PMC Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

Thought I would make a few comments now my Twenty5.22s have somewhere between 50 – 100 hrs on them.

Listening impressions are pretty much in line with @AussieMick post yesterday. I have been most impressed by what I think is best described as the ambience of the reproduction which Mick sort of eluded to. The sense of what was intended or inadvertently created at the recording stage through production and/or the recording method and environment. I know this is spruiked by PMC (among many others) but it stood out before the marketing planted any placebo seed. 

Some albums I’ve listened to have been ‘A Day At The Races’, an old pressing of ‘Rubber Soul’, ‘Pink Moon’, ‘Boys For Pele’ (Tori Amos), ‘Isle Of Manx’ (Harry Manx), ‘Trinity Session’ (Cowboy Junkies)  and even Miles Davis on Nils Frahm’s ‘Late Night Tales’. These pieces are quite different in terms of the ambience / setting the artist was in, or was trying to conure, at the time of recording. The PMCs reproduce this in a truthful and positive way IMO. For e.g. the impression of the Beatles thrashing it out in a 1960s studio was fantastic, as was the open church-like feel of the Trinity Session recording.

Playing around with toe-in I find less is more in my far from standard rectangular listening room. Giving them a bit more (~ 8%) the soundstage narrowed far too much to a point it was off-centre, and the imaging was unrealistic, compared to what I started at (~ 5%). Probably sacrificing a bit of detail (more listening required), slightly less angle again produced a deeper, wider and more believable soundstage, with well-spaced and very stable imaging. Listening to Trinity Session was excellent in this respect.

To put things into perspective I’ve come from Dynaudio X12s, which as good as they were, can’t be expected to have the same abilities as the much larger PMCs, and could be seen as a relatively low base. I also haven’t done a great deal of listening but am looking forward to it. As an interesting measure my (non-HiFi loving) wife used to always think that our system sounded ‘fine’ so didn’t see the value in upgrading. But since the 5.22s have been in action she is making regular comments on how great everything sounds and best of all is listening to more music again.

System wise the speakers are being driven by a W4S STi500 (yep Class D). Source wise is Aries Mini, or old Phillips CDP as transport, into Metrum Musette DAC, or vinyl via Technics 1200 Mk5 /Jelco/DV10x5, and Dynavector P75 phono stage. Stands are Apollo (500 mm) mass filled.

Here are a couple of iPhone pics. Not great with the sun and gloss black.

IMG_4734.thumb.JPG.d4e3034ca191a3ab7799164195889f1d.JPGIMG_4737.thumb.JPG.d930cb10dd456f5709349f0d4f6383ca.JPG

Edited by adamg
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm not a PMC owner - yet, but I have been very impressed with the Adam's Twenty5 .22.

Yes I/m ready to trade up from my loved Zu's sound - I must be ageing.

The question i'd like to ask is who has heard the twenty5 range for a comparison.

How to the .22 compare with the .24 - same size driver's

and then onto the .26's?

I have no issue with the .22 sound it's just I'm not into stands really.  I like the full box experience.

Any thoughts appreciated 

cheers Damo.

I've heard the entire range a few times and for me the standouts of the range are the .22 and .26 in terms of balance. The .23 was warmer than the .22 but it had nowhere near the detail and openness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, DAMO 1147 said:

I have no issue with the .22 sound it's just I'm not into stands really.  I like the full box experience.

I was of a similar mindset, always had full towers and bought the Twenty5.22's just for general listening but kept a pair of B&W 804 D2's for something a bit more serious.
Since picking up the 22's i have barely touched the B&W's and at no point have a ever felt the 22's were lacking in comparison to the B&W's.
Initially i hooked up an 8" active sub with the PMC's however found really wasn't necessary so removed it.
I guess it comes down to the size of your listening space.
In my case i'm filling a 4.2m x 5.5m lounge room which opens up to a kitchen area of 3.5m x 5m, not a huge space, but not tiny either.
I'd say if you were filling a larger space the 26's would be a better option, with the 24's basically being the full cabinet version of the 22's capable of delivering 
a lower bottom end.
Bang for buck the 22's are certainly the standout amongst the lineup for me, but in a money no object scenario i'd probably opt for the 26's

The "ageing" topic probably pays a big part in how i listen and what i listen to, a few years ago i was listening to predominantly heavy rock/classic rock
and the sort of music that demanded a substantial rig, at the ripe age of 38 i'm now listening to a lot more mellow music, Jazz, Classical and fairly minimalist orchestral music and as far as setup is concerned i'm finding less is more in that space.

