PMC Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's my current set up.   I had an issue with a loose binding post, so I had need to eviscerate the right speaker.  Easy to fix fortunately, but also gave me an opportunity to photograph t

Hi All,    I’ve recently discovered how much more my Twenty5.22’s had to give! Upgraded to a Townshend Allegri+ preamp and the frequency extension is remarkable. These speakers really do go lower

This thread is lacking pics of late so to keep things in the spirit of the thread........

They are a great looking speaker. I had never heard of them before but found their website. Here's the link BTW.

http://www.pmc-speakers.com/product.php?mode=view&pid=171

They appear to be fairly easy to drive so you should have a good number of amps to choose from. I like pommy speakers, they often have a good clean sound with great definition, and I would say these would fit that bill.

Interesting to see a standmount transmission line too.

Look forward to hearing what you think when you get them AIA. I presume there is a distributor in Australian then?

Cheers,

Jake

I demoed PMC extensively, beautiful sound that's for sure. Probably the best I've heard from a bookshelf for a long while.

They are a great looking speaker. I had never heard of them before but found their website. Here's the link BTW.

http://www.pmc-speakers.com/product.php?mode=view&pid=171

They appear to be fairly easy to drive so you should have a good number of amps to choose from. I like pommy speakers, they often have a good clean sound with great definition, and I would say these would fit that bill.

Interesting to see a standmount transmission line too.

Look forward to hearing what you think when you get them AIA. I presume there is a distributor in Australian then?

Cheers,

Jake

I think Bryston is the amplification most commonly paired with PMC. Not cheap though, maybe you can pick-up something second hand.

AIA did you get yours from CAV< and they ordered them from PMC or did you go to a UK supplier?

• 2 weeks later...

Well they arrived today with some minor "in transit" damage luckily it is only minor cosmetics that can be fixed.

So after hooking them up all I can say is WOW! Easily the best speaker I have ever owned and I think that if I ever upgrade again it would be to another PMC.

I am in love. Perfect mid range, silky smooth vocals and no sweet spot. No matter where you are it is pure heaven.

I can not recommend these enough, Although upset at the initial learning of the damage to the rear corner I have no regrets in this purchase.

I will however suggest that if getting speakers shipped from OS, make sure they are double boxed and that you get insurance on them.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

AiA: $1k AUD for a pair of PMC TB2s ? Where they brand new ? Could you give me details of the seller ?

Also, is there anyone in MEL s.e. suburbs that could let me listen to them ?

Unfortunately this week I wan't in MEL. I believe CAV it's the only place that sells PMCs in MEL. Bad luck, I'll have to wait for another 3-4 yrs...Hey AiA, come on, upgrade and sell me yours ?!

Ok, sure. If I can find these PMC ib2

I will,

There was a pair on eBay last year from a mastering studio in Melbourne, also the Bryston amp they ran them with. I was soooo tempted.

• 2 weeks later...

yer lucky bugger - I was thinking the same thing myself... Pity i don't have the room for another set of speakers (esp. floorstanders) otherwise i would have had a go myself...

AB

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am new owner of a mint pair of GB1's thanks to Ken at Merlin Audio in Canberra. And in turn I have converted another forum member Amadeus who is now the proud owner of a pair TB2's.

Well I am new owner of a mint pair of GB1's thanks to Ken at Merlin Audio in Canberra. And in turn I have converted another forum member Amadeus who is now the proud owner of a pair TB2's.

Insatiable, Mate,

How much have you spent in the last 6 weeks?

Not too loud so missus can't hear, shhh

To be honest nude, I have made money all my changes have either cost me nothing or I have made money with other gear. The Mrs is very happy me, apart from the new gear amps and cd etc being black and not silver... I will say though that I am 90% happy with the GB1's the only thing that is really missing the bit off the midrange of the TB2's the bass extension is a lot better than the TB2's which sort of makes up for the small cabinets and smaller driver. The journey continues... Tried out a valve pre on my system today and worked out that it would not work, which was sad but good at the same time. As it turns out my system seems very well matched as far as pre/power/speakers the sound stage is massive too, the whole kit has moved rooms now and the only thing I am missing is some Chord Crimson Interconnects and a Cambridge phono pre...or Pro-ject pre...

