PMC Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

16 hours ago, blakey72 said:

@AussieMick do you find the Slee amps drive the PMC's to high enough levels? Do you think dynamics (headroom) is sufficient? Nice stands too, where did you manage to pick them up?

In my 6m x 5m room, the Proprius power amps easily hit "too loud" and overdrive the room. We sometimes open the studio doors onto the back yard and provide music for BBQ's, and you really can't be in the room with the system for more than a minute or two. In usual listening, sudden dynamic changes in big orchestral music are handled comfortably, too. Volume level on the Allegri+ preamp is on 11 o'clock for mid-level classical recordings, 9-10 o'clock for pop.

The stands are the PMC stands that go with them, which I bought new from a dealer. I think they were $600. They seem very good - constrained layer damping on the top and bottom pates.

Mick.

15 hours ago, att23 said:

Is Oak finish a special order? I have never seen Aussie retailers carry this finish.

Usually only black or walnut. Nowadays, even amarone is less commonly available. 

I actually bought these as ex-demo units from the UK and had them shipped with DHL. I wanted walnut, but just couldn't walk away from the terrific price. Turns out the oak finish is really lovely in the flesh. They were delivered to my front door for a tick under $4k. Retail at the time was $5,500, and $4k was the price I got selling my previous speakers. Right place, right time, I suppose. 

Cheers,

Mick.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the new gear. A month of having the Allegri+, Accession MC phonostage, the full loom of Cardas cables and the isolation gear, and the Twenty5.22’s are delivering the goods. They’ve disappeared, really, with a far bigger and detailed soundstage. Toe tapping, heart wrenching, mind expanding music making. 

I’m saving for a new power amp to complete the journey (50th present to myself in three years). Doing the research now, and so far have short-listed the Bryston 4B3, the ATC P2, and PS Audio BHK Stereo power amps. I asked Max Townsend what he recommends as a good complement to the Allegri+, and he said they’ve been working on a power amp that will be released early in 2021. 

Any other suggestions? What power amps are driving your PMC’s to greatness?

cheers

Mick

Edited by AussieMick
  • Like 1

Hi everyone! I'm so happy to say that I will soon be a proud member of this PMC clan.

A little bit about myself. I was 90/10 HT/music up until two months ago. For reasons I can't remember, I thought I'd chuck on a SACD on 2 channel. Might have been Thriller or something from Norah Jones. Now, I've played 2 channel before but for some reason, I was blown away when I 'heard' Norah in front of me.

I've always been a "connect everything with HDMI as it's the best" sort of person and multi-channel is the way to go. Let's just say that the ratio in the past couple of months has changed to 60/40 HT/music. Maybe it's Melbourne going through its craziness that opened my eyes to 2 ch.

My current gear was pretty modest. HT speakers designed by the other Jones, Phil Jones. But I played with some settings with some help from some SNA members. I've always been anal about measurements. Brought forward my seats, toe'd in my fronts a little, everything centimetre perfect, triangle, Dolby angles, the works. But Norah still sounded the best sitting 30 cms forward from my centre position.

Someone suggested I used my Yamaha bluray player's DAC and analog/RCA to the AVR. I thought, no way, I need to bring out my MONSTER RCAs (lol) from over 10 years ago? But I was blown away as I didn't realise the DAC in the Yammy bluray was better than the AVRs.

Then I managed to secure a Gieseler Gross which has allowed me to hear things like guitar strings that I haven't heard before. Oh, I love everything from Michael Jackson/Madonna to Norah Jones to RnB to Evanescence to Classical to contemporary pop.

I ripped all my 24 SACDs to DSF. I obtained my favourite songs on FLAC. I'm fully digital....all songs on NAS. Then with some snoopy help, I'm building a mini-PC to directly feed USB to the Gross DAC.

Coming my way is a great steal of an integrated amp, Cambridge Audio Azur 851a.....should arrive Tuesday which should blow my mind again. The Gross will go into this, my Yammy AVR V3800 will send the fronts to the 851a HT bypass.

As you can tell, I generally buy secondhand........budget, CFO at home leading to WAF. Down the track, will upgrade the HT system, Blakey suggested pre/power instead of AVR. Then I'd need to get 4 speakers for Atmos.......... That will be a couple years down the track I reckon. haha

So back to why I'm joining your club! Sorry, have waffled. I have put a deposit down for a used set of PMC Twenty 26......6 years old so not the current model. But look mint and have been looked after well. As soon as Dan's restrictions ease, I can go pick them up. I was originally looking for VAF i66, then custom made speakers, then the 20.24 and now these. Let's just say my budget had to be 2 1/2 fold. Marriage intact for now.....................

