PMC Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

On 16/04/2015 at 3:29 PM, audioaddict78 said:

Blakey,

Got a pair of PMC TB2i and I love 'em. PMC bass, due to transmission line, is unique - fast, tuneful, unforced, musical, uncongested, and can reach low. They have huge sound-stage when positioned proper, i.e. wide apart, just a little toe in, they disappear. Very musical, also find them natural sounding across the entire frequency range, little on the warmer side. They pair very well with the Luxman amp I have, actually it's a perfect match. Recently bi-wired them and found they improved.

Blaine

I've sold numerous pairs of TB2's ant it's one of those speakers I really enjoyed selling.  I'd know I've sold somemone a pair of speakers that they can enjoy for years. 

Since pmc had re-released their little DB1's it comes to mind, arn't they a perfect little speaker for to study???  I sold Stereophilus his MB2's ( I think I've sold more pairs if these than anyone else in Australia and I'm very proud of that), long process but lots of fun, though i think I'd prefer listening to Holst's the Planets rather than the Gladiator soundtrack(inside joke their folks). 

• Like 3

On 18/04/2015 at 1:34 PM, Pulse-R said:

Was reasonably impressed when I auditioned them a few years back.

The individual drivers' sound was exquisite, but let down by the built-in crossovers, and the slightly loose tuning on the TL trying to play too low.

Overall, pretty good though.

Love love love the Ob1's.  I agree the crossover could be improves but at least they avoid graphite core inductors like so many english speakers. Caps also are a bit ordinary. 

I looked at the Krix crossover from their high model speak, and my reponce was -you want us to display that? Anyone who knows anthing about Electronics will laugh at it. It uses the cheapest chinese Benics caps with all cheap, nasty ferrite core inductors, just horrible. 

Ah well cutting the profit margin is what it's about. 

On 13/08/2019 at 10:43 PM, needlerunner said:

Hey mate. Thanks for asking.

The speakers have done around 80 hours and sounding better every day. Sound nothing like it when l first plugged them in. I was always a bit skeptical about break in/run in for components. But my experience has blown that myth out the water.

Have spent a lot of time with placement, and have found a compromise I'm happy with. I say compromise, because l have them only 18" of the wall. Would ideally love at least a metre. But alas, no more room. Got them toed in an inch. To me they sound really great now. Bass is great, vocals are crystal clear, plenty of height and depth.

Sound stage is pretty good, but at 5', could do with going to 6 to 8 feet, again though no room. Would put one speaker near a wall and the other would have a bookcase in front of it. So this is as good as it gets.

Love the Plinius. As good synergy with the rest of the system. The thing l like most is that on very low volume, Everything is clear and well pronounced.

I really jagged it considering that l had not heard the amp or the speakers, buying both blind. But mate couldn't be happier. Everything worked out really well.

Cheers

Do try your speakers with some differant amp, I've  sold & seviced plinius amp since 1999. Head rech says built like a rock, sounds like mud. Try a few different amp's as I did and you may be supprised.

Brett. 

15 hours ago, magical said:

Do try your speakers with some differant amp, I've  sold & seviced plinius amp since 1999. Head rech says built like a rock, sounds like mud. Try a few different amp's as I did and you may be supprised.

Brett. 

Doesn't sound like mud to me.

On 22/09/2019 at 12:00 AM, magical said:

I've sold numerous pairs of TB2's ant it's one of those speakers I really enjoyed selling.  I'd know I've sold somemone a pair of speakers that they can enjoy for years. 

Since pmc had re-released their little DB1's it comes to mind, arn't they a perfect little speaker for to study???  I sold Stereophilus his MB2's ( I think I've sold more pairs if these than anyone else in Australia and I'm very proud of that), long process but lots of fun, though i think I'd prefer listening to Holst's the Planets rather than the Gladiator soundtrack(inside joke their folks). 

The good old days... we gave those tracks a good work out before settling on a decision.  I did enjoy the process.  

Incidentally, did you see the photos of the crossovers on the MB2ses I posted?