To be honest nude, I have made money all my changes have either cost me nothing or I have made money with other gear. The Mrs is very happy me, apart from the new gear amps and cd etc being black and not silver... I will say though that I am 90% happy with the GB1's the only thing that is really missing the bit off the midrange of the TB2's the bass extension is a lot better than the TB2's which sort of makes up for the small cabinets and smaller driver. The journey continues... Tried out a valve pre on my system today and worked out that it would not work, which was sad but good at the same time. As it turns out my system seems very well matched as far as pre/power/speakers the sound stage is massive too, the whole kit has moved rooms now and the only thing I am missing is some Chord Crimson Interconnects and a Cambridge phono pre...or Pro-ject pre...

All good AIA

BTW, which valve pre did you try?

• 2 months later...

Thought I might reply in here given I have had a pair of TB2s for 18 months or so. Just recently upgraded to an Arcam a28 amp from a Cambridge Audio 640a. Using an arcam cd73 as the source. In short, PMC matches extremely well with the arcam range. I love the performance of the a28 with them. The 640a just wasn't quite up to it with these speakers and regardless of the ratings supposedly being the same, the a28 is a far more capable amp.

• 6 years later...

Hi. This might have been done before but doing a search for PMC brings up nothing. Just wondering who on SNA owns PMC speakers? What do you think of them? Have you heard better and and you wanting to change to something different? And most importantly, what amplification are you using with them and are you happy with it?

Cheers

Blakey.

Yes, I'm very privileged to own the MB2se's. They are very hard to fault, although the other half usually finds a way...

I know that their heritage is studio monitors, and this is reflected in many of their core traits, which as I see it are; accuracy across the freq range, massive dynamics, honest midrage, minimal concern to positioning. Some of the range also reflect that less aesthetically concerned heritage too.

In the recent amp shootout that I hosted they were easily able to display the sonic attributes of the paired equipment, whilst also managing to convey the emotion of the music.

I'm won't be selling mine for a good long time! If ever.

• Like 2

Hi Blakey

I have Twenty 22s and until recently was happy with them. We just moved house and the lounge is both bigger and a weird shape. We now love the 22s, the base is now more detailed and deeper. Hearing instruments in music that weren't there before. Been reading up on acoustic treatments latly as am starting to think the room has a much bigger effect on the sound that just the sum of the hifi bits in it.

I drive them with a yamaha A-S1000, I am happy with it but haven't tryed anything else so can't comment on whether there would be better amps for them.

Recently heard some paradigm S2 that impressed me, but I think if I was looking to upgrade it would be to some floorstanders, Twenty 26s would be nice. One power ball

Hi Blakey.

I have a pair of TB2i's in my second system. Amps are a pretty old pair of Nakamichi separates - CA5/PA5 (100w), which drive them well. Great set of monitors. Pretty hard to fault in their price range and for what they do. Accurate, flexible with regards music styles and positioning, and clean bass that goes pretty deep for their size. My primary system now has a set of SGR MT3.2's, so not going to compare as not in the same universe price wise.

Blakey,

Got a pair of PMC TB2i and I love 'em. PMC bass, due to transmission line, is unique - fast, tuneful, unforced, musical, uncongested, and can reach low. They have huge sound-stage when positioned proper, i.e. wide apart, just a little toe in, they disappear. Very musical, also find them natural sounding across the entire frequency range, little on the warmer side. They pair very well with the Luxman amp I have, actually it's a perfect match. Recently bi-wired them and found they improved.

Blaine

Edited by audioaddict78

Thanks for the replies everyone. Great to hear you also are enjoying the PMC sound. Seems that the owners circle on SNA seems to be quite small. Surprising since how good these speakers perform. Maybe some people don't like their studio sounding signature. I love it myself, I want to hear the music as it was meant to be heard by the producers.

Blake.

I'm not a PMC owner but the twenty.22 and twenty.23 both impressed when I auditioned them. The bass went impressively low for their compact size and the overall presentation was open and dynamic.