I've heard the entire range a few times and for me the standouts of the range are the .22 and .26 in terms of balance. The .23 was warmer than the .22 but it had nowhere near the detail and openness.

• 6 months later...
On ‎18‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 2:38 PM, AussieMick said:

I was so impressed with twenty5.26 specially the sound it produces, how could this be coming out from this size of speaker, I enjoy listening to all music I can throw to Twenty5.26 every night.

I have one for sale atm here if anyone interested in "like new" condition.

I auditioned mb2se last week and the sounds was unbelievable engaging.  No wonder not many you will find used mb2se in the world, all owners hang to it as it easily beat some of the speakers way more expensive.

• Like 1

My perception of the Twenty.22 was: Very lean with bass hardly audible, but very fast and rhythmic, even mid range and treble with loads of detail, but also in your face and tiring, and the treble was loud! Very bright speaker.

The Twenty.23 solved a couple of issues: It was even in the bass and much weightier than the 22, the mid range was more laid back, relaxed, and easier to listen to, and the treble, although not as smooth as the 22, was a lot softer and more neutral, nowhere near as bright as the 22.

That's why I bought the 23 when I had to choose.

From what I hear on this thread, it sounds like PMC has fixed the shortcomings of the Twenty.22 in the Twenty5.22. I might have to go listen.

On 2/19/2018 at 12:23 PM, mtf said:

So much so that at times it feels like a hug:wub:

I find it very hard to leave the house on the mornings I indulge in a little music before I head into the office. and cant wait to get home in the evenings. 

I want for nothing when it comes to speakers.

• Like 1

On 01/07/2017 at 8:11 PM, Antuan Phantom said:

Thank you to all who have replied.  

Please feel free to come the comments coming.

I love to read your thoughts on PMC speakers, amp, accessories and any other speaker brands for the same price that may be equal or better than the PMC mb2 se speakers.

I need some help from hifi community (exclude distributor) who has international shipping knowledge and courier from seller place to airport and I can pick up the item from Melbourne international airport.

I have researched all over the net and called hifi stores in Melbourne and the going price for PMC mb2 se is $44,595.  They are on sale now at the lifestyle store in NSW for $39,999.  These are crazy price beyond the price i saw them when i first heard them at Carlton audio for approx. $21k (mb 2i model).

I have found 1 pair of PMC mb2 se speakers (ex demo) for sale in UK - asking $20.3k AUD. This is without negotiation.  

I think i can get it down to $18k-$19k.

The seller will not help deliver the item to their airport so that it can be shipped to Melbourne.

The dealer will only deliver within their own country.

Can anyone provide a step by step instructions with contacts, email, name of shipping company, courier company that can do this at a fair price?

Also what's the best way to pay for the item ie PayPal. 

Or do I take a holiday to UK and purchase, pay and organise shipment from there back to Melb.

Thank you in advance

59577492aeace_PMCmb2se.thumb.jpg.d832e4bb611067b46e8a468e530588b3.jpg

How did you go with shipping. I know of a Hong Kong guy who bought a pair from the UK, shipping to KH was outrageous, they faulted and the HK dealer wouldn't touch them. Had to ship them back to the UK and back again. 

All in all, cost him more than buying them locally. 

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎23‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:21 PM, sjay said:

I find it very hard to leave the house on the mornings I indulge in a little music before I head into the office. and cant wait to get home in the evenings. 

I want for nothing when it comes to speakers.

I missed my 25.26 I can imagine mb2se will be very addictive.