44 minutes ago, Stereophilus said:

The good old days... we gave those tracks a good work out before settling on a decision.  I did enjoy the process.  

Incidentally, did you see the photos of the crossovers on the MB2ses I posted?

No i didn't, but I've had a look at them and i know what I'd do to them. I'd replace the benic caps with Hovlands and the inductors with goertz foil air core inductors, simplify the design using single cap rather than multiples, then set the lot in resin(as in the Wilson Audio method) if possible, hardwire them rather than using the pcb mounting.

On 26/08/2019 at 2:38 PM, Ittaku said:

If you do this experiment for yourself, I suggest you make sure the single cable is double calibre compared to each separate bi-wire component for it to be a fair comparison since one basically has double the cross-sectional area otherwise. I've done this experiment myself, and the two cables were indistinguishable.

The reason there are options for bi-wiring speakers is in the unlikely event you have the budget for separate amplifiers for each component. The reasoning got confused along with so many other cable discussions where things end up in science-free opinion-land where people insist it sounds better bi-wired to the same amp. Scientifically speaking, there's actually a reason that would sound worse than just using a double calibre cable that goes to both terminals, but it's very fine print and unlikely to be audible.

I guess you can only try these things for yourself.  Myself, l quite like what I'm hearing. I think I'm done now.

Been buying a s##t load of music.

Time to enjoy.

• Like 1

On 23/09/2019 at 1:43 AM, magical said:

Brett. 

Have you heard Plinius with PMC? I've tried the PMC's with an:

Exposure 2010S2 Integrated

Redgum RGi35ENR Black series Integrated

Redgum RGi120ENR Black Series Integrated

Sansui AU-Alpha 907 Integrated

Sansui AU-4900

Exposure 2010 Pre/Exposure XXVIII Power Amp

Myryad Z240 Integrated

Sansui AU-5900

Plinius 9200 Integrated

Redgum SonofaGum

Luxman L507UXII Integrated

Yamaha A-S2100 Integrated

McIntosh MA7200 Integrated

The Plinius pairs best to my ears followed by the Exposure 2010S2 Then maybe the Luxman. When I auditioned the PMC's Victor used Plinius gear (Pre/Power). He said he had been through the PMC factory and spoke to the CEO. I've said before he uses a Plinius M-10 Pre with a pair of A-300's. There must be something in it if he uses a Kiwi amp setup with his PMC's.

7 hours ago, magical said:

No i didn't, but I've had a look at them and i know what I'd do to them. I'd replace the benic caps with Hovlands and the inductors with goertz foil air core inductors, simplify the design using single cap rather than multiples, then set the lot in resin(as in the Wilson Audio method) if possible, hardwire them rather than using the pcb mounting.

Are you doing these sort of upgrades?  Have you modified your BB5’s?

I ask because I consider the PMC crossover components to be their weak point (albeit not that bad), and I’d be keen to look at what your suggesting.

My Plinius amplifier SA250 (mk4) has its fuse blown up, not working any more.

I tried to get it repaired, contacted Plinius in NZ asked for authorised repairer, but they do not answer queries!

Anyone knows a trusted repairer in Brisbane who can repair Plinius?

Thanks

4 hours ago, Tannie19 said:

I tried to get it repaired, contacted Plinius in NZ asked for authorised repairer, but they do not answer queries!

Thanks

I bought my Plinius from Aussie hifi.

They should be able to help surely, being that they are a Queensland operator?

4 hours ago, Tannie19 said:

Thanks

Forgot to say, have you tried replacing the fuse? If it blows again you have a problem...if not....