Ideally, I'd replace my centres with some PMC 20.c or 25.c but they're so rare. I think only a couple have sold ever on SNA, recently in August. Seems the Dynaudios are a good match so most likely will get a set of those. I'll chuck a WTB for the 20.c or 25.c as you never know I guess.

So a big hello, looking forward to joining this crew! Thanks for reading.

Edited by noisuf
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 06/10/2020 at 9:39 PM, AussieMick said:

Update on the new gear. A month of having the Allegri+, Accession MC phonostage, the full loom of Cardas cables and the isolation gear, and the Twenty5.22’s are delivering the goods. They’ve disappeared, really, with a far bigger and detailed soundstage. Toe tapping, heart wrenching, mind expanding music making. 

I’m saving for a new power amp to complete the journey (50th present to myself in three years). Doing the research now, and so far have short-listed the Bryston 4B3, the ATC P2, and PS Audio BHK Stereo power amps. I asked Max Townsend what he recommends as a good complement to the Allegri+, and he said they’ve been working on a power amp that will be released early in 2021. 

Any other suggestions? What power amps are driving your PMC’s to greatness?

cheers

Mick

been getting great results with Hegel / Moon also worthy mention but the hegel imaging is so deep and concise

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, maximus said:

@noisufyou're going to love the 20.26's, a little more forgiving than the 25.26's and very well balanced across all frequencies....I love em. 

Thanks heaps Maximus. I just need Dan to loosen his grip a bit tomorrow so I can pick them up. lol

Much more than I had budgeted for fronts but hey, music is about getting emotion.....and the PMCs are so well regarded.....can't wait.

So I’ve joined the club. A long time admirer of PMC speakers and their house sound, with no planning or intention of upgrading I pulled the trigger on some Twenty5.24’s. 

Due to the lack of planning I need to part ways with some gear to offset the cost. Out go the LS50’s which I genuinely enjoy, amazing bang for buck. But the REL T7i I’m not so sure. I’m not going to get the chance to properly set up the PMC’s for a while so I’d love some guidance whether the 25.24’s would benefit from the T7i or I should cash them in. 

4 hours ago, maximus said:

You'll forget about the budget once you see and hear them, hope all is good for pickup in the near future, like to hear your thoughts on the Gross/Cambridge/PMC trio.

cheers  Frank.

Frank!!  Looks like I've followed your lead once again ? 

4 hours ago, maximus said:

You'll forget about the budget once you see and hear them, hope all is good for pickup in the near future, like to hear your thoughts on the Gross/Cambridge/PMC trio.

cheers  Frank.

I've also got a Denafrips Ares II coming that I'll be comparing with the Gross too.

Will post up thoughts hopefully soon!

On 10/10/2020 at 11:44 PM, noisuf said:

Hi everyone! I'm so happy to say that I will soon be a proud member of this PMC clan.

A little bit about myself. I was 90/10 HT/music up until two months ago. For reasons I can't remember, I thought I'd chuck on a SACD on 2 channel. Might have been Thriller or something from Norah Jones. Now, I've played 2 channel before but for some reason, I was blown away when I 'heard' Norah in front of me.

I've always been a "connect everything with HDMI as it's the best" sort of person and multi-channel is the way to go. Let's just say that the ratio in the past couple of months has changed to 60/40 HT/music. Maybe it's Melbourne going through its craziness that opened my eyes to 2 ch.

My current gear was pretty modest. HT speakers designed by the other Jones, Phil Jones. But I played with some settings with some help from some SNA members. I've always been anal about measurements. Brought forward my seats, toe'd in my fronts a little, everything centimetre perfect, triangle, Dolby angles, the works. But Norah still sounded the best sitting 30 cms forward from my centre position.

Someone suggested I used my Yamaha bluray player's DAC and analog/RCA to the AVR. I thought, no way, I need to bring out my MONSTER RCAs (lol) from over 10 years ago? But I was blown away as I didn't realise the DAC in the Yammy bluray was better than the AVRs.

Then I managed to secure a Gieseler Gross which has allowed me to hear things like guitar strings that I haven't heard before. Oh, I love everything from Michael Jackson/Madonna to Norah Jones to RnB to Evanescence to Classical to contemporary pop.

