PMC Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

On 19/03/2020 at 12:11 PM, Nstat said:

Hi All,

twenty5.26

recently listened to a pair of twenty5.26‘s and absolutely loved them so much I am going eventually to grab a pair. 

can anyone recommend an amplifier preferably integrated?

Also interested if there is a similar speaker recomendation so that I can be sure my due diligence has been thorough. 

Thanks

I heard last year PMC 25.23 with Marantz, Moon, Rega, Primare, Devialet and Mcintosh. I really liked Primare, followed by Devialet and Rega.  

PMC with Primare has extreme level of details.

Competition with speakers, hard to say, maybe Focal electra 1028. 

On 19/03/2020 at 12:11 PM, Nstat said:

Hi All,

twenty5.26

recently listened to a pair of twenty5.26‘s and absolutely loved them so much I am going eventually to grab a pair. 

can anyone recommend an amplifier preferably integrated?

Also interested if there is a similar speaker recomendation so that I can be sure my due diligence has been thorough. 

Thanks

Try Primare Pre/Amp combo a35.2/Pre35, I got this combo  for myself after home demo of them verus Devialet Expert Pro 140. At similar rrp prices or cheaper without DAC module, the 200wpc /8 ohms modern-design class D amplifier blew the Expert Pro 140 ~ 120wpc in term of power, dynamics and system synergy.

https://www.hifinews.com/content/primare-pre35a352-networked-prepower-amp

I sold my McIntosh ma252 as it is not able to handle the low of pmc25.26 with 100wpc. The Devialet handles bass weight better than McIntosh ma252 but it is not as impressed as the Primare.

try home demo if you can

Edited by ikhuong
  • Like 2

Thanks for that. I currently run 6 x 150w D class amplifiers in my Dynaudio 400XD's active speakers. I quite like the transparency but on some lower grade recordings it can quite harsh. I happy that someone has recommended D class as I believe from a logical point of view the Transition line characteristics of the PMC"s would be enhanced by a D class amp. 

I would be interested in other opinions regarding compatibility of D class amplification and the Transmission line amplification characteristics of PMC speakers?

Thanks

I've found PMC speakers don't necessarily need loads of power, my first amp was an exposure 2010S2 (75w/ch) and it was good. I do however find that they REALLY LOVE as much power as they can get. My Sansui Alpha 907 takes them by the scruff and they dance.

• 2 months later...

I came across the following news that there will be an “i” version of the twenty5 series coming out in UK. No news if they will be available down under. I thought they are going to replace the fact series first. 

https://www.whathifi.com/au/news/pmc-launches-improved-twenty5i-series-speaker-family

https://pmc-speakers.com/products/consumer/twenty5i

Yes, brand new tweeter and crossover adjustments, apparently a noticeable improvement.  Will be available in 2-3 months according to a number of retailers I've spoken to, held up due to production(COVID-19). Price hike inevitable unfortunately.

• 1 month later...

How to improve MB2se's......add some Townshend Seismic Podiums. 

Thought about these on and off for a while.  They do seem counterintuitive as the speaker is free to move in all directions, exactly the opposite to spikes.  But took the plunge and wow , do these work !

IMG_1155.JPG

IMG_1145.JPG

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I find the Osiris handles the MB2se with no problem , even bass.   When i bought the PMCs i did wonder if the Osiris was up to it and even PMC had no experience of using them with an Osiris.

But they very kindly let me have a brand new pair on home dem.   

When we installed the Townshend Podiums, even my dealer remarked how well the Osiris drives them.

I was happy with the bass before, with having a treated room, but adding the Podiums has tightened it even more.  Seems slightly more extended , but that may be because its cleaner.  But starts and stops very cleanly , and much better impact. 

Very happy all round.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I’ve recently discovered how much more my Twenty5.22’s had to give! Upgraded to a Townshend Allegri+ preamp and the frequency extension is remarkable. These speakers really do go lower than they should, and with fabulous texture. 

A full loom of Cardas cable (Parsec, Clear Light and Clear) has given the speakers a great deal more information to present. Better dynamics, too. 

Also added is a new resonance control system. I was all Nordost previously (Pulsar Points and Sort Kones), but had the opportunity to buy a set of Townshend Seismic Pods. They replaced titanium Sort Kones under my CD transport and absolutely smashed them. All the detail and dynamics of the Nordost, but ever so much more relaxed and natural. Better stage depth, too. I’ve added another set under my turntable as well. Very happy with the improvements. Indeed, they’re the only feet I’ve tried that improved the stick standard RP8 on its own feet. An IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butchers block sits in between. 

I would’ve loved to go the full Townshend, but I just don’t have the cash. Research pointed me to Isoacoustics. I bought enough Orea support discs (wow they’re cheap!) to do the rest of my electronics (again with Aptitlig bamboo) in place of the Pulsar Points. They went on eBay the very next day. Just brilliant. 

And finally, I treated the PMC’s to a set of Isoacoustics GAIA III feet. Again, incredibly cheap for the job they do. Isoacoustics for me does almost all of the job the Townshend products do and way cheaper. Would I still like a full suite of Townshend Seismic things? Definitely! 

The sound is dynamic and well free of the speakers. Colourful and wonderful at the microdynamic inflection and leading edge characters I love. 

So, before anyone goes thinking of replacing their PMC’s, feed them the best electronics and ancillaries you can and see how much more they’ve got to give!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Joined the PMC club last December. Got a smashing deal from a wonderful SNAér through the classifieds.

At the time two sets of 25.26 showed up and I snaffled a four month old mint set for around the $6700 mark. 

So those thinking of taking the plunge, why not post a WTB - you never know.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, rodders3 said:

Joined the PMC club last December. Got a smashing deal from a wonderful SNAér through the classifieds.

At the time two sets of 25.26 showed up and I snaffled a four month old mint set for around the $6700 mark. 

So those thinking of taking the plunge, why not post a WTB - you never know.

Hey Rod, hope you're well mate and still enjoying the 25.26's, I'm keenly waiting on the new "i" series, got a pair of 25.23's to get me by.....on the PMC merry go round again??

• Like 1

@blakey72 love them. First the looks and the footprint. Great powerful sound without being over dominant in the room. Very important in the WAF. 

I power mine with an Elektra Reference HD with a Luxman SQ38u tube pre. I love the combo.

Just took a pic for another thread - you can just make out the PMC's.

20200922_211006_resized.thumb.jpg.da7166eb39a4cbb3496f7abfe5b0b93d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

11 minutes ago, maximus said:

Hey Rod, hope you're well mate and still enjoying the 25.26's, I'm keenly waiting on the new "i" series, got a pair of 25.23's to get me by.....on the PMC merry go round again??

@maximus - the man that led me down the PMC path!. Very well mate and as above, love them. Wife still thinks they cost $500 - doesn't everything in HIFI?

Be very keen to hear your thoughts on the new "i" series - you're best placed to know. Cheers.

Edited by rodders3
  • Like 1

Ha, Ha, "mums the word" on that one Rod,  looks as though they haven't budged an inch and yes I can vouch for the sound quality through the Luxman/Electra combo, especially that recording you got on holidays from the south East, truly sublime and holographic.

New "I" series, certainly will.

All the best...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

Ahh maximus, should have known ? Well it's an expensive but rewarding path... $500, oh dear. I thought you meant one driver sweetheart ?

Somehow I don't think Rod's better half wouldh've fallen for that, how else was I supposed to sell them and btw @blakey72, I was going to initially buy a pair of TB2I's and match them up with my Densen but got a rippa deal on some twenty5 series......$$$ later??