On 24/09/2019 at 7:26 PM, blakey72 said:

Have you heard Plinius with PMC? I've tried the PMC's with an:

Exposure 2010S2 Integrated

Redgum RGi35ENR Black series Integrated

Redgum RGi120ENR Black Series Integrated

Sansui AU-Alpha 907 Integrated

Sansui AU-4900

Exposure 2010 Pre/Exposure XXVIII Power Amp

Myryad Z240 Integrated

Sansui AU-5900

Plinius 9200 Integrated

Redgum SonofaGum

Luxman L507UXII Integrated

Yamaha A-S2100 Integrated

McIntosh MA7200 Integrated

The Plinius pairs best to my ears followed by the Exposure 2010S2 Then maybe the Luxman. When I auditioned the PMC's Victor used Plinius gear (Pre/Power). He said he had been through the PMC factory and spoke to the CEO. I've said before he uses a Plinius M-10 Pre with a pair of A-300's. There must be something in it if he uses a Kiwi amp setup with his PMC's.

Thanks Blake for your timely rebuttal .  I purchased the Plinius Hautonga, in part, on your glowing review of your Plinius. A decision l don't regret. I'm loving this amp, and yes you are right, it has great synergy with PMCs, as in with the rest of my system.

I also considered the Exposure,  followed closely by a Musical FidFidelity M6si.  But after careful consideration and perhaps a gut feeling, the Hautonga won me over.

I remember reading the particular article, as referred, that the amp, sounded muddy. But l ignored it, because several other articles repudiate this, by saying what a great amp it was, and for that price point it was hard to resist.  But l think it was your comment that the CEO of PMC was using a Plinius amp with his home setup, and that won me over.

I think people forget that the amp is not the sum of all parts and that with dudicious pairing, you can come up with great synergy, which l believe l have archived. And with my sourse components and various cable tweaking, l have reached my hifi heaven.

My setup is the best l have owned and heard for 40 years. So for me that's good enough. Happy as a?in mud?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, needlerunner said:

I bought my Plinius from Aussie hifi.

They should be able to help surely, being that they are a Queensland operator?

19 hours ago, needlerunner said:

Forgot to say, have you tried replacing the fuse? If it blows again you have a problem...if not....

Thanks for your response. Yes I did try to replace the fuse twice, they were blown instantly so there is a short circuit problem I think; and it need a repairer. I am so disappointed that Plinius has not answered my 2 emails; I even tried to call their NZ office, but could not get through. I asked Aussie HIFI (bought out by another name) and Stuart recommeded Watson Electronics, but Watson does not want to look at new brand that they are not familiar with.

18 hours ago, needlerunner said:

But l think it was your comment that the CEO of PMC was using a Plinius amp with his home setup, and that won me over.

I'm pretty sure that Peter Thomas, CEO of PMC uses a full Bryston set to power his BB5's, at least thats what he said at the CES show in Vegas. 

I believe it was 4 power amp for each side, 1 each for the twetter, midrange, bass & sub, with active crossover. 

I could be wrong but I know thats their prefered setup, and what I was told.

1 hour ago, Tannie19 said:

Thanks for your response. Yes I did try to replace the fuse twice, they were blown instantly so there is a short circuit problem I think; and it need a repairer. I am so disappointed that Plinius has not answered my 2 emails; I even tried to call their NZ office, but could not get through. I asked Aussie HIFI (bought out by another name) and Stuart recommeded Watson Electronics, but Watson does not want to look at new brand that they are not familiar with.

I thought magical might have chipped in to help. If you have been following this thread. He states he has sold and serviced Plinius since 1999. 

9 hours ago, Tannie19 said:

Thanks, I try to find Magical who is mentioned in your message, but could not find him.

Can you point me in the right direction, thanks.

What is it that you'd like help with, feel free to pm me & if I  can help, I will, tho I'm retired now. 

On 26/09/2019 at 8:37 AM, magical said:

I'm pretty sure that Peter Thomas, CEO of PMC uses a full Bryston set to power his BB5's, at least thats what he said at the CES show in Vegas. 

I believe it was 4 power amp for each side, 1 each for the twetter, midrange, bass & sub, with active crossover. 

I could be wrong but I know thats their prefered setup, and what I was told.

Not sure if its been mentioned before , but I believe Peter's  current system is described in the following article  , with a few pics.

http://www.the-ear.net/how-to/ultimate-listening-room