand. You should start with a really good amplifier with at least 200wpc to make its speaker drivers to move as its potential (quite low sensitive speaker with 86dbm). Then preamp, DAC and power treatment (power plants/conditioner ) as later journey goals. You will see improvement in every single upgrade and understand why people say PCM 26 speakers are not forgiving ones.

• Like 1

Yes welcome to the club @noisuf You certainly have made a large step up from where you were a month or so ago so you'll have to sit back, adjust and take it all in when it's all together. As @ikhuong and I (on another forum) have said, PMC's are very honest and will give you exactly whats along the chain from start to finish. It will be interesting to hear your opinion of the Gross compared to the Denafrips.

I think your Cambridge will be fine as a starter with 120w/ch, it's a solid performer and you did get it for a bargain IMO! More cash on speakers is always a good thing. Sure you can upgrade/make improvements but that's part of the fun, at least you have a solid starting foundation with the Twenty.26's. 

All I can say is 'com' on Dan, be nice' 😜:afro:

• Like 1

Thx Blakey. Will know soon........DAAAAAN.

In all seriousness, i can wait for my speakers, I feel for the businesses. Hope they get relief soon. 🤞

1 hour ago, noisuf said:

Thx Blakey. Will know soon........DAAAAAN.

In all seriousness, i can wait for my speakers, I feel for the businesses. Hope they get relief soon. 🤞

Is 25km enough to put you in reach of the speakers mate?

5 hours ago, ikhuong said:

Welcome to the club, a joy for 26 ownership is not only on its sound quality but its capability to demonstrate change in the chain if replacement component is better, so owners can fully appreciate engineering and design of each product/brand. You should start with a really good amplifier with at least 200wpc to make its speaker drivers to move as its potential (quite low sensitive speaker with 86dbm). Then preamp, DAC and power treatment (power plants/conditioner ) as later journey goals. You will see improvement in every single upgrade and understand why people say PCM 26 speakers are not forgiving ones.

Oops, missed your post! :) Have the Cambridge Audio 851a at the moment so 'only' 120 watts at 8ohm. Will music stream from mini pc only digital -> USB -> Gieseler Gross vs Denafrips Ares II -> CA 851a -> PMC.

2 hours ago, blakey72 said:

Is 25km enough to put you in reach of the speakers mate?

He's just under 35km away. Wouldn't have been able to pickup after midnight tonight even if he was within 25 kms as there's no visitors indoors. Looking to organise a social excercise somewhere between us. ;) Hopefully in the next couple of days.

Edited by noisuf

Ok, these beauties are in my hands. Harder to drive compared to my existing speakers but sound so good, the violin sounds real, female vocals have improved heaps.

Will provide pics and further thoughts tomorrow.

Question in the meantime. The box says left speaker on one and right speaker on the other. Are they different? I can't see a difference and there isn't a left or right designation on the rear label. 🤔

Hi everyone.

Been about a year since l last posted.  Noticed quite a few new PMC owners since my sabbatical, which is great to see.

My twenty 23 speakers are going great. Not sure if l would ever replace them now. But IF I DID. Would stick to PMC. I hear that the 25 series is about to be upgraded and they are going to be really special.

The reason for this post, is l have succumbed to the tweaking bug...again.  As much as l love my bi-wire speaker cables (they were a vast improvement on my  Chord speaker cables that came with the speakers).  I had a hankering to go back to some quality single cables and give them a go.

Long story, short. Some Tellurium Q Black ii speaker cables came up in classifieds on Tuesday. So l took a punt and purchased them. They have a great name and the limited reviews l have read, seem to indicate that they punch well above their price range and have won plenty of awards, (if that is anything to go by). They are not an ultra expensive cable, but they are not cheap either. Fairly confident that they will be an improvement on my current cables (if not, l guess l will move them on). Apparently these cables are eagerly sought after.

So while l await postage from the East, (takes forever these days) I was wondering if any PMC speaker owners have used these cables.  Would be especially interested to hear from people that have paired them with the twenty 23s.

In anticipation, I eagerly await your gushing replys.😍

Thanks in advance.

Ken.

I run some PMC Twenty5 24's & Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables with some pretty good results.  Still fiddling with sub settings and speaker placement but so far so good.  The combination definitely seems to work.

Edited by Flynnyfalcon
On 03/11/2020 at 9:30 PM, Flynnyfalcon said:

I run some PMC Twenty5 24's & Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables with some pretty good results.  Still fiddling with sub settings and speaker placement but so far so good.  The combination definitely seems to work.

Thanks Flynn. Good to know.

