PMC Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

On 29/08/2018 at 12:43 PM, DAMO 1147 said:

Your front end looks great, are you sold on the plinius as best match so far?

No wouldn't say sold. I'm running the Plinius into to Dynaudio DM3/7's at the moment and this is a good combo. I think the Plinius likes the 'challange' of driving the big Dyn's.

I actually like the PMC's with the Exposure sound. Running mine off an Exposure Classic xxviii power amp atm and they sound damn fine.

I'd love to run them off the Exposure 5000 series pre/power one day but don't have a spare $13k ?

Edited by blakey72
  • Like 1

Hello

Relatively new here although I have had a set of OB1's for about 15 years.

Just took delivery of a pair of new MB2's. They sound pretty good out of the box. Anyone want to say how long they will take to run in?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ABK456 said:

Hello

Just took delivery of a pair of new MB2's. They sound pretty good out of the box. Anyone want to say how long they will take to run in?

Unfortunately it’s at least 400 hours for the treble to relax and really open up.  Probably more like 800 hours for complete satisfaction.

6 hours ago, ABK456 said:

Hello

It took about a month to get mine placed well in my room, I think it was more getting the placement right then the speakers opening up.

• Like 1

On 03/09/2018 at 9:38 PM, ABK456 said:

Thanks, Terrible job then, Just have to listen to all that music....

I weep for you having that job. Yeah I agree with sjay, placement is the key. I still haven't got my little TB2S+'s right. I keep moving them out into the room to breath and my wife keeps telling me to move them back........Damn her ?

• Like 1

My Twenty5.26's are really starting to sound great.

Been having issues with distortions which I traced back to the 2qute DAC having a 3v output and overloading the SA94 preamps , 2.5v inputs.

Solved with a pair of 10db rothwell attenuators.

Funny that the speaker is revealing enough to bring this out straight away. I thought it was the speakers ?  so I tried the LS50's and the distortion on was there, buried deep.

On 03/09/2018 at 7:28 PM, sjay said:

It took about a month to get mine placed well in my room, I think it was more getting the placement right then the speakers opening up.

It would be interesting to test this by moving them back to the spot where you were less happy and see whether the sound changes. I have been surprised at how much speakers can change while running in. 

13 hours ago, blakey72 said:

I weep for you having that job. Yeah I agree with sjay, placement is the key. I still haven't got my little TB2S+'s right. I keep moving them out into the room to breath and my wife keeps telling me to move them back........Damn her ?

Have you thought about moving your wife??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys ,

I have joined PMC club. Absolutely stoked with my PMC Twenty .24 Speakers. Just want some help setting these up. These are in my basement and bass seem to be lacking for some reason. I compared these to Monitor Audio Silver 8 side by side. PMC were more precise and clear but Silver 8 had much better bass. I auditioned the 0.23 at Carlton audio with my QUAD  amps and the bass was very good. Placement at the moment is as per the photo. Any tips from PMC owners.

Thanks

Gill

20180918_173852.jpg

• Like 1

@gillmaverick It looks like a good position for bass response, unless there's a room issue like a mode, in which case you could move them 20cm forward to check.

Before doing that I'd make sure the speaker cable is connected correctly on both the amplifier and the speakers, red-red and black-black. If one connection is wrong they might be cancelling the bass due to phase problems.

20 minutes ago, audio_file said:

@gillmaverick It looks like a good position for bass response, unless there's a room issue like a mode, in which case you could move them 20cm forward to check.

Before doing that I'd make sure the speaker cable is connected correctly on both the amplifier and the speakers, red-red and black-black. If one connection is wrong they might be cancelling the bass due to phase problems.

Hi Mate ,

Speaker cables are all attached correct. I  can confirm. What confuses me is why monitor audio had better bass at the same position.

11 minutes ago, gillmaverick said:

Hi Mate ,

Speaker cables are all attached correct. I  can confirm. What confuses me is why monitor audio had better bass at the same position.

Well the Silver 8's are rear ported so I would expect the bass response to be different in the same position. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, gillmaverick said:

Will move them forward a bit tomorrow and see if that helps.

I am on my 4th pair of PMC's so know them some what well. They take time to place and the room has a big effect on them. Move them out to increase bass, move them back to decrease it. 

Set them up in a equilateral triangle with your sweet spot at the tip. You will know when you find the right spot for them placement wise, the smile on your face will be a dead give away.

If all that fails, try another amp with more power. They do like to be pushed around, not politely asked.

• Like 2

Hi Gill,

I just recently acquired a pair of 25.24s and have them set up in a 6mt x 7mt room, the amount of bass they

produce is quite sizeable, fills the room up comfortably.

I'm not sure if the 20.24's produce as much as the 25.24's, but that room also looks quite large. What are the dimensions?

The Monitor Audio's will also put out stacks of bass as have 8 inch full range drivers and are rear ported mentioned before. 

1 hour ago, gillmaverick said:

Thanks for your suggestions Guys . Basement size  is 12 m X 4.5 m. I will move these forward and toe them in and see how I go. Will report back later today.

Cheers

That is a massive room, how close do you sit from the speakers when you listen?