I ripped all my 24 SACDs to DSF. I obtained my favourite songs on FLAC. I'm fully digital....all songs on NAS. Then with some snoopy help, I'm building a mini-PC to directly feed USB to the Gross DAC.

Coming my way is a great steal of an integrated amp, Cambridge Audio Azur 851a.....should arrive Tuesday which should blow my mind again. The Gross will go into this, my Yammy AVR V3800 will send the fronts to the 851a HT bypass.

As you can tell, I generally buy secondhand........budget, CFO at home leading to WAF. Down the track, will upgrade the HT system, Blakey suggested pre/power instead of AVR. Then I'd need to get 4 speakers for Atmos.......... That will be a couple years down the track I reckon. haha

So back to why I'm joining your club! Sorry, have waffled. I have put a deposit down for a used set of PMC Twenty 26......6 years old so not the current model. But look mint and have been looked after well. As soon as Dan's restrictions ease, I can go pick them up. I was originally looking for VAF i66, then custom made speakers, then the 20.24 and now these. Let's just say my budget had to be 2 1/2 fold. Marriage intact for now.....................

Ideally, I'd replace my centres with some PMC 20.c or 25.c but they're so rare. I think only a couple have sold ever on SNA, recently in August. Seems the Dynaudios are a good match so most likely will get a set of those. I'll chuck a WTB for the 20.c or 25.c as you never know I guess.

So a big hello, looking forward to joining this crew! Thanks for reading.

Welcome to the club, a joy for 26 ownership is not only on its sound quality but its capability to demonstrate change in the chain if replacement component is better, so owners can fully appreciate engineering and design of each product/brand. You should start with a really good amplifier with at least 200wpc to make its speaker drivers to move as its potential (quite low sensitive speaker with 86dbm). Then preamp, DAC and power treatment (power plants/conditioner ) as later journey goals. You will see improvement in every single upgrade and understand why people say PCM 26 speakers are not forgiving ones.

• Like 1

Yes welcome to the club @noisuf You certainly have made a large step up from where you were a month or so ago so you'll have to sit back, adjust and take it all in when it's all together. As @ikhuong and I (on another forum) have said, PMC's are very honest and will give you exactly whats along the chain from start to finish. It will be interesting to hear your opinion of the Gross compared to the Denafrips.

I think your Cambridge will be fine as a starter with 120w/ch, it's a solid performer and you did get it for a bargain IMO! More cash on speakers is always a good thing. Sure you can upgrade/make improvements but that's part of the fun, at least you have a solid starting foundation with the Twenty.26's. 

All I can say is 'com' on Dan, be nice' ?:afro:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noisuf said:

Thx Blakey. Will know soon........DAAAAAN.

In all seriousness, i can wait for my speakers, I feel for the businesses. Hope they get relief soon. ?

Is 25km enough to put you in reach of the speakers mate?

5 hours ago, ikhuong said:

Welcome to the club, a joy for 26 ownership is not only on its sound quality but its capability to demonstrate change in the chain if replacement component is better, so owners can fully appreciate engineering and design of each product/brand. You should start with a really good amplifier with at least 200wpc to make its speaker drivers to move as its potential (quite low sensitive speaker with 86dbm). Then preamp, DAC and power treatment (power plants/conditioner ) as later journey goals. You will see improvement in every single upgrade and understand why people say PCM 26 speakers are not forgiving ones.

Oops, missed your post! :) Have the Cambridge Audio 851a at the moment so 'only' 120 watts at 8ohm. Will music stream from mini pc only digital -> USB -> Gieseler Gross vs Denafrips Ares II -> CA 851a -> PMC.

2 hours ago, blakey72 said:

Is 25km enough to put you in reach of the speakers mate?

He's just under 35km away. Wouldn't have been able to pickup after midnight tonight even if he was within 25 kms as there's no visitors indoors. Looking to organise a social excercise somewhere between us. ;) Hopefully in the next couple of days.

Edited by noisuf

Ok, these beauties are in my hands. Harder to drive compared to my existing speakers but sound so good, the violin sounds real, female vocals have improved heaps.

Will provide pics and further thoughts tomorrow.

Question in the meantime. The box says left speaker on one and right speaker on the other. Are they different? I can't see a difference and there isn't a left or right designation on the rear label. ?