In the waiting interim. Been doing a fair bit of research on these cables. Obviously, l have to go back to jumper cables. And you know what they say...use the same bi-wire cable as the speaker cable. So just ordered some Black ll jumpers. Bloody Hell. Not cheap for what is relatively a 3" wire requirement from post to post. Luckily I'm a great believer in cables. Reviews indicate Tellurium jumpers with their matching speaker cables make a huge difference. I guess I'm about to find out.

Cheers.

I'm using AUdioquest Type 4 speaker cables and Audioquest Big Sur IC's, no complaints here but keen to hear the impressions on the Tellurium cables.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/11/2020 at 3:44 PM, blakey72 said:

I'm using AUdioquest Type 4 speaker cables and Audioquest Big Sur IC's, no complaints here but keen to hear the impressions on the Tellurium cables.

Jumpers arrived today. Only took 3 weeks to get to WA from Melbourne. Been champing at the bit.  Going to hook 'em up tomorrow. Will post my findings.

👌 K

• Like 1
On 06/11/2020 at 3:44 PM, blakey72 said:

Hi Blake.

Listened to these speaker. cables over the whole weekend, and l have to say l was a bit disapointed with them over all. Don't get me wrong, they sounded great, but to me they did not sound as good as my previous bi-wired setup. I even tried switching various connections; top vs bottom and even diagonally. But no, l just couldn't get the sound l was chasing. They produce a crystal clear clarity sound signiture, but l lost the bass slam that l like.

So last night l swiched back to my old set. And there it was...my sound. So going to stick with these. Must have jagged it when l picked up these little beauties from a SteteoNet member last year. They just seem to synagise with my setup, l guess.

I think you have to try these little tweaks every now and again.  Generally, I've got it right most times. But not this time.

Guess l will be moving these speaker cables on. Think they would sound fantatic for orchestral music, accoustic guitar, instrumentalist and jazz music type of sound signiture.

Cheers 👌 K

• 2 weeks later...

@FlynnyfalconFrank!!  Looks like I've followed your lead once again.

I've missed all this....congrats Chris, the 24's are a great all rounder, probably a bit more revealing than your Harbeths, should work superbly with the Linn/devlialet combo......hope it works for you mate.

Keen to hear your thoughts on the Linn as I've never heard a vinyl setup with the twenty5 series.

Cheers Frank

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/12/2020 at 10:16 PM, maximus said:

@FlynnyfalconFrank!!  Looks like I've followed your lead once again.

I've missed all this....congrats Chris, the 24's are a great all rounder, probably a bit more revealing than your Harbeths, should work superbly with the Linn/devlialet combo......hope it works for you mate.

Keen to hear your thoughts on the Linn as I've never heard a vinyl setup with the twenty5 series.

Cheers Frank

Hey Frank!!

I’ve literally only set up the hifi in the last couple of days, but already loving it. Sadly it’s main use so far has been streaming via Spotify, DAB+ and movies, but the sound is fantastic. The deck is plugged in but yet to properly fiddle.  Will report back when I get the chance to have a decent listen.

Hope you’re well mate, Merry Christmas!

Glad you're enjoying them Chris, I've never heard the Devialet's with any PMC , but judging by feedback from many forums, they're a great match, I'm very tempted on the new "i" series, too damn expensive at the moment, down the track definately, the new tweeter is from the 'Fact'

series, should be a treat to listen to. 

Anyhow, enjoy the new system Chris and best wishes for the new year.

Frank  

On 31/12/2020 at 6:11 AM, maximus said:

Glad you're enjoying them Chris, I've never heard the Devialet's with any PMC , but judging by feedback from many forums, they're a great match, I'm very tempted on the new "i" series, too damn expensive at the moment, down the track definately, the new tweeter is from the 'Fact'

series, should be a treat to listen to. 

Anyhow, enjoy the new system Chris and best wishes for the new year.

Frank  

Thanks Frank, and happy new year to you also.

I've finally got the deck spinning and yep I'm very happy.  You described the 25.24 as an all rounder which in some respects can be the "participation ribbon", but you're 100% spot on.  My only experience so far has been using the PMCs for movies, streaming etc and have been super impressed.  But with quality analog input it also excels.  Doesn't have the outright resolution of the Martens, but the sound is full, realistic and engaging.  Love it!  I haven't discovered any weak points yet.

Look a little fiddling as I was suffering from a strange base thud and couldn't resolve. Turned out the SAM profile wasn't ideal...  But turned off it sounds great!!

I haven't seen/hear the "i" series, will give it a look.  

Edited by Flynnyfalcon

I bought a pair of these which used to be used on the active PMC Tb2plus models and they sound amazing. Good luck finding them though, took me some serious time.

Closest amp I've heard that sounds like a valve but isn't. So warm and relaxing!

Edited by blakey72