My pmc 25.26 clip here

• Like 4

I missed my 25.26 I can imagine mb2se will be very addictive.
My pmc 25.26 clip [mention=110024]msetjadi[/mention]Nice setup. What speaker/IC/power cables are you using?

I use

Transparent The Link 200 interconnect
Vitus Andromeda Power Cable
In-Akustik LS 4004 Air Speaker Cable

• 2 weeks later...

Have put 100hrs on my Twenty5.23 - Spent an extensive amount of time switching between the 22s and 23s they both present very differently agree with the previous comment 22s more upfront and analytical, 23 more laid back. went with the 23s as I've had upfront speakers in the past and tired of them, plus the small tires suit my room setup better

Although the presentation is not as upfront as the 22s the 23 still present all the detail, speed and slam just doesn't through it in your face but it is all there. Very unique to find this combination and just felt I could live with it every day.

Really enjoying them they are transparent and really show up whats further ahead in the signal chain. currently running them off an anthem AVR which is no slough for music but it sounds processed especially on vocals and I know if I feed it better quality it will pay me back in spades

Wanting to have a play with something vintage like Sansui before I pull the trigger next year on some high end amplification ie Bryston. The store I demoed them was running Roon into a Chord Hugo into Bryson integrated didn't leave you wanting for much.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

Ive got the big studio rig - PMC-BB5-XBD-A 

Thats the active 15"3 way with active 15"bass bins 

The sound is out of this world 

I wanted LOUD and clear and my Hifi guy delivered 

We measured 120db at the seat and it sounded better than a live show LOL 

Moving house soon and i'm going to let the rig go, as i'm spending all the time i have on Netflix and movies.

Mega stereo with a young family not working out. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, scobb said:

I've had a pair of OB1's for nearly 10 years now.  I've never found a suitable tri wire cable, can anyone suggest some jumpers? 

Cardas Make an Excellent Tri Wire Cable Harness--I've used it on my Avalon Ascent II's

Reasonable price too--recommended.

Willco

On 09/04/2018 at 11:48 PM, mpearce38 said:

Have put 100hrs on my Twenty5.23 - Spent an extensive amount of time switching between the 22s and 23s they both present very differently agree with the previous comment 22s more upfront and analytical, 23 more laid back. went with the 23s as I've had upfront speakers in the past and tired of them, plus the small tires suit my room setup better

Although the presentation is not as upfront as the 22s the 23 still present all the detail, speed and slam just doesn't through it in your face but it is all there. Very unique to find this combination and just felt I could live with it every day.

Really enjoying them they are transparent and really show up whats further ahead in the signal chain. currently running them off an anthem AVR which is no slough for music but it sounds processed especially on vocals and I know if I feed it better quality it will pay me back in spades

Wanting to have a play with something vintage like Sansui before I pull the trigger next year on some high end amplification ie Bryston. The store I demoed them was running Roon into a Chord Hugo into Bryson integrated didn't leave you wanting for much.

Hmmm if I was going to spend that kind of coin on amplification for the PMC's I'd consider this combo:

http://www.exposurehifi.com/products/category/fifty-series.html

Exposure goes very nicely with PMC ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,  just borrowed a pair of Twenty5.22's for audition and I'm left speechless.

In recent times I've spent a substantial amount of money for little return with other bookshelf brands, the PMC's

totally obliterate them. Their ability to engage the listener is unique, especially for a 5k stand mount.

I've had B&W 805D's, Marten Duke's and Dynaudio S1.4LE's on the more expensive end and neither  possessed the all round dynamics of the PMC.

I played some older CD recordings from the 60' and 70's, in particular LOVE(Forever Changes) came to mind, the inner detail from guitar strings, stop start passages and all the emotion vocals offered was a hair raising experience. It didn't, sound like an old recording, more of a you are there experience, head shaking. 

Thirty six SACD's and CD's were played from all genres, I tried hard to fault the speaker but found little if any.

Anyway ordered an Amarone pair knowing at last and end game speaker.

cheers Frank.

• Like 5
  • Love 1